Old Polls Mystery

Red Ant
Are You Experienced?

Old Polls Mystery

Post by Red Ant »

Hi guys,

I've been logging and collating music polls for around 20 years, and was looking back at the origins of some of my data, and am struggling to work out where I got data from a couple of polls I recorded.

The first labelled as "Areuous" back in 2006. Nothing of relevance seems to come from a google search for that name. It's a 500 entry classic rock poll with Like a Rolling Stone at #1, Freebird at #2 and Blue Sky by the Allman Bros at #3. There are one or two less well known tracks such as Farmhouse by Phish at #19 and Journey To The End Of East Bay by Rancid at #37 which might give some clues to the origin.

The other 500 entry poll I labelled as "Walk" back in 1996 (it was in the days when I had a database rather limited in table names), and this is more of a middle of the road poll, with Unchained Melody at #1, When a man loves a woman (Michael Bolton version) at #2, I will always love you (Whitney) at #3. Less common entries are Macarena at #16 and Butterfly Kisses at #31.

Does anybody have any records that match these polls and can tell me where they might have come from - and if they are still published anywhere?
Pierre
Into the Groove

Re: Old Polls Mystery

Post by Pierre »

Hi Red Ant! Welcome to the forum :greetings-waveyellow:

A quick Google search returned what seems to correspond to your first list:

http://www.areuonsomething.com/print_top500.html
http://www.areuonsomething.com/top500_list.html

(second link features only the list, first has some background)

No luck with the second one thus far. Since it's 1996, it might not even be on the Web at all.
Red Ant
Are You Experienced?

Re: Old Polls Mystery

Post by Red Ant »

That's excellent - thanks.

I have quite a few polls from the early days of online communication, but can't remember if I got them from bulletin boards, Compuserve or even had to type them in. I was hoping I might find one or two of them have been updated in the years since but my poor labelling hasn't helped (I have others simply labelled as Usa Chart or Australian Chart!).

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”