AM Classical Poll: THE RESULTS

whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Re: AM Classical Poll: THE RESULTS

Post by whuntva »

sonofsamiam wrote:Hey whuntva, I don't know if you resurrected this because you had anything in mind, but I am strongly considering hosting a new classical poll, where we just go ahead and vote for our top pieces. It would be more akin to an all-time albums poll, and I'm curious if the results would differ since it would be more about peoples' overall favorites.

To make it easier, I would start with a list of ~1000 compositions, though people could have items not in the list of course. This would be just to ensure standardization of naming convention, and to remind people of the breadth of stuff out there. I would also allow full operas to be voted.

I would not include film music, though might make an exception for Koyannisqatsi, as it feels like the exception that proves the rule (essentially, it IS the movie just as much as the images). Still undecided there.

What do you think? Too soon? Were you planning something else?
I didn't really have a reason. I locked in the EOY and just felt like scrolling through here.

That sounds pretty good. Not sure if I'm up for it right now though. Maybe a few months or a year out though.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

whuntva wrote:
sonofsamiam wrote:Hey whuntva, I don't know if you resurrected this because you had anything in mind, but I am strongly considering hosting a new classical poll, where we just go ahead and vote for our top pieces. It would be more akin to an all-time albums poll, and I'm curious if the results would differ since it would be more about peoples' overall favorites.

To make it easier, I would start with a list of ~1000 compositions, though people could have items not in the list of course. This would be just to ensure standardization of naming convention, and to remind people of the breadth of stuff out there. I would also allow full operas to be voted.

I would not include film music, though might make an exception for Koyannisqatsi, as it feels like the exception that proves the rule (essentially, it IS the movie just as much as the images). Still undecided there.

What do you think? Too soon? Were you planning something else?
I didn't really have a reason. I locked in the EOY and just felt like scrolling through here.

That sounds pretty good. Not sure if I'm up for it right now though. Maybe a few months or a year out though.
I would definitely host this one, and not pile more work on you, but I agree that we want to avoid list fatigue, and this did complete not that long ago. Would want to gauge interest as well.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I totally support not including film music, if only because I want to eventually have a poll specifically about scores for various media, from movies to television shows to video games.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

I didn't participate last time, so I'm game.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Sorry to resurrect this after so long, but I've been getting into classical music lately so I've been looking through this list for recommendations. I must say I can't believe Schubert's Erlkönig isn't somewhere in the top 125. The piano part is a) incredible and b) very difficult to play.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Yes, that could be the greatest classical song with piano accompaniment.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

We need a Spotify playlist of this, or maybe a 2.0 version
Fred
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Fred »

Love your work, classisists!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”