Album of the Week

luney6
Movin' On Up

Re: Album of the Week

Post by luney6 »

I think that in that case, lesser known albums which are not well represented in AM may not get a chance.

How do you suggest we choose the album randomly though, using what method?
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Thread bump so hopefully more people offer to contribute to the groups.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

I'll join Pop/Rock, as that's the only one for which I could produce some less than obvious albums.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

I'll join Pop/Rock and Avant-Garde.
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Just for everyone's reference, here is a link to the Genre Tree thread, where everyone can sort out subgenres as well as chime in for their suggestions. I strongly recommend that members of the groups contribute to the subgenres of their assigned main genre: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2908
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

My problem is the "discussion" part. My english is so bad that I can hardly talked and exposed why I love the albums.

Otherwise, I can take Classical and World Music (especialy for Chanson of course). Even if I don't understand how we can choose an album in the classical world more than a piece of music.

Thanks.
Last edited by Romain on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I'd like to participate here.

I'd like to join Pop/Rock and Electronic
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Romain wrote:My problem is the "discussion" part. My english is so bad that I can hardly talked and exposed why I love the albums.
Perhaps in this case you could say it in French. I would not mind using a translator. I know it's not the same, but I think it is preferable to nothing.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Blanco wrote:
Romain wrote:My problem is the "discussion" part. My english is so bad that I can hardly talked and exposed why I love the albums.
Perhaps in this case you could say it in French. I would not mind using a translator. I know it's not the same, but I think it is preferable to nothing.
Maybe I could be of help as well. That's my job after all :mrgreen:
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Otherwise, I can take Classical and World Music (especialy for Chanson of course). Even if I don't understand how we can choose an album in the classical world more than a piece of music.

Thanks.
When I made the Classical music group, I did actually mean pieces of music, and I meant to elabotate but I forgot.

Also, if you want to message the comments in French, Romain. I'll translate it using a translator, and whatever knowledge of the language I posses, and with help from Pierre.(Meant to be read after the rules).
Last edited by luney6 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Now that the groups are taking shape, and there are 4 days left for the group joining process, I'd like to initiate the selection of an album by the pop-rock group. Here is how it will work.

Each member of the Pop-Rock group will have to private message me 2 albums as their selections by Friday. If they want to, they can add comments as to why they think these albums can be chosen. These albums do not have to be sent at once either; one can be sent today, and another tomorrow, or whatever is suitable and convenient.

As the albums are sent, I shall make a new topic and post the names of the albums, as well as any comments there, without revealing the identity of the sender. If need be, all discussions regarding the albums can be carried out in that topic by the members of the group. Until Friday, anyone else may also join the group and submit their own albums.

On Saterday, the groups shall be closed, and the album recommendations will stop. Then, each member of the pop-rock group will have to private message me a score for the albums, depending on the critirea. For eg., at the current rate, with 6 people in the group, each member of the pop-rock group will have to assign two albums a 3, three albums a 2, and the other five albums a 1, depending on their preferences. The members cannot vote for their self-reccomended albums. This voting criterea shall be vary, depending on the number of reccomended albums and the number of members in each group.

The members of the pop-rock group can start private messaging me their album reccomendations. I shall start a new topic as soon as the first album is recieved.

As for the process, hopefully it is efficient enough. All suggestions regarding the improving of the criterea and process are welcome.

Best of luck :).
Last edited by luney6 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Bumping this to get more people to join groups!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

^
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I could join pop/rock and world music/folk. World music/folk is an odd pairing though. :)
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Jirin wrote:I could join pop/rock and world music/folk. World music/folk is an odd pairing though. :)
Done. :) You have to private message 2 albums for the pop-rock group to me by tomorrow.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Luney6 and JimmyJazz, you can count on me to participate on this new game (although I'm not sure if I'm going to find the time to properly participate every week). I would have liked to join the World Music/Folk team but I can see that maybe is too crowded by now. So you can add me as member of the Jazz and Classical groups. I'm not an expert on these fields but these are the groups with least members and maybe I can contribute better there.

But let me first add some doubts about this new game. But please take it as thoughts and not as objections (and especially don't take it as an offense, please):
- If I remember well, some of you commented on the "There She Goes" thread that it was fun to see some spontaneous chat about individual pieces of music and not so many voting games. Pierre even stated that we were missing something when some interesting threads simply were "sinking under all the topics about games." And then we decide… to start another game!!
- I like the idea of an "album of the week" that we can discuse but probably the genres, the teams, the voting were not necessary. Probably a simpler approach could have been satisfying enough. Every AMer could have posted an album of the week following an alphabetical order (or any given order). Anyone could have chosen the style he prefer, choose a hidden gem, choose a classic album, choose a guilty pleasure… The structure in teams imply voting, consensus and (probably) less surprises.
- But, admitting that the structure in teams could work and be as interesting as the individual choices, why using this particular division? Why not using the brilliant genre classification provided by RateYourMusic, the same that Henrik used for the main Acclaimed Music lists? I find particularly bizarre the genre "Avant-Garde," in my opinion more an attitude toward music that a genre in itself. Many Jazz (Free Jazz for instance), Classical (Post-Minimalism for instance) or Electronic (IDM for instance) are more likely to be filed under Avant-Garde than some Alternative Rock styles like Goth Rock or Post-Punk. Anyway JimmyJazz did a fantastic work trying to group all the Rock styles that can belong to Avant-Garde.
- And finally there is unequality among the seven groups in terms of amount of music and knowledge of the forum members. I predict a much higher participation in Pop-Rock albums than, let's say, Classical. The recent (and fantastic) Classical Poll hosted by whuntva that only had 8 voters may me think I'm not wrong in that. Maybe grouping the teams to end with only 4 (as luney6 originally intended) could prevent this situation. Or not, who knows?

But please Luney6, you don't need to change the rules because of my opinion. It's good enough as it is…
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

I had some of the thoughts Honorio had but I know this will be a lot of fun anyway. I'll join the Hip Hop/Soul and Pop/Rock groups, though my contribution to the former group will be almost all Hip Hop. I hope there are enough Soul music fans in that group to get those recommendations into the game.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

GucciLittlePiggy wrote:I had some of the thoughts Honorio had but I know this will be a lot of fun anyway. I'll join the Hip Hop/Soul and Pop/Rock groups, though my contribution to the former group will be almost all Hip Hop. I hope there are enough Soul music fans in that group to get those recommendations into the game.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Honorio wrote:Luney6 and JimmyJazz, you can count on me to participate on this new game (although I'm not sure if I'm going to find the time to properly participate every week). I would have liked to join the World Music/Folk team but I can see that maybe is too crowded by now. So you can add me as member of the Jazz and Classical groups. I'm not an expert on these fields but these are the groups with least members and maybe I can contribute better there.

But let me first add some doubts about this new game. But please take it as thoughts and not as objections (and especially don't take it as an offense, please):
- If I remember well, some of you commented on the "There She Goes" thread that it was fun to see some spontaneous chat about individual pieces of music and not so many voting games. Pierre even stated that we were missing something when some interesting threads simply were "sinking under all the topics about games." And then we decide… to start another game!!
- I like the idea of an "album of the week" that we can discuse but probably the genres, the teams, the voting were not necessary. Probably a simpler approach could have been satisfying enough. Every AMer could have posted an album of the week following an alphabetical order (or any given order). Anyone could have chosen the style he prefer, choose a hidden gem, choose a classic album, choose a guilty pleasure… The structure in teams imply voting, consensus and (probably) less surprises.
- But, admitting that the structure in teams could work and be as interesting as the individual choices, why using this particular division? Why not using the brilliant genre classification provided by RateYourMusic, the same that Henrik used for the main Acclaimed Music lists? I find particularly bizarre the genre "Avant-Garde," in my opinion more an attitude toward music that a genre in itself. Many Jazz (Free Jazz for instance), Classical (Post-Minimalism for instance) or Electronic (IDM for instance) are more likely to be filed under Avant-Garde than some Alternative Rock styles like Goth Rock or Post-Punk. Anyway JimmyJazz did a fantastic work trying to group all the Rock styles that can belong to Avant-Garde.
- And finally there is unequality among the seven groups in terms of amount of music and knowledge of the forum members. I predict a much higher participation in Pop-Rock albums than, let's say, Classical. The recent (and fantastic) Classical Poll hosted by whuntva that only had 8 voters may me think I'm not wrong in that. Maybe grouping the teams to end with only 4 (as luney6 originally intended) could prevent this situation. Or not, who knows?

But please Luney6, you don't need to change the rules because of my opinion. It's good enough as it is…
I understand, especially since I had similar doubts while making the game. The reason for the broader classification of music is due to the fact that I wanted to allow more obscure albums and artists, that otherwise wouldn't have got a chance in most other methods of picking.

Edit: As for the groups, I anticipated this, couldn't think of a way to correct this, and thought it probably wouldn't matter that much anyway. After all, the album of the week is not about merit, but it is simply for people to hear different albums and their opinion on it :).
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Last day for people to join groups, and for members of the pop-rock group to submit 2 suggestions.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I just don't see how making everything a consensus vote allows more obscure stuff to get in. I'd say there's only one really surprising album in the pop-rock selection so far. How does practically preventing albums such as Vision Creation Newsun from being discussed help albums that would be overlooked? If we rely on consensus voting, we're going to end up with a lot of effort being put in to find albums that most of us have enough familiarity to vote for. If I feel like bringing up some obscure electronic masterpiece, I also have to convince a group of four or five others that might not have heard it to choose it over Daft Punk and Aphex Twin. Meanwhile, if individual people add to the list, all it takes is a single person's action to add something unique while still having enough of a base to sneak in the classics. I feel like a lot of this system is created with the idea of limiting the discussion of pop/rock, but that's also by far the most popular style of music on this board. Why create a system that explicitly limits the most popular choice?
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

BleuPanda wrote:I just don't see how making everything a consensus vote allows more obscure stuff to get in. I'd say there's only one really surprising album in the pop-rock selection so far. How does practically preventing albums such as Vision Creation Newsun from being discussed help albums that would be overlooked? If we rely on consensus voting, we're going to end up with a lot of effort being put in to find albums that most of us have enough familiarity to vote for. If I feel like bringing up some obscure electronic masterpiece, I also have to convince a group of four or five others that might not have heard it to choose it over Daft Punk and Aphex Twin. Meanwhile, if individual people add to the list, all it takes is a single person's action to add something unique while still having enough of a base to sneak in the classics. I feel like a lot of this system is created with the idea of limiting the discussion of pop/rock, but that's also by far the most popular style of music on this board. Why create a system that explicitly limits the most popular choice?
I don't think the pop-rock group is limited as such. In a way, a lot of acts from the avant-garde, electronic, hip-hop/soul, and folk group are what normally would be put under the pop-rock group, but would get shadowed by the higher ranked more 'acclaimed' albums. Since this discussion was originally meant to discuss music, in depth, and give large reviews on albums, I thought that one would need time and the environment to discuss what each albums had to say, which is actually a lot. If it was more list oriented, where the classics dominated each list, with each user sneaking in a different album, which is unique and different, with much to offer, but not many of the others know about it, then chances are that only the classics would mainly get discussed. This way, those albums are brought to light as well, along with the classics, so that every one has a chance to listen to them, understand them, and discuss them. Albums that normally wouldn't get discussed will also get discussed, omitting all the politics of the process of them becoming a highly acclaimed album, and focusing on the artistic side of them. I want to create a platform where each individual disregards the critic's list and the albums rankings, to give their own unbiased opinion of what they think of the album and why they enjoy it, or why they do not. I've already discovered some new albums, from the list so far, that I've now heard, and like.

However, I understand your concerns, and I was thinking of changing the selection process for the second cycle, if it doesn't work out. We could probably go with the random selection process, or the list process you suggested, or maybe introduce a few new rules. I'll think about it. Any and all suggestions are welcome, and I'll try to incorporate them. :)

Still, I hope you select the electronic masterpiece, that is unheard by many, due to the fact that it does come into light in a way. I, at least for one, will listen to the album, and I hope the others do too, and that will still be good, as it will fulfill one of the purposes of this, because the the thing is that, the album of the week is not about choosing albums which you love. It isn't a hall of fame. Instead, it is simply discussion. One may choose an album which they hate, due to the fact that they want to talk about it, and listen to what the others have to say about it.

Edit: By the way, for the electronic category, I've received a few albums which I hadn't heard before, due to their high obscurity, but are pretty good ;).
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Honorio wrote:I would have liked to join the World Music/Folk team but I can see that maybe is too crowded by now.
I would have preferred that you had chosen the World Music/Folk team, Honorio. But I respect your decision.
Honorio wrote:If I remember well, some of you commented on the "There She Goes" thread that it was fun to see some spontaneous chat about individual pieces of music and not so many voting games. Pierre even stated that we were missing something when some interesting threads simply were "sinking under all the topics about games." And then we decide… to start another game!!
Here Honorio has a very good point. Lately when I see the forum, there are only topics about games in which I do not participate, and when I create a topic to discuss something, it ends up being almost ignored. I miss feeling motivated to participate in general discussions.
Honorio wrote:Every AMer could have posted an album of the week following an alphabetical order (or any given order). Anyone could have chosen the style he prefer, choose a hidden gem, choose a classic album, choose a guilty pleasure… The structure in teams imply voting, consensus and (probably) less surprises. [...]
- And finally there is unequality among the seven groups in terms of amount of music and knowledge of the forum members. I predict a much higher participation in Pop-Rock albums than, let's say, Classical.
Trying not to offend anyone, in the nominations for the first week I already know most of the albums, and probably most AMers too, so I do not feel that is much novelty to discuss the Sgt. Peppers, The Queen is Dead or Ziggy Stardust. I would rather discuss things completely unknown to me. Many have commented that they prefer to choose one team or another because they do not know much of another type of music. And it's OK. But hey, if we keep discussing the same albums, within a few years we will continue choosing the same teams. Now is the time!
Honorio wrote:But please Luney6, you don't need to change the rules because of my opinion. It's good enough as it is…

It is true that just as it is, the game is beautifully designed. I'm not saying we should change the rules. In fact I admire the effort luney6 made. But I think what we need to change is what is behind the game. I think we should choose if we want our trees to grow more or if we want to have more trees.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Thanks Blanco. I was hoping that as groups and the cycle progress, this would happen.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

The album selection process and the group joining process are now closed. Each member of the pop-rock group now must give each album a score as follows:
- Two albums must get a 4
- Two albums must get a 3
- Four albums must get a 2
- Six albums must get a 1

The album with the highest number of points will be selected as the album of the week.The scores have to be private messaged to me. One cannot vote for the two albums that they selected themselves

Remeber, the album of the week isn't a hall of fame, so don't vote for what you think is the best album, but for what yoi would like to listen, make others listen to, and discuss. Voting for albums you haven't heard, or which aren't ranked well on AM is encouraged, because chances are that others haven't heard the album before. :)
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

The deadline is on Monday.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

I regret that I am likely late, but if an exception is possible, I'll happily join jazz and classical. I could do avant garde too, but there seems to be some overlap with both of the other genres I picked, at least in my mind.

My other caveat is I've been ridiculously busy (both work and the multitude of activities my children are now involved in), so my input may be sporadic at times. Apologies in advance.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

sonofsamiam wrote:I regret that I am likely late, but if an exception is possible, I'll happily join jazz and classical. I could do avant garde too, but there seems to be some overlap with both of the other genres I picked, at least in my mind.

My other caveat is I've been ridiculously busy (both work and the multitude of activities my children are now involved in), so my input may be sporadic at times. Apologies in advance.
There is some time remaining before the rounds of the Jazz and Classical group, and therefore I think it wouldn't make much of a difference, especially since a lot of the other members (and me) were hoping for you to participate. ;)
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

sonofsamiam wrote:I regret that I am likely late, but if an exception is possible, I'll happily join jazz and classical. I could do avant garde too, but there seems to be some overlap with both of the other genres I picked, at least in my mind.

I'm in the same boat - I'm happy to chime in to either Hip Hip/Soul or Electronic (wherever you need me), but I can't guarantee constant participation.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Moonbeam wrote:

I'm in the same boat - I'm happy to chime in to either Hip Hip/Soul or Electronic (wherever you need me), but I can't guarantee constant participation.
Ok. I've added you to both.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Last day for members of the pop-rock group to submit their scores.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Album of the Week 1 has been selected. Now, it is the turn of the Avant Garde group members to private message 2 albums each to me by Friday. The same rules for this process as those of the previous round.

Edit: I shall start the thread as soon as I receive the first album.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

I've started a film club on the film side of this forum. I don't intend the club to seem like a rip-off of this (even though the way the films are selected are completely different).
There is No More Firmament.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

ordinaryperson wrote:I've started a film club on the film side of this forum. I don't intend the club to seem like a rip-off of this (even though the way the films are selected are completely different).
Actually, I'm rather happy, that you've started this, because discussions on movies, etc, is unfortunately quite rare.
I am not sure if I'll be able to participate too much, because I have only seen around 10% of the movies on They Shoot Pictures, but I'll try wherever I can.

Best of Luck. :)
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Album of the week 2 is on the verge of selection. Now, the Jazz group members must must private message me 2 albums by Friday. The same rules for the selection process as those of the previous round.

I shall start the thread as soon as I receive the first album.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Album of the week #3 has been selected. The classical group members can message me two works by Friday. I shall start the thread as soon as I start receiving the albums.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Album of the week #4 has been selected. The Hip Hop/Soul group members can message me two suggestions by Friday. I shall start the thread as soon as I start receiving the albums.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Album of the week #5 has been selected. The World Music & Folk group members can message me two suggestions by Friday. I shall start the thread as soon as I start receiving the albums.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Album of the week #6 has been selected. The electronic group members can message me two albums by Friday. I shall start the albums as soon as I receive the first albums.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Album of the week #7 has been selected. Now, there shall be a few weeks grace period, to allow members to catch up, in which more reviews are encouraged! After that, the new groups shall be chosen.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

The first cycle for Album of the week is now over, but I still hope that more people will listen to and post their opinions on the albums, as they get time to catch up. :music-listening:

The next cycle shall probably start in a while.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”