Suggest genre changes here

Henrik
Site Admin

Suggest genre changes here

Post by Henrik »

If you want to add or remove a genre for an album on AM, let me know it in this thread. However, I will only change the genres if...

1. The RYM genres (genre votes) are in line with your suggestion, meaning that the genre is listed in bold (primary genre) on RYM. Preferably the votes (only visible to RYM members) are also rather convincing, meaning that there are at least a few more positive than negative votes.

2. The RYM votes are uncertain or somewhat against your suggested genre change, but we get to a consensus here that the change should be made (at least two more people for than against the change).

To increase the chance of a change, I encourage you to vote at RYM before posting your suggestion here.

I have a fear that this thread will be cluttered, so please only suggest a change if it really matters to you and the RYM votes are not (clearly) against you, or if you find an album at RYM where the genre votes have changed over time to a new distinct set of genres. If this thread becomes cluttered anyway, I will probably start a new forum where every suggestion can have its own thread.

Agreed changes will be made in the next site update (next year).
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Re: Suggest genre changes here

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Is there a reason why "regional" hip-hop genres (east coast, west coast, etc.) are not on the site?
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Is there a reason why "regional" hip-hop genres (east coast, west coast, etc.) are not on the site?
Yes. These genres are based on region rather than sound. There was a 91 yes/26 no vote for merging West Coast Hip Hop into Hip Hop. The change was denied, but I think they just keep things like these as they are because they are working on a new descriptor tree.
https://rateyourmusic.com/admin/queue/h ... &context=p

There are other regional genres as well, but hip hop albums are usually also listed with several other genres, and I deleted these two genres to make the genre column lighter on the AM pages.

Example:
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Conscious Hip Hop, Hardcore Hip Hop, Political Hip Hop

I don't think East Coast Hip Hop is needed.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Shouldn't albums like the Velvet Underground and Nico, Daydream Nation and Trout Mask Replica, which are listed in the subgenres of rock list also be listed in main rock list?
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

luney6 wrote:Shouldn't albums like the Velvet Underground and Nico, Daydream Nation and Trout Mask Replica, which are listed in the subgenres of rock list also be listed in main rock list?
Yes they should. I need to take a look at this.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Henrik, recently I started making a new sheet with the songs of the Top Songs, and have classified each with its sub-genres and its main genres, each in a different column. I completed the 5000 songs on the main list. I can send too you, if you want.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bruno wrote:Henrik, recently I started making a new sheet with the songs of the Top Songs, and have classified each with its sub-genres and its main genres, each in a different column. I completed the 5000 songs on the main list. I can send too you, if you want.
That would be great! I don't know how much I will use it though, as I want to use the same genre tree as for albums (i.e. RYM's genres).
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Henrik wrote:
Bruno wrote:Henrik, recently I started making a new sheet with the songs of the Top Songs, and have classified each with its sub-genres and its main genres, each in a different column. I completed the 5000 songs on the main list. I can send too you, if you want.
That would be great! I don't know how much I will use it though, as I want to use the same genre tree as for albums (i.e. RYM's genres).
Okay, I'll translate.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bruno wrote:
Henrik wrote:
Okay, I'll translate.
Oh, many thanks for the offer, but what I meant is that I want to use not only the RYM genre tree but also how the singles are voted on at RYM. For album tracks we have to decide ourselves but the RYM genres for the albums in question is probably a good direction.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Maybe you are wondering if I have asked if I can use RYM's genre data. No I haven't. I guess I'm afraid of getting a no. But I'm really trying to make it a winning situation for RYM, with links to RYM on all genre and album pages. I really hope they won't hunt me down.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

At the moment I have these songs with genre(s):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

AM has Saint Etienne's So Tough under Indietronica, but RYM does not.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

RYM no longer lists Bob Dylan's self-titled album under Country Blues, though it seems pretty close.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

RYM just added genre voting for songs. That'll help a lot when song genres are implemented.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:RYM just added genre voting for songs. That'll help a lot when song genres are implemented.
Yes!!!
Good thing I haven't asked for help yet. It's probably wise to wait a year or so until the RYM votes for songs are stable.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

"Alternative Singer-Songwriter" is no longer an RYM genre. Let England Shake doesn't even have a primary genre now.
jonatan
Start Me Up

Post by jonatan »

I have a technical question about how to download the genres into an excel file.

I am interested in (1) the parent genres of the top 3000 albums. I can access those by clicking on each album, and writing them down. But perhaps there is an easier way?

And (2) genres and parent genres for the top songs. Does that information exist?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

jonatan wrote:I have a technical question about how to download the genres into an excel file.

I am interested in (1) the parent genres of the top 3000 albums. I can access those by clicking on each album, and writing them down. But perhaps there is an easier way?

And (2) genres and parent genres for the top songs. Does that information exist?
1) I can provide a spreadsheet!
2) No, unfortunately.
jonatan
Start Me Up

Post by jonatan »

1) That would be great. (If possible, including the bubbling unders.)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I’d say an easy way to assign genres to songs is to use the same one as their parent album or the rest of their albums (ex: Nevermind is categorized as grunge, so songs like “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” “Polly,” “Lithium,” etc are grunge songs).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
tfguenther
The Only Way Is Up

Post by tfguenther »

I don't want to open Pandora's box or anything, but would you say that "Polly" is 'Grunge' just by listening to the song itself? If I didn't know that it's a Nirvana song (and by that kind of HAS to be Grunge), I wouldn't. As I wouldn't describe "When I'm Sixty-Four" by The Beatles as Psychedelic either...
jonatan
Start Me Up

Post by jonatan »

Is there any news about this?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

jonatan wrote:Is there any news about this?
Sorry, I totally forgot about the spreadsheet I promised. Added to my to-do list...
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

StevieFan13 wrote:I’d say an easy way to assign genres to songs is to use the same one as their parent album or the rest of their albums (ex: Nevermind is categorized as grunge, so songs like “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” “Polly,” “Lithium,” etc are grunge songs).
To expand on this, I think this is the easiest first step, and then we pick out the songs that don't actually match the parent album. Use the album as a base and then consider the exceptions instead of overwhelming ourselves with the fact that some won't match up.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

BleuPanda wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:I’d say an easy way to assign genres to songs is to use the same one as their parent album or the rest of their albums (ex: Nevermind is categorized as grunge, so songs like “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” “Polly,” “Lithium,” etc are grunge songs).
To expand on this, I think this is the easiest first step, and then we pick out the songs that don't actually match the parent album. Use the album as a base and then consider the exceptions instead of overwhelming ourselves with the fact that some won't match up.
Right, exactly. So an example would be something like Ultralight Beam, which to me feels closer to R&B than rap.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henrik wrote:
jonatan wrote:I have a technical question about how to download the genres into an excel file.

1) I can provide a spreadsheet!
2) No, unfortunately.
Here is a spreadsheet of genres and parent genres for all albums on AM.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jonatan
Start Me Up

Post by jonatan »

Thank you! Which formula do you use to rank albums of different rank. I recall at some point reading something like
log(log(4 + 4000)) - log(log(4 + rank))
Mevansuto
Superunknown

Post by Mevansuto »

I think Blackstar by David Bowie should have Jazz-Rock as a subgenre.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

Radiohead's Amnesiac and Nine Inch Nails' The Fragile should have Art Rock listed as one of their genres like they are on Rate Your Music.
There is No More Firmament.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

So, in the past several years, RYM has made a lot of changes to the genre tree itself. Since the genre queue on RYM is currently closed, would now be a good time to detail those changes? Regarding genres already listed on AM, that is.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

I'm going to list changes to the genre tree in this post, which I will go back and edit until I've gone through all the genres listed on AM. So if I shouldn't be doing this, speak now or forever hold your peace.

New parent genres:
Punk: top level genre
Post-Metal: subgenre of Metal
Post-Industrial: subgenre of Industrial Music
Northeastern African Music: subgenre of African Music
Reductionism: subgenre of Experimental
Psychedelia: top level genre
Central African Music: subgenre of African Music
Surf Music: subgenre of Rock

Acoustic Rock is now a "subgenre" of "Descriptor" as well as Rock
Alternative Singer/Songwriter is no longer a unique subgenre – it has been merged back into its parent genre of Singer/Songwriter
Arabic Folk Music is now a direct subgenre of Arabic Music, rather than of Arabic Traditional Music (and thus, no longer a subgenre of Islamic Modal Music) – it is still a subgenre of Traditional Folk Music
Arabic Traditional Music is no longer a unique subgenre – it has been merged back into its parent genre of Arabic Music
Art Punk is no longer a subgenre of Punk Rock – it is now directly under both Punk and Rock
Atmospheric Sludge Metal is now a subgenre of Post-Metal, as well as Sludge Metal
Berber Music is now a subgenre of North African Music
"Blue Eyed Soul" has been changed to "Blue-Eyed Soul" (with a hyphen)
Boom Bap is a subgenre of Hardcore Hip Hop (it seems that this has always been the case on RYM – was the discrepancy on AM on purpose?)
C86 is now a subgenre of Indie Rock, as well as Indie Pop
Chamber Pop is no longer a subgenre of Baroque Pop
Coldwave is no longer a subgenre of New Wave
Comedy is no longer a "subgenre" of Descriptor, making it a top level genre
Country is now a subgenre of Regional Music, thus no longer a top level genre (this might be subject to change, not necessarily though)
Dance-Punk is now a subgenre of Dance as well as Post-Punk
Dark Ambient is now a subgenre of Post-Industrial as well as Ambient
Dark Jazz is no longer a subgenre of Dark Ambient
"Death Rock" has been changed to "Deathrock" and is now a subgenre of Punk Rock and Gothic Rock, rather than Post-Punk and Gothic Rock
Deep Soul is now a direct subgenre of Soul, rather than Southern Soul
Doo-Wop is no longer a subgenre of Vocal Group
EBM is a now a subgenre of Post-Industrial (as well as Electronic Dance Music) rather than directly under Industrial Music
Electro-Industrial is a now a subgenre of Post-Industrial (as well as Electronic) rather than directly under Industrial Music
Electroacoustic is now a subgenre of Electronic, as well as Experimental
Emo is now a subgenre of Punk, as well as Rock
Ethereal Wave is no longer a subgenre of Gothic Rock
Ethio-Jazz is a now a subgenre of Northeastern African Music (as well as Jazz) rather than directly under African Music
Folk Baroque is no longer a subgenre of English Folk Music
Folk Revival is no longer a unique subgenre – it has been merged back into its parent genre of Contemporary Folk
Freakbeat is now a subgenre of Garage Rock, as well as Beat Music
French Pop is now a "subgenre" of Descriptor, as well as Pop
Funk Metal is now a subgenre of Funk Rock, as well as Alternative Metal
Garifuna Folk Music is a subgenre of Caribbean Folk Music, rather than directly under Caribbean Music (I believe this one may have been a mistake on AM's part)
Glitch Hop is now a direct subgenre of Electronic, rather than IDM
Gothic Rock is now a subgenre of Post-Punk, rather than a direct subgenre of Rock
Industrial Hip Hop is now a subgenre of Post-Industrial (as well as Experimental Hip Hop) rather than directly under Industrial Music
Industrial Metal is now a subgenre of Post-Industrial (as well as Metal) rather than directly under Industrial Music
Industrial Rock is now a subgenre of Post-Industrial (as well as Rock) rather than directly under Industrial Music
Lowercase is now a subgenre of Reductionism, rather than directly under Experimental
Martial Industrial is now a subgenre of Post-Industrial, rather than directly under Industrial Music
Mashup is now a "subgenre" of Descriptor, rather than Plunderphonics
Mbube is no longer a subgenre of A cappella
Musical Parody is now a direct "subgenre" of Descriptor, rather than Musical Comedy
Musique concrète is now a subgenre of Electroacoustic, rather than Tape Music
Neo-Psychedelia is now a direct subgenre of Psychedelia, rather than Psychedelic Rock
Neue Deutsche Welle is now a subgenre of New Wave, rather than directly under Rock
New Romantic is now a subgenre of Pop, as well as New Wave
Orchestral is now a "subgenre" of Descriptor, as well as Western Classical Music
Paisley Underground is no longer a subgenre of Psychedelic Rock; it is now a subgenre of Neo-Psychedelia and Alternative Rock
Plunderphonics is now a direct subgenre of Experimental, rather than Sound Collage
Post-Hardcore is no longer a subgenre of Punk Rock – it is now directly under both Punk and Rock
Post-Punk is now a subgenre of Punk, as well as Rock
Proto-Punk is now a subgenre of Punk, as well as Rock
Psychedelic Folk is now a subgenre of Psychedelia, as well as Contemporary Folk
Psychedelic Pop is now a subgenre of Psychedelia, as well as Pop
Psychedelic Rock is now a subgenre of Psychedelia, as well as Rock
Psychedelic Soul is now a subgenre of Psychedelia, as well as Soul
Punk Rock is now a subgenre of Punk, as well as Rock
Rap Rock is now a direct subgenre of Rock, rather than Alternative Rock
Rock Opera is now a "subgenre" of Descriptor, as well as Rock
Satire is now a direct "subgenre" of Descriptor, rather than Comedy
Shibuya-kei is now a direct subgenre of Pop, rather than J-Pop
Show Tunes is no longer a subgenre of Soundtracks
Soukous is now a subgenre of Central African Music, rather than directly under African Music
Sound Collage is now a direct subgenre of Experimental, rather than Tape Music
Spaghetti Western is now a subgenre of Modern Classical, thus no longer a top level genre
Spoken Word is no longer a "subgenre" of Descriptor, making it a top level genre
Surf Rock is now a subgenre of Surf Music, rather than directly under Rock
Synth Punk is now a direct subgenre of Punk (as well as Electronic), rather than Punk Rock
Tizita is now a subgenre of Northeastern African Music, rather than directly under African Music
Tradi-Modern is now a subgenre of Central African Music, rather than directly under African Music
UK Bass is now a direct subgenre of Electronic Dance Music, rather than UK Garage
"West Coast Rock" has been changed to "Yacht Rock" and is now a subgenre of Pop Rock, rather than directly under Rock
Hip House is no longer a subgenre of Hip Hop
Trap Rap is now a direct subgenre of Hip Hop, rather than Gangsta Rap
Last edited by Sweepstakes Ron on Mon May 20, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sweepstakes Ron, I will be very grateful if you complete this list of changes. However, I can not promise when these changes will be implemented at AM. It requires some work to get everything right with the genres menu, the genre charts and the genre info on the album pages.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Well, it took me long enough, but I finally found all the changes! Do with this information what you will. In the meantime, I think I might start cross-referencing AM with RYM for this thread's original purpose, that is, finding albums whose genre votes have changed over time.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Well, it took me long enough, but I finally found all the changes! Do with this information what you will. In the meantime, I think I might start cross-referencing AM with RYM for this thread's original purpose, that is, finding albums whose genre votes have changed over time.
I changed my mind on this. I feel it's probably not a good idea to do this before the genre tree is updated on AM.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

One thing/feature regarding genres that I would like to see would be an option to see the best of a specific genre in one specific decade. An example could be an option to see "90s Punk Albums" or "70s Folk Albums" or "00s Electronic Albums"
Edre the Depeche Head
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

It should probably be mentioned that, on RYM, the genre once called “Trap Rap” is now just called “Trap” (not to be confused with “Trap [EDM]”. I suppose the term “Trap Rap” was never really used outside of RYM.

Also, Psychic by Darkside currently has no primary genre at all. I’ve never seen an album so controversial among genre-taggers.
BobPatience
Let's Get It On

Post by BobPatience »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:21 am It should probably be mentioned that, on RYM, the genre once called “Trap Rap” is now just called “Trap” (not to be confused with “Trap [EDM]”. I suppose the term “Trap Rap” was never really used outside of RYM.

Also, Psychic by Darkside currently has no primary genre at all. I’ve never seen an album so controversial among genre-taggers.
Not having a primary genre isn't bad tbh. That said, rym genre taggers can be very funny.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Parent genres are once again allowed to be changed, so I'll edit this post with any changes that come up so as not to clog up the thread. I know it's hardly necessary, but I just like to have them logged somewhere. (I will also include changes for genres not listed on AM.)

Drill: Gangsta Rap, Trap -> Trap
Post-Bop: Bebop -> Jazz
Vaporwave: Plunderphonics, Electronic -> Electronic
Breakcore: IDM -> Hardcore [EDM]
Zarzuela: Operetta, Spanish Classical Music -> Spanish Classical Music, Opera
Maddahi: Iranian Music -> Islamic Religious Music & Recitation
D-Beat: Crust Punk -> Hardcore Punk
Hardstyle: Hard Trance -> Electronic Dance Music
Nasheed [fka Anasheed]: Islamic Modal Music -> Islamic Religious Music & Recitation
Picopop: Bitpop -> Shibuya-kei
Footwork: Juke -> Electronic Dance Music
Scouse House: House -> UK Hard House
Mapuche Music: South American Folk Music -> South American Folk Music, Native American Music
Cocktail Nation [fka Cocktail]: Longue -> Easy Listening
16-bit: Bit Music -> Sequencer & Tracker
Vietnamese Folk Music: Traditional Folk Music -> East Asian Folk Music
Funk carioca: Electronic Dance Music, Brazilian Music -> Brazilian Music
Techno kayō: Synthpop, Japanese Music -> Synthpop
Power Noise: Industrial Music, Noise -> Post-Industrial, Noise
Philippine Music: Regional Music -> Southeast Asian Music
Techno Bass [fka Car Audio Bass]: Miami Bass -> Miami Bass, Electronic Dance Music
Acid Jazz: Jazz -> Funk
Kurdish Folk Music: West Asian Folk Music, Islamic Modal Music -> West Asian Folk Music
Cantillation: Jewish Music -> Jewish Liturgical Music
Visual kei: Japanese Music -> Rock
Country Rap: Hip Hop, Contemporary Country -> Hip Hop
Flashcore: IDM -> Electronic
Hiplife: Highlife, Hip Hop -> Hip Hop
C86: Indie Pop, Indie Rock -> Indie Pop, Jangle Pop
Kundiman: Philippine Music, Traditional Folk Music -> Philippine Music, Southeast Asian Folk Music
Balitaw: Philippine Music, Traditional Folk Music -> Philippine Music, Southeast Asian Folk Music
City Pop: Adult Contemporary -> Pop
Latin American Folk Music [fka South American Folk Music]: Traditional Folk Music -> Latin American Music, Traditional Folk Music
Spaghetti Western: Modern Classical -> Cinematic Classical
Rapai dabõih: Traditional Folk Music -> Southeast Asian Folk Music, Islamic Religious Music & Recitation
Pashto Folk Music: South Asian Folk Music, Islamic Modal Music -> South Asian Folk Music, West Asian Folk Music
Sertanejo universitário: Pop, Sertanejo romântico -> Sertanejo, Pop
Vaportrap: Electronic -> Vapor
Future Funk: Nu-Disco, Vaporwave -> Nu-Disco, Vapor
Vaporwave: Electronic -> Vapor
Harawi: Andean Folk Music, Native American Music -> Andean Folk Music
Mapuche Folk Music [fka Mapuche Music]: Latin American Folk Music, Native American Music -> Native American Music
Sertanejo de raiz: Sertanejo, Latin American Folk Music -> Sertanejo
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Not sure if this is still the right place to post this, but Casper's Keine Angst is most definitely NOT Industrial Hip Hop. It's probably inherited from the album tag, which is in itself quite questionable
Sven Frankson
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Sven Frankson »

Vampire Weekend "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" should not be listed as African Music. Please remove from the following Parent Genres: African Music, Regional Music, West African Music, Yoruba Music. Cultural appropriation - yes, African - no.
Nowhere Man
Start Me Up

Post by Nowhere Man »

Not a change, but can anyone add "Film Soundtrack" to Survivor - Eye of the Tiger?
I mean, even though it came out before it, I believe it's so closely associated to Rocky III that a lot of people immediately think of it when the song comes on.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”