AM Foreign World Cup: Round 1 - Eastern Europe (Part 1)

Stephan
Site Admin

AM Foreign World Cup: Round 1 - Eastern Europe (Part 1)

Post by Stephan »

Bracket 4.2.1
АукцЫон - Дорога
Czeslaw Niemen - Dziwny Jest Ten Swiat

Bracket 4.2.2
Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares - Pritouritze Planinata
Dalriada - Mennyei Harang

Bracket 4.2.3
Alexeji Dulkevich - Moldova - Rapidshare
Aleksandar Šišić - Ćhelipe

Bracket 4.2.4
Huun-Huur-Tu - Ancestors - Rapidshare
Goran Bregovic - Cajesukarije cocek
Honorio
Higher Ground

Re: AM Foreign World Cup: Round 1 - Eastern Europe (Part 1)

Post by Honorio »

The Spotify playlist, with only 5/8 songs. But three things, Stephan:
a) The song from Dalriada that Jirin (formerly BillAdama) nominated was not Ígéret instead "Mennyei harang" from the same album?
b) Aleksandar Šišić's "Chélipe" is available on You Tube .
c) The version of "Ancestors" on my Spotify link is a more recent version (2010) while the one you posted is from 2009. The original is from 1994 and I'm afraid it's not on You Tube (you can listen here to Prayer, the song that preceeded "Ancestors" on the same album, "The Orphan's Lament").
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

a) BillAdama changed his nomination at a later stage to "Mennyei Harang".
b) Updated, thanks.
c) I'll wait for Greg to tell us which version he prefers. If it's not this one, could you put the correct one on Dropbox Greg?
Greg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Greg »

added to your dropbox, stephan
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Bracket 2.4.1
АукцЫон (Auktyon) - Дорога (Doroga) (Russia, 1994)
Czesław Niemen - Dziwny jest ten świat (Poland, 1967)
The Auktyon song is quite good but my vote goes to the Polish protest song. And not for its naïve lyrics that I suppose had a deeper and stronger meaning in the context of communist Poland (see a video with English subtitles here) but mainly for the prog-soul flavours (and despite the obvious debts to James Brown's "It's a Man's Man's Man's World").

Bracket 2.4.2
Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares - Pritouritze Planinata (Bulgaria, 1975)
Dalriada - Mennyei Harang (Hungary, 2011)
I got no doubt in that bracket too. Folk metal is not my cup of tea (allthough I admit the song is good) but the story about Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares is too interesting to let it pass. Ivo Watts-Russell (founder of 4AD label and member of This Mortal Coil) was introduced to the music of this Bulgarian choir by Peter Murphy of Bauhaus by means of a third or four generation audio casette. The way how an ancient folk sound became suddenly trendy in the 80s and fitting in the catalog of a prestigious label like 4AD could seem a mystère but if you listen closely to these otherwordly voices you will realize that they absolutely belong in the same label as Cocteau Twins.

Bracket 2.4.3
Alexeji Dulkevich - Moldova (Russia, 2010?)
Aleksandar Šišić - Chélipe (Serbia, 1970s?)
The decision on this one is very difficult instead. Two absolutely terrific fiddle players of vertiginous fingers. As I mentioned in the special edition about impressive musicianship I selected the Serbian player because of more available songs on the net. The decision between the two singular songs is more difficult but I think I'll go with Aca Šišić again.

Bracket 2.4.4
Huun-Huur-Tu - Ancestors (Russia, 1994)
Goran Bregović - Cajesukarije čoček (Bosnia, 1995)
The throat singing of Huun-Huur-Tu is impressive but I'm going to vote for my own nomination. I'm aware that "Cajesukarije čoček" is not the best song by Goran Bregović: "Mesečina", my favourite, will show on the next week (and I hope it could qualify for the next round) and I though that "Ederlezi" was already on the list when I nominated the song. But anyway it's a perfect example of the most festive side of the Balkanika sound, not carrying the solemnity of "Ederlezi". In fact it's a popular sound designed for dancing. And moreover it exemplifies the mixture of sounds that characterized the music of Bregović, a melting pot of Bulgarian voices, Macedonian rhythms, Gypsy arrangements and electronic beats. Goran Bregović himself is the living proof of a possible peaceful ethnic synthesis. Born in Sarajevo, son of a catholic Croatian and an orthodox Bosnian, with Jewish background and married to a Muslim Bosnian. A synthesis not precisely peaceful at the time of the release of "Cajesukarije čoček", released during the terrible Bosnian War.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Updated the Ancestors song. Honorio, I'm assuming you're gonna stick to your vote but please confirm that.
Greg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Greg »

Bracket 4.2.1

Bracket 4.2.2

Bracket 4.2.3
Alexeji Dulkevich - Moldova

Bracket 4.2.4
Huun-Huur-Tu - Ancestors
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Bracket 4.2.1
АукцЫон - Дорога 4
Czeslaw Niemen - Dziwny Jest Ten Swiat 4.5

Auktyon is a very interesting group but this Polish soulman is really amazing (great arrangements too)

Bracket 4.2.2
Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares - Pritouritze Planinata 4.25
Dalriada - Mennyei Harang 3.75

Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares is something that I'm just discovering, one of these records that I always wanted to hear but never had the opportunity to. And it looks really great, an undeniable influence on Goran Bregovic's theme for Time of the Gypsies. Brilliant. Dalriada is less my cup of tea, but not bad at all. It just can't compete. I don’t usually look at the videos, but I’m afraid that their outfit with leather and furs just cost them their 4 stars :lol: !!

Bracket 4.2.3
Alexeji Dulkevich – Moldova 4
Aleksandar Šišić – Ćhelipe 4.5

Dulkevitch is a very talented violin player but here I find he’s overplaying every gypsy cliché on his violin, while the Šišić performance is much more spontaneous and much better in my opinion. What a musician ! I took this from an excellent Network compilation called Balkan Blues

Bracket 4.2.4
Huun-Huur-Tu - Ancestors 4
Goran Bregovic - Cajesukarije cocek 4

Cajesukarije Cocek is not my favorite song from Underground. I’ve heard a version of Ancestors that I really like (with traditional instruments of course ;) ) from the album Orphan’s Lament. Impressing. Tough choice. But I’ll go with the throatsingers.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Bracket 4.2.1
АукцЫон - Дорога
Tough choice between two great Western-influenced songs, but I prefer some soul at the moment.

Bracket 4.2.2
Good choice from the Dalriada album, but it's up against my own nomination which is just phenomenal. As I'm listening to it, I realize it doesn't work quite as well outside of the context of the entire album, but it's still phenomenal standing on its own.

Bracket 4.2.3
Both songs are enjoyable, but only one is great.

Bracket 4.2.4
Huun-Huur-Tu - Ancestors
Underground is very good, and this song brings back a little of its atmosphere, but I'm just blown away by Huun-Huur-Tu.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Stephan wrote:Updated the Ancestors song. Honorio, I'm assuming you're gonna stick to your vote but please confirm that.
Yes, Stephan, I'm going to stick with Goran (who is not doing so well so far, hope "Mesecina" next week could do it).
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Bracket 4.2.1
АукцЫон - Дорога

Close call, but the Czeslaw Niemen song sounds too much like James Brown. Дорога is kinda lightweight in comparison but sounds more original to me.

Bracket 4.2.2

The Dalriada song is much better than I thought it would be, especially since I saw that their music is classified as “folk metal” (I love folk but struggle with metal). Fortunately, though, it’s not a case of fugly metal trying to force itself on folk; instead, it’s more a case of the two of them living together in near harmony. But the beautiful and emotionally powerful Bulgarian folk music of Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares is exactly the kind of Eastern European music I like.

Bracket 4.2.3

For the second time I’m finding myself voting against one of my own nominations and voting for one of Nicolas’ instead. I nominated Moldova because it’s one of the catchiest and most colourful instrumental gypsy songs I’ve heard, with nice change-ups and a whole lot of oomph. But I like the Aleksandar Šišić song just a little bit more – partly because of the musicianship, but also because it kinda reminds me of Hank Williams.

Bracket 4.2.4
Huun-Huur-Tu - Ancestors

Throat singing is not usually the sort of thing that blows my hair back, but Ancestors is endearing. It wins against a Bregovic song which disappointed me a little after listening to the wonderful Ederlezi because of a recommendation by Honorio for the 1990 poll.
...will keep us together.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henrik wrote:In 4.2 I'd like to nominate
Ferus Mustafov - Orient cocek
but I can't find it on the web.

If it can't be found I nominate
Goran Bregovic - Ederlezi
Stephan, which one will it be next week?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henrik wrote:
Henrik wrote:In 4.2 I'd like to nominate
Ferus Mustafov - Orient cocek
but I can't find it on the web.

If it can't be found I nominate
Goran Bregovic - Ederlezi
Stephan, which one will it be next week?
Honorio, I see that you have Orient cocek in your Spotify list. I think that the version I had heard before (from a friend's CD) was a live recording, full of energy. The studio/Spotify version's production is a bit kitchy, but it's OK.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bracket 4.2.1
АукцЫон - Дорога

Дорога was my nomination I think. Proof that there's interesting rock music from Russia, in their own style too. Dziwny Jest Ten Swiat was really good as well.

Bracket 4.2.2

Easy win for the mysterious. My favorite song though is "Svatba".

Bracket 4.2.3
Alexeji Dulkevich - Moldova - Rapidshare

Violin race. I have nothing against violins, but at the end of Moldova I was a little tired so when Ćhelipe started I was like "more of this!?" but this second song got me livelier again after a little while.

Bracket 4.2.4
Huun-Huur-Tu - Ancestors - Rapidshare

I really like Cajesukarije cocek but I love Huun-Huur-Tu. Throat singing is also one of the reasons I love Chill Out.http://youtu.be/C5TUEv1wf-c?t=6m19s

Edit: If you look at the youtube link, the music is supposed to start at 6:19, but at least for me it jumps ahead to around 8 minutes.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Henrik wrote: Violin race. I have nothing against violins, but at the end of Moldova I was a little tired
Personally, I could never hear enough violin. I love string music. In fact, I love it just about as much as I love the French accordian or the bluegrass banjo (which equates to a whole lot of lovin').

My partner runs an orchestra here in the UK, which means I have to attend a lot of classical concerts (but it also means that I get to see parts of the world I wouldn't get to see otherwise :mrgreen: ). Because he's quite knowledgable about classical music, we are currently working our way through his list of the 500 most important/influential classical works of all time. At the end of this exercise I hope to have my own list of at least 100 favourite classical works. I'm loving a lot of the stuff we're listening to, from early baroque music all the way through to modern stuff that the likes of sonofsamiam and antonius would appreciate. We still have lots to listen to, but at the moment Romantic-era Russian music is my favourite. And as Russia is part of this leg of our Foreign World Cup game, I thought I'd post a very short piece that I like: Variation 18 of Sergei Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, performed here by the Berlin Philharmonic with Mikhael Pletnev on piano.
Last edited by Dan on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miguel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Miguel »

Bracket 4.2.1
АукцЫон - Дорога

Bracket 4.2.2

Bracket 4.2.3

Bracket 4.2.4
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Dan wrote:Because he's quite knowledgable about classical music, we are currently working our way through his list of the 500 most important/influential classical works of all time. At the end of this exercise I hope to have my own list of at least 100 favourite classical works.
Wow, Dan, I'd love to see this list. Please post it here when it's ready.
Henrik wrote:Honorio, I see that you have Orient cocek in your Spotify list. I think that the version I had heard before (from a friend's CD) was a live recording, full of energy. The studio/Spotify version's production is a bit kitchy, but it's OK.
I found it, Henrik! Probably you are talking about this version. Released as part of the 2003 compilation album Rromano Suno: Gypsy Music from the Balkans, I agree, this version is much better that the one in my Spotify playlist.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Hmm, I'm confused. It's got the right atmosphere but is it the correct song? I think the melody is different to the Spotify song.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henrik wrote:Hmm, I'm confused. It's got the right atmosphere but is it the correct song? I think the melody is different to the Spotify song.
My friend confirmed that Honorio's song is the same as on the CD. Thanks Honorio!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

‪АукцЫон - Дорога‬ 7
Czeslaw Niemen - Dziwny Jest Ten Swiat 6

Le Mysteredes Voix Bulgares - Pirtouritze Planinata 6
Dalriada - Mennyei harang 8

I didn't expect my sole pick of the tourney to win here but I'm glad I got people to listen to it, because I think melodic metal and Celtic melodies blend together superbly.

Alexeji Dulkevich - Moldova 6
Aleksandar Sisic - Chelipe 7

Huun-Huur-Tu - Ancestors 8
Goran Bregovic - Cajesukarije cocek 6

Ancestors is probably the most interesting song in the week, though I cold do without the buzzy voice. Most of the songs this week sound good but don't do anything that surprising or different.
Michel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Michel »

‪АукцЫон - Дорога
Le Mysteredes Voix Bulgares - Pirtouritze Planinata
Aleksandar Sisic - Chelipe
Huun-Huur-Tu - Ancestors
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Bracket 4.2.1
АукцЫон - ‪Дорога‬
Czeslaw Niemen - ‪Dziwny Jest Ten Swiat‬

Bracket 4.2.2
Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares - ‪Pritouritze Planinata‬
Dalriada - ‪Mennyei Harang‬

Bracket 4.2.3
Alexeji Dulkevich - ‪Moldova‬ - Rapidshare
Aleksandar Šišić - ‪Ćhelipe‬

Bracket 4.2.4
Huun-Huur-Tu - ‪Ancestors‬ - Rapidshare
Goran Bregovic - ‪Cajesukarije cocek‬
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Bracket 4.2.1
АукцЫон - ‪Дорога‬ - 5 (2)
Czeslaw Niemen - ‪Dziwny Jest Ten Swiat‬ - 5 (3)

Bracket 4.2.2
Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares - ‪Pritouritze Planinata‬ - 8
Dalriada - ‪Mennyei Harang‬ - 2

Bracket 4.2.3
Alexeji Dulkevich - ‪Moldova - 4
Aleksandar Šišić - ‪Ćhelipe‬ - 6

Bracket 4.2.4
Huun-Huur-Tu - ‪Ancestors - 7
Goran Bregovic - ‪Cajesukarije cocek‬ - 3
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Honorio wrote: Wow, Dan, I'd love to see this list. Please post it here when it's ready.
Will do, Honorio. It might take a while though (you can blame Wagner for that!).

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”