Random Rules July - Elimination!

Brad
Higher Ground

Re: Random Rules July - Elimination!

Post by Brad »

I agree guys - nice list this month! I'll put the spotify US list together soon and post the links.

How do you think it compares to last July's introductory Jukebox entry?...

Random Rules Jukebox - July 2013:
The Flaming Lips - Race For The Prize (acroamor)
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen the Rain? (Nick)
The Clash - Lost in the Supermarket (slick)
The Avalanches - Since I Left You (Chilton)
The Sex Pistols - God Save The Queen (Blanco)
Talk Talk - The Rainbow (Greg)
The Hold Steady - You Can Make Him Like You (live - from A Positive Rage) (Brad)
Leadbelly - Goodnight Irene (nicolas)
Sonic Youth- Teenage Riot (Nassim)
Bob Dylan- Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues (Mattceinicram)

Hmmm... tough call, I'd say!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Attached is Spotify US link to the July 2014 Random Rules Jukebox. It contains 14 songs (once again, The Beatles are the lone holdouts; consult Abbey Road for their submission this month):

Here's another link with all the Random Rules songs to date (13 month's worth!):

Enjoy!
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

Brad wrote:How do you think it compares to last July's introductory Jukebox entry?...
Hmmm... They are both incredibly solid, but this year's has a little more variety to it and (in all honesty) entertains me more :music-listening:
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Wow, as much as I like this month's jukebox, that inaugural jukebox from last year is kind of hard to beat! Thanks, too, for welcoming me this month guys. (Especially since I was late to the party.) I will try to participate again next month, though I remain extremely busy (family, relatively new job far from home, already searching for a new job closer to home). This is a terrific game, and I discovered a handful of new favorites this month: well worth whatever free time I can find in the future. Congratulations on a great idea, Brad!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Thanks so much Jamie - You're welcome here anytime!

Hey Blanco - I have a somewhat obscure question you may be able to answer (or any other Brazilian music aficianados out there)...

I've recently been enjoying the fabulous "Fa-tal: Gal a todo vapor" album by Gal Costa quite a bit. I noticed it made your top 10 list for 1971 (and sonofsamiam's as well). The song "Luz Do Sol" in particular has intrigued me... however, I can't match the song on the live recording to the song of the same name performed by Costa (or C. Veloso, for that matter) in the studio and elsewhere (via youtube). Is this a different song with the same name? Or is it just a wildly different arrangement of the song that I can't connect due to a language barrier? Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Brad wrote:Hey Blanco - I have a somewhat obscure question you may be able to answer (or any other Brazilian music aficianados out there)...

I've recently been enjoying the fabulous "Fa-tal: Gal a todo vapor" album by Gal Costa quite a bit. I noticed it made your top 10 list for 1971 (and sonofsamiam's as well). The song "Luz Do Sol" in particular has intrigued me... however, I can't match the song on the live recording to the song of the same name performed by Costa (or C. Veloso, for that matter) in the studio and elsewhere (via youtube). Is this a different song with the same name? Or is it just a wildly different arrangement of the song that I can't connect due to a language barrier? Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!
Hey Brad, I had not seen your question until recently. Have you found an answer yet? If not, sorry for taking so long to respond. I had to listen again the song you mentioned to compare it to other versions that appear on youtube, and I think they are the same song. Actually, I think they sound very similar, so I think we are not talking about the same versions.
This it's the "Fa-tal: Gal a todo vapor" version you've heard? (the last song).
And if so, which other versions have you heard?
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Thanks Blanco - I'm comparing
to
and don't think they sound alike at all! Am I missing something? I appreciate your input, as clearly the language barrier is blocking me!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”