Pitchfork's Best Music of the Decade so Far

Nick
Running Up That Hill

Pitchfork's Best Music of the Decade so Far

Post by Nick »

Next week everyone's favorite music site to hate to love and love to hate, Pitchfork, will be doing their top songs and albums of the decade so far. I guess they're a little pessimistic about the remaining four months of the decade.

That being said, anyone wanna predict their lists?

m.pitchfork.com/news/56321-announcing-the-best-music-of-the-decade-so-far/
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Re: Pitchfork's Best Music of the Decade so Far

Post by BleuPanda »

I want to do a poll for the first half of the decade on here once the year finishes. This might be a bit too early, though...
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Ah, good ol' Pitchfork. Well, knowing them... well, you can't really know what they'll pick lol! They could pick usual suspects, the big, expected titles, or they could be as contrarian as possible.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

BleuPanda wrote:I want to do a poll for the first half of the decade on here once the year finishes. This might be a bit too early, though...
I don't think that's too early at all! If I recall correctly, we did our 2000's poll in January 2010.
McJagger
Strange Fruit

Post by McJagger »

In a surprise move, they will name "Kid A" the best album of the first half of the 2010s.

But seriously, here's my prediction for their top 10:

1) Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
2) Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. city
3) LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
4) Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
5) Bon Iver - Bon Iver
6) Kanye West - Yeezus
7) Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me
8) Swans - To Be Kind
9) Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
10) Caribou - Swim
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

Albums
1. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (I'd say this is 100% guaranteed)
2. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
3. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. city
4. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
5. Destroyer - Kaputt
6. Beach House - Teen Dream
7. Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE
8. Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
9. Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver
10. The National - High Violet (I hope they right the ship on this one, as it was only 28th on their year-end poll)

I don't expect anything from 2014 to crack the top ten.

Songs
1. Frank Ocean - Pyramids (god, I hope so)
2. Kanye West - Runaway
3. M83 - Midnight City
4. Grimes - Oblivion
5. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Round and Round
6. Arcade Fire - Reflektor
7. Kendrick Lamar - Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe
8. Drake - Hold On, We're Going Home
9. Robyn - Dancing on My Own
10. Kanye West - New Slaves

These lists would fall under "predictable," but, y'know, that's all I got.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Well, everybody and their uncle knows MBDTF will be the top album. I wonder if both (or neither) Arcade Fire album will crack the top ten though.
I'd also like to see "Midnight City" be the top song, but common sense suggests it will be "Get Lucky".
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

I personally think they're doing it way too early. A decade ago, they did their 2000-2004 in early 2005. It was posted in February '05. That way, they were able to take the entire 2004 into account. Why they would shortchange the last few months of 2014 is beyond my comprehension. There are some big names that may be releasing albums later this year, such as Kanye, Flying Lotus, Kendrick and possibly Frank Ocean, just to name a few. Why not just do things the same way as last decade?
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Maybe they're trying to get theirs in before anyone else releases one. To "set the tone." But I agree with you that they need to wait until 2010-2014 is actually over. It makes the list a little less credible in my eyes.
McJagger
Strange Fruit

Post by McJagger »

I recall them doing the same thing for their 2000s list.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

McJagger wrote:I recall them doing the same thing for their 2000s list.
Their 2000-2009 list was posted in October '09, which, true, was earlier than they should've done it, but still not as bad as this case.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Here's what I've got in terms of predictions-

Albums-

1. MBDTF
2. Good Kid, MAAD City
3. Modern Vampires of the City
4. Channel Orange
5. Bon Iver, Bon Iver
6. This Is Happening
7. Lonerism
8. Teen Dream
9. Yeezus
10. The Suburbs

The top 10 songs are harder to call, but here's my shot-

1. Runaway
2. Midnight City
3. Oblivion
4. Dancing On My Own
5. Pyramids
6. Hold On, We're Going Home
7. Round and Round
8. Holocene
9. Tightrope
10. New Slaves
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

The songs list is up. There are PLENTY of surprises.
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Apparently, Pitchwork and i don't live in the same world.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Romain wrote:Apparently, Pitchwork and i don't live in the same world.
Certainly it's preposterous given her competition, but seeing Grimes at number one still made me smile. I just love her album!
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Ugh, wish they hadn't included the chunky 'rotating' video at the top, or the giant ads in the middle. As for the singles, nice to see LCD, Beach House and Tame Impala with songs in the top twenty, though I wonder if the complete lack of PJ Harvey from the entire list is an omnious sign regarding her album.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

I posted the all songs list on the Critics lists part of the forum.
Romain wrote:Apparently, Pitchwork and i don't live in the same world.
Their Pitchfork 500 (songs from 77 to 2006) and their top 200 songs of the 00s are among my very very very favorite lists of all time.
I'm slightly less enthusiastic about this one, but I still like it... I'll put more comments on the Critics Lists part of the forum since the list is now there ;)
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

I agree, the two list you talking are good.

But, for this one, it's like we live in two different islands with no communication between us.

Top 200-160 : 7 songs listenable for me. Songs I like : 3. I'm not into their mood :mrgreen:

(Stupid question but where is the sound volume button in Soundcloud ?)
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Back in 2013 I wondered why Miley Cyrus wasn't featured on the best songs/albums lists because both We Can't Stop and Bangerz figured higher and appeared more often inside ballots than some of the tracks and records that made the final cut. If anything, there seems to be a limit for mainstream radio songs inside yearly lists, since most of them only appear inside decade lists, such as Katy Perry's Teenage Dream figuring inside the top 40 on this one. By now, Pitchfork is part of the mainstream, not the Billboard one, but a strong alternative, since I could show this list to plenty my age and there would be many recognizable names. Pitchfork have built their own sort of cult where people expect anxiously to see if a record they enjoyed will receive a Best New Music tag, if they will pan it or award a 9; Pitchfork even managed to have its own mid-decade AM thread whereas other websites would simply have their list posted somewhere else. I found it a rather useless list, mixing your usual suspects with some mainstream songs that would surprise only those who still think Pitchfork would pan Liz Phair's self-titled solely on the basis of indie credibility these days. There are plenty of acts that made this decade more exciting out of this list, whilst many are overrepresented. As Fiona Apple once said, people really should go with themselves.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I will say for Pitchfork, it and Popmatters are the only two critical sources I pay a lot of individual attention to. Pitchfork catches all the albums that are going to be big indie sensations, and Popmatters catches the genre gems like Somi and Anais Mitchell.

Other than that I look at you guys' lists and I look at the aggregate lists.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Having never heard of Pitchfork before coming to this forum, I'm still getting accustomed to its overall critical "policy", but I'm not surprised by most choices, perphaps the order at most. The number one was so predictable it's almost disappointing (not that it doesn't deserve its placement, of course).

I like many albums on this list, among the ones I've listened to, but I'm still disappointed they didn't give a spot to David Bowie.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Pierre wrote: Having never heard of Pitchfork before coming to this forum, I'm still getting accustomed to its overall critical "policy",... .
Same here. I think it's a genre of "Les Inrock'" no?

I'm curious... are these albums and songs (in the top 100 and 200) mainstream in the USA? If yes, that explains a lot of things for the year-end lists and the disconnection I feel each time in recent years.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Romain wrote:
Pierre wrote: Having never heard of Pitchfork before coming to this forum, I'm still getting accustomed to its overall critical "policy",... .

I'm curious... are these albums and songs (in the top 100 and 200) mainstream in the USA? If yes, that explains a lot of things for the year-end lists and the disconnection I feel each time in recent years.
Pitchfork is very Inrocks-ish yes, but their influence is bigger in the USA than Les Inrocks' here in France.

Even though I do believe Beyoncé and Kanye West to be very mainstream in the USA, Romain, I think your disconnection also comes from the disconnection between French critics and American ones. There, synthpop, hip-hop, trip-hop, old school house, modern r'n'b, post-rock and indie music have received much more acclaim and have been far more influential than they did in France, where IMO rock music is mostly stuck in a loop, with most recent acclaimed acts, may they be BB Brunes, Plastiscines or Archimède, being mostly back-to-basics garage bands, except for Phoenix who are one of the only really innovative French bands of the last decade-and-a-half (with M83 but they are not completely "rock"). We do also lack a pool of talented modern r'n'b singers with most of the ones we've had since K-Reen imported the genre in the mid-90's being quite dull. Hip-hop also faded in quality after the end of the 90s here, and indie music from the USA has had a hard time coming to France. I understand the disconnection, but as the culture I built for myself is more American than French in the first place, I do feel more in-tune with what I see in Pitchfork's lists than you.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Romain wrote:
Kind of... but not really !

Biggest differences in my opinion :
-Les Inrocks love EVERYTHING that is not pop, they give rave reviews to pretty much any album coming out, except for some easy targets it's cool to shoot, say Muse or Coldplay, even to the point where it sometimes seem they write reviews without listening to the album beforehand (really, the comments on the last Muse album were so generic and not adapted to this specific album that I think it was the case). That's really annoying, they sometimes big rave reviews to stuff everybody else hated, and often were right to do so. They are also VERY predictable in the way they will be going crazy about the big hyped band of the year, see their high rankings in EOY lists of Oracular Spectacular, several Gossip albums, Klaxons, Alt-J, Django Django or the way they never stopped raving about Pete Doherty, probably the Inrocks hero of the 00s.
- Les Inrocks SUCK at hip-hop, you might not notice since you don't like the genre but really, the hip-hop albums they pick in their EOY lists are often far from being the best of the year... the 2013 list was appalling in this regard.
- Pitchfork doesn't deal much with world music (though they do) or jazz. Les Inrocks tend to separate them from the rest, but still talk about them (in the magazine, not on the website)
- Pitchfork is much more open to pop, Les Inrocks would at best call a Katy Perry or Miley Cyrus song "guilty pleasure" and most likely bash them. The few exceptions are the really globally acclaimed pop stars like Beyonce or Justin Timberlake.
- Pitchfork gets a broader scope : metal, ambient and some other genres Les Inrocks never talks about are included. There are genres they both ignores though...
- Les inrocks have basically no editorial line on their music pages. They can acclaim an album and 2 years later in the review of the next album by the same band say "after the very disappointing album 2 years ago", they can write in a review "arguably the best album of the year" and not put it in their top 100 EOY. This can happen to any music source, taste changes and some music ages better than other, but with them it happens very often and very fast.
The only kind of coherence is that they will stubbornly continue to support a band who is no longer that great, like MGMT, the Strokes or Bloc Party.

I don't like Les Inrocks much for music, the way they find everything wonderful and have no coherence between writers. It's not a question of taste though, because as much as I regularly disagree with them, I like their movie critics where they dare say that something is bad and much less often contradict themselves.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I still haven't been able to listen to the Beyonce album because of the label's stubborn refusal to let me sample it before I decide whether or not it's good enough to pay for.

For a Pitchfork lists I expected more risks and left field inclusions. Pretty much all the ones toward the top are the same ones we've been exhaustively talking about for the last five years.

I get the impression that Pitchfork (Unlike Popmatters) doesn't let their critics give an album a really high rating unless the staff generally agrees it is 'On a list of the best'. That's why Popmatters will often give 9's to blues, folk or americana albums and anything that appears in Pitchfork's Best New Music is 'On the list' of things being widely raved about.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I'm surprised that To Be Kind is so low. My fav album of the year so far and Pitchfork gave it a high score too.
I feel like that
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

I'm not too hung-up about 2014 album placements. While only Benji made the top twenty out this year's crop (and with Lost in the Dream nearly making it too), given more time for them to settle and make their mark, I'm sure they'll rise up future lists of a similar nature. It's all a bit silly anyway, given that we've still got over four months with plenty of new music to come.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

I said this before and I'll say it again, I'm sad that they didn't give the chance for more 2014 albums to make the list. Several great acts are releasing albums later this year. I'm happy with the 2014 albums that DID make it so far.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

irreduciblekoan wrote:I said this before and I'll say it again, I'm sad that they didn't give the chance for more 2014 albums to make the list. Several great acts are releasing albums later this year. I'm happy with the 2014 albums that DID make it so far.
Yeah, I find it incredibly foolish for Pitchfork to have released this list so early. What if their year end number one hasn't even been released yet? That would be awkward to see it missing from their 2010-2014 list!
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Yeah, Kendrick, Kanye and/or Ocean could release another classic, and now they will be instantly behind on the all-time/decade front. Last decade, they did the 2000-2004 in February 2005. Much more logical that way.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Everyone's reaction to MBDTF being #1:

irreduciblekoan
Different Class

lol. That would have been my reaction if it DIDN'T get #1 (very much deserved by the way). I'm slightly dismayed that Channel Orange didn't get #2 though. I agree with the AM rankings that those two are the very best of the decade so far. But that's not a big deal, it will still be helped by the list regardless.
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

R.I.P. Pitchfork
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

How on earth was that list constructed?
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Listyguy wrote:Everyone's reaction to MBDTF being #1:

I'm not sure about that. To me it seems on the contrary that everyone expected it to BE #1, or did I misunderstand something?

Besides that, it seems to me that Pitchfork lists were rather well-received until now on this forum, but this time reception seems more mixed. I'm not sure why it is, because I'm unfamiliar with Pitchfork, but is it because people find the list more predictable than usual or something? I'm always interested in the way people react to high-profile lists.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Pierre wrote:I'm not sure about that. To me it seems on the contrary that everyone expected it to BE #1, or did I misunderstand something?
It's like sarcastic. Online people like to do those kind of things where it's a "level". This was okay, but I'm already getting tired of like Cracked with its "really funny" pictures and picture text and everything being awesome etc. That's why I like this forum, everyone's straight up and we actually have intelligent conversations.
I feel like that
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

PlasticRam wrote:
Pierre wrote:I'm not sure about that. To me it seems on the contrary that everyone expected it to BE #1, or did I misunderstand something?
It's like sarcastic. Online people like to do those kind of things where it's a "level". This was okay, but I'm already getting tired of like Cracked with its "really funny" pictures and picture text and everything being awesome etc. That's why I like this forum, everyone's straight up and we actually have intelligent conversations.
So I missed the point, OK. Thanks for clarifying!
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Just one question, is this list will count in Acclaimed Music like a decade list for example? I hope not personally, not because I don't like this list but it seem strange to account this kind of 4 years lists. What happens if a magazine make such lists every two years? In the end of the decade, an album could already appear in five lists by the same revue.

If yes, we have to rely midyear songs and albums lists in year-end lists isnt'it?!

This seems complicated.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

The BeatsPerMinute list of "the best albums of the past 5 years" is included in AM so this one will surely will. It was actually worse since it started at the creation of the website until its fifth anniversary, so both 2008 and 2013 were only partly included. Even themselves were confused, some critics thinking they could not vote for Microcastle/Weird Era Cont because Microcastle was released before the creation of the site while other did vote for it since the full double LP has been released later... (and implying that it would probably have been top 3 otherwise).

I don't know how Henrik managed that some years were incomplete (I actually don't think he did). It is a bit unfair but I guess on the overall amount of lists included the impact is not that big.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I will include this list, but it (and Pitchfork's EOY lists from 2010-2014) will get a somewhat lower weight, because the time is short between their EOY lists and this list.

For each list I need to decide what songs were eligible. For a lot of lists I make a simple cut between two years. For example a list that came out sometime during 2012 I only consider songs up to 2011 eligible, especially if nothing from 2012 was included in the list. However, in the case of this list, where there are so many albums and songs included from each year, I will ask someone to go through the 2014 albums and songs (after the EOY lists, when I have decided what albums and songs that will be included on AM), and decide what came out before Pitchfork's list, so I can blank the rest.

Hopefully at least someone will understand what I am talking about...
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Henrik wrote:I will include this list, but it (and Pitchfork's EOY lists from 2010-2014) will get a somewhat lower weight, because the time is short between their EOY lists and this list.
OK Henrik, it's a good solution.

So what for the midterm year lists like this one for example?
http://www.mowno.com/articles/playlists ... de-demain/
or this one
http://www.stereogum.com/1686236/the-50 ... 14-so-far/

I don't know if there are many?
Last edited by Romain on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McJagger
Strange Fruit

Post by McJagger »

Yes, Henrik, that makes a lot of sense. I believe it is the only fair solution for the albums that will be coming out in the next four months.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Romain wrote:
Henrik wrote:I will include this list, but it (and Pitchfork's EOY lists from 2010-2014) will get a somewhat lower weight, because the time is short between their EOY lists and this list.
OK Henrik. So what for the midterm year lists like this one for example?
http://www.mowno.com/articles/playlists ... de-demain/
or this one
http://www.stereogum.com/1686236/the-50 ... 14-so-far/

I don't know if there are many?
Oh, no midterm year lists. I have enough work to do without them. I think I will continue with one update per year, with no updates during the second half of the year, which means that the midterm lists wouldn't even add anything new.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

My 2 cents on a few releases... Man there are some cheesy-ass synthesizers being used today (and I grew up on the '80s). The Grimes song is cool. I find Kanye West impressive musically, but overall as a personality I don't really find him irresistible on all the many layers that Pitchfork goes through. I prefer his first two albums over MBDTF.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”