LGBT-themed Songs

hectorthebat
Let's Get It On

Re: LGBT-themed Songs

Postby hectorthebat » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:55 pm

1999 - Danii Minogue - Everlasting Night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWyKo7y_LE8

2014 - Tonight Alive - The Edge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRDVXnACx7Y

Honorio
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Honorio » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:01 pm

While I was checking the most acclaimed non-English songs per year to update this thread I stumbled upon a song that definitely belong to this thread. It's Marcus Wiebusch's "Der Tag wird kommen" ("The Day Will Come"), it was released in 2014 and deals with the homophobia in the soccer world. The song and (specially) the video clip are remarkable. You can activate the English subtitles in the lower right corner to understand the lyrics.

StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby StevieFan13 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:22 pm

So, as a latecomer: this is specifically about songs about LGBT+ issues and whatnot? Because songs by gay icons could also find a place here (Kylie, Madonna, "Groove is in the Heart," etc.).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby StevieFan13 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:29 pm

I'd add:
The Beatles - Boys: Another song that changes the gender dynamic by not changing the he's to she's.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

PlasticRam
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby PlasticRam » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:58 pm

StevieFan13 wrote:I'd add:
The Beatles - Boys: Another song that changes the gender dynamic by not changing the he's to she's.

They did. Only the title is not changed.

Edit: Or I don't know how much they changed it. Certainly was unintentional, the gay aspect.
I feel like that

StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby StevieFan13 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:10 pm

PlasticRam wrote:

Edit: Or I don't know how much they changed it. Certainly was unintentional, the gay aspect.

Huh. Never mind, then.
How about Panic! At the Disco's Girls/Girls/Boys? That was definitely a clear LGBT+-themed song.

PlasticRam
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby PlasticRam » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:14 pm

StevieFan13 wrote:
PlasticRam wrote:

Huh. Never mind, then.
How about Panic! At the Disco's Girls/Girls/Boys? That was definitely a clear LGBT+-themed song.

Yes probably. Early 60s was a time that Beatles hadn't yet started the revolution of opening minds so almost no-one thought of the song as gay back then. By late 60s I think that things had already changed.

Edit: I guess the right word is that they kickstarted the revolution. Other bands followed and in turn Beatles were influenced by them.
I feel like that

bonnielaurel
Rust Never Sleeps

Postby bonnielaurel » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:33 am

I don't think these have been mentioned:

Ani DiFranco - Two Little Girls (1998)
Sinéad O'Connor - I Am Stretched on Your Grave (1990)
Melissa Etheridge - Like the Way I Do (1988)
They give awards for that music? I thought just ear plugs. (Woody Allen in Annie Hall)

StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby StevieFan13 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:23 pm

PlasticRam wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
PlasticRam wrote:They did. Only the title is not changed.

Huh. Never mind, then.

Yes probably. Early 60s was a time that Beatles hadn't yet started the revolution of opening minds so almost no-one thought of the song as gay back then. By late 60s I think that things had already changed.

Edit: I guess the right word is that they kickstarted the revolution. Other bands followed and in turn Beatles were influenced by them.

Of course, the Beatles basically owe their career to a gay man: their manager, Brian Epstein. Hell, you could almost say they owe their very existence to a gay man: while you could also make a case for Buddy Holly or Chuck Berry being the catalyst for their formation, a big factor was also Little Richard and "Long Tall Sally," the first song John Lennon really loved.

Though while we're talking LGBT+-themed songs, while the most famous version isn't particularly heavy on gay themes, the original version of "Tutti Frutti" definitely was.

StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby StevieFan13 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Here's a recent one by openly-transgender musician Shea Diamond:

Henrik
Site Admin

Postby Henrik » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:11 pm

I suggest Gabrielle's "Fem fine frøkner". It's a song that first became very popular in Norway and then again after it appeared in season 3 of the sensational Norwegian tv-series Skam, which deals with Isak's relationship with Even and is a coming out story that deals with issues of love, sexual identity, authenticity, mental illness, religion and friendship.

Gabrielle said in an interview that when she first saw the song's appearance in Skam she didn't know if she would be happy or not, since Isak doesn't like the song. However, despite Isak's reaction, "Fem fine frøkner" is definitely the song that got the biggest boost from the series (and deservedly so IMO).

Some of the lyrics of the song, translated to English:

Five fine ladies in the club, we're command
Turn it all the way up to the sky
If there are five fine guys, doesn't matter to me
There's no one else I'd rather do this with

Send me that thing you know makes us feel like our bodies are burning
It's like flying over all of our city, this song is cool so we start it again, clubbidubin, my ladies are so stunning
Maybe we're a bit disgusting
But what does that matter when it's not day anymore
Five fine ladies, three in a row
They stand alone, but we do it as a team

Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby BleuPanda » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Sometimes I wish I could know more about an artist to know whether I'm reading into things too much or if I'm actually correct in my perception; Sufjan Stevens certainly has a lot of homoromantic references through his works, but people will get in endless debates about what they 'really' mean (though it's really quite fun when the debate is whether the person in question is a gay lover or God...quite a difference there).

The big one for me recently was Art Angels by Grimes; the whole album feels like it has this asexual overtone to it, but I can't tell if that is Grimes writing from the view of an asexual person or simply rejecting romance as a narrative tool. The problem of identifying asexual themes is they are easily confused with narrative that simply don't deal with sex or romance as a subject (and with how overlooked asexual people are, my default assumption will go toward the latter).

Jap123
Are You Experienced?

Postby Jap123 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:46 pm

I think there's a bit of a transgender theme in Running up that hill

babydoll
Rust Never Sleeps

Postby babydoll » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:00 pm

BleuPanda wrote:The big one for me recently was Art Angels by Grimes; the whole album feels like it has this asexual overtone to it, but I can't tell if that is Grimes writing from the view of an asexual person or simply rejecting romance as a narrative tool. The problem of identifying asexual themes is they are easily confused with narrative that simply don't deal with sex or romance as a subject (and with how overlooked asexual people are, my default assumption will go toward the latter).

I think the whole thing with Art Angels - and why I think it's one of the most brilliant albums of the decade - is that she's rejecting conventionality, musically, aesthetically, and lyrically. Hence, I think she's simply rejecting the romance narrative tool. I don't think it's really meant to be asexual, but it comes off that way, and really, one of the great things about art is that you connect to it in a different way than how the artist made it. For example, I don't view Lemonade as a saga of marriage and infidelity, but more as an album that deals with overcoming patriarchy. Hence, for you, Art Angels is probably one of the albums that deals with asexuality. It's been a while since I've heard it, but I can honestly see why you think that and on the next listen, I'd probably hear it. But for now, I think it's dealing with rejecting conventional means, to embrace one's own oddities and idiosyncrasies.

Dan
Rust Never Sleeps

Postby Dan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:06 am

Thanks everyone for mentioning more songs and for the comments about them. When I have more time I will create an appendix containing all the songs not mentioned in the opening post of this thread and link it to that post.

And thanks for mentioning Skam, Henrik. I binge-watched translated episodes of the third season recently. Never thought I'd enjoy watching a series about Norwegian teenagers so much - I can see why Norwegian and Swedish parents are as fascinated by it as their kids. :)

About The Beatles and their manager Brian Epstein, some people have suggested that "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" was written for Epstein, who had to hide his homosexuality from the public. But John Lennon never confirmed that.

And about asexual songs, one that springs to mind is Victoria Wood's hilarious "Pam". I wish there were more songs that overtly dealt with asexuality.

Here's one for the aromantics: Stephen Sondheim's "Live Alone and Like It".
...will keep us together.

Jap123
Are You Experienced?

Postby Jap123 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:32 pm

The new Alex G song Bobby seems to be bisexual and listen to Papa was a Rodeo by the Magnetic Fields

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Harold » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:35 pm

Jap123 wrote:... listen to Papa was a Rodeo by the Magnetic Fields

Dan, who started this thread, wrote in that first catalog post that he was limiting the list (at least initially) to one song per artist; obviously there are many, many Magnetic Fields songs that would qualify (heck, a whole bunch of new ones - I assume - landed just a week and a half ago), and Dan selected "Underwear" (also from 69 Love Songs) for 1999.

Dan
Rust Never Sleeps

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:07 pm

:greetings-waveyellow: With the aim of adding songs from 2017 to the opening post of this thread, I listened to a lot of music by LGBT artists (and non-LGBT artists with LGBT themes in their songs). I usually only include 5 or so songs per year, but 2017 turned out to be an interesting year for LGBT music and I'm struggling to narrow it down from a longlist of 30 songs. So for now I thought I might as well post all 30 (in alphabetical order). Please let me know if there are other songs that you feel should be included.

Edit: Added Partner's "Play the Field," so now there are 31 songs below.

Arca - Desafío
Arca (real name Alejandro Ghersi) is a gay Venezuelan producer and singer based in London. He sings in Spanish here. The title "Desafío" translates as "challenge," but it can also mean "defiance." Although the song is certainly bold and defiant - it sounds like it's part of an experimental, religious opera from the future - there is also something in his voice that sounds wounded or injured. The video emphasises this futuristic, queer vulnerability (as does many of his other videos).

Chastity Brown - Whisper
Chastity Brown is an American singer-songwriter. She wanted this song (and video) to show intimate moments that represent the beauty of queer love.

Cub Sport - O Lord
Although "O Lord" is a pop song, the organ-led instrumentation and harmonies give it a gospel feel. Vocalist Tim Nelson wrote the song after coming out. He explained in an interview with Music Feeds, "I suddenly had everything I’d ever wanted. I was free to be my true self, I was finally in a relationship with the love of my life and I had full love and support from my friends and family, but what I didn’t expect was the realisation that when you get everything you’ve ever wanted you suddenly have everything to lose. This song ended up being my way of grappling with those feelings." The love of his life he referred to is fellow Australian band member Sam Netterfield.

Fever Ray - A Part of Us
In an interview with The Guardian, Swedish songwriter, singer and producer Karin Dreijer (AKA Fever Ray) said, "I’m definitely a queer person, but I’m very gender-fluid, I think." The song "A Part of Us" is about the safe cocoon of queer spaces, specifically nightclubs. But Dreijer explained that it's also about sometimes not feeling safe beyond those spaces, as exemplified by the line "what we are brings the wrong kind of attention out here." She mentioned in the interview that some of her friends are from Iran, where homosexuality may be punished by death.

First Hate - The One
First Hate are a duo from Denmark. "The One" is a synthpop and new wave song that's a throwback to the 80s - and I think it's a style that really suits lead singer Anton Falck Gansted's voice. As the title implies, it's a song about the complications involved in finding (or trying to be) "the one".

Fischerspooner - Have Fun Tonight
This song by the American electropop duo is another throwback to the 80s, but one that sounds fresh too. One half of the duo, Casey Spooner, has said that he wanted the song (as well as the album it comes from) to be "unabashedly homosexual". It's obviously a song about having a fun evening, but it's probably also about open relationships ("I want to hold you near / Now go have fun without me / You know that I'll be here").

Frank Ocean - Chanel
The line "I see both sides like Chanel" is likely a reference to Frank Ocean's bisexuality. The song also challenges notions of masculinity with the line "My guy pretty like a girl" and the reference to the "straight acting" guy he had sex with.

Halsey feat. Lauren Jauregui - Strangers
Both Halsey and Lauren Jauregui identify as bisexual. This hugely popular song (laced with cool synths and a catchy hook) is overtly about a relationship between two women. Halsey has said "I just love that Lauren and I are two women who have a mainstream pop presence doing a love song for the LGBT community, it's unheard of. It's very rare to see it from a female perspective."

Hayley Kiyoko - Feelings
Hayley Kiyoko identifies as gay. In an interview with Flaunt, she described this song as "super special" to her: "I wanted to write an anthem celebrating these ‘feelings,’ as opposed to suppressing them like society often makes people do in today’s dating scene. We have feelings, we get involved, and sometimes we can’t control it. After all, we’re human." In the video she expresses her feelings to another woman.

Jay Som - Baybee
Jay Som is the project of queer indie musician Melina Duterte. In the song "Baybee" she notices that her partner isn't in a good place, but knows that leaving her alone won't be the best option for their relationship ("If I leave you alone / When you don’t feel right / I know we’ll sink for sure").

Julien Baker - Appointments
This song by gay singer and guitarist Julien Baker likely describes the difficulties of being in a relationship while having mental health issues ("Appointments" in the title and lyrics presumably refers to appointments with a doctor or psychiatrist). And it's about holding on to hope under such difficult circumstances ("Maybe it's all gonna turn out all right / Oh, I know that it's not, but I have to believe that it is").

Jussie Smollett - F.U.W.
It wouldn't be a truthful representation of LGBT music from 2017 if there wasn't at least one song that condemned Donald Trump. I'm choosing "F.U.W." by Jussie Smollett to serve that purpose. Smollett is an American actor, singer and photographer. In an interview with Out Magazine, Smollett clarified his sexual orientation by stating, "If I had to label myself, I would label myself as a gay man." However, he also said that openness to love is more important than gender, revealing that "if I fall in love down the road with a woman, I’m going to love that woman." The song "F.U.W." (abbreviated for "Fucked Up World") references controversial issues from the first 100 days of the Trump administration, from the fight for transgender bathroom rights to the travel ban set in place by the President.

Kehlani - Honey
This song by R&B songstress Kehlani opens with the lyrics "I like my girls just like I like my honey; sweet / A little selfish". Speaking to MTV News, she said, "I am very openly queer. I thought that my music lacked representation of how my actual life is. I thought it was important to be myself fluidly in my music and not just in my life. My art mimics my life, so you know I have a girlfriend, and it’s only right that that’s what I make music about and that I’m able to put that out confidently."

Kelela - LMK
Kelela is a second-generation Ethiopian-American who identifies as queer. She has said in multiple interviews that being a queer, black woman in the music industry has meant that she has had to work very hard to achieve what she has achieved. She has also said that she wants her music to be empowering to other queer, black women. This also applies to "LMK" (short for "Let Me Know"), a song about being in control of your body and your sexuality.

La Louma - Tin Roof Now
There is something uplifting about the sonic backdrop of this song by La Louma (AKA Lauren Ross), yet it's a song about depression. She pleads for the sound of heavy rain on the tin roof to "drown out [her] senses" and "let the world be flooded out". But it's also a song about survival. In an interview with Culture Collide, Ross explained that “being a gay teenager living in the [American] South in the late 90s, I often felt isolated. Survival demanded adaptability."

Leon Else - What I Won't Do
Gay musician Leon Else wrote "What I Won't Do" when he was struggling to come to terms with his sexual orientation. After he'd finished writing the song, he felt a strong sense of release. He explained in a Facebook post that the song was intended to be "my own way of saying that everything is not as it seemed; it’s not a woman I wanted in my bed, but a man. It was my way of releasing the burden I felt without anyone really knowing my secret. We all deserve love. It’s what makes life wonderful."

Macy Rodman - Born
This song by trans artist Macy Rodman is a cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run," but the lyrics are reworked and musically it's an eerie reinterpretation that sounds nothing like the original. Speaking to Loverboy Magazine, Rodman said, "I wanted to make this freaky deaky cover and really bring out a kind of ghoulishness."

MØ - Nights with You
Karen Marie Ørsted, known professionally as MØ, is a Danish electropop singer and songwriter. On "Nights with You" she sings directly to a woman who is clearly very special to her, and many people have interpreted it as a gay love song. But MØ has said that "Nights with You" was written for her "best and oldest friend, and the song is a celebration of our friendship and of my love for her." So, this song should probably not be included here as MØ doesn't identify as LGBT, although she certainly is a fervent ally. But I'm including it anyway because of the plausible interpretation that it's a same-sex love song (the video features same-sex couples).

MUNA - Crying on the Bathroom Floor
MUNA is an electronic pop group consisting of 3 women who all identify as queer. The band has said that they wanted the lyrics to "Crying on the Bathroom Floor" to be about "the concept of traumatic bonding. Traumatic bonding refers to the phenomenon of survivors in abusive relationships forming strong attachments to their abusers. This attachment plays out on a physical, biochemical level throughout the cycle of abuse, akin to the highs and the withdrawals of a drug addiction. We were interested here in trying to portray the nuanced inner-struggle that comes with being mistreated."

Parson James - Only You
This song by gay singer and songwriter Parson James is a soulful, emotionally charged breakup ballad. James had a hard time coping with the breakup, but explained in an interview with Out Magazine that he has healed. He said, "I look at the song now and think that I'm actually singing to myself rather than to him. I think that I lost a part of myself in the relationship, and I've been trying to find my way back to that person. I am slowly but surely getting there."

Partner - Play the Field
Both members of the Canadian duo Partner, Josée Caron and Lucy Niles, are gay. "Play the Field" is a playful indie / power pop song about being crap at sports and being OK with it... and only really doing it to hang out with an athletic girl they like.

Perfume Genius - Slip Away
The lyrics to "Slip Away" are about forbidden love and about throwing yourself into a relationship that other people are trying to stop. For Perfume Genius (real name Mike Hadreas) this forbidden love refers to gay love and how some people still see it as wrong. In an interview with NPR Music he said, "Everybody kept asking me why I was writing about all this, when gay people can get married and it’s not illegal to suck dick in Wyoming or wherever — but there are still a lot of really horrible things going on right now."

Quay Dash - Decline Him
Quay Dash is a transgender rapper from the Bronx in New York. Her presence in the hip hop scene comes at a volatile time for transgender people in the US. Despite increased visibility for trans people within the mainstream media and an apparent increase in cisgender allies, dozens of trans women are killed in the US every year. Commenting on this in an interview with The Guardian, Dash said, “They can’t take it, especially people who are not of color. They look down on a black trans woman like me. It’s like, ‘How could you do that? How dare you?’" So at a time of violence against trans women, why then is Dash rapping about money, bitches and guns? Because she's hard as fuck and wants her voice to be heard. And her presence as a trans rapper might help break down some barriers. As she has said herself, "I’m here to stay and I'm here to slay."

Rubby - Know Me
Rubby is a queer Dominican R&B singer who refuses to use gendered pronouns in his songs. "Know Me" is a recollection of love lost. Speaking to Out Magazine, Rubby said, "The lyrics to ‘Know Me’ were initially a confrontation I had staged in my mind with my first boyfriend after he went on a school trip and fell in love with someone else. After the breakup, I became very confused because I would still see him around campus. I was hurt and didn’t know how to move on, so I turned to music."

Sakima - Daddy
"Daddy" is an apt example of the dirty pop songs written by London-based artist Sakima (born Isaac Sakima). He deliberately wants his songs to be dirty. In an interview with Billboard, he explained, "I’m not doing it for the sake of it or because I’m a horny fucker. I’m doing it to represent gay people. We’re so underrepresented in pop music, especially when it comes to sexual expression."

Sam Smith - Too Good at Goodbyes
There exists a belief that people become more tolerant of homosexuality if they know one or more gay people in their personal lives. Because listening to and appreciating music is such a personal, important thing for a lot of people, I don't think it's irrational to argue that we also "get to know" our favourite artists through the music and lyrics that they make available to us. Sam Smith has millions of fans around the world, and he has made no secret of it that most of his songs were created as the result of his heart being broken by men he has loved. I hope that more and more people will increase their level of tolerance as they listen to his music. About his song "Too Good at Goodbyes," Smith explained in an interview with the BBC, "To be honest, this song isn't about anyone else, this is about me and how I deal with heartbreak. It isn't about the other person. The other person was actually really lovely, which makes it all that much harder."

St. Vincent - Los Ageless
Annie Clark, better known by her stage name St. Vincent, doesn't relate to any specific label regarding her sexual orientation. She said in an interview with Rolling Stone, "I believe in gender fluidity and sexual fluidity. I don't really identify as anything. [. . .] I think you can fall in love with anybody." Her latest album Masseduction appears to occasionally make reference to her relationship with her ex-girlfriend, the model and actress Cara Delevingne, especially the heartbreak and disillusionment that came from that relationship. Even on "Los Ageless," a song about Hollywood's superficiality and its obsession with staying young, you get the impression that she really means it when she suddenly changes the topic to sing, "How can anybody have you and lose you and not lose their minds too."

Sufjan Stevens - Mystery of Love
"Mystery of Love" was written by Sufjan Stevens for the soundtrack of the acclaimed gay-themed film Call Me By Your Name. The song is a beautiful backdrop to the budding relationship between the two main characters in the film.

The xx - I Dare You
Co-leads Madley Croft and Oliver Sim both identify as gay. On "I Dare You" Croft and Sim explore feelings of being infatuated with someone. The album that the song comes from (I See You) was partly inspired by Sim's past struggles with alcohol, and lyrics like "Intoxicated" and "a different kind of high / A rush of blood" might be a reference or comparison to that.

Tyler, the Creator feat. Estelle - Garden Shed
On his debut album Tyler, the Creator (born Tyler Gregory Okonma) used the word "faggot" and other anti-gay lyrics 213 times, which unsurprisingly led to accusations of homophobia. However, on his latest album (Flower Boy) the lyrics on a few songs suggest that he might in fact be gay (or bisexual, or at least somewhere on the spectrum). This is perhaps most notable in the song "Garden Shed," which seems to be about keeping one’s sexual orientation concealed, more commonly referred to as being "in the closet."

Wrabel - Bloodstain
Wrabel is a queer musician from Los Angeles. On "Bloodstain" he sings that opening his heart "has left a bloodstain" and he admits that he doesn't know "how to make a man stay." But he's ultimately "alright with it" and "would rather love and bleed than never feel love at all."

Dan
Rust Never Sleeps

Postby Dan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:39 pm

I added Partner's "Play the Field" to the list of 2017 songs. Thanks for the recommendation, DocBrown! I also decided to add all of the 2017 songs to the opening thread instead of just a few of them. Why not.

Henrik
Site Admin

Postby Henrik » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:36 pm

I went back to this marvellous topic and realised that there wasn’t a spotify list...

I added Carl Bean’s ”I Was Born This Way”.

:happy-partydance:

Dan
Rust Never Sleeps

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:48 pm

Fab. Thanks Henrik! I've added your playlist to the opening post.

A lot of research went into this thread. It could probably do with a few changes, though (like renaming it LGBTQ+ Songs to make it more inclusive, adding more suggestions from others in the opening post, and doing even more research to find songs that I've missed). Nevertheless, I’m happy with what it is at the moment. It was created with good intentions, and Henrik, I’m really pleased that this thread and these songs have connected with you in a meaningful way.

Looking forward to adding some songs from 2018!

Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Jirin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:30 pm

69 Love Songs has a few songs on it that are ostensibly LGBT. Some only because the singer of the gender is the same as the gender specified as the love interest. Acoustic Guitar, When My Boy Walks Down The Street. Although nothing in Acoustic Guitar lyrics explicitly identifies the gender of the singer so men and women can sing it equally.

Romain
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Romain » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:10 pm

Quickly, I see three for Gainsbourg:

Rupture au miroir:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eexavCSSNo

I'm the Boy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXHtHY7Crz4

Kiss me Hardy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZDacXycw

Other wise:
Indochine - Troisième sexe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWtiCRntA-E
Renaud - Petit Pédé
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXEf7AF72D4
Zazie - Adam et Yves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-KKyAKC7L4
Starmania - Un garçon pas comme les autres
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8d2YQREQa0

these are the ones that come to mind, I'll look for other songs later

prosecutorgodot
Rust Never Sleeps

Postby prosecutorgodot » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:10 pm

From the new Idles album, "Samaritans".

Elder
Strange Fruit

Postby Elder » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:44 am

1º Frank Ocean - Forrest Gump 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnZ9q1eXvYA

Forrest Gump appears, he's Venus as a boy, a happy ending is coming ... but he is a runner

There is a lot of love here.

2º Angel Olsen - Sister 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf663c2EcCU
A beautiful song about a woman falling in love with another woman
To face the stranger in this case is to stop trying to change.

3º George Michael - Freedom '90 1990
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYAc7gB-0A
This song speaks explicitly about being gay for me.
I think it's strange that some people have noticed George Michael's sexuality with Outside

4º The Knife - Full of Fire 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoH6k6eIUS4

This song is incredible, it talks about resisting and fighting against conservatism.
These verses are cool:

"...Not a vagina
It's an option
The cock had it coming
You can't
Have an opinion"

5º Cazuza - O Tempo não Para 1989
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9i_GqYX1ys

Great gay icon of the Brazilian rock who was a victim of AIDS in the early 90's.

In the music is exposed the hypocrisy of the Brazilian society that judged Cazuza because he was gay and meanwhile the corruption dominated Brazil.

This can be described as his last great act before he died.
Last edited by Elder on Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Losing My Edge

Elder
Strange Fruit

Postby Elder » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:04 pm

6º Patti Smith - Gloria 1975
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPO0bTaWcFQ

Is not only a refusal to change the pronouns used in the original song.

In Gloria, Patti Smith adds a new verse in early music, in which she confronts a religious dogma,
turning the music into a lesbian anthem.
It is liberating to hear her sing: my sins, they belong to me

7º Pet Shop Boys - It's a Sin 1987
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRHetRTOD1Q

I see in "It's a Sin" a strong gay connotation for dealing with sin as a permanent situation and not as something related to the practice of an action.

Sin is to exist:
"....Everything I've ever done
Everything I ever do
Every place I've ever been
Everywhere I'm going to
It's a sin"

8º Antony and The Johnsons - You Are My Sister 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vskbBZ1h6ls

This song is duet with Boy George, is a song with a cheerful lyrics accompanied by a sad melody.

Just as in Angel Olsen's song the word "Sister" has great importance, now with another meaning.

9º The Smiths - Hand in Glove 1983
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcys6BMJ5Vw

I like to think of The Smiths as a gay version of The Beatles.
This song is "I Want to Hold Your Hand" from The Smiths.

10º Bonnie "Prince" Billy - I See a Darkness 1999
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAriDxTeed8

Practically the screenplay for the movie "Brokeback Mountain"

11º Panda Bear - Bro's 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTnBc_-QCXk

A long and highly acclaimed song about a Gay relationship.

... Hey man you are my "best new lover".

12º Roberta Flack - Ballad of the Sad Young Men 1969
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vjR2K6208Q

I's funny, but it's true and it's true, but it's not funny.

13º Divine - You Think You're a Man 1984
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd2Gzkkwe9Q

Great LGBTQ+ icon, His interpretation of Drag catches my attention enough to represent a strong and aggressive woman.
Without the image of Divine, "You Think You're a Man" is just another gay relationship song like so many other songs.

14º David Bowie - Young Americans 1975
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSHY1_ux8rs

Everyone wants the young American including the Davie Bowie.

15º Jenny Hval - Conceptual Romance 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CyUsST0JOU

It's an ambiguous, incredible song.
In "Conceptual Romance" it's all intuitive, but I think it fits this list perfectly.

16º Suede - The Drowners 1992
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nWJQStqrfw

I think it talks about sex between brothers ...

17º Annie Lennox - No More I Love You's 1995
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSkboTTTmpg

Because of the video in which various gender stereotypes are broken, I include this song.
The following verse of this song sounds inspiring to me:

"...No more I love you's
The language is leaving me
No more I love you's
Changes are shifting
Outside the words"

If you love, you must accept the changes that are happening...

18º Nirvana - All Apologies 1994
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWmkuH1k7uA

I know that in English the word "gay" can be translated as something like "happy"
MORE like I've never heard a gospel song that said, "I'm gay for loving Jesus"...
I presume the word "gay" was purposely inserted to demonstrate dissatisfaction in a marriage with a woman.

19º Elton John - Rocket Man 1972
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LX7WrHCaUA

I thought that Bowie had established a parallel between the characters "Ziggy Stardust" and "Rocket Man", so I discovered that the similarity is with "Major Tom".
Now I do not even think of music as gay.

"...And I think it's gonna be a long, long, time
'Til touchdown brings me 'round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home"

"Rocketman" is a metaphor, this song has a subjective lyrics.

20º Sigur Rós - Viðrar vel til loftárása 1999
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akYuy2FMQk4

Again music and video should be interpreted together.
This is gay-themed video that most caught my attention in my life.

21º Bruce Springsteen - Backstreets 1975
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oID_fZDtcs0

fanfic with Bruce Springsteen

22º RuPaul - Supermodel (You Better Work) 1993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw9LOrHU8JI

It tells the story of a young black and effeminate gay who achieved success.

23º James Blake - Retrograde 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XClvMMxBg1k

A secret gay romance.
Last edited by Elder on Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Losing My Edge

StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby StevieFan13 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Me being me, here are some LGBT-themed songs from one of Europe’s most proudly LGBT-friendly events, the Eurovision Song Contest.

Ketil Stokkan - Romeo (Norway 1986)
Ketil Stokkan represented Norway on home ground in 1986, when the contest was held in Bergen. The song itself isn’t explicitly LGBT-themed; rather, it’s just a catchy standard Europop song about winning a girl’s affections. What makes it notable is that it was the first proper representation of the LGBT community on the Eurovision stage, as Stokkan was joined by members of the Great Garlic Girls drag troupe. It was the first appearance of a drag queen in a Eurovision act. It wouldn’t be the last. It finished 12th. Stokkan would try his luck again in 1990, only to finish joint last with Finland.

Paul Oscar - Minn hinsti dans (Iceland 1997)
This was notable for being the first Eurovision entry performed by an openly gay man. Translated, it means “My final dance,” a reflection on a luxurious life coming to a close (either by changing his ways or his imminent death - they never say which). He states, however, that he doesn’t regret a thing. Oscar is a former drag queen who had already stirred up some controversy in his homeland, and his Eurovision performance was radically different from anything else on display that year. It was very sexually suggestive, with Oscar and some female dancers forming suggestive poses over a modern electronic dance beat (British commentator Terry Wogan made a rare mid-song interruption to ask, “Are you sure we haven’t switched to Channel 4?”). It went under appreciated by the juries, although the televote system introduced by some countries that year was very receptive. The song finished in 20th place.

Dana International- Diva (Israel 1998)
A landmark Eurovision moment. Dana International was the first openly transgender Eurovision participant, a striking return to the contest after two years’ absence. “Diva” was an anthem celebrating strong women in history, set to a modern dance beat. It was co-written by Svika Pick and Yoav Ginai, both of whom had attempted to compete for Israel in the past. Dana International was a very controversial choice for a competitor, and faced backlash from Orthodox Jews and conservative countries. She even had to stay in a hotel room with a bulletproof window. The race was very close between Israel and Malta, up until the very last vote (in which Israel received eight points from Macedonia, while Malta received neither of the remaining two scores, allowing Israel to win and Malta to finish third). Dana International brought the contest to Israel and would later return with the song “Ding Dong” in 2011, failing to qualify from her semi-final. Her victory was seen as a major moment for Eurovision’s large LGBT fanbase, and it remains a popular entry.

Marija Serifovic - Molitva (Serbia 2007)
Eurovision wouldn’t see another LGBT winner until Marija Serifovic brought Serbia their first victory as an independent nation with “Molitva.” The song had an intense stage performance, with Serifovic joined by five singers in matching suits and red nails. The black and red color scheme and Serifovic’s unique voice and look (very androgynous, with a full suit, short hair, and glasses) made the act stand out around Europe, and won the contest handily (including top marks from host country Finland). Another thing of did for the first time since Dana International was win in a native language, as the rule forcing contestants to sing in only their native language was lifted the year after her victory, leading all victorious songs from 99-06 to be in English. “Molitva” would also be the last until Portugal’s win in 2017 with “Amar pelos dois” by Salvador Sobral. Serifovic would come out as bisexual in 2013. And speaking of which...

Krista Siegfrieds - Marry Me (Finland 2013)
Siegfrieds’ marriage-themed entry was notable for being her way of trying to convince the Finnish government to legalize gay marriage. The performance featured Siegfrieds dressed as a bride, flanked by backing singers dressed as her bridesmaids. In the end, though, the object of her affections is actually one of them, rather than the groom, leading to a kiss. The same-sex kiss (the second of three in Eurovision history) was one of the reasons that longtime competitor Turkey withdrew from participating, and they haven’t come back since. Finland would legalize gay marriage a few years later.

Conchita Wurst - Rise Like a Phoenix (Austria 2014)
Another controversial winner came in the form of Austria’s Conchita Wurst, an androgynous performer noted for (at the time) being a drag queen with a beard. His powerful performance of “Rise Like a Phoenix” won the hearts of Europe, although he faced criticism from conservative countries like Armenia (whose representative made an unkind remark about his appearance). Nevertheless, he still managed to win points from most competing countries, even Russia and Ukraine.

Ryan O’Shaughnessy - Together (Ireland 2018)
Just this year, we saw Ryan O’Shaughnessy use “Together” as a way to feature a touching gay love story. The act involved O’Shaughnessy focusing on two relationships: between him and his piano accompanist and between two gay dancers. It brought Ireland back to the final after five years, finishing in 16th place. It also got China banned from broadcasting the second semi-final and the grand final, as their broadcast of the first semi cut Ireland’s performance for LGBT content, which led to the European Broadcasting Union taking away their broadcasting rights.

These are far from the only examples, but they were the first that came to mind.

Henrik
Site Admin

Postby Henrik » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:49 pm

Dan wrote:Fab. Thanks Henrik! I've added your playlist to the opening post.

A lot of research went into this thread. It could probably do with a few changes, though (like renaming it LGBTQ+ Songs to make it more inclusive, adding more suggestions from others in the opening post, and doing even more research to find songs that I've missed). Nevertheless, I’m happy with what it is at the moment. It was created with good intentions, and Henrik, I’m really pleased that this thread and these songs have connected with you in a meaningful way.

Looking forward to adding some songs from 2018!

You’re welcome! It was the least I could do.

And the thread just keeps growing! :happy-partydance: I will update the spotify list when I find the time.

Elder
Strange Fruit

Postby Elder » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:51 pm

24º Hot Chip - Over and Over 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl8JLyhgZRE

I do not know who this guy called Casio, but this song is gay because of him.

25º Mac DeMarco - My Kind of Woman 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R3B2Xr8kwQ

What kind of woman are you?
-Men

26º Queen - Love of My Life 1975
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUJkCXE4sAA

He made this song for a woman who was his great love.

It can be interpreted as discovering that the love of your life is a woman, BUT he realizes that he is attracted to men and the relationship of the couple becomes friendship.

27º Grimes - Flesh Without Blood 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNuQmBRB69g

Grimes said that this song is about a relationship of admiration for another woman, does not involve sexual interest.

It reveals how we can always explore multiple interpretations in one ambiguous song.

28º Pabllo Vittar e Rico Dalasam - Todo Dia 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63VaFHu5g8Q

Pabllo Vittar is a Drag queen that with her songs reached a success in Brazil that no other artist of this segment managed in the world.
This song in partnership with Rico Dalsam basically talks about sexual freedom.

Well, I can affirm that currently Pabllo Vittar confronts the conservatives of Brazil more than all the Rappers, Rockstars and New Tropicalists added.

29º Elton John - Your Song 1970
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJaWmGVQ5Ws

I am surprised that this song is not considered explicitly Gay, with verses like:

"...I don't have much money, but, boy, if I did
I'd buy a big house where we both could live"

"....You see, I've forgotten if they're green or they're blue
Anyway the thing is what I really mean
Yours are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen
"

30º Underworld - Born Slippy .NUXX 1995
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTFrCbQGyvM

It may be a song about a handsome boy with lipstick.
In music the beauty and the desire for this boy are exalted.

31º Queen - I Want to Break Free 1984
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Mc-NYPHaQ

Again clip + music.
Getting liberated here is to overcome the gender barrier, even if it is while you clean your house.

32º Frankie Knuckles/Jamie Principle - Your Love 1987
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl6uliNCkUU

Great anthem.

33º Pulp - Babies 1992
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38by00DGid0

This song is very suggestive, it is not certain whether the narrator's friend is a man or a woman.

34º The Smiths - I Know It's Over 1986
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah2NgBVC1ps

I can describe it as a song about a man who is probably gay, narcissistic and lonely.

"...If you're so very good-looking
Why do you sleep alone tonight?
I know
Because tonight is
Just like any other night
That's why you're on your own tonight
With your triumphs and your charms
While they're in each other's arms"

"...Love is natural and real
But not for such as you and I
My love"

35º Patti Smith - Land: Horses/Land of a Thousand Dances/La Mer (de) 1975
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSk6jfln84A

I read on Pitchfork that this song was inspired by a homoerotic book.
Well, it was not just me who found this song gay.

36º Suede - Breakdown 1993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv4eGLt6KvM

It's about a gay romance where he's left by a woman.

"...you can only go so far
for womankind"

"....does your love only come
does he only come in a Volvo?"

I think most gays may have wondered at some point if they would be happier in a family with a wife, children and a handsome Volvo.

37º The Zombies - Care of Cell 44 1967
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afrdo2qneoI

As women almost never commit crimes...

I can assume that this song speaks of a man in love with another man waiting for his partner to get out of prison.

being gay will never be an obvious interpretation in ambiguous songs.

38º Bloc Party - This Modern Love 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oRlpGyI1rg

A gay man singing a beautiful song about modern loves.

39º Cássia Eller - Eles 1992
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTF1t4d0k_I

It's about gays and lesbians who want to stay with their lovers without being bothered.

You do not need to know the Portuguese language to be impressed by Cassia's voice.

40º Troye Sivan - Bloom 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41PTANtZFW0

Pull up to my bumper baby,
In your long black limosine
Last edited by Elder on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Losing My Edge

BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby BleuPanda » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:12 pm

Elder wrote:24º Hot Chip - Over and Over 2006

CASIO is a company that produces, among many other things, electronic music instruments...

I think you may be stretching things a bit with some of these. Like, I wouldn't assume "Care of Cell 44" is about a man just because it's more common for men to be in prison. I've always viewed that song as kind of playfully eschewing traditional gender roles, about a man keeping a home in shape while his love is the one in prison.

Elder
Strange Fruit

Postby Elder » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:06 pm

BleuPanda wrote:
Elder wrote:24º Hot Chip - Over and Over 2006

CASIO is a company that produces, among many other things, electronic music instruments...

I think you may be stretching things a bit with some of these. Like, I wouldn't assume "Care of Cell 44" is about a man just because it's more common for men to be in prison. I've always viewed that song as kind of playfully eschewing traditional gender roles, about a man keeping a home in shape while his love is the one in prison.

Care of Cell 44

"As women almost never commit crimes..."
it was a joke
´
Over and Over
CASIO (Tadao Kashio)
I thought it was a joke made by Hot Chip

are ambiguous songs
Losing My Edge

Jap123
Are You Experienced?

Postby Jap123 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:46 pm

I always saw I See A Darkness about more male friendship than romance - to me thats why its such a great song because there arent many of a similar kind. Same goes for Bobby Jean and Backstreets.

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:18 pm

Jap123 wrote:I always saw I See A Darkness about more male friendship than romance - to me thats why its such a great song because there arent many of a similar kind. Same goes for Bobby Jean and Backstreets.

Agreed, that's part of the appeal of that song for me. I like Elder's list and comments in general, but I agree with BluePanda that some are a huge stretch. There isn't the fainted hint in I See a Darkness that any kind of romance (or sex) is involved. Elton John's song is obviously about an astronaut who doesn't like his job (I guess the line "I'm not the man they think I am at home" does it for you? In context of the rest of the song it means something different than being gay). There are a few others. Everybody brings their own bagage to a song which can make you interpret them in unexpected ways, but I'm not sure if such songs should be on Henrik's playlist celebrating gay music as they could feel like intruders.

Elder
Strange Fruit

Postby Elder » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:12 pm

I noticed that the "Tainted Love" version of Soft Cell is not on the general list.

I thought it would be an obvious choice.
Losing My Edge

Elder
Strange Fruit

Postby Elder » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:14 pm

Thanks for the comments, I made some corrections in my texts.
Losing My Edge

Dan
Rust Never Sleeps

Postby Dan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:52 pm

Thanks for the posts in this thread last month. I'm having fun exploring the songs I don't know, from the French ones to the Eurovision entries and beyond.

Elder wrote:I noticed that the "Tainted Love" version of Soft Cell is not on the general list.

I thought it would be an obvious choice.

"Tainted Love" was originally recorded by Gloria Jones in 1964 and didn't have a LGBT-related theme. I suppose it could be argued that the song took up a different meaning when Soft Cell covered it - maybe gay vocalist Marc Almond chose to perform it to confront homophobic ideas at the time about gay love being tainted/polluted/bad? But I couldn't find any evidence to support this, and I excluded it because I was a bit pedantic about there being clear LGBT themes in the songs I chose for the general list. That said, I also included a few songs by LGBT artists that weren't explicitly LGBT-themed, so from that perspective I guess I could've included it. I'll add it when I get round to updating the general list. :music-listening:

tfguenther
Superunknown

Postby tfguenther » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:04 pm

In Germany there's a song that's inseperably connected with the gay community. It's just another example of changing the intended meaning of the lyrics by keeping the male pronouns when sung by a man. The refrain goes "Er gehört zu mir, wie mein Name an der Tür" which you can translate as "He belongs to me, just like my name on the door sign". So it's not really a LGBT-themed song. But - I don't know about now, but at least in the 80s/90s - for many years this has been sort of a theme-song at the Christopher-Street-Parade and so on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv8xB9EKv68

tfguenther
Superunknown

Postby tfguenther » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:15 pm

If I'm not mistaken, "Under one roof" by The Rubettes hasn't yet been listed?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT005cG_GZE

Return to “Music, music, music...”