Moderately Acclaimed Albums 6 - Round 1.9

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 6 - Round 1.9

Post by Brad »

Half the first round is in the books! Welcome to another installment of Moderately Acclaimed Albums!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums!
Comments are encouraged but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = May 18th at 10am EST.

Match-ups:
1. Sufjan Stevens - Age of Adz vs. Boston - Boston
2. Brian Eno - Discreet Music vs. Jon Hopkins - Immunity
3. The Beach Boys - The SMiLE Sessions vs. Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius
4. Djeli Moussa Diawara - Yasimika vs. Pete Seeger - We Shall Overcome: The Complete Carnegie Hall Concert

Crucify Your Mind!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 6 - Round 1.9

Post by Jirin »

Small question about the SMILE sessions. When I listen to it I tend to just listen to the first disc as if it's "The finished album that would have been released." Should we vote on it that way or vote as if we also listened to all the outtakes and such?
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Boston
Smile Sessions
We Shall Overcome
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

4. Djeli Moussa Diawara - Yasimika vs. Pete Seeger - We Shall Overcome: The Complete Carnegie Hall Concert

The Smile Sessions is the only one that I voted for this week that is not on my all-time list. Actually Discreet Music and Yasimika are new discoveries, so thanks to whoever nominated them.
I feel like that
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

All albums are on Spotify this week! :happy-partydance:
Jirin wrote:Small question about the SMILE sessions. When I listen to it I tend to just listen to the first disc as if it's "The finished album that would have been released." Should we vote on it that way or vote as if we also listened to all the outtakes and such?
The SMiLE Sessions is my nomination and when I chose it I was honestly just thinking about the first disc, up til and including Good Vibrations. The album itself marks it as the album proper. The other tracks are bonus tracks. Some of those are worth a listen, but probably only of interest for Beach Boys fans. I should add, though, that I think everybody is free to vote for this how they like. If they want to vote for the whole set (which could be 2 to 6 discs long, depending on your version) or just the "album" part is probably up to you.

There is a similar thing going on with another nomination of mine this week (my selections come in pairs it seems), the Pete Seeger live album. I specifically selected the Complete Carnegie Hall Concert, but as the title suggests there is also a incomplete version that was released 26 years earlier, in 1963 itself. The Complete version is very long and I can see it scaring of people who are not into folk or Pete Seeger. The original release, simply titled Pete Seeger at Carnegie Hall is only about 35 minutes long, so I guess you could go with it to get at least a taste of it, but I still would highly recommend going for the Complete edition, because in my view its the masterpiece, whereas the short one is merely a good Pete Seeger recording. Let me explain.
The earlier release of the Carnegie Hall Concert doesn't just cut out a lot of songs. That is somewhat understandable, because the 1989 Complete edition runs a little long. However, the songs on there are frequently shortened too and worse: the audience is mostly removed. Pete Seeger is a bit like James Brown in that he seems to require a live setting to really be on his best. Both artists have fine studio recordings, but they don't compare to their live work. In the case of Seeger that is because the audience is an important part of his songs. They are all about togetherness and sharing the world. He frequently risks being corny, but has earnestness to spare. A song like We Shall Overcome can go many ways, from militant to cheesy, but Seeger makes it work here because of the way he connects with it's audience. He makes singing along a requirement, which in some way emphasizes the "We" in the title.
He does everything to make the audience a part of the expierence. Sometimes he speaks the lyrics before he sings them, so the audience can sing along. Other times he translates foreign language lyrics so people can understand what's it about. In this way he seems to try to bring the world together, if only for a few hours in Carnegie Hall. He tries to get away from the distance between performer and audience, as if he just wants to be part of the visitors coming to see him. The songs are frequently political, but Seeger doesn't use it in a usual prophesying or grandstanding way, but more in a kind, warm gee-we're-in-this-together way. Cutting out the audience make the album lose this quality.
On paper this all sounds corny as hell, but Seeger makes it work because he seems genuine. In some ways he is the most pure traditional folk artist ever, because the original idea of folk music, of sharing old and foreign songs and perhaps imagining a better world, is captured here in its purest form, on The Complete Carnegie Hall Concert. I love post-Dylan folk just as much or even more, but the traditional folk of artists like Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger might have mostly gotten lost in the process. The Complete Carnegie Hall Concert is to me a masterpiece of the form and one of the best live albums to boot.
I can't find the short version of the concert on Spotify, though I'd swear it was there before. There is a crappy, incomplete version on YouTube, but I'd rather not link it, because of the low quality.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Rob - Thanks for the clarification - I was hoping someone else would weigh in before I gave my opinion and you (as the nominator no less) have offered a very clear explanation regarding the two albums that happens to be in alignment with my own thoughts.

I used RYM as a source for this - not the greatest authority I realize, but they list all the songs after Good Vibrations as "bonus tracks" and I agree these tracks should not be considered. Also, the 1989 version of the Pete Seeger album is clearly a different release than the 1963 version and (I feel) should stand on its own.

Thanks again!
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Age of Adz is my favorite album of the decade, so not a hard pick for me.
I don't care that much for half of the track to be honest, but oh my are the other half fantastic. The title song is the most beautiful piece of music of the decade so far, Vesuvius and Get Real Get Right are fantastic, Impossible Soul is ecstatic and mind blowing but the most puzzling part for me is the 5/4 coda that makes the second half of I Want to Be Well which somehow always hits me in full force with melancholy, there's no explaining that.
That being said, the first 2 tracks of Boston are pretty great too, though the rest of the albums doesn't really stand up to it.

I really like Discreet Music, and I'm sure Immunity owes a great debt to it, but I have to go with Jon Hopkins delicate and enchanting music here.

I was worried at first that everything would sound like the 1st track, but as soon as Sam & Dave kicks in it all turned great. The more the merrier with Pastorius, my enjoyment of each song being proportionate of the number of instruments... not sure bass and percussions should be allowed by themselves (except if your band is called Lightning Bolt I guess).
And well, I basically just don't like the SMiLE Sessions.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

By the way, there is still a tie-breaker outstanding from Round 1.8!
St. Vincent - Actor vs. The Roots - Things Fall Apart ***Tie! 7-7 Next Vote Wins!***
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I was unable to find Immunity and We Shall Overcome on Spotify, are they under unusual search terms or is there a typo?

Edit: Found Immunity, I wonder if it was just recently added.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Brad wrote: I used RYM as a source for this - not the greatest authority I realize, but they list all the songs after Good Vibrations as "bonus tracks" and I agree these tracks should not be considered.
In this case Rate Your Music agrees with the actual physical album release. The booklet in the CD version I own of The SMiLE Sessions mentions anything past Good Vibrations as bonus tracks. By the way, I never consider bonus tracks while playing this game, though I admit The SMiLE Sessions are strange case, being more of an archival album.

Jirin wrote:I was unable to find Immunity and We Shall Overcome on Spotify, are they under unusual search terms or is there a typo?
I've posted it before in the topic with the original listing, but yes, Spotify has the Seeger album under a (somewhat) different name, ditching We Shall Overcome for just The Complete Carnegie Hall Concert, June 8, 1963. It's in Machine_Man's playlist, but just for ease of use, here it is:

Last edited by Rob on Wed May 13, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Sufjan Stevens - The Age Of Adz 88-71
Brian Eno - Discreet Music 92-76
Beach Boys - The Smile Sessions 96-85

Fourth matchup I wrote down 82 for both of them, so I'll withhold that vote for the case of a tie.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Age of Adz
Discreet Music
Yasimika
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My picks:

Thanks!
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

I know I'm alone in this opinion, but Sufjan Stevens is one of those rare indie artists, like Mark Kozelek and Sharon Van Etten, that I just don't get the acclaim for. Just to let you know how bad my misunderstanding is, my favourite Sufjan album is Enjoy Your Rabbit. Seriously.

I do get Brian Eno, but I love Jon Hopkins' Immunity.

I have seen the Beach Boys perform live more often than any major label act. I have seen them on a beach. I have seen them on successive nights. I have seen them with, and without, Brian. I even saw them with that cheesy '80s sitcom star on drums. I still think they made exactly one good album. This is not that album.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

1. Sufjan Stevens - Age of Adz
2. Brian Eno - Discreet Music
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

1. Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz (2010) vs. Boston - Boston (1976)
2. Brian Eno - Discreet Music (1975) vs. Jon Hopkins - Immunity (2013)
3. The Beach Boys - The SMiLE Sessions (2011) vs. Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius (1976)
4. Djeli Moussa Diawara - Djeli Moussa Diawara (1983) vs. Pete Seeger - We Shall Overcome: The Complete Carnegie Hall Concert, June 8, 1963 (1989)

Hardest decision of the week: Diawara vs. Seeger.
Note: if you don't mind (and despite other people's opinions) I've based my vote on the 1-CD edition of "The SMiLE Sessions" including the bonus tracks. A "song" like Smile Backing Vocals Montage is masterful.

Progressive Pop, Hard Rock, Ambient, Microhouse, Baroque Pop, Jazz Fusion, Mande Music and American Folk Music.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Rob’s sure right about both the extra songs and the audience interaction on “The Complete Carnegie Hall Concert.” Pete Seeger has a gift for incorporating the audience into his show, which would really be missed if not featured on the original album (as would many of my favorite songs). I haven’t heard the original, so I really don’t know how to handle “We Shall Overcome” when it comes to the 1963 poll. If I voted for it in its 1989 entirety, it would almost certainly be #1. However, if I listened to the edited version now, I couldn’t help but consider all that’s missing. (And I’m not sure that it’d be fair to vote for the 1989 version, since it wouldn’t have existed in 1963.) Anyway, I’m typically not a fan of live albums, but this one’s worth every second of its extended playing time - my favorite album in a week where I truly enjoyed them all...

Pete Seeger - We Shall Overcome: The Complete Carnegie Hall Concert
The Beach Boys - The SMiLE Sessions
Boston - Boston
Sufjan Stevens - Age of Adz
Brian Eno - Discreet Music
Djeli Moussa Diawara - Yasimika
Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I enjoyed all albums this week, but still could decide easily.

The only decision that was somewhat tough. Age of Adz is very inconsistent. It runs to long and not every song is memorable. But when it is great it reaches for the heavens. Two thirds of the tracks actually achieve that and I'm willing to forgive the excess somewhat. Boston has less ambition, but is a great rocker through and through and a consistent album. This time however, the adventure wins out.

It's always nice to pair two albums that are somewhat similar. Jon Hopkins of course adds a house vibe to the ambient sound, which Eno doesn't, but it is perhaps telling (at least of my tastes) that Immunity works best at its quietest moments, on songs like Breath This Air. It's very beautiful in moments, but Discreet Music is on quite another level. Not only is it very beautiful, but also very moving. I can't really explain it, but something about Eno's work here made me extremely emotional while listening this week. That's unusual for ambient music, but goes to show how much Eno can do with seemingly very little.

I have to admit that The SMiLE Sessions is my favorite Beach Boys album. And I LOVE Pet Sounds! But Pet Sounds is a masterpiece in a very classic way, like the albums by the Beatles. An extremely well executed pop record by a band at the peak of its power. The SMiLE Sessions is more interesting however, because it strikes me as almost completely mad. The concept behind it (a children's hymn to God), the usually silly lyrics (even for Beach Boy standards) and all the sounds the Brian Wilson apparently thought necessary to add: it is all quite daft. However, The Beach Boys were still at their peak and somehow manage to sell this whole silly venture. More or less, of course, because it took more than 40 years to actually come out, but still, it doesn't have any right to sound this magical and beautiful. It's flawed, mostly because it wasn't really finished which make some song just sit there, but I don't really care. It even adds to it's slightly crazy feeling.
I enjoyed Jaco Pastorius, but it is me least favorite album of the week. I agree with Nassim that the songs with more instruments are the best, but nothing here is any competition for The Beach Boys.

The gentle, African rythms provided by Djelo Moussa Diawara make for a very good album. However, I just happen to love Pete Seeger's live effort a lot more, for reasons I mostly explained earlier in this topic. Let me add that the stretch in the second half, starting from his ode to foreign songs all the way up to closer Guantanamera is really breathtaking. I love how Seeger seems to want to honor everything in this concert: songs by newcomers, songs from languages he doesn't speak, old classics that shouldn't be forgotten, his pal Woody Guthrie. I bet Seeger thought two hours was way too short and that's what makes this such a special collection.
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

I can do without "Impossible Soul," but the rest of this album is better than I remembered. Boston is one of those bands I like, but I could do without listening to for the next decade or so due to radio oversaturation.

I like when two albums complement each other in this tournament! Eno was my nomination, and I have to give him the edge, even though I like Immunity quite a bit. But I love the Variations on Pachelebel's Canon on Discreet Music; it's like listening to a hazy memory.

I guess I'll vote for Pastorius? I wasn't a huge fan of either. I haven't done enough research to understand which iteration of "SMiLE" this album is, but it was too much, overstuffed and indulgent (yes, even when compared to The Age of Adz!).
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Rob wrote:The earlier release of the Carnegie Hall Concert doesn't just cut out a lot of songs. That is somewhat understandable, because the 1989 Complete edition runs a little long. However, the songs on there are frequently shortened too and worse: the audience is mostly removed.
I can't find the short version of the concert on Spotify, though I'd swear it was there before. There is a crappy, incomplete version on YouTube, but I'd rather not link it, because of the low quality.
jamieW wrote:I haven’t heard the original, so I really don’t know how to handle “We Shall Overcome” when it comes to the 1963 poll. If I voted for it in its 1989 entirety, it would almost certainly be #1. However, if I listened to the edited version now, I couldn’t help but consider all that’s missing.
Well, the original 1963 release is available in Youtube, here is the link. But the second half of the first side of the vinyl is blocked for copyright reasons (at least in Spain). But you can find the four songs included in this part in the following links: I-5, I-6, I-7 and I-8. Moreover the link does not include the fourth song of Side 2, here is a link for that song (II-4).
Rob, the low quality you mention probably it's because it's a vinyl rip since the first CD release is the 1989 complete version. There's also heavy editing of the songs but I don' find the audience participation completely removed (even if it's mixed lower than in the 1989 version). I agree that the masterpiece is the complete version but the 1963 version is enjoyable enough and it will be for sure in my 1963 list.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Honorio wrote: Rob, the low quality you mention probably it's because it's a vinyl rip since the first CD release is the 1989 complete version. There's also heavy editing of the songs but I don' find the audience participation completely removed (even if it's mixed lower than in the 1989 version). I agree that the masterpiece is the complete version but the 1963 version is enjoyable enough and it will be for sure in my 1963 list.
Yeah, this is the YouTube version I found (and in this region some songs are blocked too). I find it hard to listen too; there is something annoying about this recording of a vinyl. Nevertheless, it's a good way to compare different versions. We Shall Overcome is completely intact (outside of the applause at the end) so that qualifies for the 1963 poll. Vote for it! ;)
I wonder though, if this version of the Carnegie Hall Concert hasn't been on CD since the 1989 longer edition arrived it's not likely to have been on Spotify, though I'd swear I heard it about two years ago. Maybe it was somewhere else, an earlier upload on YouTube or something.
Poliuks
Wannabe

Post by Poliuks »

2. Jon Hopkins - Immunity
4. Pete Seeger - We Shall Overcome: The Complete Carnegie Hall Concert
phil
Unquestionable Presence

Post by phil »

Match-ups:
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Honorio wrote:
Rob wrote:The earlier release of the Carnegie Hall Concert doesn't just cut out a lot of songs. That is somewhat understandable, because the 1989 Complete edition runs a little long. However, the songs on there are frequently shortened too and worse: the audience is mostly removed.
jamieW wrote:I haven’t heard the original, so I really don’t know how to handle “We Shall Overcome” when it comes to the 1963 poll. If I voted for it in its 1989 entirety, it would almost certainly be #1. However, if I listened to the edited version now, I couldn’t help but consider all that’s missing.
Well, the original 1963 release is available in Youtube, here is the link. But the second half of the first side of the vinyl is blocked for copyright reasons (at least in Spain). But you can find the four songs included in this part in the following links: I-5, I-6, I-7 and I-8. Moreover the link does not include the fourth song of Side 2, here is a link for that song (II-4).
Rob, the low quality you mention probably it's because it's a vinyl rip since the first CD release is the 1989 complete version. There's also heavy editing of the songs but I don' find the audience participation completely removed (even if it's mixed lower than in the 1989 version). I agree that the masterpiece is the complete version but the 1963 version is enjoyable enough and it will be for sure in my 1963 list.
Thanks for the links, Honorio. I will listen to the original and rate it accordingly for the 1963 poll.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

About 11-1/2 hours left to vote!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Question for future round: Is Orchestra Baobab - Mouhamadou Bamba the same as just 'Bamba'? There is an album on Spotify called 'Bamba' and I want to make sure it's the same thing.

There seem to be a lot of the translated titles which have a different title on Spotify. Is it possible for the people who nominated these titles to flag any other examples of this?
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

16 voters this week:
Blanco
Brad
DaveC
DocBrown
Honorio
jamieW
Jirin
Kingoftonga
Nassim
notbrianeno
phil
PlasticRam
Poliuks
Rob
Romain
whuntva

Winners:
1. Sufjan Stevens - Age of Adz over Boston - Boston 10-4
2. Brian Eno - Discreet Music over Jon Hopkins - Immunity 10-4
3. The Beach Boys - The SMiLE Sessions over Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius 9-4
4. Pete Seeger - We Shall Overcome: The Complete Carnegie Hall Concert over Djeli Moussa Diawara - Yasimika 7-3

Round 1.10 up soon!
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Jirin wrote:Question for future round: Is Orchestra Baobab - Mouhamadou Bamba the same as just 'Bamba'? There is an album on Spotify called 'Bamba' and I want to make sure it's the same thing.

There seem to be a lot of the translated titles which have a different title on Spotify. Is it possible for the people who nominated these titles to flag any other examples of this?
Mouhamadou Bamba has 6 tracks. The first 5 tracks of Bamba + Yen Saay - which is also on Spotify on 'Classic Titles: Orchestra Boabab'.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”