Kanye West's "The Life of Pablo"

Setherex
Movin' On Up

Kanye West's "The Life of Pablo"

Post by Setherex »

[imgsize 500x500]http://pitchfork-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/c ... ransparent[/imgsize]

"The Life of Pablo"
Kanye West
Hip Hop
February 13, 2016

01. "Ultralight Beam" [feat. Chance the Rapper & Kirk Franklin]
02. "Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1" [feat. Kid Cudi]
03. "Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 2" [feat. Desiigner]
04. "Famous" [feat. Rihanna]
05. "Feedback"
06. "Low Lights"
07. "High Lights" [feat. Young Thug]
08. "Freestyle 4" [feat. Desiigner]
09. "I Love Kanye"
10. "Waves" [feat. Chris Brown]
11. "FML" [feat. The Weeknd]
12. "Real Friends" [feat. Ty Dolla $ign]
13. "Wolves" [feat. Frank Ocean & Caroline Shaw]
14. "Silver Surfer Intermission"
15. "30 Hours"
16. "No More Parties in LA" [feat. Kendrick Lamar]
17. "Facts (Charlie Heat Version)"
18. "Fade" [feat. Post Malone & Ty Dolla $ign]

Album is streaming with a Tidal account.
Last edited by Setherex on Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:16 am, edited 17 times in total.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Re: Kanye West's "The Life of Pablo"

Post by notbrianeno »

Literally can't believe this is coming out tomorrow.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I'll believe it when I hear it. And even then I might not believe it.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I'll join the chorus of skeptics on this one. Kanye has the type of ego that would drop the album without any notice whatsoever.

Also, "Life Of Pablo" is almost as bad of a title as "SWISH". If it's actually the title...
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

I'm totally behind the title. It's the most intriguing yet and depending on who Pablo is, it could be packed with meaning. I'm sure there are better titles out there, though, but this one is my favorite so far.

edit: Also, I'm finna start a riot if "No More Parties in L.A." doesn't make the final cut.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

GucciLittlePiggy wrote:I'm totally behind the title. It's the most intriguing yet and depending on who Pablo is, it could be packed with meaning. I'm sure there are better titles out there, though, but this one is my favorite so far.

edit: Also, I'm finna start a riot if "No More Parties in L.A." doesn't make the final cut.
My first thought was Escobar, but Picasso or Neruda are plausible. If it even refers to a famous Pablo that is.

And I really hope that NMPILA makes the track list, especially hoping that the track with the irresistible name of "Freestyle 4" turns out to be it.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Nick wrote:
GucciLittlePiggy wrote:I'm totally behind the title. It's the most intriguing yet and depending on who Pablo is, it could be packed with meaning. I'm sure there are better titles out there, though, but this one is my favorite so far.

My first thought was Escobar, but Picasso or Neruda are plausible. If it even refers to a famous Pablo that is.

And I really hope that NMPILA makes the track list, especially hoping that the track with the irresistible name of "Freestyle 4" turns out to be it.
My guess is Pablo Picasso cos NMPILA had a line "I feel like Pablo when I'm workin' on my shoes".

My favorite title is still SWISH.
I feel like that
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

I think I had enough (yes, before the beginning). I don't know if this is going to be the new strategy of promotion on major releases but it's not going to work for me. I've decided not to listen to the new Kaney West album, I'm fed up of announcements, track listings, change of titles and all that hype. If finally the album manages to end on the Top 3 of the AM list by the end of the year maybe I'll finally give it a chance. But I'll wait a whole year, I got no urgency at all of listening to it, all that hype killed my curiosity completely.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Honorio wrote:I think I had enough (yes, before the beginning). I don't know if this is going to be the new strategy of promotion on major releases but it's not going to work for me. I've decided not to listen to the new Kaney West album, I'm fed up of announcements, track listings, change of titles and all that hype. If finally the album manages to end on the Top 3 of the AM list by the end of the year maybe I'll finally give it a chance. But I'll wait a whole year, I got no urgency at all of listening to it, all that hype killed my curiosity completely.
I hear you, this has been just about the messiest album release of all time.
I feel like that
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

PlasticRam wrote:
Honorio wrote:I think I had enough (yes, before the beginning). I don't know if this is going to be the new strategy of promotion on major releases but it's not going to work for me. I've decided not to listen to the new Kaney West album, I'm fed up of announcements, track listings, change of titles and all that hype. If finally the album manages to end on the Top 3 of the AM list by the end of the year maybe I'll finally give it a chance. But I'll wait a whole year, I got no urgency at all of listening to it, all that hype killed my curiosity completely.
Quite messy, but I feel like "The Life of So Help Me Swish Waves Pablo" has nothing on "Chinese Democracy" or "Detox" or "SMiLE".
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

I don't know. At least for the last few weeks, the only marketing for the album has been Kanye's Twitter feed. Compared to Yeezus, which involved flash mobs projecting six-story Kanye faces onto metropolitan skyscrapers, the marketing push seems muted. It's more that the music press (and us, mea culpa) blows every one of these tweets out of proportion.

I tend to think that Kanye's painted himself into a corner creatively, but if there's one way to follow-up Yeezus, it's with a prog rock musical biography of Pablo Picasso. :D

Is this album coming out on vinyl or CD? How is this even being shipped for a Friday release if he's still changing the title and tracklisting days before it comes out?
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Kingoftonga wrote: Is this album coming out on vinyl or CD? How is this even being shipped for a Friday release if he's still changing the title and tracklisting days before it comes out?
CD and vinyl release is likely at a later date. Fairly common these days.
I feel like that
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Nick wrote:
PlasticRam wrote:
Quite messy, but I feel like "The Life of So Help Me Swish Waves Pablo" has nothing on "Chinese Democracy" or "Detox" or "SMiLE".
I too immediately thought of Chinese Democracy...and look how the album turned out...
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Listyguy wrote: I too immediately thought of Chinese Democracy...and look how the album turned out...
Hey, we at least knew the name of that album a good decade before it was released.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

So...Is this actually out?

Today is release day. Where is the album?
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

whuntva wrote:So...Is this actually out?

Today is release day. Where is the album?
Kanye will be debuting his new fashion line in a sold out show at Madison Square Gardens today at 4:00 EST (approximately three hours after I write this post), which will also be streaming online. The fashion line has some sort of connection to the album, perhaps going in sync with it. So most are expecting the album to release at either the start or end of the show.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Album cover added.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

But for reals, this is going to be thrill of a lifetime.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:But for reals, this is going to be thrill of a lifetime.
I can already tell I'm going to have a ridiculous amount of things to say about this album, but you put a very good thought into my head. Though I very much like the style of the album cover, it didn't strike me at first of appearing rushed. But that seems to have been an ongoing theme over the last month or so of this album's cycle - this album was worked on until the last second, in a very rushed manner. The picture's simplicity and staggered design visualizes that.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

The livestream of Kanye's MSG show has begun - the performance will start in roughly 12 minutes.

http://tidal.com/us/tidalxyeezy3-live
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

The album cover is...uhh...uhhhhhhh....uhhhhhh.....

Not my cup of tea.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I mean...

Have you seen his last two album covers?
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Stream keeps breaking down for me, but then again I am on a school computer.

How's it going so far?
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

whuntva wrote:Stream keeps breaking down for me, but then again I am on a school computer.

How's it going so far?
It hasn't begun as of the time I write this. Mine is also breaking down occasionally and I'm on an office computer.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Setherex wrote:
whuntva wrote:Stream keeps breaking down for me, but then again I am on a school computer.

How's it going so far?
It hasn't begun as of the time I write this. Mine is also breaking down occasionally and I'm on an office computer.
Scratch that. Models are walking out.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Setherex wrote:
Setherex wrote:

How's it going so far?
Scratch that. Models are walking out.
Scratch THAT. Kardashians are walking out.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

BleuPanda wrote:I mean...

Have you seen his last two album covers?
True (if you mean WTT and Yeezus), but the cover to MBDTF is amazing.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

This is fascinating.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

You can really tell the cover was thrown together at the last minute when he finally settled on a title. And for what it's worth, I adore the covers for both MBDTF and WTT as well as the not-cover for Yeezus.

And the inclusion of "FACTS" but no "NMPILA" is really upsetting. However, the Frank and Chance features may more than make up for it.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

GucciLittlePiggy wrote:You can really tell the cover was thrown together at the last minute when he finally settled on a title. And for what it's worth, I adore the covers for both MBDTF and WTT as well as the not-cover for Yeezus.

And the inclusion of "FACTS" but no "NMPILA" is really upsetting. However, the Frank and Chance features may more than make up for it.
I don't see Facts on the track listing. I do wish NMPILA was on there. I was hoping for some bonus tracks with that, Only One, All Day, etc but that probably ain't happening.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

bootsy wrote:
GucciLittlePiggy wrote:You can really tell the cover was thrown together at the last minute when he finally settled on a title. And for what it's worth, I adore the covers for both MBDTF and WTT as well as the not-cover for Yeezus.

I don't see Facts on the track listing. I do wish NMPILA was on there. I was hoping for some bonus tracks with that, Only One, All Day, etc but that probably ain't happening.
This is the source I'm using: http://pitchfork.com/news/63479-frank-o ... -of-pablo/.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

http://pitchfork.com/news/63485-kanye-w ... ideo-game/

I hope this isn't real. This may be the strangest, most ill-advised thing Ye's ever done.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

GucciLittlePiggy wrote:http://pitchfork.com/news/63485-kanye-w ... ideo-game/

I hope this isn't real. This may be the strangest, most ill-advised thing Ye's ever done.
Oh, it's real.

The only word I have for this is...Tasteless. Kanye is many things, but he was never this nutty.

Anyway, I missed most of the stream. Was the music any good?
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

GucciLittlePiggy wrote:
bootsy wrote:

This is the source I'm using: http://pitchfork.com/news/63479-frank-o ... -of-pablo/.
Ah ok. I hadn't seen FACTS on any of the tracklistings since the announcement yesterday so this is new to me. Looks like the tracklist was originally 10 songs and now 11. Who knows on this album. It's like I don't believe anything until I have the album on my iPod and hear the song.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I was at a theatre watching the show. Definitely had some dope moments, but overall was kinda disappointing.
I feel like that
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

PlasticRam wrote:I was at a theatre watching the show. Definitely had some dope moments, but overall was kinda disappointing.
You mean the music/album itself disappointing or the overall show?
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

[imgsize 500x500]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ca_BmXhWAAEDj-6.jpg:large[/imgsize]

I don't know if this is the new cover or an alternate cover or a deluxe cover or what. But, as lord Kanye says, it is indeed "Another Cover."
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

The artwork is horrendous. I haven't heard any of the album yet, so I'll hold judgment in that department. Why wouldn't you use the branding from the Yeezy S3 show??

I just watched the part of the stream when he was trying to show people the game. Of course people weren't cheering the first time, it's a really cringe worthy idea when you just attach it to the end of the album launch/fashion show.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

bootsy wrote:
PlasticRam wrote:I was at a theatre watching the show. Definitely had some dope moments, but overall was kinda disappointing.
You mean the music/album itself disappointing or the overall show?
Well I have never been a fan of the fashion stuff, so the show was actually pretty good cos I didn't have high expectations and Kanye also made a couple of jokes and stuff. I was kind of disappointed by the music/album. It seemed a mixture of Yeezus/808s and still kinda maximalist like MBDTF, so it was here and there, not cohesive. Might grow on me/might sound better CDQ.
I feel like that
TimmyWing
Different Class

Post by TimmyWing »

Kanye seems to be the new Prince in terms of having the clout and arrogance to be able to ask for anything these days.

Wish I could fast-forward to the point when this album would be out! Cause clearly "out" has a different meaning for Kanye than it does for...y'know, people who'd want to buy the album...

EDIT: And yeah that cover is terrible. Can't even justify it no matter how much you stand by him. But then, the last time Kanye was being a bit weird then came out with a terrible album cover was MBDTF, which kind of redeemed it all...

Just out of interest, do people think he can ever match up to MBDTF again? I hated Yeezus personally, but I might be in the minority in that. I think something as good as Fantasy would have to sound very modern/completely different to anything he's done before.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Predictably, the immediate media coverage of the album launch is focused on one line in one song - a crass call-out to Taylor Swift in "Famous," continuing to needle her over something that happened almost seven freakin' years ago (and which was his fault, of course). Lots of people up in arms, including fellow celebs, followed by an embarrassing round of he-said-she-said (or, more accurately, his-rep-said-her-rep-said) in which Kanye claimed to have gotten "permission" from Taylor for the lyrics and her camp replied "Yeah, not so much." And, really, what's the point? Yes, it's a well-established fact by now that Kanye doesn't give a F what anyone thinks, but why do this? All it's doing is drawing attention away from the music.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

I feel like Kanye West's lyrical prowess and lyrical focus has been on a steady decline since 808s.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

luney6 wrote:I feel like Kanye West's lyrical prowess and lyrical focus has been on a steady decline since 808s.
It's changed because his style, musical stype has changed but on decline, no.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Is this streaming anywhere? Not on Spotify yet.

Surprised Only One not on the track list. Are we going back to the 60s convention of not putting singles on the albums?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Jirin wrote:Is this streaming anywhere? Not on Spotify yet.

Surprised Only One not on the track list. Are we going back to the 60s convention of not putting singles on the albums?

I think it's just Kanye having a different idea for the final album; I'd rather have a cohesive record than "Only One" tacked on simply because it exists. I just hope these tracks released between Yeezus and The Life of Pablo aren't ultimately forgotten.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

I couldn't imagine "Only One" sandwiched into any album. It's an experience in itself.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

http://pitchfork.com/news/63499-kanye-w ... -of-pablo/

More songs added, album will be released today (hopefully).
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

https://soundcloud.com/kanyewest/30-hours

New song on SoundCloud. I believe this was on an old tracklist, but got cut. Sadly, it's not actually 30 hours long.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

bootsy wrote:
luney6 wrote:I feel like Kanye West's lyrical prowess and lyrical focus has been on a steady decline since 808s.
It's changed because his style, musical stype has changed but on decline, no.
I guess so. Maybe I'm missing something, but what he's doing now seems too similar to what a lot of other rappers are doing, and not unique to him. I think I prefer his more thoughtful and introspective style. For some reason, the new matter doesn't stick with me as well as his old stuff.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”