Albums of 2015

Nick
Running Up That Hill

Albums of 2015

Post by Nick »

Well the year is already 1/26 th of the way over (or...so), so I figure it's as good of a time as any to post your obligatory "albums of XXXX" thread.

Thus far I've heard these albums, all of them very good.

Panda Bear- Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper

Panda Bear's newest album doesn't reach the heights of 2007's "Person Pitch", but it is a great pop album, taking the aesthetics he put forth in his last album "Tomboy" and making them bolder and poppier. If you liked the lead singles "Mr Noah" and "Boys Latin", you'll like this a lot.

Sleater-Kinney- No Cities to Love

Embarrassingly enough, this album is the first Sleater-Kinney album I've heard. I've listened to a handful of songs by them before, but I never bothered to check out a full album by them until now. And it's a very satisfying album! Tons of hooks and a great, energetic punk rock feel to it. I'll have to listen to some of their back catalog now.

Viet Cong- Viet Cong

Post-punk album, only a handful of songs long. The lead singer sounds kind of like Bowie, and the whole album has a feel to it that's very reminiscent of Iggy Pop's "The Idiot". The final song is absolutely apocalyptic.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: Albums of 2015

Post by Jirin »

Where are you hearing the new S-K album?

Listening to Panda Bear album right now.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Jirin wrote:Where are you hearing the new S-K album?

Listening to Panda Bear album right now.
The new Sleater-Kinney is streaming now at NPR.

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/11/376085344 ... es-to-love
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

NPR are also hosting the self-titled Viet Cong album that Nick mentioned above. It really surprised me as I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did, based on some of the previous songs they had released. Here's the link:
http://www.npr.org/2015/01/11/375894264 ... -viet-cong
Last edited by Matski on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Don't forget Belle & Sebastian's "Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance"!
http://www.npr.org/2015/01/11/376089901 ... t-to-dance
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

:happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Arca and The Haxan Clock producing makes me very excited to hear this. Loved the latter's last record, 'Excavation' and it will be fascinating to hear what those twisted and sombre soundscapes sound like clashing against Björk's vocals...
notbrianeno wrote:Don't forget Belle & Sebastian's "Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance"!
I had honestly considered posting this notbrianeno and have enjoyed it too, though not as much as the Sleater-Kinney or Viet Cong releases.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Matski wrote:Arca and The Haxan Clock producing makes me very excited to hear this. Loved the latter's last record, 'Excavation' and it will be fascinating to hear what those twisted and sombre soundscapes sound like clashing against Björk's vocals...
notbrianeno wrote:Don't forget Belle & Sebastian's "Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance"!
I had honestly considered posting this notbrianeno and have enjoyed it too, though not as much as the Sleater-Kinney or Viet Cong releases.
No problem, i was just sharing the link rather then demanding an explanation for its absence lol. Quite excited for new Bjork as well!!!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Loving the new Sleater-Kinney and the new Belle & Sebastian.

On the first listen they both seem comparable quality to their existing good stuff. Just enough of the same and just enough of the different to both sound like the band and sound fresh.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Jirin wrote:Loving the new Sleater-Kinney
Yes.

At one point I was nodding along when I suddenly realized Weiss and Brownstein were singing harmony. Not just shouting against Tucker, but actually... harmonizing. Musically and in production terms this is a leap forward, but then, these are three middle aged ladies, not angry twenty-somethings. Still angry though.

Just brought home the vinyl. Lovely package. Also love that Sub-Pop includes your choice of FLAC, ALAC or MP3 downloads with their albums, at a very reasonable price point; wish more labels were so considerate.

Also enjoyed Belle and Sebastian, still on the fence re: Viet Cong and very disappointed in Dan Mangan + Blacksmith on one listen.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Belle & Sebastian was great, Sleater-Kinney was pretty good, really disappointed with the new Decemberists record.

Vulnicura is spectacular, Bjork blew me away with this one guys
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Just listened to "Vulnicura". It's hard to know what to make of it. There's nothing on the album as immediately accessible as, say, "Hyper-Ballad", "All Is Full of Love", "Venus as a Boy", etc. It's a weird album, and the production from The Haxan Cloak and Arca is really evident. There's tons of strings, and dark pulsing beats throughout the songs here. If I had to name a major complaint, it's that sometimes the songs tend to run a bit too long (7 out of the 9 songs here are over 6 minutes long, and 1 song is over 10 minutes long), but that's about the only real weakness of "Vulnicura". It's not something for real casual fans of Bjork, but it's a very good album, and one that feels much darker than the bright cover art would suggest.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

American Beauty/American Psycho by Fall Out Boy had some really catchy songs, but ended up way way too insubstantial for my liking. Sampling felt very forced, like a desperate grab for top 40 radio (which "Centuries" is currently doing well on). Thus my love/hate relationship with this band continues.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Sleater-Kinney's had stronger individual songs, but Pratt's is the one I've been returning often; hypnotic folk that improves her charming, wintery debut on nearly every level. Taking my time to nurture the new works by Björk and Roberts.

1. Jessica Pratt - On Your Own Love Again
2. Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love
3. Björk - Vulnicura
4. Matana Roberts - Coin Coin Chapter 3: River Run Thee
5. Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets The Grim Ripper

Need to Listen to:

Belle and Sebastian
Jazmine Sullivan
Viet Cong
Natalie Prass
Aphex Twin
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Just finished listening to the new Joey Badass album. Joey Badass is a young American rapper whose debut album "B4.Da.$$" (pronounced "Before da Money") has been making some waves in some hip-hop circles.

All in all, the album isn't bad, but a lot of the beats feel somewhat cliche and uninspired. At its best, the album has some good songs with solid beats, and Joey's flow never really falters. But I don't know if the album justifies its run time, and there isn't all too much here that's new to anyone decently versed in hip-hop. Joey does what he does well, and that's enough to make most of "B4.Da.$$" an enjoyable listen at least, but I do wish Joey tried something a little more original.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

HRS wrote:Sleater-Kinney's had stronger individual songs, but Pratt's is the one I've been returning often; hypnotic folk that improves her charming, wintery debut on nearly every level. Taking my time to nurture the new works by Björk and Roberts.

1. Jessica Pratt - On Your Own Love Again
2. Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love
3. Björk - Vulnicura
4. Matana Roberts - Coin Coin Chapter 3: River Run Thee
5. Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets The Grim Ripper

Need to Listen to:

Belle and Sebastian
Jazmine Sullivan
Viet Cong
Natalie Prass
Aphex Twin
Seems like we've made similar lists HRS, only you've already heard the one's I'm yet to hear (Björk, Matana Roberts and Panda Bear) and I've already listened to both the Belle and Sebastian and Viet Cong albums, with Natalie Prass' album currently playing through my headphones too.

Completely agree with you about 'On Your Own Love Again'. Wonderful, little album. :music-listening:
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Couldn't find Jessica Pratt is any of the streaming services I can access at work, but the one song I listened to was pretty good.

1. Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love
2. Gaz Coombes - Matador
3. Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass : might overtake Gaz Coombes after a few listens, most songs are very lovely, the final is very Disneyesque... Reprise has terrible lyrics though and is overall pretty bad, but not enough to ruin the album
4. BC Camplight - How To Die In The North : someone really like Brian Wilson. That's a pretty good album too, I'm sure some AMers would really enjoy it
5. Enter Shikari - The Mindsweep
6. Panda Bear - Panda Bear meets the Grim Reaper

The NPR steam of Vietcong crashed half the way through so I'm postponing my ranking of this one ;)
Last edited by Nassim on Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Just started with 2015 as I was away the first couple of weeks. So far, I'm impressed by Viet Cong, The Decemberists' What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful world is worth a listen, but not very special and I personally think that Sleater-Kinney's No Cities te Love is overrated, but I have to admit I think most punk albums are overrated. One of the few genres I really have a hard time enjoying. London Calling is a refreshing exception to that, but that album doesn't consist of pure straight punk anyway, fortunately.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

The new Björk and Matana Roberts albums are absolutely incredible, this is proving to be a great January.

Also of note: Sean McCann's Ten Impressions for Piano & Strings, Sleater-Kinney (it's as if they'd never left ... also, I don't really consider them "punk"), and Belle & Sebastian, which I like a lot more than the consensus and I think is their best since The Life Pursuit. Viet Cong seems good too, but need to give it some more listens.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I think Belle & Sebastian's is on the same level as Life Pursuit. I haven't heard negative consensus about it though, last I checked it had an 82 on MC.

Bjork is not on Spotify yet.

I like Viet Cong, they remind me a lot of late 70s' post punk.

Edit: B&S is down to 77 now. Still, that's a medium-good metascore.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I gave Natalie Prass' new album a listen a couple nights ago. It's a good album, orchestral singer/songwriter with a slight country edge to it. If that sounds like your thing, check it out. If not, you probably won't like it. I could see Natalie's voice being a bit too high pitched for some, but I enjoy it. That's about all I can say about it after a single listen.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Albums I like so far this year:

Jazmine Sullivan - Reality Show
Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth
Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass
Bjork - Vulnicura
Sleater-Kinney - No Cities To Love
Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reape
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Nassim wrote: 3. Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass : might overtake Gaz Coombes after a few listens, most songs are very lovely, the final is very Disneyesque... Reprise has terrible lyrics though and is overall pretty bad, but not enough to ruin the album
Agreed, I had a hard time swallowing the finale of her self-titled album, and for me it's not very far away from ruining the album. I was getting really interested during the first song, but I don't think most of the other songs keep up with that one.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

My face when I realized where she had lifted part of It Is You:

notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

I feel like the Natalie Prass album is aesthetically great, but very weak lyrically. Whoever producer gave the songs that Dusty Springfield/Dolly Parton feel did a great job, and Natalie has a great voice, but in the end the album just didn't leave me satisfied. By the third track I was thinking about how I would rather be listening to Jenny Lewis/Rilo Kiley instead.

Tetsuo & Youth is insane, lyrical poetry,both intricately beautiful and gut-wrenchingly raw. Even if you've no inclination towards rap music, I would recommend this album.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Looking forward to listening to 'Tetsuo & Youth', as well as 'B4.DA.$$'. Exciting start to the year for hip hop.
Jirin wrote:I think Belle & Sebastian's is on the same level as Life Pursuit. I haven't heard negative consensus about it though, last I checked it had an 82 on MC.
Edit: B&S is down to 77 now. Still, that's a medium-good metascore.
Fans have been more severe of it that the critics. For example, on RYM the new B&S album is amongst the worst-rated of their studio album output. Not to say I'm smitten by the new album myself but their consensus that it's a lot worse than 'Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant' or 'Write About Love' feels too harsh. Then again, these kind of public reviewer sites often down-rate newer albums and maybe in time it'll become better appreciated.
Nassim wrote:3. Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass : might overtake Gaz Coombes after a few listens, most songs are very lovely, the final is very Disneyesque... Reprise has terrible lyrics though and is overall pretty bad, but not enough to ruin the album
Gillingham wrote:Agreed, I had a hard time swallowing the finale of her self-titled album, and for me it's not very far away from ruining the album...
Maschine_Man wrote:My face when I realized where she had lifted part of It Is You...
Funny, my first thoughts when listening to 'It Is You' the other night were, 'Is this Ms. Pratt's unique way of auditioning for composer of the next Disney production?..', quickly followed by, 'I wonder how divisive this song will be amongst the online community?..' and 'Is it going to start a fad of folk/indie musicians imitating their favorite musicals?..'
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Matski wrote: Funny, my first thoughts when listening to 'It Is You' the other night were, 'Is this Ms. Pratt's unique way of auditioning for composer of the next Disney production?..', quickly followed by, 'I wonder how divisive this song will be amongst the online community?..' and 'Is it going to start a fad of folk/indie musicians imitating their favorite musicals?..'
Just to be clear I really like "It is You" (no idea where it is from), as Disney as it can be ; it's the previous track "Reprise" which I found terrible.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

My opinion on Tetsuo & Youth is that Lupe is too technical. It's like he's such a technically good rapper, that he comes up with these complex rhymes and words and it comes off like he's trying too hard. Same problem that Eminem has had in recent years. But that's just my opinion.

I thought Vulnicura was quite good. I generally don't like Björk's voice or delivery, but with Arca's production the album was listenable to me.
I feel like that
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Nassim wrote:
Matski wrote: Funny, my first thoughts when listening to 'It Is You' the other night were, 'Is this Ms. Pratt's unique way of auditioning for composer of the next Disney production?..', quickly followed by, 'I wonder how divisive this song will be amongst the online community?..' and 'Is it going to start a fad of folk/indie musicians imitating their favorite musicals?..'
Just to be clear I really like "It is You" (no idea where it is from), as Disney as it can be ; it's the previous track "Reprise" which I found terrible.
Eh I love Reprise. That might be my favorite song on the album.
Mighty Blues
Superunknown

Post by Mighty Blues »

Exciting start to the year for hip hop fans. Cannot wait to get Tetsuo & Youth on. Such a big fan of Lupe's first two albums and I hear it's a return to form.

A little disappointed by B4DA$$. It's difficult to criticise as it ticks all the boxes. Decent beats. Thought provoking lyrics. And joey is clearly a good rapper. But there's just something missing. Don't think he is ever going to reach the heights of 1999 again.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I'm enjoying the Sleater-Kinney album more than I thought I would. Another band to go back and listen to their past stuff. ALso need to listen to more of Gaz and Natalie.

Really enjoying listening (and hearing all the positive feed back) to Vulnicura. While I loved Biophilia it really didn't make sense as an album divorced of the extras - the shows the education aspect. It's a return to form and it's unfortunate that it was such a horrible experience that brought it to life. I love the triptych of triptychs and then the mini triptych at the center of the album that is Family. It took a few listens to realize that the parts of the song represent the father (droning, apocalyptic) mother (bjork with her frustrated strings) and then the child (warm and glowing).

Albums I'm looking forward to:

The Villagers
Until The Ribbon Breaks (a Spotify find)
Gorillaz!!!
Will Butler
Laura Marling
Courtney Barnett (Saw her last night and I love the new single)
Django Django
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Haven't heard any of the bigger albums yet.

I did hear the last Doomtree, though.

Doomtree are a rap group based from Minneapolis. They have a tendeny to make haotic beats and songs without choruses. With their latest albums, most of them at least have hooks. They are an original group, so at least listen to them if you're tired or rappers rapping about weed and women.

Doomtree-All Hands 4/5
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Is Vulnicura streaming anywhere? It's not on Spotify or Grooveshark, and as much as I love Bjork's early stuff her recent output certainly does not put her in blind buy territory.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

^ I don't think so. The quick release after the leak probably left those contracts up in the air.
Maschine_Man wrote: The Villagers - Darling Arithmetic
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Wasn't a fan of Doomtree at all, sounded very much like a watered-down RTJ2 imitation
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The Dodos new album is very good. At least on the level of Visiter, maybe better.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

notbrianeno wrote:Wasn't a fan of Doomtree at all, sounded very much like a watered-down RTJ2 imitation
What's funny is I didn't think RTJ2 was anything special but I've liked Doomtree for awhile.

And yes, the Dodos album is pretty good. 4.5/5. Probably my favorite album by them, or at least best since Time to Die.

And can I even hear Vulnicura anywhere anymore? It got nuked from Youtube and Spotify and no Google search gives me anything. I'm very curious but can't find it.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Rolling Stone Bob Dylan Shadows in the Night review:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/album ... t-20150203

Only 4 stars???

I feel like that
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

I'm stunned that the Dylan album is getting such great reviews. When I heard about it I assumed it was going to be an ill-conceived disaster on the scale of the Christmas album a few years back. Anyone here heard it yet?
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Harold wrote:I'm stunned that the Dylan album is getting such great reviews. When I heard about it I assumed it was going to be an ill-conceived disaster on the scale of the Christmas album a few years back. Anyone here heard it yet?
I heard it and I thought it was quite good, but then again I thought the Christmas album was quite good.
I feel like that
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Just gave Dylan's newest album a listen. It has a nice sound to it, but it's a bit on the anemic side. On the plus side, Dylan's singing is actually the best it's been in over a decade on this album, which is nice as it suits the music well. I'm only a casual Sinatra fan, so maybe the Sinatra superfans out there will find more to like about "Shadows in the Night" than I did. Still, it's a good, inoffensive, easy to listen to album. But wouldn't it be absolutely weird if this was the last album Dylan ever made?

1. Bjork- Vulnicura- 80/100
2. Panda Bear- Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper- 80/100
3. Sleater-Kinney- No Cities to Love- 80/100

4. Natalie Prass- Natalie Prass- 75/100
5. Viet Cong- Viet Cong- 75/100

6. Joey Badass- B4.DA.$$- 65/100

7. Bob Dylan- Shadows in the Night- 60/100
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Enjoying the new Matana Roberts as well. Seems to be a bit more experimental and slightly less jazzy than her previous Coin Coin albums.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Shadows in the Night was actually quite good, best I've heard from Dylan in a while, which is remarkable for a covers album!

Lupe Fiasco-Tetsuo and Youth
Bjork-Vulnicura
Panda Bear-Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper
Bob Dylan-Shadows in the Night
Viet Cong-Viet Cong
Belle & Sebastian-Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance
Sleater Kinney-No Cities To Love
Natalie Prass-Natalie Prass
Fall Out Boy-American Beauty/American Psycho
Doomtree-All Hands
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Let's take a minute to confirm that so far women are doing the best music of the year and acknowledge how awesome Courtney Barnett's Pedestrian at Best is. Catchy, fun and insanely quotable ; "I think you're a joke but I don't find you very funny" is a putdown for the ages. And also the video is quite awesome.

I haven't listened to the new Dodos albums in full yet but I like what I have heard so far, probably the closest to Visiter they have ever been. Not even quite as good as it though, but it's my #23 albums of all time so not much gets close to it anyway.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Nassim wrote:... and acknowledge how awesome Courtney Barnett's Pedestrian at Best is. Catchy, fun and insanely quotable ; "I think you're a joke but I don't find you very funny" is a putdown for the ages. And also the video is quite awesome.
The song is not only awesome, it has not left my head for a few days now. Absolutely brilliant!

My top 5 albums of 2015 so far:
1. Viet Cong
2. Björk
3. The Decemberists
4. Belle And Sebastian
5. The Dodos
See also my list in progress.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Nassim wrote:Let's take a minute to confirm that so far women are doing the best music of the year and acknowledge how awesome Courtney Barnett's Pedestrian at Best is. Catchy, fun and insanely quotable ; "I think you're a joke but I don't find you very funny" is a putdown for the ages. And also the video is quite awesome.

I haven't listened to the new Dodos albums in full yet but I like what I have heard so far, probably the closest to Visiter they have ever been. Not even quite as good as it though, but it's my #23 albums of all time so not much gets close to it anyway.
Although my favorite album of this year is Viet Cong, I do agree with your statement about women and I haven't even heard Vulnicura yet. I hope they are able to keep it this way all year!
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear: 8.6
The production is really good, but there's something about his vocals that I don't like.
Edit: But actually even the vocals grew on me as the album progressed. I think the end songs are better than the beginning.

Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love: 8.5
Bob Dylan - Shadows in the Night: 8.3
Björk - Vulnicura: 7.9
Future - Beast Mode (EP): 7.5
Last edited by PlasticRam on Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
I feel like that
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

GucciLittlePiggy wrote:In addition to some of the artists you mentioned, I'd say don't count out Adele, James Blake, Beach House, Grimes, or even Father John Misty to nab a spot in the top five (Father John Misty potentially being the Benji of 2015).
8.8 on Pitchfork and 90 on metacritic so far for Father John Misty, maybe GucciLittlePiggy crystal ball is working ;)
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Andre wrote:
Nassim wrote:... and acknowledge how awesome Courtney Barnett's Pedestrian at Best is. Catchy, fun and insanely quotable ; "I think you're a joke but I don't find you very funny" is a putdown for the ages. And also the video is quite awesome.
The song is not only awesome, it has not left my head for a few days now. Absolutely brilliant!
If you haven't heard Avant Gardener, that's definitely worth a listen to. "The paramedic thinks I'm clever because I play guitar. I think she's clever because she stops people dying."
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Current top 5:

1. Viet Cong - Viet Cong
2. Matana Roberts - Coin Coin Chapter Three: River Run Thee
3. Jessica Pratt - On Your Own Love Again
4. Mount Eerie - Sauna
5. The Decemberists - What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”