World Music Cup: Groups G&H, Match 3

Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

Welcome to the final match for groups G and H. After this session ends, the two nations in each group with the highest point total advance to the knockout stage. The others are eliminated.

Listen to all of the songs at least once and select the two in each group that you most prefer.

If there is a problem with any of the links (e.g., region locks, dead links), please mention it in a post below and do not vote for that group until you have heard each of the songs.

Voting for this session ends 19 February at approximately 11:59pm UTC / 6:59pm EST. After votes have been tallied the nation in each group with the most votes receives 3 points, the nation with second-most votes 2 points, third-most votes gets 1 point, and the last-placed nation 0. Nations that finish tied divide the points of their positions.

Note that voting for groups E&F remains open until 16 February.

Group G
ALGERIA
A chorus of women with a female soloist – The Bride
This is a marriage celebration from a Berber people known as the Kabyles who "represent one of the oldest Northwestern African civilizations [and] hold poetry and music in high esteem." [I'm a bit worried about this one; please post immediately if this is region-locked for you; but the Murcof entry was from a similar source and no one seemed to have problems with it. If all else fails, try listening to the 30 second sample on Smithsonian Folkways' website linked above.]

COLOMBIA
Bomba Estereo – Fuego
This aptly titled song is a modern take on cumbia, filtered through house and dancehall to make the style known as digital cumbia.

JAPAN
Perfume – Fake It
The Japanese manager examines his bench and strokes his chin. The inability of South Korea's Girl's Generation to connect for goals weighs heavy on his mind. Surely if South Korea failed with an offensive anchored by a sugary girl group, what chance would Japan have with the same strategy? Especially when South Korea had, like, 50 girls in their group while Japan only has three. Moreover, dance-pop in general has fared poorly all tournament. The manager sighs and begins to mutter silently to himself. The team stares at him perplexed. "Perfume," the manager begins, "start warming up. You will be representing your country today. Regardless of how you perform, it is important that the people in attendance experience J-Pop in all of its glory." Perfume nod and rush to the field, surprised but with a swaggering jog. - Jeff

ITALY
Ministri - Bevo

Group H
ETHIOPIA
Mulatu Astatke – Yegelle Tezeta
Dummy-team submission by spiritualized

CANADA
Natalie MacMaster - In My Hands Volcanic Jig

INDIA
A. R. Rahman - Jai Ho
I don't like this song, but it's pretty popular, so why not use its popularity? It might do well. - luney6

FRANCE
MC Solaar - Nouveau Western
Jeff
Different Class

Re: World Music Cup: Groups G&H, Match 3

Post by Jeff »

Results
In Group C, another closely-matched voting session! I guess this is the benefit of having such light participation in this poll: every vote is significant and most every matchup has seen razor-thin voting margins. Anyway, Jamaica wins the round with 6 votes, then things get interesting. Israel jumped out to a big lead with Jamaica early in the session. However, Ghana and Russia treated the crowd to a thrilling comeback in the second half. Once voting had finished, all three nations had 4 votes, triggering a three-way tie for second.
Jamaica 3 points, 6 votes
Ghana 1 point, 4 votes
Israel 1 point, 4 votes
Russia 1 point, 4 votes

They had a disastrous first match, but Jamaica is still able to win Group C thanks to two consecutive wins. Ghana seem to have rested on their laurels a bit after winning the first match, but they nevertheless have enough total points to finish second. Israel and Russia have the same number of total votes, but Israel got more of theirs when it counted and best Russia for third. This group was stellar from top to bottom all tournament and it's a shame that Israel and Russia are eliminated despite their songs having connected with so many voters. I cannot know for a fact that every single one of these nations would have advanced if placed in any other group, but it seems a likely possibility to me.
1. Jamaica 6 points | 15 votes | 54%
2. Ghana 5 | 17 | 61%
3. Israel 4 | 12 | 43%
4. Russia 3 | 12 | 43%

Voting was less balanced in Group D, though the top and bottom two teams were nearly even. Germany and Argentina emerged as the standouts early in the match, stifling England and South Korea and leaving them with few opportunities for goals. Argentina was the slightly sharper side, meaning they take first with 7 votes, while Germany trailed with 6. England was able to top South Korea for third by a margin of 3-2.
Argentina 3 points, 7 votes
Germany 2 points, 6 votes
England 1 point, 3 votes
South Korea 0 points, 2 votes

Germany established itself from match one as the top team in the group. Argentina came storming back to win the last two matches, but could not overcome Germany's early lead. Germany and Argentina finish with the same amount of points, but Germany netted more total votes due to Argentina's struggles in the first match. England started the group stage strong and then quickly faded to finish third. South Korea finish last with a mere one point.
1. Germany 7 points | 20 votes | 71%
2. Argentina 7 | 16 | 57%
3. England 3 | 12 | 43%
4. South Korea 1 | 8 | 29%

Scheduling note: There's going to be a bit of a break before the knockout stage begins. I will post the results of Groups E&F and G&H in their match threads since this is the last of the group stage sessions. The Round of 16 starts 21 February and will run for 6 days. The following day (27 February) is used for tiebreakers if needed.

Also, please remember that you can still submit songs for the dummy nations! So far, Jamaica is the only one to advance--and thankfully has plenty of songs thanks to DaveC. However, that's likely to change during the last four groups (Cuba and Algeria are well-positioned to advance, for starters).
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Group G: Colombia and Japan
Group H: Ethiopia and France
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

This was a strong group. I liked the percussion on the Algerian song and enjoyed the Italy track even though it's from a genre I'm not usually a big fan of.

Group H: Ethiopia and France
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Group H: Ethiopia and Canada
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Group G: Colombia & Italy
Group H: Ethiopia & Canada
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

(How could I not vote for Japan after that rousing introduction? The three young ladies certainly gave it their all!)

Group H: Ethiopia and Canada
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Group G
Colombia and Italy

Group H
Ethiopia and France

Ethiopia is so great.
Thanks to Spiritualized (another recommandation by this artist?)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Romain wrote:Group G

Ethiopia is so great.
Thanks to Spiritualized (another recommandation by this artist?)
Since you backed my favorite track from Italy (Ministri), you can try this one :)
PS - I smell a whiff of a FIFA-type scandal in this tournament already, but I promise, I didn't buy Romain's vote, and he didn't mine. I was always going to vote for Solaar anyways !! :music-listening:
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

spiritualized wrote:
Since you backed my favorite track from Italy (Ministri), you can try this one :)

PS - I smell a whiff of a FIFA-type scandal in this tournament already, but I promise, I didn't buy Romain's vote, and he didn't mine. I was always going to vote for Solaar anyways !! :music-listening:

Thanks for the song. I will dig his discography.
And, Mister the jurés, I can assure you I'm innocent, I never look who selected the song before my vote for not to be influenced.

Whatever, you can not proove anything. :mrgreen:

P.S. : spiritualized, where is your vote... les carottes sont cuites, je répète, les carottes sont cuites !
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Non non, j'ai toujours de l'espoir pour l'Italie, royaume des arrangements entre amis :)

Group A :
Colombia - great track, almost beaten by the J-pop one, but there's an attitude I prefer in this artist rather than the almost sickly sweetness of the Japan entry
Italy : of course ! This track, if any, proves that you can keep the rawk going WHILST not singing in English. Brilliant hook, amazing energy. Shame they're not more popular outside of Italy. Check the comments on YouTube, all in Italian...

Group B : Ethiopia and France.
Head and Shoulders above the rest of the group. Solaar has always been my favourite hip hop artist coming from France. He has a delivery and a wit I have never experienced since then. Yes, you do have to be Francophone/phile to understand all the subtleties of his lyrics, but if you don't, the beats and samples more than make up for it. No wonder Romain chose this track, great Gainsbourg sample.
BITUSSR
Start Me Up

Post by BITUSSR »

Group A: Colombia & Japan
Group B: Ethiopia & France
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

Last day to vote in this round. As it stands, it looks like a team is going from first place to being eliminated. Such drama in this game.
Romain wrote:
spiritualized wrote:

Thanks for the song. I will dig his discography.
And, Mister the jurés, I can assure you I'm innocent, I never look who selected the song before my vote for not to be influenced.

Whatever, you can not proove anything. :mrgreen: !
Corruption? In a FIFA-style tournament? Nonsense. As president, I would like to unequivocally state that there is no corruption and remind everyone that we are a humble non-profit. :whistle:
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

Results
Despite already being eliminated, Colombia played a masterful game, winning 100% of the vote and taking first. Japan finished with 5 votes, narrowly edging out Italy for second. Algeria entered the round as group leaders, but found themselves unable to score goals and place last. Again we see what a poor idea it is to use a traditional folk song in this game.
Colombia 3 points, 8 votes
Japan 2 points, 5 votes
Italy 1 point, 3 votes
Algeria 0 points, 0 votes

Group H saw the same vote totals as Group G. Ethiopia stormed out to a big lead and finished with 100% of the vote. France finished second. Canada attempted to make life difficult for France; however, Canada were unable to keep pace for the entire match. Like Algeria, India went voteless.
Ethiopia 3 points, 8 votes
France 2 points, 5 votes
Canada 1 point, 3 votes
India 0 points, 0 votes

Japan becomes the first (and only) Asian team to advance to the knockout stage by seizing the lead of Group G from Algeria. Algeria, the group leader after match two, end with the same point total as Italy, meaning second comes down to whichever team has a higher vote percentage. Italy, due in part to Algeria's awful final match, finished with two more group stage votes, securing their advancement while eliminating Algeria. Colombia finish last, having only scored points in the final match. Oddly, Colombia has the second highest vote total in the group. Arguably, this group was even more competitive than Group C.
Japan 6 points | 16 votes | 59%
Italy 4.5 | 13 | 48%
Algeria 4.5 | 11 | 41%
Colombia 3 | 14 | 52%

France and Ethiopia battled for control of Group H for the entire tournament, even drawing each other in match two. They finish with the same point total, but France has the slightest of edges in vote percentage, thanks to receiving a single more vote than Ethiopia. Canada tried to make Group H a three-horse race, but faded down the stretch. India could never find much rhythm despite flashes of brilliance and finish last.
France 6.5 | 19 | 70%
Ethiopia 6.5 | 18 | 67%
Canada 4 | 10 | 37%
India 1 | 7 | 26%

Thanks to everyone who voted in the group stage. The knockout stage starts Sunday, 21 February.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”