10.000 Songs, 10.000 Opinions: The Collection

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

10.000 Songs, 10.000 Opinions: The Collection

Post by Rob »

This is the central place where I will make an archive so you can easily find the songs that have been part of 10.000 Songs, 10.000 Opinions. Instead of ordering them by appearance I'm actually going to order them based on their AM ranking. For those who still want to check out what is new I will add "New discovery" in bold after the most recent entry and will put "Last week's opinion" after, well, last week's opinion. I'll update this every week.

Here is the list so far:

#15: Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK
#68: The Animals - House of the Rising Sun
#152: T. Rex - Get It On
#163: The Modern Lovers - Roadrunner
#189: David Bowie - Changes
#214: The Velvet Underground - Sweet Jane
#354: Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
#413: Lou Reed - Perfect Day
#431: Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
#444: Phoenix - 1901
#495: Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant
#503: Antony and the Johnsons - Hope There's Someone
#520 Sly & the Family Stone – Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin
#640: Coldplay - Clocks
#681: Joy Division - Atmosphere
#724: Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M. (Cash Rules Everything Around Me
#832: Bob Dylan - Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
#868: The Allman Brothers Band - Whipping Post
#878: Joni Mitchell - Big Yellow Taxi
#1046: Foster the People - Pumped Up Kids
#1049: The Smiths - Panic
#1112: Jackie Wilson - Lonely Teardrops
#1113: James Brown - Cold Sweat
#1151: Buddy Holly - Rave On
#1264: LL Cool J - I Can't Live Without My Radio
#1309: Marilyn Manson - The Beautiful People
#1333: Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
#1367: The Normal - Warm Leatherette
#1480: Elastica - Stutter
#1583: Method Man feat. Mary J. Blige - I'll Be There for You/ You're All I Need to Get By
#1589: T. Rex -Metal Guru
#1839: Donovan - Sunshine Superman
#1862: Jimi Hendrix - Star Spangled Banner
#1891: Aphex Twin - minipops 67 [120.2][source field mix]
#1932: R.E.M. - What's the Frequency Kenneth
#2029: Yves Montand - Les feuilles mortes
#2117: Nick Drake - Things Behind the Sun
#2152: The xx - Islands
#2162: Stevie Wonder - You Haven't Done Nothin'
#2293: Bad Company - Can't Get Enough
#2299: Pere Ubu - Final Solution Last week's opinion
#2305: Arcade Fire - No Cars Go
#2551: Shirley Bassey - Goldfinger
#2624: Lindstrøm – I Feel Space
#2703: Fats Domino - Walking to New Orleans
#2751: Bon Iver - Perth
#2771: Buffalo Springfield - Mr. Soul
#2773: Grateful Dead - Touch of Grey
#2801: Bessie Smith - Downhearted Blues
#2802: Björk - Stonemilker
#2814: Bruce Springsteen - Prove It All Night
#2851: Mike Jones - Still Tippin'
#2859: A Certain Ratio - Shack Up
#2885: Duke Ellington - Ko-Ko
#3040: The Chemical Brothers - Out of Control
#3084: Leroy Carr - How Long, How Long Blues
#3192: FKA twigs - Pendulum
#3323: Travis - Sing
#3348: Stevie Wonder - As
#3354: Traffic - Paper Sun
#3367: Gladys Knight & The Pips - I Heard It Through the Grapevine
#3462: HEALTH - Die Slow
#3467: The Who - I'm a Boy
#3600: Big Bill Broonzy - Key to the Highway
#3612: Nino Ferrer - Le Sud
#3724: Scissor Sisters - Take Your Mama
#3804: Inspiral Carpets - This Is How It Feels
#3873: Simple Minds - Promised You a Miracle
#3915: Mory Kanté - Yé Ké Yé Ké
#3956: Gang of Four - To Hell With Poverty!
#3987: Deutsch-Amerikanische Freundschaft - Der Mussolini
#3992: Aloe Blacc - I Need a Dollar
#4099: Bruce Springsteen - American Skin (41 Shots)
#4276: Tears for Fears - Showing the Seeds of Love
#4429: Fisk Jubilee Singers - Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
#4478: LL Cool J - Going Back to Cali
#4484: The Shangri-Las - Give Him a Great Big Kiss
#4576: Eno - St. Elmo's Fire
#4591: OMC - How Bizarre
#4665: The Slits - I Heard It Through the Grapevine
#4887: Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball
#5158: Michel Polnareff - Le poupée qui fait non
#5191: The Beatles - It's All Too Much
#5239: Françoise Hardy - Comment te dire adieu?
#5413: Beyoncé - Partition
#5550: Supergrass - Moving
#5563: Spoon - Inside Out
#5682: Adam Green - Jessica
#5722: Pretenders - Message of Love
#5825: The Heptones - Book of Rules
#5896: Barbara - La Solitude
#5951: Ash - Burn Baby Burn
#5997: Lou Christie - Lightnin' Strikes
#6007: Solomon Burke - Just Out of Reach (Of My Two Empty Arms)
#6095: Smith Westerns - Weekend
#6011: Steely Dan - Doctor Wu
#6170: Falco - Der Kommissar
#6187: Saint Etienne - Avenue
#6271: Henry Mancini - Peter Gunn
#6292: N.O.R.E. - SuperThug
#6399: Gary Wright - Dream Weaver
#6454: LaVern Baker - Jim Dandy Got Married
#6528: Buddy Knox - Party Doll
#6588: War - The World Is a Ghetto
#6806: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Our House
#7163: Kent - Musik Non Stop
#7653: Jr. Walker & the All-Stars - What Does It Take (To Win Your Love)
#7896: The Stylistiscs - Rockin' Roll Baby
#8013: ATB - 9PM [Till I Come]
#8153: The Mystics - Hushabye
#8229: Tomte - Ich sang die ganze Zeit von dir
#8526: Genesis - Abacab
#9414: Sting - If I Ever Lose My Faith in You
#9516: Ella Fitzgerald - How High the Moon New entry
#9872: The Springfields - Island of Dreams

Bubbling under: Gid Tanner & His Skillet Lickers - Soldier's Joy
Bubbling under: Graham Parker & The Rumours - Local Girls

Remember, although there is a new entry every week there is no time limit to which you can post on these. If for example within a year from now you finally have an opinion about Jim Dandy Got Married feel free to enlighten us in this topic.

I also want to use this topic as a place for feedback that is not related to the reviews themselves. Do people have suggestion for the format? Is there anything you would like to see differently? Post it here. I also noticed a sharp drop in interest in this over the weeks, with the last two edition barely getting any comments. That's why I'm especially interested in feedback.
Last edited by Rob on Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 122 times in total.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: 6000 Songs, 6000 Opinions: The Collection

Post by Rob »

So, we now have 18 topics of 6000 Songs, 6000 Opinions and I feel it is time to ask everyone what they think. The thing is, I do enjoy writing about these songs, but I wonder if other people do too. When I started this there seemed to be an interest in topics for discussing particular songs, but honestly I don't get the impresion there is. Ordinaryperson and Luney6 always react and sometimes other people do, but mostly these topics remain empty and don't spark much discussion.

That's why I want to evaluate. Do people like these topics? Should the format be changed? Don't people simply have the time to react or do they only want to write about specific songs and not just any song on a weekly basis? Personally, I think the titling could be better, perhaps. But I'm really interested in hearing some feedback, because sometimes it feels like it's just become an ego-project for myself, which is not what I was going for.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

My interest varies depending on the song. I very much appreciate the reviews you provide of each of the songs. The consistent structure of your reviews is superb and I always learn some very interesting information from reading your reviews.

But, if I listen to a song that I am unfamiliar with and it doesn't move me, my interest is not as keen. Given that you have chosen to approach the 6000 from a random perspective, there are likely to be both new discoveries for many of us, and some songs that just do not resonate with many of the forum participants.

Perhaps when you have reviewed a certain number of the songs (perhaps 100), you can conduct a poll to see whether certain of the songs can be rated as favorites or favorite new discoveries.

Thanks so much for providing the reviews.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Rob wrote:That's why I want to evaluate. Do people like these topics? Should the format be changed? Don't people simply have the time to react or do they only want to write about specific songs and not just any song on a weekly basis? Personally, I think the titling could be better, perhaps. But I'm really interested in hearing some feedback, because sometimes it feels like it's just become an ego-project for myself, which is not what I was going for.
Let me stroke your ego, Rob. While I doubt I will be a contributor, I look forward to reading each of your reviews. Please continue.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

DocBrown wrote:
Rob wrote:That's why I want to evaluate. Do people like these topics? Should the format be changed? Don't people simply have the time to react or do they only want to write about specific songs and not just any song on a weekly basis? Personally, I think the titling could be better, perhaps. But I'm really interested in hearing some feedback, because sometimes it feels like it's just become an ego-project for myself, which is not what I was going for.
Let me stroke your ego, Rob. While I doubt I will be a contributor, I look forward to reading each of your reviews. Please continue.
I'll stroke your ego some more, Rob. A big reason (well, pretty much the only reason) I don't comment is because oftentimes your reviews are so detailed and comprehensive that I really find myself with nothing left to add.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

I really like this topic, and your reviews, Rob. Many of the songs featured so far were new discoveries for me, some were good, some were bad, but it was fun commenting on each of them, and hence I try not to miss any of them. This would be more fun, if, as Henry said, there could be a way to occasionally select particular songs, if possible. But otherwise, I'm really fond of this.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Hi Rob:

I'm so sorry for not having participated in your fantastic threads since the second edition, in part because of my hectic schedule. But let me say that I enjoy a lot your reviews. I find very difficult to write such insightful comments about songs that you don't enjoy at all (and moreover you haven't been lucky enough on many weeks). I usually only write about music I like (the advantages of not being a professional writer) but you are forcing yourself to analyse every random song on the AM list. And with outstanding results in my opinion, based on your personal enjoyement (like the professional critics I trust) but arguing well your point and providing relevant information about artists and songs.

Having said that I admit that I needed some catch-up with the reviews, I missed the last 4 ones. And reading the review for Ash's "Burn Baby Burn" I see that you referenced my thread about the death of Rock 'n' Roll (adding some kind words, many thanks). You mention there that you got some thoughts about the subject, I would like to read them (maybe in the Rock is dead thread, why not?). I should also come back to my own thread, there were many comments I didn't answer there. And I agree with many of your thoughts like "the supposed death of rock and roll makes it easier to praise even minor rock acts like Ash. Most music critics are really rock critics. That’s the genre they love and that is why so many other genres get so little attention".

So congratulations for your threads, Rob, even if they don't get as many visits (and comments) as they surely deserve.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Thanks everyone for all of your kind and encouraging replies! That really means a lot to me.
Henry wrote: But, if I listen to a song that I am unfamiliar with and it doesn't move me, my interest is not as keen. Given that you have chosen to approach the 6000 from a random perspective, there are likely to be both new discoveries for many of us, and some songs that just do not resonate with many of the forum participants.
This is course true and to be expected, but I thought that Acclaimed Music had varied enough membership that each type of song should have its fans. Yet it is very clear that only famous songs like Perfect Day and As really attract much attention and comments. That most people won't react every week is normal, though, and I don't expect anyone to follow me in writing about every song.

I should say that I won't change the random aspect of the selection. For me it is part off the attraction of these topics and also part of the charm. Besides, it is was makes talking about some easily overlooked songs possible. How else would we ever get to Jessica, Key to the Highway or This Is How It Feels? I was twice tempted to neglect the randomness: when Bowie died I wanted a Bowie song and at Christmas I thought of picking White Christmas by Bing Crosby. But I decided not the cheat.
Perhaps when you have reviewed a certain number of the songs (perhaps 100), you can conduct a poll to see whether certain of the songs can be rated as favorites or favorite new discoveries.
Yes, I toyed with this idea in my head too. Perhaps I will do this at 100, but this is still a long way away.
Honorio wrote: I find very difficult to write such insightful comments about songs that you don't enjoy at all (and moreover you haven't been lucky enough on many weeks). I usually only write about music I like (the advantages of not being a professional writer) but you are forcing yourself to analyse every random song on the AM list.
Nothing really beats writing about songs you love. Yet I also admit that I like the challenge of writing about songs that do not naturally appeal to me. I don't think I had that much bad luck. There have been quite a few middle-of-the-road songs, but only 3 I really didn't care for and more that I loved.
And reading the review for Ash's "Burn Baby Burn" I see that you referenced my thread about the death of Rock 'n' Roll (adding some kind words, many thanks). You mention there that you got some thoughts about the subject, I would like to read them (maybe in the Rock is dead thread, why not?).
Dear Lord, that topic of yours started a very long thought proces in my head that went on for hours and included everything I liked and disliked in modern music, music criticism and music reception. I wanted to write it all down, but I didn't have the time and it would have been unwieldy. Perhaps I'll get back to it one day, but really, my time is very, very limited at the moment so that even these weekly entries require scheduling. I can't promise anything there. But thanks again for that wonderful topic, Honorio. It's too rare to find something that really posits interesting questions.

On another note: I won't have any time next week to add another entry to 6000 Songs, 6000 Opinions. Is anyone interested in filling in for me one week, like Ordinaryperson did when he wrote about the Method Man song?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sorry for coming in a bit late into the discussion, but I greatly appreciate your songs series, Rob! As others have said, your reviews are very very good. They are a wonderful contribution to the forum!

I would love to write something about each song, but as I wrote in another thread I need to slow down and writing reviews isn't my speciality anyway.

A bit related to this, would anyone like to write verbal summaries of the critical acclaim of AM's albums/songs? It would be great to present such summaries above the critics' list placements on the album/song pages! If there's any interest in this I could start a separate forum for these write-ups.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

For those who missed the announcement in the topic for Elastica's Stutter last week: I have changed the topic titles of this series so that we can see the actual artist name and song title in it. Therefore the series is now simply called 6000 Songs in the title.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I usually would have the new entry for 6000 Songs up for now, but it has been a busy weekend and had no time for it. I will write and post in tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Just out of curiosity, Rob, but what will you do if the song falls out of the top 6000?
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

babydoll wrote:Just out of curiosity, Rob, but what will you do if the song falls out of the top 6000?
Nothing really. The topics will remain online. In the above list I will rank them as Formerly in the Top 6000, but that's it.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Working at film festivals has the downside that sometimes you can't get a day off during a whole week. It's that time again for me, so I can't write any entry for next Sunday. Anyone interested in picking this up for this week?
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I posted it on the American Skin entry, but I'll repeat it here. Next week I start a road trip through the South-Eastern side of the US and won't be able to upload another entry of this series for a month. If somebody wants to fill in these next four weeks, be my guest. If not, this series will continue on the 9th of October.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Another vacation coming up, so this series will take a break. The next entry will appear on the 20th of August.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Because of work-related reasons I won't be able to write a new entry this week or the next. This series will resume in two weeks.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: 10.000 Songs, 10.000 Opinions: The Collection

Post by Rob »

This topic title has been changed, as well as the rankings in the list above.
I did not change any of the information regarding rankings in the topics themselves. A few of them make a lot of those rankings and I would have to change the original text too much. I think I will keep it as it is. I might change the topic titles to reflect 10.000, but I'm not sure yet.

Two songs that previously ranked are now bubblers. Of course I keep them here, but this does not mean that I will begin writing entries for bubblers now too. I stick to the top 10.000, which is enough.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

There's no link for the C.R.E.A.M. review.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

StevieFan13 wrote:There's no link for the C.R.E.A.M. review.
Fixed it. Thanks for notifying me.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Landmark time: 100 songs got a review here! Only 9.900 to go! I'll probably post a top 100 of the songs I wrote about up till now later this week, just for fun.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Because life intervened I will postpone the next entry in this series to tomorrow.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Next week I won't be able to do one of these. Be back in two weeks.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I don't feel well, so the next one will be postponed to next week.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Some news about this project. I've decided that tomorrow's entry will be the last one I do. This could have gone on seemingly forever and I enjoyed doing it, but I also feel that I want to spend the time it costs me on something else. I usually spend the larger part of my Sundays on it and the time only seems to increase with each new entry, and since the Sunday is frequently my only day off from work I decided I wanted to keep them more open. Besides, I want to pursue other projects the coming time.

This series never became the song discussion hotbed I hoped for. I enjoyed writing the entries, but it became more of a solo experience than I set out with. I did get some great discoveries along the way (and some awful ones too), but I can get those in other ways too, certainly on this forum.

I don't know if anyone wants pick this up and continue. If so, please be welcome.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

It might be fun to do this for a while, but as I’ve now seen, it is a bit of a commitment. Plus, how can I follow the stellar work you’ve done? Thank you for an enjoyable and entertaining journey through music Rob! I’m gonna miss these.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Hi Rob:

Sad to know that your "10.000 Songs 10.000 Opinions" threads came to an end. But that was something bound to happen. The burden you imposed yourself (review every song of the 10.000 randomly) was surely overwhelming. Probably a higher participation and feed-back from the AMers could have had a positive effect even delaying this end. Sadly the threads had few (if any) comments and –undeservedly– not many visits. Even after you announced the ending of the series the comments have not been many, which is absolutely unfair.
I don't know why the comments were not many, maybe the exhaustive reviews you did sometimes left no many things to add. In my case the problem was my lack of time. I usually read your reviews weeks after they were written, making no sense sometimes to write comments so delayed in time. In fact the last review I read was for "Hushabye," that was particularly brilliant including thoughts about lullabies and good selections on the playlist. By the way, the playlists were a must, showcasing how the same song can receive many different treatments. Now I need to make some catch-up, I know there are some favourites of mine waiting (like "Our House," "Doctor Wu" or "Changes").
I'm going to miss your reviews, I even made some kind of ritual to read it. I used to reserve some free time for them (that created the delay). I listened to the main song two or three times in a row while reading the comments. And then I listened to the whole playlist but after the first Spotify "page" only the first minute of every version. After doing that I think I fully absorbed the song in all its minor details.
Rob, thank you very much for these series. Fortunately we will still have your comments in other threads of Acclaimed Music Forum.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Rob, I will miss your reviews, but as someone who has felt exhausted by my AM work for a while, I understand you well. I hope no one takes offense if I say that I think your collection of opinions towers above almost everything else that has been written in the forum. I still consider adding links to your topics from the main AM site. Now that your work is done maybe it's the right time for that. If you don't mind.

When I see a new random song listed I usually get a quick thought that "I would probably say this and that", my very subjective thoughts. But then I start reading your review and there's always a whole new world opening up around the song, discussing things from angles that I could never have thought of. I guess that's what distinguish a good writer from a bad one, and why I tend to stick to numbers for most of the time.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Thanks for this series, Rob. Always a pleasure to read it when I did, and it certainly never looked easy. Enjoy your day off!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Thanks for all the kind comments, everyone! I really appreciate it.
And don't think I didn't enjoy doing this series. I really did. I think it was around #70 I that I first started to think that perhaps it was time to quit, but I kept putting that moment off for over 40 entries. I wouldn't do it if it didn't satisfy me in some way. But now I want to put that creativity as well as the time somewhere else. Yes, the lack of comments or feedback was a bit of disappointment, I admit, but that's how things go. I'm glad they at least entertained some people.

Honorio, your writing about music has inspired me since I discovered this forum. You come from it from a very different angle than I do, but that makes it all the more interesting to read. I know you have little time to write extensive pieces, but I always look up when you post something.
Henrik wrote:I still consider adding links to your topics from the main AM site. Now that your work is done maybe it's the right time for that. If you don't mind.
Certainly not. The honor is mine.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”