Unacclaimed 2.0 FINAL FOUR

whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Unacclaimed 2.0 FINAL FOUR

Post by whuntva »

Here we are at the much anticipated semifinals. After a series of crazy close games, strange groupings, and a few ties and swing votes, it has come to this!

CURRENT BRACKET

Overall, this was still a great tournament!

RULES:
[*]Vote only one song per pairing
[*]One point per vote
[*]Single elimination. Song loses and it is out.
[*]Comments encouraged but not required
[*]Tie results in a sudden-death tiebreaker

Poll still closes Sunday, 9 November at 11:59 UTC

The National-Exile (Vilify)vs. Kashiwa Daisuke-Stella

The Pointer Sisters-Going Down Slowly vs. Anais Mitchell feat. Greg Brown-Why we Build the Wall

All very deserving songs to be sure. Get busy voting, because this round is super important! Have fun!

But after this is over, we should discuss some questions. Would we be up for doing this again? If so, when? What format? Should we have a separate poll for classical based on their performance here? It's all up to you!
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Re: Unacclaimed 2.0 FINAL FOUR

Post by whuntva »

The National-Exile (Vilify)

Yes, I said "Stella" was better and probably deserved it more. But I gotta believe in my pick. The Final Four, especially by upsetting "Gymnopedie" was reward enough, but I have to avoid a shutout here.

Pointer Sisters-Going Down Slowly

Both good for similar reasons, but catchy, dany fun beats thought provoking, cathy dirges here. I'd rather dance to my music than mull over it, thank you very much.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

The National-Exile (Vilify) vs. Kashiwa Daisuke-Stella

The Pointer Sisters-Going Down Slowly vs. Anais Mitchell feat. Greg Brown-Why we Build the Wall
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Kashiwa Daisuke-Stella
The Pointer Sisters-Going Down Slowly

Thanks!
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

The National - Exile (Vilify) vs. Kashiwa Daisuke - Stella
The Pointer Sisters - Going Down Slowly vs. Anais Mitchell feat. Greg Brown - Why we Build the Wall

Honestly, any of these songs would be worthy victors at this point, and I'd be fine with most of them advancing (I enjoy "Why We Build the Wall", but not enough to justify beating out my fave)
Thanks again for hosting this Whuntva, this game has been great fun :D
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Kashiwa Daisuke-Stella

sonofsamiam hits it out of the park.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Kashiwa Daisuke-Stella
Not a difficult match this time. THE huge discovery of the game between a good song.

A lot harder than the previous one. But, one more time, this kind of music to this time always pleased me.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

Well, this was easy...

4. The National-Exile (Vilify) vs. 1. Kashiwa Daisuke-Stella

"Stella" is an absolute masterpiece, but I'm scared because I guessed the National would win when I first the list of entrants. We shall see, but go Stella go!

2. The Pointer Sisters-Going Down Slowly vs. 3. Anais Mitchell feat. Greg Brown-Why we Build the Wall

I gotta go with my nominee, but I have a lot of respect for Anais Mitchell. I actually did not expect "Going Down Slowly" to make it this far, so I'm very pleased!
slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

The National-Exile (Vilify)vs. Kashiwa Daisuke-Stella

jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Kashiwa Daisuke-Stella
Anais Mitchell feat. Greg Brown-Why we Build the Wall
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

The National-Exile (Vilify)
Anais Mitchell feat. Greg Brown-Why we Build the Wall
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

My votes go to Berninger & Bros and Anaïs.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

The National-Exile (Vilify) vs. Kashiwa Daisuke-Stella

Well, Stella has been my favorite in this game, outside of my own nominations. Besides, no matter how great Exily (Vilify) is, it would make a somewhat boring winner. It's The National doing The National and that doesn't sound like a great discovery for a forum that really likes The National doing The National.

Pretty much a tie for me. In the first round I would have voted for The Pointer Sisters, but Mitchell keeps growing for me. Both great discoveries and worthy finalist in my opinion.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Kashiwa Daisuke-Stella

I would have voted for a few other Hadestown songs but The Pointer Sisters win this one by a nose.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

The National
Anais Mitchell
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

The National - Exile (Vilify) (2011) vs. Kashiwa Daisuke - Stella (2007)

The piano bracket, two gorgeous piano-based pieces. As I told on quarter finals, I was hoping to have a "classical bracket" on semifinals, Satie vs. Daisuke. In that case the decision would have been much harder (probably I would have voted for Satie) but now for me it's much easier. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot the song by The National and its epic push, the sad melody driven by the piano and the crescendo based on a wise and gradual introduction of strings and percussion. Probably the best way to get immersed on the song is to see some clips from a video contest. My favourites are 1, 2 and 3.
But "Stella" is a whole other thing, it doesn't need visual aid to shine brightly. There are so many ideas during these (short) 36 minutes, so many intersections between styles (mainly classical and experimental electronica but also many things in between, even including some traces of Japanese traditional music from 18:55), and mainly so much beauty here that I can't help to vote for it. Moreover, as Rob said, despite the strong support for The National, "Stella" is the true discovery of the game. But I still don't know what to do if it faces Anaïs Mitchell on the final!

The Pointer Sisters - Going Down Slowly (1975) vs. Anaïs Mitchell feat. Greg Brown - Why We Build the Wall (2010)

And the female bracket. The Pointer Sisters song is fabulous, a splendid funky number with a terrific rhythm section (special mention to the bass), a dense web of keyboards and heavily treated guitars (with wah-wahs, overdrive and delay) and, of course, fantastic vocals by the sisters. And if this song alone is not prove enough of the talent of the early Pointer Sisters, you can see them live in 1975, jumpin' easily and masterfully from style to style, including be bop, funk, ragtime, rhythm & blues and even country music. Pure talent.
Anyway, and only comparing the two songs, my vote has to go to Mitchell's "Why We Build the Wall." Not exactly a discovery, it was last year when I discovered the album thanks to a suggestion by Jirin for the Moderately Acclaimed Album 4, this song was my favourite even after the first listen. The lyrics are masterful, and so is the mysterious tone reminder of an ancient folk ballad. The use of a choir answering the lead voice takes back even further, like the call and response choir of the ancient Greek theatre (an observation not as crazy as it could seem, they are representing the myth of Orpheus). In fact the contrast between the deep baritone voice of Greg Brown and the impassioned female choir (including Anaïs Mitchell and the Haden triplets) is amazing. But I still don't know what to do if it faces Kashiwa Daisuke on the final!

I love the four songs, but… Go Stella!! Go Anaïs!!
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Stella
Going Down Slowly

Sonofsamiam is king here, though the last match was actually closer than I thought.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

The National
The Pointer Sisters
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Guys, whatever if the Pointer Sisters win or not. If you have one second, look at their "Steppin" album, where "Going Down Slowly" come from... it's an incredible album from beginning to end.

Thanks to this game and to Sonofsamiam for this discovery too.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Yep, at the end of the week, it is once again time to bid two songs farewell. Due to fores beyond my control, the poll closes a bit late, but that's okay.

The National-Exile (Vilify): 8
Kashiwa Daisuke-Stella: 9

This matchup was always going to be determined by two people: Honorio (who I thought could go both ways) and Ron (who strongly endorsed neither song). Both went for "Stella" in the greatest challenge it has ever faced.

:( It is with a heavy heart I bid my pick adeiu. It didn't make the all-time list beause I hadn't played Portal 2 yet, but it went further than I thought possible and will definitely be Top 150, maybe even Top 80 next time! Well done!

Pointer Sisters-Going Down Slowly: 10
Anais Mitchell feat. Greg Brown-Why We Build the Wall: 8

For once, the Pointer Sisters had a close match. They led the whole way, but on Thursday, Anais came within one. So, still a rout, but another close game for a favorite.

Now, for all the marbles! Let's go into the finale. I thin most of us thought a Pointers-Daisuke final was in our future. Whoever wins this, it's Sonofsamiam. Who will join "Sinnerman" as the Unacclaimed champion (even though that song eventually was listed on AM)? Find out soon!

Remember, now is the best time to start planning those song lists if the poll's next year. Any of these songs could crack the Top 500.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”