MBV reissues

Jackson
Into the Groove

MBV reissues

Post by Jackson »

A Loveless remaster was always an "I'll believe it when I see it" thing for me, but here it is, due May 7. I don't know how much room for improvement there is for my number 1 album, but when Kevin Shields works on something for a while, I trust the result will be good.

Also, hopefully the EP compilation will allow more people to hear You Made Me Realize, Tremolo, and Glider, which are all amazing.

Link
VanillaFire1000
Let's Get It On

Re: MBV reissues

Post by VanillaFire1000 »

Why do they exactly need two remasters? What the hell is the difference?
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

It's for people like us, who don't know the limits of addiction. I'm certainly going to try to pick it up, because I think MBV are one of those bands who are wholly dependent on their sound for their acclaim. The remaster might change a lot.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I think the second disc is a remaster of demo tapes of the tracks. Probably something I listen to just once or twice to see what it sounds like (like the session tracks on the Smile reissue).

With Kevin Shields' reputation, quality control is not going to be an issue. These remasters will sound amazing.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

That's right - it's a "master from original 1/2" inch analogue tapes"

The EP's compilation has peaked my interest more than the remasters. 'Sugar' was always one of my favourite non-album tracks of theirs and it always deserved more of a wider release than the back-a*s of some odd magazine compilation. And three new tracks is just a mouthwatering prospect. It would have been great to round it off with their sublime cover versions of 'We Have All The Time In The World' and 'Map Ref 41°N 93°W' too. Guess we can't have everything...
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Matski wrote: It would have been great to round it off with their sublime cover versions of 'We Have All The Time In The World' and 'Map Ref 41°N 93°W' too. Guess we can't have everything...
I agree. Those are both great tracks, and showed that they at least did something after Loveless. I ended up just ripping those songs from Youtube because I have no idea how else to get them.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Any thoughts on this? I know they've been hinting at a new record for years, but this seems like it could be the real deal with the reissues coming out this year and all. I know better than to get my hopes up, but I know if something is released, it will be good.
VanillaFire1000
Let's Get It On

Post by VanillaFire1000 »

They're won't be another MBV record, because it is infinitely more profitable to just keep re-releasing old material and touring over that. There is a reason Pixies never came out with another record.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

VanillaFire1000 wrote:They're won't be another MBV record, because it is infinitely more profitable to just keep re-releasing old material and touring over that. There is a reason Pixies never came out with another record.
If Kevin Shields was mainly concerned with profits, he would have led his career a lot differently. And anyway, I think a tour with a new album would get a lot more attention than a simple rehash of old material.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

But the members of the Pixies didn't really like each other towards the end of their run, seeing Frank Black as far too controlling of the record making process. I could never see Pixies releasing another album, just because it would open up old scars. With MBV it was different, wasn't it? They kinda faded away. I can see them doing it.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Loveless remasters are streaming!

Also, this Pitchfork interview with Kevin Shields details the lengthy struggle he went through to get these remasters released. It also confirms his reputation of being extremely paranoid.

Shields has hinted once again at a new album in another recent interview. I have full confidence it will be amazing if it's ever released.

In the meantime, I'm really looking forward to hearing the EPs/rarities compilation. :D
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Firmly in the, "I'll believe it when I see it" camp regarding the new album. Comments about an upcoming release have been circling around for years now. "Good for You" is a little gem of a track though.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Did anyone else get these yet?

My verdict: Loveless sounds amazing but not significantly different/better than the version I already had. Isn't Anything still doesn't really work for me. And EPs 1988-1991 is one of my favorite compilations ever. I hope anyone who didn't illegally download the EPs (like I did) and hasn't heard them gives it a listen.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Finally heard it. Loveless sounded exactly the same (i.e. enjoyable), while the EPs were a really interesting listen. If only these had come out a couple of months ago, in time for the 1991 poll, I might have brought myself to listen to these more. As it stands, they've been ripped onto the laptop, and placed on the shelf, and probably not listened to again for a long time. The EPs are great though.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Zorg wrote:Finally heard it. Loveless sounded exactly the same (i.e. enjoyable), while the EPs were a really interesting listen. If only these had come out a couple of months ago, in time for the 1991 poll, I might have brought myself to listen to these more. As it stands, they've been ripped onto the laptop, and placed on the shelf, and probably not listened to again for a long time. The EPs are great though.
I had a two week period after I got them where MBV was pretty much all I've listened to. Now that's over with, though it's always great to have a new way to appreciate your favorite/most played album.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

So it looks like this new album is happening by the end of the year? All the major music news sites are reporting it.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

As usual, a track-list and/or album art please or I ain't buying it yet. As much as I'd love to believe it, it's gotten to the stage where the paranoid, old man in me feels that Kevin Shields only totes this line out in every interview for a laugh.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

The EP collection is definitely the winner of the reissues. I never heard "You Made Me Realise" until this week, and it knocked me on my ass.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”