IT HAS HAPPENED: Update 2014 Thread

Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

IT HAS HAPPENED: Update 2014 Thread

Post by Listyguy »

I figured the pre-update thread was getting a bit clogged, so here's a shinny new thread for the update.

WARNING: This thread descends into absolute chaos (take a guess why). The first two pages or so are actually about the update. A full explanation of what went wrong (and what is right) can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1911&start=350#p27232
Last edited by Listyguy on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Re: IT HAS HAPPENED: Update 2014 Thread

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

Well, I for one am pleased to see "Smells Like Teen Spirit" rise to number two all time.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I keep refreshing the site, but it still is showing for 2013 albums and songs. Maybe my server is having a problem...? I will check later then.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

JimmyJazz wrote:I keep refreshing the site, but it still is showing for 2013 albums and songs. Maybe my server is having a problem...? I will check later then.
I created an incognito window. See Henrik's post below.

Did Abbey Road rise one spot? Deservedly so in my opinion, my fav album of all time :music-rockon:
Last edited by PlasticRam on Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I feel like that
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

JimmyJazz wrote:I keep refreshing the site, but it still is showing for 2013 albums and songs. Maybe my server is having a problem...? I will check later then.
Click on the albums or songs links in the left panel; the new data is there.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

First observations: Two 10's album break the top 100 (MDBTF and Channel Orange), and Satisfaction falls from 2 to 4.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Hmm... I tried to send a reply just now but it doesn't appear to have gone through.

Anyway, I'm a little disappointed that Yeezus didn't maintain its number one status for 2013 from the album spreadsheet, but I also really loved Daft Punk and Vampire Weekend's albums last year. I expect the competition for best album of 2013 to be fierce come decade's end.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Yes, we have another update. And a rather big one. I hope you will like it.

The update is positive for new releases, both albums and songs. I'm sure you have questions about this and other things. I'm going to bed soon, but I will try to answer your questions tomorrow.

I have started a new error page. Please report errors there.

AS ALWAYS WITH MY UPDATES, YOU NEED TO DELETE YOUR BROWSER HISTORY TO SEE THE NEW PAGES.

Example with Chrome
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

For those still having trouble, the same thing happened last update - you can:
a. Try reloading the individual frames of the website, an option I found in Chrome
b. Clear your cache of cookies for the site, which helped a few people last time
c. Close your browser and re-open
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Kanye West and Arcade Fire in the top 30 artists of all time....wow!!!!
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Wow! Funeral leapfrogged Kid A for the best album of the 2000s.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

And, of course, a huge thank you to Henrik for all the work and love he puts into this website :) It's very fortunate that we've all wandered into this great community together.
digifuwill
Are You Experienced?

Post by digifuwill »

wow. Henrik, you must have dramatically changed your algorithm? I was not expecting this amount of change at all. Huge jumps for albums from the last 15 or so years. Fairly significant falls for acts from the classic rock era.

Still taking it in, but it seems about right. My biggest complaint had been that so many hip-hop classics seemed much too low. This update boosts many of those albums closer to where they belong.

Thanks for all the hard work!
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Thanks, Henrik! Though it screw ups my playlist threads, lol :mrgreen:

Some changes that I notice right away:
The Beach Boys are now a Top 10 artist (The Who is out)
New or returning Top 100 artists: #78 M.I.A, as well as The Strokes, Queen, Pulp, Arctic Monkeys, Blondie, Animal Collective, Kate Bush!, The Stone Roses, My Bloody Valentine (replacing Metallica, Frank Sinatra!, Pavement, Nick Drake, Steely Dan, Funkadelic/Parliament, Brian Eno, Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention, Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band, and #238 Charles Mingus)
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Notable rises in the top 200 from the songs list:
-A Day in the Life (up to #5)
-Gimme Shelter (up to #42 from 115)
-All Along the Watchtower (up to #70 from 128)
-I'm Waiting For the Man (#73 from 168)
-99 Problems (#76 from 124)
-There Is a Light That Never Goes Out (#82 from 120)
-Sweet Child O' Mine (#96 from 104)
-Paranoid Android (#97 from 155)
-Life on Mars (#119 from 319)
-Tangled Up in Blue (#125 from 264)

Both "There is A Light" and "How Soon Is Now" overtook "This Charming Man" as the top Smiths' songs.

As always, a massive thank you to Henrik. I honestly can't imagine the amount of work it takes to make this happen each year.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

I would like to echo the others on this forum with a big THANK YOU HENRIK! This site has in all honestly changed my life as I've been listening through all of these ranked albums and songs over the last year or so. I cannot imagine the hard work you put in to compile all of this for us. I really wish there was some way I could repay you!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

A Day in the Life is in the top 5 :happy-partydance:

Wow, good album artists take a huge leap back and song artists huge leap forward. I like it, and I know at least one other person likes it too! :P

808s has leaped over 400 spots all because of one list prolly. :banana-guitar:
Last edited by PlasticRam on Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I feel like that
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

It's strangely exciting seeing song ranks above 3000 :mrgreen:
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

The four new (or returning) albums to the top 100:
-My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
-Channel Orange
-Illinois
-Surfer Rosa

Those leaving the top 100:
-Dusty in Memphis
-Harvesy
-Physical Graffiti
-Off the Wall

Albums entering the top 200:
-My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
-Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
-The Smiths
-Back to Black
-Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
-Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
-Franz Ferdinand
-Original Pirate Material
-Agætis Byrjun
-Let England Shake

And those leaving the top 200:
-Wish You Were Here ( :( )
-The Suburbs
-The Specials
-Metal Box
-White Light/White Heat
-We're Only In It For the Money
-Rage Against the Machine
-Raising Hell
-Blood Sugar Sex Magik
-Zen Arcade
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

Welcome back to the Top 10 Ronettes :music-listening:
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna be sleeping tonight... too big of an update to get through. In fact, I think I'm gonna cancel everything I had planned tomorrow.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

I'm devastated to see Wilco fall so hard...truly one of the best bands of their generation. :|
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

The End has been added to the Beatles medley! Now it's perfect, with the three songs. I'm running out of happy smilies :D
I feel like that
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

I am super psyched to see LCD Soundsystem's This Is Happening enter the top 500. I feel very strongly that it is their best work.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Jonathon wrote:I'm devastated to see Wilco fall so hard...truly one of the best bands of their generation. :|
This is just about the only thing that I'm sad about when it comes to the new update. Everything else looks great though.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

The worldwide Holiday for music fans has arrived! I'm tempted to call in sick to work tomorrow...

I'd already heard the Top 3000 songs in the past update. I'm going to spend the next year going through the Top 6000, beginning at the bottom and working my way up. (Even as I continue to work my way through the Top 3000 albums, top to bottom.)

As everyone else has said, Henrik: Thank you!!!! This is the most amazing site on the internet, and no words could ever express my gratitude for everything its brought to my life as an avid music lover. I look forward to many days, weeks and years exploring these lists, as well as the wonderful recommendations of the forum regulars!
Schwah
Strange Fruit

Post by Schwah »

Congratulations, Henrik, from an old poster who still values this site tremendously. What an achievement this site is!
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Nick wrote:
Jonathon wrote:I'm devastated to see Wilco fall so hard...truly one of the best bands of their generation. :|
This is just about the only thing that I'm sad about when it comes to the new update. Everything else looks great though.
I also mourn the crashing of Husker Du, Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa. I know I'm itching for a fight by saying this, but to me, the album has always been the true measure of an artist. Though maybe the reweighing is appropriate given we are in an iPod generation now, where music is listened to in bits and pieces and not in cohesive wholes.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Album of the year changes:

1960 - Sketches of Spain replaces Giant Steps
2006 - Amy Winehouse 'Back to Black' replaces Arctic Monkeys (kind of funny since Arctic Monkeys are now among the top 100 artists)
2008 - Portishead's 'Third' replaces Fleet Foxes
2010 - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy replaces The Suburbs
Oops, and also:
1995 - The Bends replaces (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
1993 - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) replaces In Utero
But not for 1989

Top 5 of each decade changes:
1950s: Here's Little Richard replaces Time Out
2000s: Funeral at #1
2010s: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy at #1; Random Access Memories replaces Bon Iver
Last edited by Live in Phoenix on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Jonathon wrote:
Nick wrote:
I also mourn the crashing of Husker Du, Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa. I know I'm itching for a fight by saying this, but to me, the album has always been the true measure of an artist. Though maybe the reweighing is appropriate given we are in an iPod generation now, where music is listened to in bits and pieces and not in cohesive wholes.
Well the old weighing was like 65% to albums, which I think was too heavy. Now it might be too light, but still I like this better than before.
I feel like that
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

I'm honestly really surprised to see "All My Friends" in the top 100
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Jonathon wrote:
Nick wrote:
I agree with how you feel about the album as a measure of an artist. Ideally, when it comes to weighing albums vs sonks for artist rankings, I feel like it would make sense to weight it compared to the amount of lists there are. So if 65% of all the lists are albums lists, then albums count for 65% of the artist rank. But that's a discussion for another thread.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Jonathon wrote:I know I'm itching for a fight by saying this, but to me, the album has always been the true measure of an artist. Though maybe the reweighing is appropriate given we are in an iPod generation now, where music is listened to in bits and pieces and not in cohesive wholes.
I have to agree with you, as well. While I certainly have an appreciation for what we call "singles" artists, I feel that the feat of crafting an entire album's worth of interlocking and cohesive material is most impressive.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

How do you guys go about exploring the new updates? I've always kinda just opened the excel sheets, seen if there are any changes at the top, and then I search the artists I like and see how their songs and albums changed in rankings.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Elvis Costello agrees with me that Rudie Can't Fail is the best song on London Calling. I'm learning new things thanks to this update!
I feel like that
kargetina
The Only Way Is Up

Post by kargetina »

Hello guys,big fan of this site for a long time here and this update finally provoked me enough to become a member of the forums. :D

One thing that really bothered me the previous years and has bothered me even more is the huge bias towards new releases.For example,it's ridiculous to see My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy in the top 100 when it only has made 10 all time lists...most of the ''points' it has,is from ranking high in the end-of-year lists of 2010.

On the other hand you have Pearl Jam's 10 which is on 57 all time lists but since there were a lot fewer ''best of the year'' sources due to the lack of internet,it's placed at 147.

This way,there is no actual cannon and if there is it's way too easy to enter it...there are 18 releases from the 00' that are in the top 200.

My recommendation for next year is to try emulate what TSPDT does for films...end-of-year lists have no impact on the top 1000 but they do on the ''best of the 21 century'' list.It's absolutely necessary to distinguish those two things because as shown above MTDF is by no means more acclaimed than Ten and there are countless other examples like that.

12 Years a Slave was the most acclaimed film last year,by a wide margin,and yet it didn't even enter the top 1000 let alone placing in the top 100.

On the other end of the spectrum,Frank Ocean's Channel Orange is on the 99-th place even though it was released two years ago and only appears on 4 ''all time best'' lists.It's in no way,shape or form the 99-th most acclaimed album of all time.Not even a mile close.

I really appreciate the hard effort to compile these lists but it's really disappointing to see such an arbitrary way of ranking the albums.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

GucciLittlePiggy wrote:
Jonathon wrote:I know I'm itching for a fight by saying this, but to me, the album has always been the true measure of an artist. Though maybe the reweighing is appropriate given we are in an iPod generation now, where music is listened to in bits and pieces and not in cohesive wholes.
I have to agree with you, as well. While I certainly have an appreciation for what we call "singles" artists, I feel that the feat of crafting an entire album's worth of interlocking and cohesive material is most impressive.
Neil Young is one of my favorite artists of all time. Relatively poor single artist, but such a rich body of material. You can go years of constantly listening to him, and forget about an album. Those are the artists I've always felt were the most rich and rewarding.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Listyguy wrote:How do you guys go about exploring the new updates? I've always kinda just opened the excel sheets, seen if there are any changes at the top, and then I search the artists I like and see how their songs and albums changed in rankings.
I go through the years, and decades first. I like seeing albums against other albums that generally actually compete with each other. Beyond a select few, most albums aren't making 100 greatest of all time lists. So I find it more appropriate to compare albums on a decade level.
slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

Super Super impressive... Thank You Henrik. I know what I am going to be doing at my desk tomorrow.... 9 hours of AM and Spotify!!!!
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

I do have to say, I always laugh about albums like Nirvana's MTV Unplugged in New York. No matter how many albums are losing fifty spots, or gaining 80 spots around it, it's maintained a low 300 rank for most of the last 10 years.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

kargetina wrote:Hello guys,big fan of this site for a long time here and this update finally provoked me enough to become a member of the forums. :D

One thing that really bothered me the previous years and has bothered me even more is the huge bias towards new releases.For example,it's ridiculous to see My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy in the top 100 when it only has made 10 all time lists...most of the ''points' it has,is from ranking high in the end-of-year lists of 2010.

On the other hand you have Pearl Jam's 10 which is on 57 all time lists but since there were a lot fewer ''best of the year'' sources due to the lack of internet,it's placed at 147.

This way,there is no actual cannon and if there is it's way too easy to enter it...there are 18 releases from the 00' that are in the top 200.

My recommendation for next year is to try emulate what TSPDT does for films...end-of-year lists have no impact on the top 1000 but they do on the ''best of the 21 century'' list.It's absolutely necessary to distinguish those two things because as shown above MTDF is by no means more acclaimed than Ten and there are countless other examples like that.

12 Years a Slave was the most acclaimed film last year,by a wide margin,and yet it didn't even enter the top 1000 let alone placing in the top 100.

On the other end of the spectrum,Frank Ocean's Channel Orange is on the 99-th place even though it was released two years ago and only appears on 4 ''all time best'' lists.It's in no way,shape or form the 99-th most acclaimed album of all time.Not even a mile close.

I really appreciate the hard effort to compile these lists but it's really disappointing to see such an arbitrary way of ranking the albums.
I don't think the lack of end-of-year list sources hurts any album. Look at all the 60s albums on top. Another way to look at it is that for ex. Buddy Holly's albums are unbeaten in the end-of-year lists. What I mean by that is that for ex. MBDTF couldn't be considered a better album than The Chirping Crickets if only end-of-year lists were counted. Somebody else can explain better.

I think it's more about like MBDTF for example was not invented in 2009 yet, so it doesn't lose points from the lists that don't rank it that were released before 2010. And Ten has had more chances to be on lists, so that's why it's included in as many as 57 all-time lists. So really you base Ten being more acclaimed on it being in more lists? I mean I guess literally it is more acclaimed, but like when comparing the two albums fairly, it is close.

There are 18 releases from the 2000s that are in the top 200 and there are 32 from the 90s and 45 from the 60s. Your point being?

I guess I kind of agree with you if there was like for ex. like Get Lucky if it got like literally just number ones from end-of-year lists and no new all-time lists came, so I think it would be the greatest song of all time in that case. I don't know. This thing is complex. I think Henrik has organized it very well.

But I'm not 100% sure about any of this, so I would appreciate it if someone who knows for sure could explain.

I'm sorry about being a a bit aggressive in this post. You provoked me :)

But it's not like my word is the truth as I've admitted. This is just my beautiful dark twisted brain, the way I've understood the ranking methods.

Srsly, still no-one else replying to the post above??? I must have an IQ of below 100 based on my post... :character-spamcan:
Last edited by PlasticRam on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:51 am, edited 17 times in total.
I feel like that
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

kargetina wrote:12 Years a Slave was the most acclaimed film last year,by a wide margin,and yet it didn't even enter the top 1000 let alone placing in the top 100.
Though I have no place in questioning the process of music list makers, because I have no experience with such things besides my manipulation of this site's lists, I'm going to disagree with you there. "12 Years a Slave" was not significantly more acclaimed, if more acclaimed at all, than "Gravity" in 2013. Even TSPDT disagrees with you - placing "Inside Llewyn Davis" higher on its 21st Century list.

Sorry. My film personality doesn't like incorrect statements too much. Carry on ^_^
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Welcome ladies and gentlemen, to the house of universal acclaim (not counting reentries.):

Arcade Fire- Reflektor
James Blake- James Blake
Boards of Canada- Music Has a Right to Children
Daft Punk- Random Access Memories
Deerhunter- Halcyon Digest
Guided By Voices- Bee Thousand
Godspeed You Black Emperor- Lift Your Skinny Fists
LCD Soundsystem- This is Happening
My Bloody Valentine- M B V
Vampire Weekend- Modern Vampires of the City
Weezer- Pinkerton
Kanye West- Yeezus
Yo La Tengo- I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One
McJagger
Strange Fruit

Post by McJagger »

Disappointed to see Brian Eno, Cpt. Beefheart, Wire, and Can falling so dramatically. Happy to see 36 Chambers as the top album of '93, Kanye West rising so dramatically, and Rain Dogs being recognized as Tom Waits' best album. Overall, a incredible testament to Henrik's hard work and attention to detail. I just hope that with the next update -- presumably with the best albums list expanding and a reconfiguration of the algorithm -- we will see the artists I am disappointed in having fallen rising again.
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

New Songs in the top 100 (Including Current Rank - I don't have reliable stats about the previous ranks above 100)
“Gimme Shelter” (#43)
“Get Lucky” (#46)
“All Along the Watchtower” (#70)
“I’m Waiting for the Man” (#73)
“One” (#75)
“99 Problems” (#76)
“There is a Light That Never Goes Out” (#82)
“California Dreamin’” (#85)
“All My Friends” (#86)
“Live Forever” (#88)
“Once in a Lifetime” (#89)
“Blitzkrieg Bop” (#90)
“How Soon Is Now?” (#91)
“Sweet Child O’ Mine” (#96)
“Paranoid Android” (#97)
“Fight the Power” (#98)

Songs that Dropped from the Top 100 (Including Current Rank and # of Places Dropped)
“Summertime Blues” (#103 – 28 Places)
“Maggie May” (#104 – 14 Places)
“Blue Suede Shoes” (#105 – 16 Places)
“Every Breath You Take” (#106 – 12 Places)
“Maybellene” (#107 – 24 Places)
“Eight Miles High” (#108 – 21 Places)
“Honky Tonk Women” (#112 – 16 Places)
“That’s All Right (#114 – 32 Places)
“Yesterday” (#116 – 17 Places)
“No Woman No Cry” (#121 – 33 Places)
“Won’t Get Fooled Again (#122 – 31 Places)
“Mystery Train” (#126 – 50 Places)
“Oh, Pretty Woman” (#129 – 37 Places)
“Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine” (#130 – 53 Places)
“Walk On By” (#146 – 61 Places)
“Be-Bop-a-Lula” (#163 – 65 Places)
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Whoa! The National's Boxer really rocketed in the rankings. It's comfortably ahead of High Violet now, 292 to 384. I'd love to hear everyone's opinions, as I really prefer High Violet, and I also thought most others did too.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Well, how to start?

First, thank you, Henrik! You, once again, did an excellent job in this new update, 6000 songs is quite an achievement!

Your site is one of those who encouraged me and influenced my choice to make the Top Songs. And obviously, the AM's updates has a large weight in the annual updates of the Top Songs.

Again, THANK YOU,

From a lover of music here from Brazil who visit your site and this forum almost every day.

PS: Now it's time to look and enjoy the update! :music-listening: :happy-partydance:
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

Much thanks for the hard work and dedication, Henrik. Hope you have (had, by the time you see this) a good night's rest. :mrgreen:

Lots to go over, but one thing I noticed:

"Scream" appeared on the 2003 Q list of 1,0001 Songs, so that would need to be added to its list appearances. (Even though the songs on that list had a number, I don't think the rankings meant much of anything?)

I don't see The Definitive Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock- no biggie, there's always next year. :P
Last edited by JR on Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Both of the Limp Bizkit songs are bubbling under. Phew.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

GucciLittlePiggy wrote:Whoa! The National's Boxer really rocketed in the rankings. It's comfortably ahead of High Violet now, 292 to 384. I'd love to hear everyone's opinions, as I really prefer High Violet, and I also thought most others did too.
"Boxer" is great and all, but I strongly prefer "High a Violet". That run of songs from "Bloodbuzz Ohio", "Lemonworld", "Runaway", and "Conversation 16" just cannot be beat.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”