IT HAS HAPPENED: Update 2014 Thread

Henrik
Site Admin

Re: IT HAS HAPPENED: Update 2014 Thread

Post by Henrik »

Bruce wrote:
Henrik wrote:Bruce, I'm just curious, are you aware of any artists lists from critics with Bing Crosby ahead of Sex Pistols? I'm not trying to prove anything.
Yes.

http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_artistspop.html

4. Bing Crosby
(not ranked) - Sex Pistols
Are you implying that all your top 100 songs by year lists should be included at AM?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Henrik wrote:Bruce, I'm just curious, are you aware of any artists lists from critics with Bing Crosby ahead of Sex Pistols? I'm not trying to prove anything.
Yes.

4. Bing Crosby
Are you implying that all your top 100 songs by year lists should be included at AM?
No, because my lists are not for recommended songs. They are a measurement of a song's overall significance, which includes the song's acclaim as part of it. And they are also just for rock and related genres. They exclude most non rock. There are many songs that I list where I do not even like the song myself.

Bing Crosby was a major influence on Frank Sinatra, James Brown, Elvis, Little Richard, Jackie Wilson, Chuck Berry and most other early rock acts.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

I'm not aware of ANY critics who have ever made an all time list of artists which includes all types of music from all eras.

If you consider Steve Sullivan a critic, who has more songs in his book, Crosby or the Sex Pistols?
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Bruce wrote:
Yes.

4. Bing Crosby
Way to give us a list that you fucking made. How about a list from a music magazine, industry person, critic, etc?
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

See my post above that says:

I'm not aware of ANY critics who have ever made an all time list of artists which includes all types of music from all eras.

Do you also think that the Sex Pistols are more acclaimed than Beethoven?

I don't see Ludwig on any critic's lists.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Listyguy wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Yes.

4. Bing Crosby
Way to give us a list that you fucking made. How about a list from a music magazine, industry person, critic, etc?
You won't find any critic, music magazine person or music industry person who knows more about the entire history of recorded music than I do.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

This is frankly laughable now. Just stop.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

While I certainly disagree with Bruce on many things, as most of us do, I will have to say that I completely agree with him about including ALL songs and ALL albums when calculating artists lists. What he said about the Rolling Stones and the Beatles, and about The Rolling Stones and the Yardbirds, was totally correct. And longevity is itself a point for any artist. We shouldn't just judge an artist on their peaks, but also on how long they were able to make solid-to-excellent music past it. An artist with 30 acclaimed albums is certainly notable versus another artist with 15 acclaimed albums. Even if the former artist lived longer, or lasted longer as a band, or never reached the highest peaks of the latter band, still the breadth of their creative imagination, the length of time they were able to stay fresh, and/or how prolific they were able to be while still maintaining great ideas, should all be factors that are praised and recognized. After all, there are different ways to be great. You can burn bright and quick (the Beatles), or you can burn slower but steadier (Miles Davis). And if you're way past your peak but you are able to build up the creative muster to make a few more acclaimed albums in later life, we shouldn't just ignore those latter-day works just because they aren't as great as their peak years. They should still be recognized for what they were able to create as old men or women, and those latter day works should have a hand in increasing their legend, and in the same way, their rankings on AM. A large quantity of solid work is just as respectable and legitimate as large quality of a small amount of work.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bruce wrote:You won't find any critic, music magazine person or music industry person who knows more about the entire history of recorded music than I do.
Except you have never heard of "Get Lucky", never listened to Radiohead, pretty much don't know anything about music after 1987....
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Bruce wrote: You won't find any critic, music magazine person or music industry person who knows more about the entire history of recorded music than I do.
And you're calling the critics the snobs?
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Here's the song count from Steve Sullivan's book"

The first two Crosby songs are ranked in his top 100 of all time.

Brother, Can You Spare a Dime? (Oct. 25, 1932) - Bing Crosby
WHITE CHRISTMAS (OCT. 3, 1942) - BING CROSBY
Silent Night, Holy Night (Nov. 13, 1935) - Bing Crosby
Pennies from Heaven (July 24, 1936) - Bing Crosby
Dancing in the Dark (Aug. 19, 1931) - Bing Crosby
I'll Be Seeing You (April 22, 1944) - Bing Crosby
Dinah (Dec. 16, 1931) - Bing Crosby & the Mills Borhters

Anarchy in the U.K. (Dec. 11, 1976) - Sex Pistols
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik wrote:
Bruce wrote: never listened to Radiohead,
Yes I have. Did you forget my review of the OK Computer album right here in the forums :mrgreen:
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

irreduciblekoan wrote:While I certainly disagree with Bruce on many things, as most of us do, I will have to say that I completely agree with him about including ALL songs and ALL albums when calculating artists lists. What he said about the Rolling Stones and the Beatles, and about The Rolling Stones and the Yardbirds, was totally correct. And longevity is itself a point for any artist. We shouldn't just judge an artist on their peaks, but also on how long they were able to make solid-to-excellent music past it. An artist with 30 acclaimed albums is certainly notable versus another artist with 15 acclaimed albums. Even if the former artist lived longer, or lasted longer as a band, or never reached the highest peaks of the latter band, still the breadth of their creative imagination, the length of time they were able to stay fresh, and/or how prolific they were able to be while still maintaining great ideas, should all be factors that are praised and recognized. After all, there are different ways to be great. You can burn bright and quick (the Beatles), or you can burn slower but steadier (Miles Davis). And if you're way past your peak but you are able to build up the creative muster to make a few more acclaimed albums in later life, we shouldn't just ignore those latter-day works just because they aren't as great as their peak years. They should still be recognized for what they were able to create as old men or women, and those latter day works should have a hand in increasing their legend, and in the same way, their rankings on AM. A large quantity of solid work is just as respectable and legitimate as large quality of a small amount of work.
At last, a sensible man here. :music-listening:
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

That being said, 15 is a pretty large number and rarely any artists even have that many albums and/or songs on AM. So it isn't a big deal (back when it was 6 and then 9, it was a large deal). Still, the existence of a limit, even if it is a large limit, rubs me the wrong way, and there are still those small number of artists who DO have over 15 albums and/or songs that aren't getting their full due yet.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik wrote:
Bruce wrote:You won't find any critic, music magazine person or music industry person who knows more about the entire history of recorded music than I do.
Except you have never heard of "Get Lucky", never listened to Radiohead, pretty much don't know anything about music after 1987....
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Check the 300 Greatest Pop Artists list. Radiohead and many other modern acts are listed. I don't let my own taste affect the lists.

41. Madonna
60. U2
64. Mariah Carey
73. Run-D.M.C.
74. Public Enemy
93. R. Kelly
94. Jay-Z
96. Garth Brooks
109. Bon Jovi
136. Whitney Houston
138. Metallica
164. Eminem
173. Eric B. and Rakim
193. LL Cool J
205. Beastie Boys
212. Mary J. Blige
219. REM
220. 2 Pac
222. Elvis Costello
227. Pearl Jam
229. Outkast
234. N.W.A
249. Beyonce
260. Iron Maiden
263. Notorious B.I.G.
273. Nirvana
274. Radiohead
278. Kanye West
290. Usher
299. Nas
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

irreduciblekoan wrote:That being said, 15 is a pretty large number and rarely any artists even have that many albums and/or songs on AM. So it isn't a big deal (back when it was 6 and then 9, it was a large deal). Still, the existence of a limit, even if it is a large limit, rubs me the wrong way, and there are still those small number of artists who DO have over 15 albums and/or songs that aren't getting their full due yet.
It's not only the 15, but it's even more that they are weighted. Each act's top item gets 50% more weight than their 6th highest ranked item (15 to 10) and 3 times as much weight as their 11th ranked item (15 to 5).

I see no reason to weight these items. Even if it is only 15 items per act, all 15 items should have their full weight counted towards any artist rankings.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

The argument about whether the artists list should count more than 15 albums is rather superfluous, considering only 4 artists have more than 15 albums listed.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Listyguy wrote:The argument about whether the artists list should count more than 15 albums is rather superfluous, considering only 4 artists have more than 15 albums listed.
A - I'm more concerned with the weighting.
B - I'm more interested with songs than albums.
Last edited by Bruce on Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

irreduciblekoan wrote:While I certainly disagree with Bruce on many things, as most of us do, I will have to say that I completely agree with him about including ALL songs and ALL albums when calculating artists lists.
Here is a list with all ranked items included and with the same weight. I have rename it to "The 1000 Most Recommended Artists of All Time". This will end the discussion, right? Well almost, because I have found a way to weight albums and songs equally. Tweaking yes, but it works. What I have done is that I have taken a copy of the top 3000 albums and used it for the 3100-6000 positions as well. It's just a thing to make a balance between albums and songs, and I don't think it's unfair to any types of artists. Also (a minor note), I have used 7000 instead of 6100 for the "not on the list" value.

This new list is very interesting.
The Beatles are still number one overall, but Bob Dylan is now the number 1 album artist, ahead of The Beatles (with or without the 3100-6000 copy).
Radiohead are still as high as #7 while Elvis drops to #11.
Miles Davis is the 4th album artist and the 9th artist overall, John Coltrane #26, Charles Mingus #68.
Kanye West climbs to #18.
Sex Pistols are still in the top 100, at #86.

The full list is here: http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/Current/t ... native.htm
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Bruce wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:
Bruce wrote:SEARCH RESULTS

"Bing Crosby" over 43 million results
"Sex Pistols" over 7,800,000 results
You're not even doing it right. You can't just search Bing Crosby because it will eventually start giving results for both "Bing" and "Crosby" with no mention of the other. If you actually search for the two terms in their entirety, the results come back as such:

"Bing Crosby": 1.66 million
"Sex Pistols": 3.45 million

So, doing the search properly reveals Sex Pistols has twice as many internet references, not that the amount of internet references means anything. Stop trying to fudge data, especially when the data you're trying to use is entirely meaningless.
I did it properly with the quotes and got the results that I posted.
Bruce, did you know the world is not limited to your "miniscule" country?
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik wrote:What I have done is that I have taken a copy of the top 3000 albums and used it for the 3100-6000 positions as well.
Cool except for this part. The albums should not be double counted like this. There are a lot more acclaimed songs than acclaimed albums and this should be reflected in the artist rankings.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Indeed, the weighting system for that is a bit questionable to me. Instead of weighing the songs/albums within a single artist's page, relative to each other's placements, why not just weight everything by their AM rankings? For instance, if Artist X has a five albums, and they are ranked 112nd, 300th, 442nd, 1145th and 2376th, just use those rankings as the weights. No need for another formula on top of it, to give that 5th song even less weight compared to the 1st song. In this case, the less math the better, at least I would assume.

EDIT: This was pertaining to the AM rankings as is, not to your last few posts, Henrik. Thanks for that extra work!
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Romain wrote:your miniscule country
ROFL....this is coming from someone who lives in a country that is less than half the size of one of our 50 states (Alaska).
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Bruce wrote:
Listyguy wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Yes.

4. Bing Crosby
You won't find any critic, music magazine person or music industry person who knows more about the entire history of recorded music than I do.
It's a joke isnt'it? You make fun of us? Good job! What is your stage name? I can pay a lot for a one man snob show by you.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Bruce wrote: ROFL....this is coming from someone who lives in a country that is less than half the size of one of our 50 states (Alaska).
Not all Americans are like Bruce. I would like to apologize on behalf of the United States for his attitudes. We are not all assholes.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Romain wrote:
It's a joke isnt'it? You make fun of us? Good job! What is your stage name? I can pay a lot for a one man snob show by you.
Name one critic who knows as much as me about pre-1960s music, which covers about 70 years of recorded music.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Bruce wrote:
ROFL....this is coming from someone who lives in a country that is less than half the size of one of our 50 states (Alaska).
Less than 5% of the world population, is... really... miniscule.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Listyguy wrote:
Bruce wrote: ROFL....this is coming from someone who lives in a country that is less than half the size of one of our 50 states (Alaska).
Not all Americans are like Bruce. I would like to apologize on behalf of the United States for his attitudes. We are not all assholes.
Why am I an asshole, but Romain not an asshole for starting this by calling the USA "miniscule?"

He's trying to make this personal, not me.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Romain wrote:
Bruce wrote:
If the USA is miniscule then would would you term your country.....microscopic?
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Romain wrote:
Bruce wrote:
What percentage of the songs, albums and artists on this site's lists are from my country?

A lot more than 5%.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Listyguy wrote:
Don't worry. This website is, except this.... guy, a haven of peace and friendship between peoples :mrgreen: . Bruce seems to forget that there is a world around his... not only out of the USA, but out of his brain too.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Bruce wrote:
Listyguy wrote:
Why am I an asshole, but Romain not an asshole for starting this by calling the USA "miniscule?"

He's trying to make this personal, not me.
You make just about everything personal. I don't think I've seen one post from you that isn't domineering, condescending or provocative.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Bruce wrote:
Romain wrote:
Bruce wrote:
If the USA is miniscule then would would you term your country.....microscopic?
Hmmm, I touch something here. Victory for the fucking microscopic communist country :D
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Romain wrote:
Hmmm, I touch something here. Victory for the fucking microscopic communist country :D
If it wasn't for us you'd be part of Germany. :D
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Bruce wrote:
Romain wrote:
If it wasn't for us you'd be part of the British Kingdom.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Nassim wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Romain wrote:
What did you do, make hot chocolate for General Washington's troops?
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Bruce wrote:
Romain wrote:

Bingo! :mrgreen:

Make joke about millions dead, nothing better to assert his tastes about music :D
Last edited by Romain on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Bruce wrote:
Nassim wrote:
Bruce wrote:
What did you do, make hot chocolate for General Washington's troops?
I'm French you dimwit, Belgium is a younger country than the US anyway. If it wasn't for French, Spanish and Dutch supports, the colonies would never have won the war of independence. Well they probably would have ended independent sooner or later, but so would have France with the german army obliterated in the eastern front and Germany at the edge of chaos... would have taken 2 or 3 more years, more people would have died, but still, UK and USSR support would have been enough on the long term.

Back to the main topic, saying that your textbook knowledge of recorded music gives you the absolute truth about music makes as much sense as saying that a guy who knows 2000 digits of pi is a great mathematician.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Nassim wrote:
I'm French you dimwit,
Why must you resort to name calling?
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Nassim wrote: UK and USSR support would have been enough on the long term.
That's not the opinion of most WW2 historians.
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

This thread went downhill rather quickly...
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Bruce wrote: Why must you resort to name calling?
SavoyBG wrote: Since I know that Henrik is too much of a cunt to let this post stay in the forum, I am going to PM it to as many of you as I can before I post it.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Luke JR68 wrote:This thread went downhill rather quickly...
I regret making it deeply.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Bruce Bruce Bruce... your heart is in the right place but you go about it all wrong, and your otherwise decent arguments are hurt by your attitude.

I actually agree with you that Bing Crosby and Beethoven were more important to the development of music than, say, the Sex Pistols or Patti Smith. However, this site is devoted to lists about recorded albums and songs. How much music did Beethoven record? Zip. You can argue that maybe some classical recordings should be listed more, but if they were, it would be more because of performance quality than the music itself. The fact is Beethoven isn't pertinent to this site. It may be called "Acclaimed Music" but by its nature it's basically the "most acclaimed music of the recording era."

Though Crosby recorded albums, the majority were after his peak and were more like compilations and cash-grabs anyway. He DID record many great songs, and the best of them are indeed on AM. You can argue that they are ranked too low, and that there aren't enough songs of his on the site, and that critics these days don't pay enough attention to him. But another thing you have to remember, Bruce, is that music moves forward. Crosby may be a musical giant, but he simply isn't "cool" anymore. Or, in more sophisticated terms, the music he influenced, and the music THEY influenced, grabbed his ideas and revolutions and arguably made something more out of them. And more importantly for the topic of this site, the later artists released albums, not just hit songs. And that is really the biggest reason why Crosby won't make a high showing on AM, because the last 70 years has been the Age of the Album and we listeners and critics have come to venerate artists who create albums. Hence why Sinatra, who was a Crosby-like artist, could still rank so highly here. He may have been directly influenced by Crosby, but he also reached his peak at a time when the recording industry evolved in important ways. Ways that are still with us today.

A site like AM will have its limitations and you have to just accept them. No Beethoven or Mozart, and less Crosby and Billie Holliday than maybe their reputations and influence deserve. The critics who made most of the lists on AM started really paying attention when albums started being made.
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

Listyguy wrote:
Don't, it was absolutely marvelous when it started out and it gave people an outlet to celebrate the update... It just lost its way.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Hey Bruce, if you don't approve of the way that things are run on this website, you can leave and you won't be missed at all. In fact, there's a great community at a website called http://boards.4chan.org/mu/ that I'm sure would be very open to someone like you. :mrgreen:
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

Nassim wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Romain wrote:
This got me bursting out laughing. :D

I agree with Luke, though, that this thread has gone off the rails and no longer seems to be a peaceful discussion of the new update.

I have a question for Bruce: I haven't really been around this forum all that long, but it seems to me that you have little interest in or are at least displeased with the opinions of most critics, the very thing this site is based on. I'm just curious why you stick around site. Please don't take this as me trying to get you to leave or anything, I'm honestly just curious and I may be very wrong about your thoughts on critics.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bruce wrote:
Henrik wrote:
Bruce wrote: never listened to Radiohead,
Yes I have. Did you forget my review of the OK Computer album right here in the forums :mrgreen:
Yes, lucky you that this forum exists. How else would you maintain your position as "the person who knows more any other person about the entire history of recorded music"?
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

irreduciblekoan wrote:we listeners and critics have come to venerate artists who create albums.
Not me. And not most listeners either. Especially nowadays in the digital age. The vast majority of people do not listen to full albums. They listen to a mix of songs on their IPods and computers. and on the radio where nobody plays full albums.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Listyguy wrote:
Sorry, we know we should not answer to provocation. I say "don't feed the troll" often enough to know better.
Anyway, I blocked him, I won't see his messages ever again and AM forum will go back to being the nicest place on the internet !

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”