Tidal

Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Tidal

Post by Maschine_Man »

http://tidal.com/us/download

Can I get on my little rant soap box for a minute?

It started yesterday when a bunch of musicains changed their social media images to a bright aqua colour. Not a new album, but another streaming service. (Yay! :? ) So I looked up the video telling me what it is. Apparently it is going to revolutionize music (again). Thank the heavens.
So to be clear the pull they have over other streaming services is:
1. Higher qulity music
2. Music Videos
3. Articles (I think)
4. Artist Owned

Number three is irrelevant the the whole thing. The first two are not at all revolutionary. I can't stream lossless music to my phone when I'm out and about, I do not have that kind of phone data. And while I think the goal of better quality music is a great cause, I don't know a single other person who would care enough to upgrade from their already existing music streaming service. Music videos are cool, but there is this fantastic website called YouTube that I already have access to for free.

The most important seems to be the fourth point, artist owned. Apparently all the struggling, Billboard-topping, musicians are here to lend a hand to upcoming musicians. Not many new faces in the lineup there Tidal. I would rather be interested in them explaining how their business model works rather than telling me I can make playlists. How are you going to support new musicians? Don't you still have to pay money to the record companies? Maybe there is reason there aren't many musician owned music distribution services.

This is the keynote: http://tidal.com/us

Well if this is not the most boring launch of anything ever. Have a look at that insane lineup of musicians, and listen to the awkward yells of a few people from the back of the audience. Why not ban cameras and phones if you are having it professionally filmed? Get some fans in that room, the press can watch the video. Alicia Keys, stop talking. Everyone pick a dress code and stick to it. Madonna, just stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

Most irritatingly, what is the whole signing of the declaration? You aren't the founding fathers. Stop it.

*gets of soap box*

Now that I'm done, lets discuss Tidal in a less sarcastic tone.

1. Are you interested in Tidal? Has anyone already tried the service?
2. Do you think Jay Z is going to save the music industry with this move?
3. Will enough people convert to caring about lossless to keep this afloat?
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Re: Tidal

Post by Setherex »

To be fair, there aren't any real details about what Tidal is going to be supplying that we can judge on at this point. They've promised "exclusive content" among other revolutionary things, but aside from higher quality music, which is obviously no reason to consider supporting them for the price they're asking, no real product has been shown yet.

Give it time. For now, let's just bask in the glory of a line-up that is to music what The Expendables are to movies :D
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I came to this thread expecting a discussion about the Fiona Apple album and was sorely disappointed.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

acroamor wrote:I came to this thread expecting a discussion about the Fiona Apple album and was sorely disappointed.
:D :mrgreen:
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

The launch was supremely underwhelming. You would think something more creative would be done with the array of talent gathered for the occasion then having them all stand awkwardly next to each other.

Just started the free trial of the streaming service. The layout is somewhat cumbersome, and the design for spotify is a lot better, but as far as sound quality goes, Tidal is excellent IMO. Hearing new textures/elements to familiar songs is a great experience, the sound as a whole is very full and balanced. I'm no audio expert though, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.
Mindrocker
Let's Get It On

Post by Mindrocker »

Not sure if this will be successful. I understand they're going to charge $20 per month . Why buy a membership when there are other streaming sites offering basically the same services for half of that price (or even less)?

And that claim about starting a streaming service where the profits will go to the artist, coming from musician celebs who all already are millionaires?...Erm. Well, at least Bono was not invited to make things worse.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

I've pointed at least two artists they seem to have that Spotify doesn't: Taylor Swift (up until Red, no 1989 strangely) and Big Black (try to find artists more different than those two). Still no Beatles or AC/DC though, and I've noticed some oddities (the early Sonic Youth albums are missing, for instance). The discographies for French artists are a mess, but at least they are not plagued by those billions cheap compilations that Spotify seems to feature.

I kinda like their minimalistic presentation, especially since Spotify has pissed me off SO MUCH with their last couple updates. The presence of videos is interesting in a way - Daft Punk have released at least their "Electroma" movie on Tidal.

However, I'm not sure yet if it's worth converting. It IS expensive and some great stuff is still missing, but I respect the intention. I'd like to hear more opinions before taking a decision.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”