R.I.P. David Bowie (1947-2016)

Setherex
Movin' On Up

R.I.P. David Bowie (1947-2016)

Post by Setherex »

January 10 2016 - David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief.
https://www.facebook.com/davidbowie/pos ... 6666977665

I have no words.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Re: R.I.P. David Bowie (1947-2016)

Post by Zorg »

shocking news to wake up to in the morning!

RIP David Bowie, a true great.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Rest in Peace David Bowie.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

A true 20th century genius has died. RIP Mr. David Jones.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Oh merde ! I just ordered Blackstar. Since Gainsbourg's death, it's the first time the death of a musician touch me like that.
Thanks Mr. Bowie for all these wonderful songs.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

I couldn't sleep so I grabbed my phone to check out AMF and this was the first thing I saw. My first thought was it must have been a hoax. Truly unbelievable and heartbreaking. I hadn't even listened to Blackstar yet. Knowing he had to have been preparing for this while recording the album will give definitely affect how I listen to it. His legacy can never be overstated.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Very sad and quite a surprise.

Time and our mortality catches up to us all, even the best of us.

Let's continue to deeply cherish Bowie's great gifts for the rest of our lives.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

This is so upsetting. With Blackstar just being released I have had him on my mind the last few days. Silly daydreams of a small series of concerts which I manage to snag a ticket.

He lived one hell of a life, that's for sure.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Shocked. I put on "Heathen (The Rays)" while walking our dog, and I cried seeing the sunset - a brilliant display of yellow and orange on the day Bowie left the Earth.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Rest in peace. This is shocking :(
I feel like that
TimmyWing
Different Class

Post by TimmyWing »

RIP David Bowie. Really does put things into perspective - all the work that must have gone into the last album. It's a venerable send-off. May he sleep well.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Shocking. Been listening and appreciating his new songs the last couple of days. What I've heard of it, Blackstar is ambitious and satisfying, a great swansong.

What a talent, he's left a great legacy.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Utterly shocking and heartbreaking news, particularly in the wake of the flurry of press surrounding the album and Lazarus (not to mention his birthday on Friday). He obviously kept this extremely close, and just as obviously knew he was dying while making Blackstar, which (as has been said already) will add even more layers to an already-dense listening experience.

A truly extraordinary and visionary artist. To say he will be missed is a gigantic understatement.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

This is truly shocking news...which I guess is a compliment to how well Dave hid this from the public. I'm at a loss for words to be honest...
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Shocked and heartbroken. A musical and personal hero of mine.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

A couple days before he died I was talking to a friend about Lemmy. Last night I had a conversation with my girlfriend and her parents about David Bowie.

I should stop talking about aging rock stars.

Other than that, I'm pretty heartbroken. I haven't been this upset at a musician's death since MCA.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Nick wrote:I should stop talking about aging rock stars.
There will be many more saddening news I'm afraid, with a whole generation of rock icons getting near the end of their lives.

Bowie clearly did what he loved and what he did best, to the end. What a man.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

My brother had been sending me text messages on this since the middle of the night, in the form of cryptic, one-word, profane statements. Terrible news. Bowie isn't the only one I know recently who didn't clear 70, from cancer.

Some day (some year), I might do a thread covering the last recording(s) of some famous musicians/bands who have passed/broken up. The idea that these gods on Earth must perish is almost unfathomable, sort of like fully accepting one's own death.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Henrik wrote:
There will be many more saddening news I'm afraid, with a whole generation of rock icons getting near the end of their lives.
I'm honestly terrified of the day that the last Beatle dies. Or Dylan.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Just got into his music heavily in the past year. We lost a true genius, icon today. RIP.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I've long feared the day we start losing that generation of rock stars, but this feels so much different. The Next Day and Blackstar promised a revival, revealing Bowie as one of those rare artists who could be as innovative in his 60s as he was in his youth. Blackstar was already promising to go down as one of his finest records, but this marks it as one of the grandest statements I have ever witnessed.

I woke up this morning to tears, and I only discovered my love for him about 5 or 6 years ago; I can't imagine what it must have been like to grow up with his music. Not only was he a fantastic musician, he was a rare early figure to show how it wasn't just acceptable but wonderful to be a little different. Much like Lou Reed, his presence always meant something more to us weirdos. He permeated every part of our culture. I know many people who looked to Bowie as inspiration during their youth, a figure who represented a sense of growing acceptance in society.

We lost one of the world's greatest legends today.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Goodbye, Starman. Thank you for all those glorious songs and albums, and thank you for challenging social norms with such radiance. We'll miss you and won't forget you.
...will keep us together.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

As much as Sufjan is right when singing "we're all gonna die", some people can simply never die. David Bowie will live forever in our hearts.

Listened to Blackstar over the weekend already over 5 times and really admire it.
Now I am listening to the album again ... a different awareness.

What a great artist he was.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Last Saturday I received a phone message from a friend of mine: "DB just called me today, he asked me for the reaction of our European friends about his last album. Please tell me what you think about it." Knowing that probably my opinion could get to Bowie himself (I know he had read some things I've written for the forum, including a thread about the covers he has released throughout his career) I decided to give the album at least three listens before sending my opinion. So I listened to "Blackstar" on Saturday and again on Sunday. And I absolutely loved it, an adventurous album showcasing again the mastery of Bowie, not afraid of taking risks on this stage of his career (in any stage actually). So I planned to listen to the album again today and send my opinion to my friend.
But this morning while I was driving to work the man on the radio told that David Bowie was probably dead. And he played "Heroes." My first reaction was: no, it's not true, two days ago he phoned my friend. So I wrote a message to her (while driving, I know, I know, it's dangerous). Then the radio DJ said that the Facebook and Twitter accounts of David Bowie included a letter from the family confirming the sad news. Moreover he said that the Twitter account of Duncan Jones (Bowie's son) included a message along with a photograph of him as a child with his dad. Then it sounded the amazing "Lazarus" from the last album and I felt a lump in my throat. When the song was over further confirmations came, including the message from my friend and phone messages from some other friends. And then it happened. Just when I was entering the parking of the Hospital they played "Life on Mars" on the radio. And I couldn't hold it no more. I began to cry like a child. So much that I became afraid to have an accident. It was too painful, like losing a close friend. Or even worse.
So rest in peace, David Bowie. I'll never forget you. Never.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

RIP David Bowie Transcendent artist.

I don't think I will be listening to Blackstar just yet.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

I literately woke up to this news.This is really the first time I've been really saddened by a death of a celebrity. I really started getting into his music while trying to tackle this site's top 100. I was already familiar with "Space Oddity", back when I was 10 years old I was practically obsessed with the song. Now I would have to say my favorite song by him is "Life on Mars?". I have yet to listen to Blackstar and should probably do so today. Rest in Peace David.
There is No More Firmament.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

What is amazing to me is the amazing career resurgence Bowie was having, over these last 3, ultra-productive years. It is hard to find precedent, at least in pop, for someone ending so strongly, and with such apparent (though secret) awareness of his mortality. In classical, I guess we have Beethoven, Strauss, Schubert, Mahler, Mozart, and Tchaikovsky (and I'm sure others). I guess in pop there's Johnny Cash, but that was different, we knew it was coming but hoped we could get just a little bit more. Bowie was as much in the forefront as he'd been in 30 years. I wonder when he first became aware of his illness; was that what spurred him to put out The Next Day, and the increasingly adventurous and inspired music that followed?

If only we could all spend our last days like this, focusing the world on our inspired art rather than our individual pain. RIP David Bowie: You left us, but you left us a lot.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Stolen from someone on the Sterogum comments section-

"David Bowie could've done anything he wanted in the last months he had on Earth. And what he did was make an album for us."
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Nick wrote:
Henrik wrote:
I'm honestly terrified of the day that the last Beatle dies. Or Dylan.
Unfortunately this was one of the first things I thought too upon hearing the news. The emotions felt by music fans upon Bowie's death (along with Lou Reed, Captain Beefheart, and others who have died in recent years) will be unfortunately common over the next decade or so given how many giants in music are in their 60s and 70s. It makes me appreciate how many of them are still around, and a desire to see those that are still touring while they are still alive.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I also woke to this news and would not have guessed it would shock me so much. But then again, Bowie belongs to my most played artists. What's particularly striking is not just that he made a new album, but was also getting extra attention in the Netherlands because of a huge museum exhibition that's taking place here now, in the city of Groningen. Just yesterday I was talking to my dad on the phone to pick a date when we would visit the exhibition. This morning, before going to work, I was on the phone with my dad again, but we had something else to say about Bowie, sadly. We had picked coming Sunday to go to the exhibit, but because of the passing the ticket sales for this already successful exhibition has skyrocketed and we tickets are sold-out for a while. We'll have to pick a later date.

Nonetheless, this goes to show how much people still loved Bowie. The whole day, including at work, I've heard nothing but love for him. Always when a famous person dies it gets talked about, but only rarely as much as with Bowie. He's just an icon that defined so much. Since I'm back from work I spend some hours listening to Bowie before coming here. I finally got around to listening to Blackstar and if one listen is anything to go by, it might make my top 3 Bowie albums (together with Ziggy and Low). Too early for such statements, I know, but it is a completely captivating album. I also finally tried my hand at those mid-nineties albums that are frequently overlooked, but I know have some big fans. Turns out they were right. I started with Earthlings and it is quite great.

And the first song I listened to today was my favorite by Bowie: Young Americans. There he cries out: "Ain't there one damn song that can make me break down and cry?!" One artist could.
TimmyWing
Different Class

Post by TimmyWing »

Nick wrote:Other than that, I'm pretty heartbroken. I haven't been this upset at a musician's death since MCA.
He was the only other person I could compare to Bowie in this situation. When MCA died, I wasn't massively into the Beastie Boys, but I had a friend who was very deeply affected by it, not least because it was clear there was so much more great music they could have made. Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 is a fab album, but the fact MCA worked on it in the midst of his cancer battle was incredible.

What makes this hit somewhat harder, I suppose, is the fact there was no cancer diagnosis announcement here. There was just the aftermath of that. It would be naive to think Bowie was completely healthy working on The Next Day, but it was such a wonderful comeback I was grateful to see in my lifetime. Then Blackstar was announced, the singles were released, and I was ecstatic: he's hit another stride! There'll be great Bowie albums for years to come!

Honestly, when I listened to Blackstar over the weekend, I was a little disappointed. The style was great, the instrumentation was wonderful, and Bowie sounded fine. The problem with being a superfan and lapping up every release as it comes was that we were only really given 3 truly new tracks here - Blackstar and Lazarus were the singles, and Sue/'Tis Pity She Was a Whore were two-year-old singles re-recorded for this purpose. So it did feel slight, although the re-recordings were big improvements. I don't know, I guess I wanted to be more surprised. :( Be careful what you wish for.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

The stars for rating albums on RYM have gone from yellow to black. I'm assuming it's a tribute to Bowie.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Very shocking, sad news. I am deeply moved by all of the passionate, heartfelt comments throughout this thread. Nick's quote from Stereogum about how David Bowie could've spent his last days on Earth doing anything he wanted, but he chose to spend them making an album for his fans really struck me. As did Honorio's deeply personal reaction, since he created one of the best tributes I've ever read about an artist at the very beginning of his covers thread. It certainly highlights David Bowie's creativity, ear for great music, incredible versatility, and (especially) his complete unselfishness and loyalty to his friends. For anyone who hasn't had the privilege of reading it, I have attached the link below. (In fact, I just spent the past half hour rereading and remembering all the great covers David Bowie was responsible for, in addition to the extraordinary original - and I do mean original - material he left behind throughout his prolific career.)

At work, I had "Moonage Daydream" running through my head all day. I couldn't bring myself to actually listen to it out of fear of how emotional I might become. In fact, as much as I've been looking forward to hearing "Blackstar," it might be awhile before I can handle listening to it. But it sure gives me something wonderful to look forward to, especially since I already love the ambitious, unique title track. What a remarkable man and artist, who will be incredibly missed...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1207
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Todd Rundgren did a compelling version of "Rebel Rebel" as the third song in his three song encore at the Redwood City Fox Theatre. The concert in its entirety was wonderful.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

After dinner yesterday, just spent the entire evening going through his discography. Drifted off somewhere towards the end of Let's Dance. Thanks for all the wonderful music David.
Listyguy wrote:The stars for rating albums on RYM have gone from yellow to black. I'm assuming it's a tribute to Bowie.
Noticed this too. Such a small, yet clever way to pay their respects.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

This afternoon our national radio station did a listener's poll of their favourite Bowie songs.

http://stubru.be/davidbowie/heroesopeeninjulliebowie69

Here is the list
1. Heroes
2. Space Oddity
3. Life on Mars
4. Rebel Rebel
5. Ashes to Ashes
6. Let's Dance
7. Ziggy Stardust
8. Starman
9. Changes
10. Under Pressure
11. China Girl
12. Absolute Beginners
13. Lazarus
14. The Man who sold the world
15. Wild is the wind
16. Cat People (Putting out Fire)
17. Fame
18. Rock 'n' Roll Suicide
19. Modern Love
20. Five Years
21. The Jean Genie
22. Station to Station
23. Sound and Vision
24. Golden Years
25. Moonage Daydream
26. This is not America
27. Fashion
28. Dancing in the street
29. Amsterdam
30. Young Americans
31. Suffragette City
32. Blackstar
33. Quicksand
34. Boys keep swinging
35. Sorrow
36. Little Wonder
37. Always Crashing in the Same Car
38. Where Are we Now?
39. Iggy Pop - Lust for Life
40. Diamond Dogs
41. Oh! You Pretty Things
42. Blue Jean
43. Andy Warhol
44. The Laughing Gnome
45. Lady Stardust
46. Aladdin Sane
47. Kooks
48. Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
49. Fantastic Voyage
50. John, I'm only dancing
51. Warszawa
52. Drive-in Saturday
53. In the heat of the morning
54. Look Back in Anger
55. Lou Reed - Perfect Day
56. Helden
57. Velvet Goldmine
58. Song for Bob Dylan
59. TVC15
60. Soul Love
61. Tin Machine - Tin Machine
62. Memory of a Free Festival
63. Mott the Hoople - All the young dudes
64. Dollar Days
65. DJ
66. Tonight
67. Cracked Actor
68. Queen Bitch
69. The Stars (are out tonight)
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Wow, anyone's poll of Bowie songs is going to be 5 songs short, at this time.

Rolling Stone.com-David Bowie Planned Post-Blackstar Album-Thought He Had Few More Months
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Mes amis, mon père vient de mourir d'un cancer des poumons - un jour après Monsieur Bowie... j'étais entrain d'écouter Blackstar quand le téléphone à retenti et que j'ai appris la tragique nouvelle.
La mort de Bowie, la mort de mon père, cette écoute d'album, la sublime Lazarus, ce videoclip... ce terrible clip, le genre de moment où le temps s'arrête... ou bien file à toute vitesse, je ne sais plus.

Je crois que jamais une chanson ne pourra plus, à ce point, être associée dans mon esprit à un moment particulier. Une madeleine proustienne, une bien amère madeleine hélas.

Bowie m'a toujours accompagné dans la vie, j'ai tant de souvenirs merveilleux associés à sa musique, c'est lui, et personne d'autre, qui m'a fait passé, après des années à écouter de la musique classique, du côté de la pop/rock, grâce à Ziggy Stardust, cet album parfait.

Et ce sera lui qui, par la subtile douleur qui perce dans ce dernier album, et l'association, hélas quasi parfaite, entre ces mots, ces images, et la douloureuse réalité, me rappellera ce jour... pour toujours... et à jamais.

Je t'aime.

My friends, my father just died of lung cancer - a day after Mr. Bowie ... I was about to listen Blackstar when the phone rang and I learned the tragic news.
Bowie's death, my father's death, the sublime Lazarus, that videoclip... that terrible videoclip, the kind of moment where time stops ... or file at full speed, I do not know anymore.

I think never one song will no longer, at this point, be associated in my mind at a particular moment. Proustian madeleine, a bitter madeleine alas.

Bowie always accompanied me in life, I have so many wonderful memories associated with his music, it is he, and nobody else, that made me past, after years of listening to classical music, the side of the pop / rock, with Ziggy Stardust, this perfect album.

And he shall, for the subtle pain that breaks through in this last album, and the association, alas almost perfect between the words, the images and the painful reality, remind me that day ... forever ... and for ever.

I love you.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Mes plus sincères condoléances, Romain.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I’m very sorry to hear about the loss of your father, Romain. I, too, have found solace in music during some difficult times in my life, and I hope you do as well. My heart goes out to you and your family.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Many condolences to you, Romain. I'm sorry that you had to experience such an unfortunate coincidence.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Je suis désolé, Romain. Je te présente mes sincères condoléances.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Hello,

Bowie's death is certainly one of the most powerful celebrity deaths in the past 10 years, if not the most powerful.

I say this because if you listen to Blackstar closely, you can see that the album is truly about Bowie confronting his mortality and imminent death. He stood at the precipice, and put that feeling into a familiar form - his art. His dying gift to his fans was an amazing concept album.

If you at first thought Blackstar was dismissible, please revisit it. You won't be sorry.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Romain, I read your message and then I tried very hard to say something appropriate to show my sympathy... but I kept changing those words of sympathy. It's difficult to find the right words in these circumstances. Right now, all I want to say is that I'm thinking of you.
...will keep us together.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dad, Romain. Plase accept my condolences. About tying a personal loss and the discovery of an album I had a similar experience with Robert Wyatt's "Rock Bottom" and the death of a friend of mine some years ago.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Romain, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I lost my dad nearly 12 years ago now, and it still feels like yesterday sometimes. There is nothing I can say of any real substance, other than to say that like Dan, I am thinking of you.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Thanks to each of you guys. You are wonderful.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I think of you too, Romain. I hope you find strength during this difficult time. In music and elsewhere.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

My condolences and all the strength to you, Romain.

For me, 2016 also started with a few deaths closeby. My mother in law (living in Canada) passed away on the 2nd and a dear aunt (living in Holland) on the 4th. Both were around 80 years old and struggled with their health already for a while, but nevertheless it comes as a big loss and takes time to process. May both rest in peace.

There are two songs that I connect with the deaths of my parents and whenever I hear those songs, memories come back: "On And On And On" from Wilco for me is like a kind of funeral song and reminds me of my father's death in 2005. My mother passed away in May 2011 and during that period I used to listen to "The Suburbs" from Arcade Fire. It's not so much about the lyrics, but the fact that she died suddenly in that month of May fits to the somewhat more aggressive song called "Month of May".
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

My condolences to you too, Romain. Bad things never come alone it seems.

I had Bowie on my mind last week and decided to make a drawing of an image I got inside my head. I'm not a professional drawer or anything, but thought to show it here:

For some reason it doesn't show the whole image here, but you get it when you click on it.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”