R.I.P. Glenn Frey (1948-2016)

Setherex
Movin' On Up

R.I.P. Glenn Frey (1948-2016)

Post by Setherex »

Glenn Frey, a founding member and guitarist of the Eagles, has died ... TMZ has learned.

Frey had been battling intestinal issues for months and had surgery in November. We're told in the last few days his condition took a turn for the worse.

Glenn co-wrote and sang most of the Eagles hits, including "Take It Easy," "Tequila Sunrise," "Lyin' Eyes," and "Heartache Tonight," to name a few. He also co-wrote "Hotel California" and "Desperado" with Don Henley and took home 6 Grammys with the band.

After the Eagles' 1980 breakup, Glenn launched a successful solo career, recording numerous hits ... most notably "The Heat Is On" and "You Belong to the City."

Glenn also got into acting, snagging a recurring role on "Miami Vice."

He reunited with the Eagles in '94 for their monster Hell Freezes Over tour and recorded music till the end, releasing what would be his fifth and final solo LP, "After Hours," in 2012.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer had been fighting intestinal issues for awhile but his condition relapsed before the holidays, forcing the Eagles to pull out of their Kennedy Center Honors appearance in December. At the time, the band said he needed major surgery that would require a lengthy recovery.

Glenn was 67. RIP.
http://www.tmz.com/2016/01/18/glenn-fre ... gles-dead/
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Re: R.I.P. Glenn Frey (1948-2016)

Post by Andre »

No huge fans of Eagles or Frey around here? It speaks for itself that I am the first one to respond here after more than half a day, whereas Bowie's death triggered half a page of reactions in that same time frame.

Even though I was never a huge fan of the Eagles and was more fond of Don Henley as solo artist, Frey did have a big contribution to rock history and leaves behind some classic 70's songs.

May he rest in peace.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Yeah you do kind of wonder why no replies in this thread. I am not a huge Eagles fan although Hotel California album is a must but none of their other stuff interests me. I realize Frey/Eagles impact on music so may he RIP.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Man, the past month and a half have not been kind to famous musicians...rest in peace.

PS Setherex, are you the forum's official obituary writer? I feel like your always starting these threads.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Andre wrote:No huge fans of Eagles or Frey around here? It speaks for itself that I am the first one to respond here after more than half a day, whereas Bowie's death triggered half a page of reactions in that same time frame.

Even though I was never a huge fan of the Eagles and was more fond of Don Henley as solo artist, Frey did have a big contribution to rock history and leaves behind some classic 70's songs.

May he rest in peace.
Andre beat me to it, but I was thinking the same thing when I saw the thread this morning (although I knew there weren't a lot of big Eagles fans on the forum). I vowed to post my condolences as soon as I came home from work tonight, since I grew up with the Eagles and was a big fan. I especially love "One of These Nights" and "I Can't Tell You Why," but I was 14 when Glenn Frey came out with "You Belong To the City." I'll never forget that haunting sax that seemed to fit the mood and atmosphere of "Miami Vice" so perfectly. Great memories from my childhood all around. Thank you, Mr. Frey, and rest in peace. Like so many of the great musicians who have passed so suddenly and unexpectedly lately, you will be missed.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Rest in Peace Glenn Frey.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Listyguy wrote:PS Setherex, are you the forum's official obituary writer? I feel like your always starting these threads.
Haha, I suppose I am the AMF reaper for the time being. I figure it as more of a job of honoring these fabulous musicians, whether the public did or not, and whether the Forum itself responds or not. It's both important to me and important for the discussion on this board, I think.

But on a similar note, Glenn was one of the musicians I was exposed to most in my adolescence. Father always loved Eagles records, and although I never shared quite the same affection, I'll never shy away from a tequila sunrise once in a while. Glenn was an icon, and a man whose influence surges through both pop and rock equally today.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I love the eagles, and I respect Frey's contributions to the writing of many of the band's early songs, but he's probably my least favorite member of the band, even below Don Henley.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”