Running Up That Hill

New Poll

Post by Hymie »

How about a poll of our favorite Bing Crosby songs in Bruce's memory :mrgreen:
McJagger
Strange Fruit

Re: New Poll

Post by McJagger »

This is my choice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiXjbI3kRus. This song, of course, is slightly less perfect than all of his other songs due to David Bowie's involvement. Bowie will never be able to (objectively) equal Bing's greatness as measured in record sales, influence, physical attractiveness, and body odor.
Last edited by McJagger on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Listening to anything past Sousa is a real chore for me, so I may not be able to participate. In fact I think music really fell off after Edison's "Mary Had a Little Lamb. "
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Wow, you guys are so ignorant. You don't know anything about the music that came before you... or after... or at any point in time. Here's a brief history of music from this enlightened fellow who knows way more than any of you 16-60 year olds.

Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Alright guys, I know we are all having fun (hilarious comments BTW), but I just hope Bruce's damn bad attitude and obsession with smashing older pre-60s artists on our skulls will turn us all off from this music either, so much of which is great. I'm not talking about, say, Bing per se (who I honestly have never cared for to begin with), but, you know, all-time greats like Armstrong or Hank Williams or Little Richard.

Basically, let's be the opposite of Bruce in terms of attitude and broader musical tastes, not the "anti-everything Bruce likes forum just because Bruce liked it".

Perhaps I am simply overreacting, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

Still, thank god that Henrik finally banned him! I have been waiting for this day for a long time...
McJagger
Strange Fruit

Post by McJagger »

I agree. Critics generally DO place too much emphasis on the LP as the standard medium of musical expression. This short shrifts artists from before the LP era and artists in genres that deemphasize the long player.

That being said, I believe music has gone downhill since the invention of the piano. You guys can't appreciate the virtuosity necessary to play the harpsichord and instead gravitate to disposable gutter music like Beethoven's Ninth.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

I wasn't aware that Bruce had been banned. I think that given the general maturity of the other folks in this forum we could deal more effectively with Bruce by not taking the bait when he attempts to taunt us.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”