Ten Album Stretch

TimmyWing
Different Class

Re: Ten Album Stretch

Post by TimmyWing »

spiritualized wrote: Hi Timmywing - My God, I almost envy you - you have yet to hear absolute classics in my little world. Start with PJ Harvey - Dry - a monumental record. Taste Bloc Party, Sigur Ros, Yo La Tengo and Bob Marley next.
Although if this is in your streak of 10, I may suspect indie rock is not a favourite genre ?
It's not that it's not a favourite genre of mine - in fact I've listened to some of Yo La Tengo, Sigur Rós, Bright Eyes and the Replacements before, but these albums I just haven't got around to yet.

I was thinking as I went through the list what I was qualify as "having heard" an album. I could even name you tracks off of "Tim" and "I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One" that I really like, having dipped into them already. But I couldn't justify myself saying that I've sat down to listen to the whole thing, even in segments.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Pierre wrote:
It depends, but overall guitar does have a very preponderant place in the Parliament-Funkadelic sound. Early Funkadelic albums, like "Maggot Brain" (the title track is one of the greatest track-long guitar solo ever) or the underrated masterpiece "Standing on the Verge of Getting It On" feature prominently Eddie Hazel, who is considered one of the greatest guitarists ever and who certainly informed Prince's style. On "One Nation Under a Groove", there are two guitarists (Mike Hampton and Gary Shider) who play an important role, so yes, I would call it guitar-based. For instance, one of the tracks is called "Who Says a Funk Band Can't Play Rock?!". I guess that's pretty self-explanatory ;)
Jirin wrote:I wouldn't describe LCD Soundsystem's music as emotional, and a lot of the emotional content is sarcastic. Their lyrics appeal more to me on an intellectual level than an emotional level. The melodies and production are the larger part of the appeal.
I guess we're not listening to it the same way. In my opinion, a part of his music does feature a good amount of melancholy even when he's being sarcastic, like on "All My Friends". And "Someone Great" is genuinely heartbreaking. Of course the melodies and production are fundamental, but if there was no emotion, I believe it would feel much more dry than it actually does. The Fall, one of James Murphy's acknowledged influences, for instance, features a good amount of sarcasm and his music is less melodic, and I don't feel the same things as I do when I listen to LCD Soundsystem. Murphy's experiences and the way he conveys them are different.
I feel like music is a representation of the artist's emotions, in terms of the music, as well as the lyrics. That is, at least the way I perceive it to be, with intellectual lyrics, innovative music, and whatever else there is in a song contributing to the overall atmosphere and purpose, rather like an insight into the artists mind, or a new world. That is why I feel like This is Happening, catchy as the album may be, does not deliver full satisfaction. While there are good lyrics, I feel like there are way too many cringe-worthy lyrics as well, that do not deliver well. Also, the music really sounds more like it intends to be catchy and somewhat shallow, straying the impact of the album further from the epicenter. Overall, the album is not really bad, and it definitely has some good songs, but it just isn't enough, especially when there is much more artful music to listen to. Therefore, I'd give the album around 5 or 6, which isn't bad, but not truly spectacular.

However that is simply my observation of the way I find the album to be. In a way, music can also be especially purpose, boiling down to one's taste and personality, and hence I may be missing something that is immediately obvious to someone else. If so, please tell me. Just in case though, I'll listen to the album again. :)

I'll also be listening to the Parliament album as soon as I have enough time. Right now, my mocks are nearing their end, and my board exams are in November, so currently I'm unable to listen to many albums. But rest assured, the album has made my list. :D
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

From later albums, I'd say Tim and Safe as Milk are truly outstanding. earning above an 8 (from the ones I've heard).
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Mine is almost the same as Needles':

380 Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III
381 Grateful Dead - Live / Dead
382 Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
383 LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
384 Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
385 Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul
386 The Crickets - The "Chirping" Crickets
387 John Coltrane - Giant Steps
388 Dexys Midnight Runners - Searching for the Young Soul Rebels
389 B.B. King - Live at the Regal

I'm interested in most of these, but particularly This Is Happening, Led Zeppelin III and Searching for the Young Soul Rebel. I don't connect to the music of Grateful Dead at all, so Live/ Dead will probably be a while. I understand that Spirit of Eden is a departure for Talk Talk and it has to be to get me on board, because I'm close to despising the early Talk Talk sound.

This list almost feels like cheating honestly, because there are huge gaps before it. In fact, there are quite a few stretches of 10 albums of which I didn't hear 9.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Zeppelin III is actually my least favorite Zeppelin album (besides Coda). It's still good, but it doesn't have the same punch most of their other albums do.

This is Happening and Halcyon Digest are interesting. They certainly aren't for everyone, but they were both kinda for me. I recommend listening to either or both more than once.

Giant Steps is pretty darn essential. Young Soul Rebels I want to say is because I love it to death, but just barely misses due to relative obscurity with the general masses.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

477. Sinéad O'Connor - I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got
478. XTC - Skylarking
479. Randy Newman - 12 Songs
480. The Breeders - Last Splash
481. James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
482. Dire Straits - Dire Straits
483. Lou Reed - New York
484. Deep Purple - Made in Japan
485. Elvis Costello and The Attractions - Get Happy!!
486. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

I'd say New York and Live/Dead are essential. Also, as far as I know, Live/Dead is rather different from other Grateful Dead albums, due to it being a live album, as opposed to a studio one, therefore it sounds more like a jam session embedded in sonic aura, as opposed to a folk rock album. You can listen to the live version of dark star to decide.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Rob wrote:Mine is almost the same as Needles':

380 Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III
381 Grateful Dead - Live / Dead
382 Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
383 LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
384 Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
385 Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul
386 The Crickets - The "Chirping" Crickets
387 John Coltrane - Giant Steps
388 Dexys Midnight Runners - Searching for the Young Soul Rebels
389 B.B. King - Live at the Regal

I'm interested in most of these, but particularly This Is Happening, Led Zeppelin III and Searching for the Young Soul Rebel. I don't connect to the music of Grateful Dead at all, so Live/ Dead will probably be a while. I understand that Spirit of Eden is a departure for Talk Talk and it has to be to get me on board, because I'm close to despising the early Talk Talk sound.

This list almost feels like cheating honestly, because there are huge gaps before it. In fact, there are quite a few stretches of 10 albums of which I didn't hear 9.
Spirit of Eden is awesome. I agree with whuntva above Zeppelin 3 though, it's definitely the weakest of their first six. "Hat Off to Roy Harper" is one of the worst songs ever. "Gallows Pole" is damn good though.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

I didn't see Tim before. Pretty sure that's essential as well.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Tim can be a divisive album, because following Let It Be it's more polished and less energetic. Some like that and some don't.
audioclectic
Are You Experienced?

Post by audioclectic »

Seriously (embarrassing)

82 This Year's Model
83 Bringing It All Back Home
84 Screamadelica
85 Music From Big Pink
86 Elephant
87 (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
88 The Bends
89 In Rainbows
90 Illinois
91 Raw Power

and a bonus

92 Bitches Brew
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

I strongly recommend Illinois. As far as albums longer than an hour go, it's one of the better ones in terms of justifying its length.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

audioclectic wrote: 83 Bringing It All Back Home
88 The Bends
These are in my top 30 all-time.
I feel like that
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

audioclectic wrote:Seriously (embarrassing)

82 This Year's Model
84 Screamadelica
85 Music From Big Pink
86 Elephant
88 The Bends
89 In Rainbows
90 Illinois
91 Raw Power

and a bonus

92 Bitches Brew
These are all essential. "Morning Glory" is my favorite of the bunch, but Oasis are somewhat controversial around these parts.
audioclectic
Are You Experienced?

Post by audioclectic »

Nick wrote:
audioclectic wrote:Seriously (embarrassing)

82 This Year's Model
84 Screamadelica
85 Music From Big Pink
86 Elephant
88 The Bends
89 In Rainbows
90 Illinois
91 Raw Power

and a bonus

92 Bitches Brew
These are all essential. "Morning Glory" is my favorite of the bunch, but Oasis are somewhat controversial around these parts.

I'm sure you're right. I have #82 through number #88, just haven't ever listened.
Needles
Superunknown

Post by Needles »

Oasis are One Direction with louder guitars and a couple accidental classics on their hands.

But all those other albums are absolutely essential.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Needles wrote:Oasis are One Direction with louder guitars and a couple accidental classics on their hands.

But all those other albums are absolutely essential.
Hahahahahaha.......well said :D . Although I do not hate Oasis, and I do think some of their albums are not that bad, but I still feel like they are a bit overrated only because of the marketing factors, which cause critics to put them on their lists.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

I'd say Illinois, in Rainbows, Music from the big pink, Elephant, Raw Power and Bitches Brew are highly recommended.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Elephant is in my top ten AT, so I would highly recommend that.

I wouldn't go so far as to compare Oasis to a boy band, but they are like any other mainstream pop/rock group that there is a big discrepancy between the quality of their singles and the quality of the rest of the album. I think they are overrated because British critics at the time really, really wanted to call somebody the next Beatles. They're a perfectly fine 90's pop/rock group with a few great singles.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I really like What's the Story as an album. Most of the tracks, even non-singles like "Some Might Say" and "She's Electric" I just find to be really good. I can't speak for the band outside of their big two albums, but I like them a decent amount.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Here it goes again, the eternal bashing of Oasis, just because to prove you're "more knowledgeable than the commoner in music", you need to be on the right side of the Damon Albarn/Gallagher brothers rivalry... Sorry guys, but although I admit that Damon Albarn (and Jarvis Cocker, as far as britpop is concerned) are superior songwriters, and that the lyrics of Oasis have always been their weak point, I do enjoy their madchester influenced sound ("Columbia" remains a favourite of mine). Of course, they ran out of steam faster than their peers, but that doesn't mean they're not worth a try, at least for their first albums. Back then, they did have a knack for melodies that remain stuck in your head, even though their lyrics were always rather hollow. Their sound and melodies are enough to make their early albums enjoyable in my opinion.

I won't challenge the fact that their marketing as "the next Beatles" was preposterous from the start, but one needs to be able to see beyond that.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

As a huge fan of Oasis (okay, a huge fan of their first two albums, and a casual fan of their later work) I'll fully admit that the music of Oasis isn't exactly the most intelligent music, or deep music, or complex music out there. At its core, the music of "Definitely Maybe" and "Morning Glory" is just impeccably crafted pop music, with soaring hooks, singalong lyrics, and a stellar distillation of British pop/rock music (everything from British Invasion to madchester to Britpop to jangle pop and even shoegaze is touched on those two albums).

That's enough for me to consider it great.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Noel is what makes it.

His musical licks and great guitar work carry those first two albums as classics of pop.

That's probably why I prefer High Flying Birds to Beady Eye.

I think if the brothers had been on better terms, they would have made better music longer and would be more respected than they are now. Still, "Definitely Maybe" and "Morning Glory" are definitely essentials.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Actually, I'm not a very big fan of britpop the genre as a whole. Enough to like a few singles and albums here are there, but that's it.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

What the Story Morning Glory, while maybe not a major masterpiece is extremely enjoyable. What I get out of it every time is just a great sense of energy that keeps on flowing. It also has a very positive attitude, which carries over to almost all the songs there. Too few classic rock are really positive in nature, so that makes this one extra welcome and I've notices it does actually help me when I need the energy to tackle something I feel I'm not up to. I haven't listened to it much in recent years, but I'll always have soft spot for Morning Glory and Oasis in general.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Nobody is trying to prove they are "More knowledgeable than the commoner". Nor does anybody, ever, who prefers the less popular thing over the more popular thing, just do it to prove themselves superior to anybody. Constantly hearing that accusation from everybody who prefers the more popular thing and feels the need to de-legitimize opposing tastes is tiresome.

The best Oasis songs are great songs.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Jirin wrote:The best Oasis songs are great songs.
This.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Jirin wrote:Nobody is trying to prove they are "More knowledgeable than the commoner". Nor does anybody, ever, who prefers the less popular thing over the more popular thing, just do it to prove themselves superior to anybody. Constantly hearing that accusation from everybody who prefers the more popular thing and feels the need to de-legitimize opposing tastes is tiresome.

The best Oasis songs are great songs.
Of course, and I may apologize for my rant; but it's just that yesterday when I read that message saying that Oasis was just a boy band with a couple "accidental" hits, I was tired, felt it was incredibly contemptuous and I needed to let off the pressure. It just sounded, and still sounds, totally unfair. Still, sorry again about that.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

This is responding to something way up thread, but yes Taking Tiger Mountain by Brian Eno is an essential album. It's my favorite Eno album and in my top ten all time (and I love all four of Eno's 70s pop albums). Even if you're not as high on it as I am, there are several great songs that sound unlike pretty much anything else going on in 1974 (Burning Airlines..., The True Wheel, Third Uncle, Mother Eye Whaless, the title track).
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Jackson wrote:This is responding to something way up thread, but yes Taking Tiger Mountain by Brian Eno is an essential album. It's my favorite Eno album and in my top ten all time (and I love all four of Eno's 70s pop albums). Even if you're not as high on it as I am, there are several great songs that sound unlike pretty much anything else going on in 1974 (Burning Airlines..., The True Wheel, Third Uncle, Mother Eye Whaless, the title track).
Thanks
DaveC
Never Going Back Again

Post by DaveC »

892 Howlin' Wolf - Moanin' in the Moonlight
893 Damien Rice - O
894 Crowded House - Woodface
895 Lynyrd Skynyrd - Second Helping
896 Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
897 Tindersticks - Tindersticks
898 Mac DeMarco - Salad Days
899 LL Cool J - Radio
900 Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five - The Message
901 Bob Dylan - The Bootleg Series Vol. 4 - Live 1966: The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert

Of these, I expect to enjoy the Howlin' Wolf and the Crowded House. I've never really listened to Tindersticks so that one could be a revelation. I can be a bit hot/cold with Dylan so that could go either way. No idea what to expect from Shabazz Palaces. On first look, the Howlin' Wolf is the one that feels most essential.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”