Father John Misty's "I Love You, Honeybear"

Setherex
Movin' On Up

Father John Misty's "I Love You, Honeybear"

Post by Setherex »

[imgsize 500x500]https://rymimg.com/lk/o/l/9b0b7d596870a ... 463513.jpg[/imgsize]

"I Love You, Honeybear"
Father John Misty
Indie Folk
February 10, 2015

01. "I Love You, Honeybear"
02. "Chateau Lobby #4 (in C for Two Virgins)"
03. "True Affection"
04. "The Night Josh Tillman Came to Our Apt."
05. "When You're Smiling and Astride Me"
06. "Nothing Good Ever Happens at the Goddamn Thirsty Crow"
07. "Strange Encounter"
08. "The Ideal Husband"
09. "Bored in the USA"
10. "Holy Shit"
11. "I Went to the Store One Day"

Setherex
Movin' On Up

Re: Father John Misty's "I Love You, Honeybear"

Post by Setherex »

I've been re-listening to "Fear Fun" all day, so needless to say, I was extremely pumped going into this album listen. And wow. I need a bit more time here, guys.

Also, how often are you guys interested in seeing these album discussion topics, if anyone has a say? I don't know if once a month (which is what it's been, I guess) is too sparing, or if once a week is too flooded. Or just some kind of vague medium. I basically just make one when I'm interested :music-listening: ... maybe that's the best way to go?
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

This album was added to the Dutch 'luisterpaal' today, and I am looking forward to hearing it. Pitchfork gave it a high score.

I'd say about twice a month maybe? Once a week is maybe slightly too often hile once a month only makes twelve in a year. So yes, somewhere in between ould be my preference.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Isn't it just best to base the amount of album topics on the albums themselves? I mean, I understand that the forums shouldn't be flooded with them, but I'm nut sure if there is any sense in limiting it if an interesting, popular of downright awesome album presents itself.

By the way, I think these topics are great for getting people more to talk about albums and their artists, outside of the short summaries that you usually find in year-end lists or the Album 2015 topic.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

It's a great album, and probably my AOTY thus far. I wasn't all too familiar with Father John Misty's earlier work, but this album is great, and definitely an album to check out if you're in dire need of new Fleet Foxes material (like I am).

The little touches that Tillman gives to the songs on here can be pretty broad, from the mariachi horns on the second track, "Chateau Lobby #4", to the weird electronica like backing on a track in the middle of the album whose name escapes me right now, to the canned laughter on the album's highlight "Bored in the USA". "I Love You, Honeybear" can also be a somewhat cynical album, like on the aforementioned "Bored in the USA", a track that is absolutely dripping with cynicism. But the songs here can also be full of love, like on the closer "I Went to the Store One Day", which is about Tillman meeting his wife for the first time.

That's about all I can say about the album after only one listen, but if you're a fan of Fleet Foxes, or singer-songwriter music in general, you should check this album out.

By the way Setherex, I'd be fine with one of these discussions once every week or every two weeks. I think that's a good amount. But I wouldn't force it. Maybe just have one every time there's a notable release?
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Listening to it at the moment. Almost half way through it definitely keeps me interested. Looking forward to the rest of it.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Really want to hear this but I'm having problems accessing Spotify at the moment. Is there any other place I can still stream it?
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Matski wrote:Really want to hear this but I'm having problems accessing Spotify at the moment. Is there any other place I can still stream it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57yHnFN ... Ag3KKEGADS
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

Fantastic album. A leg up from Fear Fun and I really enjoyed Fear Fun. Through just one listen, the track that probably stood out the most was "True Affection," but I also quite liked the title track and "The Ideal Husband."
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Just got through listening to it. It's a good album but I wouldn't rank it toward the absolute top. It's got some nice melodies but it's also kind of melo and has some very glib lyrics.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Setherex wrote:
Matski wrote:Really want to hear this but I'm having problems accessing Spotify at the moment. Is there any other place I can still stream it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57yHnFN ... Ag3KKEGADS
Cheers Setherex. Will listen to it throughout the week. :music-listening:
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

After an absurd amount of listens today, ILYH has bested my 2015 reigning champion Tesuo & Youth! Fantastic album in literally every way, not a single weak track on the whole thing.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Listened to it for the first time tonight. I need a couple more listens to fully absorb the album, but it's quite good and clearly a huge step beyond Fear Fun. The artist Tillman reminds me of most strongly right now is Randy Newman - gorgeous melodies and arrangements covering heavily ironic, sarcastic, or cynical lyrics. The difference is that whereas Newman hides behind characters and detailed fictional scenarios, Tillman (despite releasing his music under a pseudonym) directs all (well, almost all) that irony and sarcasm and cynicism squarely at himself - this is as nakedly personal and self-lacerating (but culminating in clearly hard-won happiness) a set of songs as you're ever likely to hear.
VanillaFire1000
Let's Get It On

Post by VanillaFire1000 »

Anyone else listen to the MIDI version of it? I really liked that too.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

I've listened to this album quite a lot the last couple of days, and now it's probably my favorite album of the year so far. A good start of 2015.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”