Errors in the July 2014 update

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Re: Errors in the July 2014 update

Post by BleuPanda »

"Brennisteinn" by Sigur Ros should have two n's at the end.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

While Les Savy Fav is listed as Savy Fav, Les when I'm not sure it completely makes sense, Les Négresses Vertes and Les Chats Sauvages are both under L while there it really is the French "the".
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

5956 - World Party - Message in a Box

The correct tittle is probably "Put the Message in the Box"

http://www.allmusic.com/album/goodbye-j ... 0000203586
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodbye_Jumbo
http://www.discogs.com/World-Party-Good ... ster/80626
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

1) The following two songs should be moved from 1991 to 1990: "More Than Words" and "Man in the Box." While both peaked as singles in 1991; each, as noted by RYM, were released on albums from the summer of 1990.

2) According to RYM, "Silent All These Years" was released originally as a B-Side to "Me and My Gun" in the fall of 1991.

3) "Let Me Ride" should be Bubbling Under in 1992, not 1993. It was the third single off of The Chronic, which was released in 1992.

4) "Strong Enough" should be Bubbling Under in 1993, which is when the Tuesday Night Music Club LP was released.

5) "Not Goin Cry" should be moved to 1995. It was on the Waiting to Exhale Soundtrack, which was released in 1995. "Breakfast at Tiffany's" should be moved to 1995 or earlier. The original version was on the debut album of Deep Blue Something, which as RYM notes, was released in 1993. The band redid the song for their second album, which was released in 1995. The second version was the hit.

6) "My Love is Your Love" should be listed under 1998. It was the title track and third single from Whitney's 1998 LP.
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

1) According to Wikipedia and RYM, "Lost Someone" by James Brown was released in 1961, not 1962.

2) According to Joel Whitburn's Top Pop SIngles and RYM, "Mama Didn't Lie" should be listed under 1962, not 1963.

3) According to Whitburn and RYM, "Spanish Harlem" should be listed in 1960, not 1961. It actually entered the Billboard Hot 100 during the last week of 1960.

4) For "Dominique," It might be nice to list the Singing Nun along with the singer's other stage name.

5) Since "She's Your Lover Now" was an outtake from 1966 not officially released until 1991, should it not be listed in 1991, just like "Blind Willie McTell," which was from the same collection of Dylan outtakes?
Last edited by stone37 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Re: IT HAS HAPPENED: Update 2014 Thread

Post by Listyguy »

James Brown's "Prisoner of Love" and Elton John's "Philadelphia Freedom" both have the same rank and release year.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

There are two entries for Hunters & Collectors on the alphabetical artist list that should be combined. One includes their 1986 album "Human Frailty," while the other includes their 1984 song "Throw Your Arms Around Me."
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Setherex wrote:There are two entries for Hunters & Collectors on the alphabetical artist list that should be combined. One includes their 1986 album "Human Frailty," while the other includes their 1984 song "Throw Your Arms Around Me."
The same thing for The Bravery, which is split between two artist pages, "The Bravery" and "Bravery."

Robert Plant is also split between "Robert Plant" and "Robert Plant & Alison Krauss." That might have just been your own decision, Henrik, but it seems a little odd to me. Wanted to point it out.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

The Marshall Crenshaw song is actually titled "Someday, Someway".
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Harold
Into the Groove

Re: IT HAS HAPPENED: Update 2014 Thread

Post by Harold »

Listyguy wrote:James Brown's "Prisoner of Love" and Elton John's "Philadelphia Freedom" both have the same rank and release year.
I was scratching my head over this - in both cases it's not an error, it's a highly amusing coincidence - but then I saw the subject line - I don't think you meant to post this in the error thread. I don't blame you, though; I've been avoiding the "IT HAS HAPPENED" thread myself...
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Harold wrote:
Listyguy wrote:James Brown's "Prisoner of Love" and Elton John's "Philadelphia Freedom" both have the same rank and release year.
I was scratching my head over this - in both cases it's not an error, it's a highly amusing coincidence - but then I saw the subject line - I don't think you meant to post this in the error thread. I don't blame you, though; I've been avoiding the "IT HAS HAPPENED" thread myself...
I could have sworn I posted it in that thread... :mrgreen:
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sorry Listyguy, I moved it to this thread and should have told you. It sounded like an error to me, is it not? I'm answering from my mobile, and haven't looked into it yet. My kids occupy the PC most if the time...
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Henrik wrote:Sorry Listyguy, I moved it to this thread and should have told you. It sounded like an error to me, is it not? I'm answering from my mobile, and haven't looked into it yet. My kids occupy the PC most if the time...
Oh, I didn't mean it like that. I meant those two songs rank also was their release year, coincidentally.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Listyguy wrote:
Henrik wrote:Sorry Listyguy, I moved it to this thread and should have told you. It sounded like an error to me, is it not? I'm answering from my mobile, and haven't looked into it yet. My kids occupy the PC most if the time...
Oh, I didn't mean it like that. I meant those two songs rank also was their release year, coincidentally.
Oh, I see. I thought that both the rank and release year had become "tied" somehow. No worries then!
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Stray Cats Strut
82 899 5554

(the song title should be Stray Cat Strut - singular)
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

"Let Me Ride" by Dr. Dre was originally released in 1992, on the album "The Chronic".
Onno Pels
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Onno Pels »

Little erratum: number 4431 on the Songs List is posted as: Malcolm X (artist), No Sell Out (song), whereas in 1983 Malcolm X had been dead for 18 years and drummer Keith LeBlanc made "one of the first sample-based releases" (Wikipedia) by the title "No Sell Out", using samples of Malcolm X. So it should probably be listed as: Keith LeBlanc/Malcolm X (artist) - No Sell Out (song).
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Walter Carlos should be Wendy Carlos.
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

1) "Snowbird" by Anne Murray should be listed in 1969. It became a hit in 1970, but it was on her 1969 LP (This Way is My My Way).

2) "Timothy" by the Buoys should be in 1970, according to RYM and Joel Whitburn.

3) "Bring the Boys Home" should be in 1971, according to RYM and Joel Whitburn.

4) "One of a Kind (Love Affair)" should be in 1973, according to RYM.

5) "The Love I Lost" should be in 1973 according to RYM.

6) For "Rock the Boat," I know that RYM has the song in 1974, but it was the second single from Freedom for the Stallion. which came out in 1973, as RYM notes. So it should be in 1973 for AM.

7) Johnnie Taylor's "I Believe in You (You Believe in Me)" should be in 1972 according to RYM.

8) "Love's Theme" should be in 1973 according to RYM. The song broke into the Top 100 pop charts on 12/1/1973.

9) "Winter in America" did not appear on the 1974 album of the same name. It was recorded and released in 1975 and should be listed that year (according to RYM and Wikipedia).

10) RYM has "Shame, Shame, Shame" listed for 1975, but it was probably released in 1974. It broke into the Top 100 of Billboard on 1/11/1975 (unlikely that a single from a new group from non-major labor would debut on the charts within one week of its commercial release). And there is this (from Discogs)...

http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-1276220-1289675151.jpeg
Last edited by stone37 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:34 am, edited 7 times in total.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

stone37 wrote:
3) "Bring the Boys Back Home" should be in 1971, according to RYM and Joel Whitburn.
It's called "Bring The Boys Home."
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

Bruce wrote:
stone37 wrote:
3) "Bring the Boys Back Home" should be in 1971, according to RYM and Joel Whitburn.
It's called "Bring The Boys Home."
Yep, that was a typo.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Here's one more: "King & Queen" appears twice on Otis Redding's page but not at all on Carla Thomas'.

Edit: Two more, actually. The page for Serge Reggiani's "Sarah" doesn't mention its inclusion in the Thomas Caussé list of 2000 French classics, while it does feature the song.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

View the latest post

by Listyguy
12 Aug 2014, 00:31

Listyguy, it appears as if you posted something that was deleted when I made an update to the latest phpBB version. Could you please post the error again? Thanks!
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

1) "Sara Smile" should be listed under 1975. While released as a single in 1976, it was on the duo's 1975 LP (as RYM notes).

2) "Boogie Fever" should be listed under 1975. Both the single and the album it came from (Showcase) are listed as 1975 in RYM.

3) According to RYM, William Bell's "Tryin' to Love Two'" should be listed in 1976.

4) The following two singles peaked in 1977 but were released on albums from 1976. "Lido Shuffle" was off of Silk Degrees. "When I Need You" was off of Endless Flight.

5) "Shake Your Body" by the Jacksons should be listed in 1978. The single was released in 1979, but it was off the LP Destiny, which as RYM notes, was released in late 1978.

6) "Lead Me On" should be listed in 1978. The single and album were released in the US in 1979, but the song had already been released as part of the Love Lines LP in Europe in 1978, according to WIkipedia and RYM.

7) I noticed a typo for the Merle Haggard song from 1973. Change "Though" to "Through."

8) "What's Your Name" should be listed in 1977. It was on the Street Survivors LP from that year (as noted by RYM).

9) "Free Ride" should be listed in 1972. It was on the same LP as Frankenstein (They Only Come Out at Night).
Last edited by stone37 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
o.m.
Different Class

Post by o.m. »

D.O.C. and The D.O.C. on the artists' page are the same artist!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_D.O.C._discography
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Henrik wrote:View the latest post

by Listyguy
12 Aug 2014, 00:31

Listyguy, it appears as if you posted something that was deleted when I made an update to the latest phpBB version. Could you please post the error again? Thanks!
Artists like Motley Crue and Husker Du that have symbols over letters are out of alphabetical order on the artists by letter pages.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

In the artist index Jack Scott is in the J section but he should be in the S section.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Are #178 and #2727; Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers, not the same 1976 album?
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Post by DDD troll account »

DocBrown wrote:Are #178 and #2727; Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers, not the same 1976 album?
No.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

lagire wrote:So Henrik, congratulation for this update.
Great with now 6000 songs but i hope next update will be with 10 000 songs!
As i tell you, i have noticed many errors in the previous update that i have filled in a spreadsheet.
I'll check it with the new update and 'll send you.

An example:
Searching for french songs in lists,
i have bought the edition of "les inrockuptibles 1000 indispensable songs" (2006) and there's 4 errors.
Those 4 songs are not mentionned in the list and are mentioned under another song:

- The Ronettes "Be my baby" > Good Girls (1963)
- The Pipettes "Pull Shapes" > Your Kisses Are Wasted On Me
- Bob Mould "See a little light" > Sunset Safety Glass (2002)
- Bauhaus "Bela Lugosis's Dead" > Spirit
Thanks Iagire! I will probably update the site with all corrections during next week, so if you could send an email to me with what you have that would be great. Otherwise I think I will wait with your corrections until next year's update.

I used the Inrockuptibles list from their online page (which is not available anymore), and since there are four "mistakes", I think that there might have been differences between the online list and the magazine list. Nevertheless, I think the magazine list should be regarded as the definitive one, so I will use your corrections.
Also, for that list, I'm not 100% sure that I included the full chanson section before it got deleted. It would be great if I could send you a file with all selections in my spreadsheet so that you can check if all the songs are there, at least the French ones. This is something we can do later.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks to everyone for your corrections!!!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

stone37 wrote:Henrik,

Thanks for giving me a reason to procrastinate for weeks to come! I am updating my iTunes playlist to match the new AM list. I hope to do a year every few days. I will group what I see in a handful of posts.
stone37, special thanks to you for your in depth checks. Fantastic!

As I said to Iagire, I plan to make a "corrections update" next week, but if you will have more corrections soon I could wait another week or so. Do you have an end date for your work? :)
lagire
Keep On Movin'

Post by lagire »

Henrik wrote: Thanks Iagire! I will probably update the site with all corrections during next week, so if you could send an email to me with what you have that would be great. Otherwise I think I will wait with your corrections until next year's update.

I used the Inrockuptibles list from their online page (which is not available anymore), and since there are four "mistakes", I think that there might have been differences between the online list and the magazine list. Nevertheless, I think the magazine list should be regarded as the definitive one, so I will use your corrections.
Also, for that list, I'm not 100% sure that I included the full chanson section before it got deleted. It would be great if I could send you a file with all selections in my spreadsheet so that you can check if all the songs are there, at least the French ones. This is something we can do later.
Ok Henrik, i'm gonna send you my excel file errors. there will be some explications in it.
I had not yet time to check it since your update, so there will be surely some errors corrected.

And ok for inrockuptibles list.
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

Henrik wrote:
stone37 wrote:Henrik,

Thanks for giving me a reason to procrastinate for weeks to come! I am updating my iTunes playlist to match the new AM list. I hope to do a year every few days. I will group what I see in a handful of posts.
stone37, special thanks to you for your in depth checks. Fantastic!

As I said to Iagire, I plan to make a "corrections update" next week, but if you will have more corrections soon I could wait another week or so. Do you have an end date for your work? :)
Henrik,

Thanks for the kind words. I am done. I have around 4100 songs from the AM 6000 and around 1400 of the "Bubbling Under" Songs. For those songs, I checked the AM lists against my playlists. When I found discrepancies, I did some research and, when the AM site was in err, I posted on this thread. Of course, just as often, my lists were wrong. Damn those December release dates!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I am closing this thread, as I have tried to correct all the errors that have been reported here. I will start a new error thread.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”