Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards

Post by Jirin »

This is the right decision. I've ruined some D&D groups I used to DM by waiting too long to throw people out.

This is not a first offense situation. Several members of the forum have gone out of their way to try to explain to Bruce that we didn't hate him for expressing his opinion, but for how he expresses it. Even solicited his opinion on older music. He continued to ignore those kinds of posts and keep on with the same provocative language.

I hope I'm not crossing any lines when I complain about the popularity of Kanye West.
audioclectic
Are You Experienced?

Post by audioclectic »

My original effort to respond to this timed out. In the interim, Bruce was apparently banned. Oh well. He should know better. I don't.

The orignial thread that lead to this discussion is a pointless and even stupid exercise. You folks need to get a life.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

audioclectic wrote:The orignial thread that lead to this discussion is a pointless and even stupid exercise. You folks need to get a life.
lol wut?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I also love how this guy appeared just a couple weeks ago, has run to the defense of Bruce a few times, and also happens to be around the same age. I guess people just turn into jerks once they reach 56 or something.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

BleuPanda wrote:I also love how this guy appeared just a couple weeks ago, has run to the defense of Bruce a few times, and also happens to be around the same age. I guess people just turn into jerks once they reach 56 or something.
You are aware that we have a few other forumers that are in their 50s, right? Like Henry and DocBrown. That said, this guy is mighty suspicious to me.
audioclectic
Are You Experienced?

Post by audioclectic »

Not really. I was the same a**hole at 17. Just dealing in truths. I live in California. Don't know Bruce. Don't want to know Bruce. You peeps are myopic.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

audioclectic wrote:Not really. I was the same a**hole at 17. Just dealing in truths. I live in California. Don't know Bruce. Don't want to know Bruce. You peeps are myopic.
You know, I have always felt that the people who call others myopic are often themselves quite myopic ;)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I have never felt anything about people who call others myopic because I've never seen anyone call others myopic before.
audioclectic
Are You Experienced?

Post by audioclectic »

Okay. You have to at least smile about this. Just after my last post I spilled a Guinness all over my office floor. It will need a carpet cleaning. Poetic justice?

I'm not Bruce. I agree with some of his opinions, but like most of you think his delivery in most of his moments is poor.

I have my own opinions. Irrespective of anyone else, my ear is my guide. I stopped listening to new music a long time ago. When I started again, I wasn't impressed or entertained.

This website offers me some interesting diversions and philosophical jump-off points. I apologize for the use of myopic in slandering those of you who took it as an affront.

I'll refrain from posting here now, but wish you well, each and every one.
Last edited by audioclectic on Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

BleuPanda wrote:I guess people just turn into jerks once they reach 56 or something.
JimmyJazz wrote:You are aware that we have a few other forumers that are in their 50s, right? Like Henry and DocBrown. That said, this guy is mighty suspicious to me.
Well Henry's immune, 'cause he's a lawyer (double-negative) and I still have a few months to go... but I feel a change coming on...
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

DocBrown wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:I guess people just turn into jerks once they reach 56 or something.
JimmyJazz wrote:You are aware that we have a few other forumers that are in their 50s, right? Like Henry and DocBrown. That said, this guy is mighty suspicious to me.
Well Henry's immune, 'cause he's a lawyer (double-negative) and I still have a few months to go... but I feel a change coming on...
I don't know, my step-dad can be a jerk sometimes and he's a lawyer in his 60s. Maybe the correct answer is "or something."
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

BleuPanda wrote:
DocBrown wrote:
I don't know, my step-dad can be a jerk sometimes and he's a lawyer in his 60s. Maybe the correct answer is "or something."
Ageism is not necessary here. I have known many people who are in their 50s and older (family members, family friends, teachers) who are not jerks by any means.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

That's what I meant to imply with the or something bit. But I guess that didn't come through. I'm too stressed to put together a cohesive statement or something.

I apologize for the ageism. That wasn't what I was intending.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Es nada. You're only as old as the music you listen to.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

Jirin wrote:I hope I'm not crossing any lines when I complain about the popularity of Kanye West.
Each and every line imaginable. :angry-nono:

In regards to this Bruce situation, I haven't experienced nearly as much frustration as you guys have throughout his time on the forum, but even in the short time I've been around, I too found him to be nigh insufferable. It's disappointing it ended this way, but to be honest, I don't actually think he cares. He was a troll and was simply enjoying it while it lasted.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

I'm just curious to the title of the thread. The translator don't give me a meaning. Can someone explain ?
Thanks.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

It's the name of a Tom Waits album (Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers, and Bastards). But brawlers mean people who are quick to get into fights, bawlers are people who break down crying, and bastards is a catch-all term for lowlifes (though its original meaning is a kid born out of wedlock).

In the context of the album, which is a three disc rarity collection:
Brawlers are the typical rock songs
Bawlers are the more emotional ballads
Bastards are the experimental works
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

BleuPanda wrote:It's the name of a Tom Waits album (Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers, and Bastards). But brawlers mean people who are quick to get into fights, bawlers are people who break down crying, and bastards is a catch-all term for lowlifes (though its original meaning is a kid born out of wedlock).

In the context of the album, which is a three disc rarity collection:
Brawlers are the typical rock songs
Bawlers are the more emotional ballads
Bastards are the experimental works
Ok, I known the (excellent) Tom Wait's album but I questionning my self if it was an expression in english. Thanks for the answer. I don't know for Brawlers and Bawlers, for bastards, we have the same (Bâtard) in France ;-)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'm not sure if "Brawler" or "Bawler" are even actual words, and if they are, they're not commonly used. "Brawl" and "Bawl" are common enough, but I've only ever seen "Brawler" and "Bawler" in the context of this album. I think it's just one of those cases where it's obvious to native speakers through the context of the origin.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

This had to happen. I hope he'll find another forum to bother or else he will try to sneak in here again. This guy is sick.
He will do anything to draw attention on himself. Thus his constant provocation. He knows what will make people react and he manages to do that without personal offense so he can play the victim when he's banned.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Patti Smith is not intended to love people like Bruce. An example: the record company wanted to make several adjustments, including removing fuzz mustache Smith, but she refused. It is clear that Patti Smith is trying to communicate something else with this cover.

Some ideas for the next list of favorite album covers for Bruce.

This collection is entitled "They are not Patti Smith (and the author is not Robert Mapplethorpe)"

[imgsize 400x400]http://img3.rnkr-static.com/user_node_i ... oto-u1.jpg[/imgsize]

[imgsize 400x400]http://img2.rnkr-static.com/user_node_i ... oto-u1.jpg[/imgsize]

[imgsize 400x400]http://img1.rnkr-static.com/user_node_i ... oto-u2.jpg[/imgsize]

[imgsize 400x400]http://img1.rnkr-static.com/user_node_i ... oto-u2.jpg[/imgsize]

[imgsize 400x400]http://www.stevecarter.com/5_25_10_07_5_17_09.jpg[/imgsize]
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Otisredding something tells me you had that list ready for a long time hahahaha
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

nicolas wrote:Otisredding something tells me you had that list ready for a long time hahahaha
Right. I was hoping that the time was right.

By the way, I have more wonderful covers (I say if there are people who need more stimuli)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

My 59 year old father prefers the music he grew up with too but he doesn't call you stupid when you place newer music on the same level or try to discredit your taste by insisting music can't possibly be great if it didn't sell millions of copies.

The issue with Bruce's complaints about the Patti Smith cover was more that his objection to the cover implied that it is the job of women to always depict themselves in ways that are sexually appealing to men, which has a corollary that the value of women is calculated by male gaze.

Either Bruce sincerely didn't understand why we were getting mad at him, or he just started trolling to punish us for not having the same tastes as him.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

And here I clicked on this thread hoping for a discussion about Tom Waits. Oh well.

As for banning Bruce, I think it was useless. He can easily sneak back, no matter how many times we ban him. I'd rather just let Bruce stay, then at least we know his name and we know to avoid reading whatever "Bruce" posts or to not take it too seriously.

At least otisredding gave me some entertaining :D
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

irreduciblekoan wrote:At least otisredding gave me some entertaining :D
That was my intention. A little humor (and curves) :happy-smileyinthebox:
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Hahaha you guys are awesome.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

PlasticRam wrote:Bruce is not a complete troll. Good points sometimes. It's like ending the life of the cat that pees on the rug sometimes. It's a good cat. This is a true story, my cat does pee in the wrong place every now and then. But I won't have it killed. Pretty terrible comparison, I mean Bruce is a smart guy. And I don't like Bruce as much as my cat. Not trying to be funny, just whatever, idk.

Edit: And yeah, good points Pierre and JimmyJazz.
One positive sidenote to this sad tread I only read just now (and only now realised Bruce was actually banned for good):
Funniest post I've read in a while on this site, seriously.

You expertly bridged the whole affair to a marvelous cat story, both very sad and very funny.
It's nice of you to keep the somewhat troublesome cat. One takes up a responsibility when taking in a cat.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Cats are creatures of instinct, they pee where their instincts instruct them to. Bruce intentionally pushes people's buttons for the declared purpose of disturbing the peace.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Jirin wrote:Image
Hahahahahahahaha this is almost too perfect!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”