Technology of List Management

Red Ant
Are You Experienced?

Technology of List Management

Post by Red Ant »

With all the excellent personal lists we've seen on the recent threads I just wondered if you guys have ever had a discussion about good ways to maintain a personal list if you want to reconcile it with your music collection.

Something like itunes only really seems to give you the ranking of 1 to 5 stars, with various playlist options that don't really rank things in order - are there any similar music managers that allow a more detailed order? Do Spotify or Deezer allow such detail?

My approach has evolved over the years, and is probably in a state where it might be worth starting again. I use Excel for my personal list, as that's easy to sort and rerank, then paste that into an Access database which also has a full export of my itunes library. I then export various playlists back to itunes and use them to adjust itunes rankings or to add the playlists to my ipod.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Re: Technology of List Management

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

AMF resident Moonbeam created a program for ranking albums or songs if that's what you mean. I used it for the 2014 and 2015 albums and songs polls.

I think this link should get you there.
http://www.neoptolemos.com/AM

Since the 2014 poll, however, for my all-time albums list I just have an excel sheet that I update every time I listen to an album. I find this makes things easier than trying to rank everything at once. Now I feel that my list from 1 to 300 (the amount that I have ranked so far) perfectly matches how I truly feel.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”