Unacclaimed 2.0 Group Stage: Week 3

whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Unacclaimed 2.0 Group Stage: Week 3

Post by whuntva »

Here we go again! Last week was at parts competitive and at parts a blowout, making for an entertaining round.

This week, we have all new songs and some more fun to be had.

Songs arranged at random through a web app this week are in two brackets. Rank them top to bottom, four votes for the first, one for the last.

Top TWO advance! Ties are broken by first-place votes

Comments not required, but highly encouraged in the spirit of this game.

Poll ends Sunday, 31 August, 11:59 pm UTC

MADONNA GROUP
18) Tantra-Hills of Katmandu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_l_Q70I-u4
34) Temper Trap-Fader
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPPdetZTOx0
35) Eddie Kendricks-Eddie's Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFzdmvtxFvg
41) Mayer Hawthorne-A Long Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZZUfn9jJnA

THOM YORKE GROUP
6) Neil Young-Transformer Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eblFQppJfyg
13) The National-Exile (Vilify)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Vg2YS-sFE
36) Walk the Moon-Anna Sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlIeCJWevCI
40) New Radicals-Mother We Just Can't Get Enough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lbf7inJoec

Interesting note: I totally didn't plan it this way, but both my picks are present this round, one per bracket.

Have fun!
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Re: Unacclaimed 2.0 Group Stage: Week 3

Post by whuntva »

Madonna Group
34) Temper Trap-Fader

My least favorite group in the game. Fader won easily, but not just because it was my pick.

Tantra might have won if it were the single version, but at 16 minutes, it got monotonous fairly quickly.

Eddie Kendricks laid it on too thick and Mayer's voice annoyed me.

Thom Yorke Group

I reiterate: Without "Exile Vilify", there would have been no Unacclaimed 2.0. At least, I would not have run it. Even though a few songs in the tourney as a whole may beat it, this is still my pick for now.

"Anna Sun" was right up my alley, and could have easily won the group if any other song were here.

There were no bad songs in the Yorke Group. New Radicals and Neil Young were great in their own right, just not quite as good as teh Top Two.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

34) Temper Trap-Fader

Thom Yorke Group
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

Madonna Group
34) Temper Trap-Fader

Thom Yorke Group
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

MADONNA GROUP

34) Temper Trap-Fader
Temper Trap wins by default ... Hills of Katmandu goes on far too long, and the only thing I like less than soul is blue-eyed soul (not strictly true.. there are lots of things I like less than blue-eyed soul)

THOM YORKE GROUP

How "Anna Sun" never became the hit of summer 2010 (when it was released as an indie) or 2012 (re-released by RCA) I don't know. All four of these songs would top the other group.
Last edited by DocBrown on Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Ciccone Group
2. Eddie Kendricks - Eddie's Love
4. Tantra - Hills of Katmandu
5. Mayer Hawthorne - A Long Time
7. Temper Trap - Fader

Yorke Group
1. The National - Exile (Vilify)
3. Neil Young - Transformer Man
6. New Radicals - Mother We Just Can't Get Enough
8. Walk the Moon - Anna Sun
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

MADONNA GROUP
34) Temper Trap-Fader
The winner is easy choice but the second place can be another of the three left.

THOM YORKE GROUP
I'm surprised to put this song on first but after all, it's not so bad.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Breaking the tradition of my preference for the artist matching the preference for the group, Thom Yorke has the best group so far!

Madonna Group
1) Eddie Kendricks - Eddie's Love
2) The Temper Trap - Fader
3) Tantra - Hills of Katmandu
4) Mayer Hawthorne - A Long Time

Thom Yorke Group
1) New Radicals - Mother We Just Can't Get Enough
2) The National - Exile Vilify
3) Walk the Moon - Anna Sun
4) Neil Young - Transformer Man
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

MADONNA GROUP
Tantra-Hills of Katmandu
Mayer Hawthorne-A Long Time
Temper Trap-Fader
Eddie Kendricks-Eddie's Love

“Hills of Katmandu” is a uniquely great song and I’m not at all bothered by its length. (I rarely am when I really like a song.) In fact, if I remember the nominees correctly, there’s a song coming up that’s over twice as long that I love even more. Both I discovered a while back while exploring the individual all-time favorite song lists. The other three are varying levels of good to my ears.

THOM YORKE GROUP
The National-Exile (Vilify)
Neil Young-Transformer Man
New Radicals-Mother We Just Can't Get Enough
Walk the Moon-Anna Sun

A solid song by the always dependable The National gets the edge over the charmingly odd “Transformer Man.” Modern alternative music is hit-and-miss for me, and I’ve always thought the other two in this group to only be okay (though New Radicals really picks up steam throughout).
slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

Madonna Group
34) Temper Trap-Fader

Thom Yorke Group
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

My vote this week is dedicated to Moonbeam.

Madonna Group
1. Tantra - Hills of Katmandu
2. Eddie Kendricks - Eddie's Love
4. Mayer Hawthorne - A Long Time
6. Temper Trap - Fader

Great group! I liked all of them, but the groove of "Hills of Katmandu" can't be beaten.

Yorke Group
3. Neil Young - Transformer Man
5. The National - Exile (Vilify)
7. Walk the Moon - Anna Sun
8. New Radicals - Mother We Just Can't Get Enough

"Transformer Man" sounds like a joke, but if you've heard Neil's unplugged version you know there's a great song underneath.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

Madonna's Menage
34) Temper Trap-Fader
This is an insanely close bracket overall, so I don't feel at all guilty about putting the lesser of my two nominations in the first place slot, since it desperately needs some points :mrgreen:
After that, Tantra starts off strong, but after a while it becomes elevator-music-ey, not monotonous or dull by any means, but it slips to the back of my mind and stays there while still maintaining a certain level of quality. Both Temper Trap and Mr. Kendricks present solid, if a little unmemorable songs, Eddie gets the edge for coming off as a little less run of the mill.

Team Thom
Well what a surprise, another set of tough choices... This bracket is nowhere near as close as the one listed above, since the first and last slots are firmly established to an extent ("Exile (Vilify)" is dark and gorgeous, a little more so than the National usually are, while "Transformer Man" doesn't make it far past the novelty factor for me), leaving the middle two as the only ones in contention. I'lll give it to the New Radicals in this case, but it truly could've gone either way.

Overall I would say Thom's bracket might be the strongest yet, although Satie doesn't have to worry about ceasing to be my favorite any time soon :D
Michel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Michel »

Madonna Group
34) Temper Trap-Fader

Thom Yorke Group
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

MADONNA GROUP
34) Temper Trap-Fader

Love "Hills of Katmandu", very much enjoyed the Eddie Kendricks.

THOM YORKE GROUP

Really did not like this group, Neil dressing up as Kraftwerk wins almost by default, though the National gave him a run. I really don't like The National, but "Exile" is probably my favorite individual track of theirs. The others do nothing for me, and the love of New Radicals has always baffled me.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

MADONNA GROUP
34) Temper Trap-Fader
"Eddie's Love" stands out from this group.

THOM YORKE GROUP
First 3 songs superior to Madonna Group, the last the worst song of the week. "Anna Sun" is right up my alley too and came within a whisker of stealing the no 1 spot.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

MADONNA GROUP
34) Temper Trap-Fader

"Hills Of Katmandu" is the only song this week that holds any interest for me outside the confines of the game. Great track!

THOM YORKE GROUP

"Transformer Man" wins for me because it is the most interesting. I like The National well enough, but think their praise in these forums is a bit overblown. (Again though, I've come to realize I'm rarely in league with the rest of the gang here - "It's not you, it's me!..." yeah, I give up). It only takes second by default over the last two.

Thanks!
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

First of all, let's look at my average song rating by week:

Week 1: 6.50
Week 2: 5.81
Week 3: 7.31

My favorite week so far! On to the brackets:

Tantra - Hills of Katmandu: 10
Mayer Hawthorne - A Long Time: 8
Temper Trap - Fader: 7.5
Eddie Kendricks - Eddie's Love: 7

Tough group for my beloved Tantra. "A Long Time" was my favorite contender, swervy and sexy enough to get my interest, and the guitars took it over the top. I think I like Temper Trap, and "Fader" was always a nice surprise when it would show up on Aussie radio or TV, though I do prefer "Sweet Disposition". "Eddie's Love" was smooth as silk and enjoyable in its own right, and I suspect it may become a grower.

Now let me talk about my nomination, "The Hills of Katmandu". It is often cast aside as something of a novelty, but disco was a very important genre. I view it as the realization of the hippy movement - presenting a sound, style and ethos that celebrated differences in gender, race, and sexuality. EVERYONE was welcome to the party, and what a party it was! It served as an escape from the harsh realities of a world holding onto traditional archetypes of societal roles. I think "The Hills of Katmandu" is the best disco song ever made, not just for how it sounds, but for how it takes that disco ethos and extends it further to embrace global harmony. While "The Hills of Katmandu" features prominent middle Eastern sounds, other songs in their discography comprising only 10 songs add African, East Asian and South American flavors. I mean, just look at the group! Does it get more all-encompassing than this?

As for the song itself, it should come as no surprise that I would hold in high esteem a song with such strong roots in funk and electronic music. While some have said that it goes on too long, I think the song commands such length! The song grows and evolves into a real behemoth - starting with delicious funk bass licks and manic minor key synths, adding funk guitars, wordless background vocals, then bongos and maracas, then a furious electric guitar crunch straight out of prog, then an eerie chant, then extra percussion, then unearthing that AMAZING exotic synth run twice before the opening invitation to fly to the misty hills of Katmandu with a return of the guitar crunch, then the amazing synth run again, then adding woodwinds for extra enchantment, then piling on more synth flourishes, then adding extra mystery with even eerier chanting, then throwing in lasering synths, then making a call for escape ("packed my case, gonna leave behind this human race... come with me, where your spirit and your mind are free"), all in 6 minutes. For those seeking out the disco for escape, this is one HELL of a voyage, growing richer and more mystical by the minute. Then - THEN! - it erupts into that deliciously SWEET major key section of pure bliss - the jubilation promised by said invitations, throwing in strings, snazzy horns and whimsical woodwinds to complement the singer's ecstatic vocal celebrations of breezes, trees, streams, sunsets, and endless dreams. Such sweet happiness is soon overtaken by that manic minor key opening segment more frenzied then ever, with the synths now booming up to "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" level and an additional phlanging synth swoops in baring razor sharp teeth! This very sound embodies my taste probably better than anything else, before it once again swerves into the succulent sweet reprise, ushered out by the phlanging synth as a sort of marriage between the two segments.

It is times like this when I wonder whether “The Hills of Katmandu” might even be my very favorite song. I get that Giorgio Moroder is the God of italo disco, and Donna Summer is amazing, and their collaborations are nothing short of brilliant (shout out to "Our Love" and "Working the Midnight Shift"), but I can’t help but feel that “I Feel Love” doesn’t measure up to the audacious brilliance of “The Hills of Katmandu”. Then again, my favorite Donna Summer song is "Woman", so what do I know? :P

The National - Exile (Vilify): 8
Walk the Moon - Anna Sun: 7
Neil Young - Transformer Man: 7
New Radicals - Mother We Just Can't Get Enough: 4

Another mostly strong group, with “Exile (Vilify)” leading the way, becoming one of my favorite songs by The National – truly lovely! I enjoy the sound of “Anna Sun” quite a bit, but it is knocked by somewhat by the verses sounding too much like “Mr. Brightside” for my liking. Neil Young is a strange one for me – I’ve heard 2 of his most acclaimed albums and disliked as much of the songs as I have liked, but “Transformer Man” sees him ape a genre I quite enjoy, so it works in his favor. I just don’t like New Radicals at all, though “Mother We Just Can’t Get Enough” is less unpleasant than “You Get What You Give”. The ingredients are there for a nice song, but the singer’s voice annoys me to no end, and the random “Whoa! Hey!” chants that permeate the track do it no favors, nor does the annoying reggae section.
Last edited by Moonbeam on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Henrik wrote:My vote this week is dedicated to Moonbeam.
:happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:

Don't forget to consider it when it comes to making your list of favorite songs from 1979! :P
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

MADONNA GROUP
34) Temper Trap-Fader

A fantastic group here. The Temper Trap and Tantra take the lead because they represent some of my favourite approaches to music, but Eddie and Mayer could deserve to win too. I'm surprised by how people find the Tantra tune overlong - it's disco, men! We're supposed to dance to that stuff, and the longer, the better. Next year, if I participate, I'll just throw in some Cerrone.

THOM YORKE GROUP

What a strange group. I just don't get Neil Young's song, it's not that bad, but it feels exactly like what it is, that is, Young trying a genre he doesn't master at all. For the rest, it happens that although I loved Portal 2 while I was playing it, I felt extremely depressed by this game once I had finished it and came back thinking about it. Therefore, the two "Shiny Happy People" songs coming behind the National raked up all the points. No offense to the National, the song is great, but I just don't want to be feeling like putting a gun on my temple this evening.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

MADONNA:
1. Hills Of Katmandu
2. A Long Time
3. Eddie's Love
4. Fader

YORKE:
1. Anna Sun
2. Mother We Just Can't Get Enough
3. Transformer Man
4. Exile (Vilify)
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

If Bracketology had the worst week up til now, Unacclaimed has the best. Save Eddie Kendricks everything stood out to me and Kendricks wasn't bad either.

MADONNA GROUP
2. Tantra - Hills of Katmandu
7. Temper Trap - Fader
8. Eddie Kendricks - Eddie's Love

Although Tantra easily conquered this group, this is hardly a bad selection. Tantra captured me immediately. Disco at it's best. The length was no problem at all. The two songs under it are growers too.

THOM YORKE GROUP
1. Neil Young -Transformer Man
3. The National -Exile (Vilify)
4. New Radicals - Mother We Just Can't Get Enough
5. Walk the Moon - Anna Sun

I've always ignored Trans as it was one of Young's least acclaimed album in a genre I couldn't picture him in. If Transformer Man is an indication I might have been wrong, because it's a suprisingly good result. The National could also have won this group, but they aren't as suprising as Young, though The National at it's best is still amazing. Still it was hard to put the great pop of the New Radicals and Walk the Moon behind them. Great uplifting music.
McJagger
Strange Fruit

Post by McJagger »

Madonna:
1) Tantra - Hills of Katmandu
2) Eddie Kendricks - Eddie's Love
3) Temper Trap - Fader
4) Mayer Hawthorne - A Long Time

I'm so glad that people started to warm up to Tantra's song towards the end of the week; I thought I would be the only one with it at the top. I think European disco was doing really weird and innovative stuff then. The other songs are nothing special, with "Eddie's Love" being the grooviest of the bunch.

Thom Yorke:
1) The National - Exile (Vilify)
2) Neil Young - Transformer Man
3) New Radicals - Mother We Just Can't Get Enough
4) Walk the Moon - Anna Sun

I am not the biggest National fan (they have found a successful formula that they don't know how to get out of), but they blew away the competition. Neil Young's '80s period is rightly forgotten and the other ones are fairly generic, in my opinion.
Chilton
Different Class

Post by Chilton »

MADONNA GROUP
2. Tantra - Hills of Katmandu
3. Temper Trap - Fader
6. Eddie Kendricks - Eddie's Love

THOM YORKE GROUP
1. The National - Exile (Vilify)
4. Walk the Moon-Anna Sun
7. New Radicals-Mother We Just Can't Get Enough
8. Neil Young - Transformer Man
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

MADONNA GROUP
34) Temper Trap-Fader
"Fader" had the (unfair) advantage of being a song I've known and loved for a long time, so it wins this bracket easily. The other songs were all quite good, though, but probably nothing I will listen to again after this tournament.

THOM YORKE GROUP
NOOO!!!! I wish I had voted earlier this week so I could have realized the YouTube link here is for the radio edit of the New Radicals song. The full album version is over a minute longer and includes a wonderful outro. I'm including the link here in case anyone wants to listen to the song in full. Also, the link I'm sharing is of better quality than the one originally posted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-pho4qy7K4
Anyway, I actually thought this song would be a big hit in this forum. I thought everyone would fall head over heels for it. Oh well... I will take this moment, though, to champion the New Radicals' album Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too for the top 500 albums poll. It's in my personal top 50. Now as far as the rest of the bracket goes, I thought this may have been my favorite of the tournament thus far. "Exile (Vilify)" is one of my favorite tracks by one of my favorite bands, and "Transformer Man" was huge surprise for me. I had only heard bad things about Trans, so I never listened to it, but this song has given me reason to check it out. It sounds like a great Kraftwerk number and doesn't come across to me at all as Neil Young just "aping" electronic music. He actually sounds as though he has mastered the genre. And "Anna Sun" is a good single but it annoys me more often than it excites me, unfortunately.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Poll is closed!

This week was full of surprises. At times close, at times a blowout, making for a very entertaining round!

As always, corret me if I miscounted.

MADONNA GROUP
Tantra-Hills of Katmandu (67, 10)
Eddie Kendricks-Eddie's Love (54, 6)
---
Mayer Hawthorne-A Long Time (50, 1)
Temper Trap-Fader (49, 5)

This group was much closer than the score woud indicate. Each song had a decent showing, and Eddie even led before the weekend by a significant margin. However, Tantra rolled over the weekend, gaining seven first place votes in hree days, catapulting the to the top.

YORKE GROUP
The National-Exile (Vilify) (73,11)
New Radicals-Mother, We just can't get Enough (51, 2)
---
Neil Young-Transformer Man (49, 5)
Walk the Moon-Anna Sun (47, 3)

The song of the week by a large margin, it felt like a triumph (get it?) as the National took the most points and first-place votes this week.

The race for second was decided only in the waning hours of the poll. For a time, it looked like "Transformer Man" was the rightful winner. Then, "Anna Sun" took a surge with two first-place votes in a row. Finally, the very last vote gave New Radials the four points it needed to take control of the poll.

Great Week! Next week will be even better. Groupings up shortly.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”