Poll - Songs and Albums of 1975

Bruce
Feeling Good

Re: Poll - Songs and Albums of 1975

Post by Bruce »

Jirin wrote:Bruce, why do you always need to comment on the ethnicity of artists that end up on our lists?
I guess because most of the members here do not like very much black music, and clearly prefer genres that are almost exclusively done by whites. Nobody is saying that anybody here is a racist. Just that most here do not appreciate the black genres near as much as the white genres. And as we found out a while ago, we have no black members of the forum.
Jirin wrote: And I think eclectic songs that a few people absolutely love deserve to be on the list more than songs that a lot of people just think are pretty good.
I totally disagree. The results should be a reflection of what the most members like, not what 2 or 3 members love while the rest of us don't even like the song. PLUS, what makes you think that if someone lists a song at #9 for the year that they only think it's "pretty good?"

In a year like 1956 I have well over 100 songs that I love. I would think that people here who are listing over 100 songs in 1965 would love a lot more than 15 of those songs.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Bruce wrote:The results should be a reflection of what the most members like, not what 2 or 3 members love while the rest of us don't even like the song. PLUS, what makes you think that if someone lists a song at #9 for the year that they only think it's "pretty good?"

In a year like 1956 I have well over 100 songs that I love. I would think that people here who are listing over 100 songs in 1965 would love a lot more than 15 of those songs.
First, I want to make it clear that I am not results oriented when it comes to these polls. I enjoy them thoroughly just as they have been and continue to proceed based on the values for placement indicated earlier in our discussion.

That said, if the polls are intended to provide a reasonably accurate representation of the participants' collective view, we should consider moving to a flatter value apportionment profile next year.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henry wrote:
Bruce wrote:First, I want to make it clear that I am not results oriented when it comes to these polls.
Okay, so what do you see as the purpose for the polls?
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Bruce wrote:
Henry wrote:
Bruce wrote:First, I want to make it clear that I am not results oriented when it comes to these polls.
Okay, so what do you see as the purpose for the polls?
Since you asked and after reading my earlier comment, I can see where further clarification is warranted, I do not care about the "purity" of the results based on some pseudo-objective standard that is likely based on an imperfect set of constraints.

Instead, I am interested in understanding which songs are loved by my fellow forum members, especially songs that are my favorites and songs that I am not familiar with. The results do provide a basis for this understanding, so in that aspect of the results, I do indeed care.

But, I can glean this information with alacrity using the present value allocation profile. So, I do not care so much how the results could be "improved" by changing the value allocation profile to accommodate some notion of objectivity or improved representation.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henry wrote: Since you asked and after reading my earlier comment, I can see where further clarification is warranted, I do not care about the "purity" of the results based on some pseudo-objective standard that is likely based on an imperfect set of constraints.

Instead, I am interested in understanding which songs are loved by my fellow forum members, especially songs that are my favorites and songs that I am not familiar with. The results do provide a basis for this understanding, so in that aspect of the results, I do indeed care.

But, I can glean this information with alacrity using the present value allocation profile. So, I do not care so much how the results could be "improved" by changing the value allocation profile to accommodate some notion of objectivity or improved representation.
Changing the value allocation would give you a more accurate idea of "which songs are loved by your fellow forum members."
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Bruce wrote:
Jirin wrote:Bruce, why do you always need to comment on the ethnicity of artists that end up on our lists?
I guess because most of the members here do not like very much black music, and clearly prefer genres that are almost exclusively done by whites. Nobody is saying that anybody here is a racist. Just that most here do not appreciate the black genres near as much as the white genres. And as we found out a while ago, we have no black members of the forum.
Yes, the HUGE acclaimed for Kanye West, Janelle Monae, Channel Orange or Outkast for example, in the "best albums of the years" or "best albums of the decade" exactly show what you say. Sure.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

stone37 wrote:I have not given much thought to the formula used before, but after reading Zorg's post, I do wonder if it makes sense to use the same formula for albums and songs. Each of us knows far more songs than albums (and for album lovers keep in mind for each album you add to your musical memory bank, you add a dozen or so songs). As such, it takes more to be the #15 song of the year on an individual's list than to be his/her #15 favorite album.

The current system ensures that any vote outside of the top 5 will barely move the needle. What if we used, in the future (should not switch horses in midstream) a system that awarded 75 points for a number one vote and then made each successive vote worth five points less (#2 is 70 points, #3 is 65, #15 is 5). Such a system would make the #1 song on a given list worth five times as much as the #15 song instead of fifty times (which seems to me a bit skewed to me).
I think that's a fair point, I don't want the album scores to change too much because I feel you have a big advantage at being more known or more acclaimed on the album side, you might end between #10 and #15 by default on many ballots. As it would be impossible to factor who has listened to which albums, you need to favor top 5 albums in my opinion. The current scoring might be TOO much in favor of them, so a small tweak might be nice, but I don't think a big change would be a good idea.
I guess it happens less for songs since we have a much broader selection to chose from.

It's always hard to tell, if I take my #15 song of 1997, 2002 or 2000, it's probably in my top 500 songs of all time, more likely top 300. If I look at my #15 in 1976, 1981 or 1990, I would not even remotely consider it for a top 1000.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Bruce wrote:I totally disagree. The results should be a reflection of what the most members like, not what 2 or 3 members love while the rest of us don't even like the song.
That would be true if we had all listened to every song from 1975 or we were all picking from the same set of songs, neither of which is the case. 2 or 3 members absolutely adoring a song that the rest of us have never heard of is more interesting to me than 5 or 6 members ranking a song as #10. Although I agree that our current point system is not perfect, I definitely prefer it over the one you suggested.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Stephan wrote:
Bruce wrote:I totally disagree. The results should be a reflection of what the most members like, not what 2 or 3 members love while the rest of us don't even like the song.
That would be true if we had all listened to every song from 1975 or we were all picking from the same set of songs, neither of which is the case. 2 or 3 members absolutely adoring a song that the rest of us have never heard of is more interesting to me than 5 or 6 members ranking a song as #10. Although I agree that our current point system is not perfect, I definitely prefer it over the one you suggested.
I completely agree.

I think I'd personaly go with something like

1. 50
2. 40
3. 35
4. 30
5. 25
6. 20
7. 18
8. 16
9. 13
10. 10
11. 9
12. 8
13. 7
14. 6
15. 5

Mostly because I sometimes feel the bottom of my lists are "useless votes" but still want top votes to be prominent.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Stephan wrote:

100% agree.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Right, people here don't like black genres. That's why my #1 album of all time is Are You Experienced and everybody is rooting for MBDTF to climb all the charts. It's true that the forum has preference for majority white genres over majority black genres, but why do you always raise the race issue? It would be great to have more black members but this is the third time I've seen you throw in the comment that it's so unfortunate that we don't take the race of the performer into account when deciding what music we like.

I agree maybe the points should slope down slower in the songs poll than the albums poll. But I think a list that gets everybody's absolute favorites whether or not they have wide exposure is more accurate to the forum tastes than one where the only possible way to get on the list is for every single forum member to have exposure to it.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Romain wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Yes, the HUGE acclaimed for Kanye West, Janelle Monae, Channel Orange or Outkast for example, in the "best albums of the years" or "best albums of the decade" exactly show what you say. Sure.
Where's the huge acclaim in the 1975 results for the Isley Brothers, the Ohio Players, the Staple Singers, Major Harris, the O'jays, etc?

Coincidentally my friend Dean at Rhythm Radio is counting down the top 100 soul/funk songs of 1975 this weekend. Perhaps everybody in the forum should be listening.

http://www.live365.com/stations/goldwax317
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Bruce wrote:
Romain wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Where's the huge acclaim in the 1975 results for the Isley Brothers, the Ohio Players, the Staple Singers, Major Harris, the O'jays, etc?

Coincidentally my friend Dean at Rhythm Radio is counting down the top 100 soul/funk songs of 1975 this weekend. Perhaps everybody in the forum should be listening.

http://www.live365.com/stations/goldwax317
Sooo, for you, there is real "black music" and false "black music"... yuck...

It's not :"this website don't love black music" (just by writing, I tear) but "this website don't love exactly the music I love, so, they are all wrong and I'm right, etc, etc" always the same thing.

Everytime you said something about the forumers on this website, it's exactly the opposite in fact.
The tiny culture that you want at the sole and unique is so minuscule that any taste outside yours is, for your mind, a lack of culture.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

@Bruce

Then why don't you say "There should be more soul music on this list" instead of "There should be more black music?" Why make the leap from under-appreciating a specific genre you think deserves more attention to making it about race?
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Romain wrote: Sooo, for you, there is real "black music" and false "black music"... yuck...

It's not :"this website don't love black music" (just by writing, I tear) but "this website don't love exactly the music I love, so, they are all wrong and I'm right, etc, etc" always the same thing.

Everytime you said something about the forumers on this website, it's exactly the opposite in fact.
The tiny culture that you want at the sole and unique is so minuscule that any taste outside yours is, for your mind, a lack of culture.
Jirin wrote:@Bruce

Then why don't you say "There should be more soul music on this list" instead of "There should be more black music?" Why make the leap from under-appreciating a specific genre you think deserves more attention to making it about race?
Because it actually always comes down to this... Bruce doesn't actually care whether the music is done by black or white people or whether it's critically acclaimed or not. His only problem lies in the fact that people here do not like the same music as him and his hyper-inflated ego can not stand it. Bruce is little more than an attention whore and I think answering him is giving him too much pleasure, that's why I'm urging people just to ignore him, as I do, because his blatant ignorance about music outside some niche styles, pretentiousness and overall stupid attitude do not deserve more, period.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

You are right... blacklisted !
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Romain wrote:You are right... blacklisted !
Good decision! Welcome back on the old, friendly and peaceful pre-Bruce Acclaimed Music forum! It's definitely a better place :D
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Stephan wrote:2 or 3 members absolutely adoring a song that the rest of us have never heard of is more interesting to me than 5 or 6 members ranking a song as #10.
You will find out about those 2 or 3 people adoring a song without those songs having to finish artifically high in the final results. Just look through the top 5 or so on each person's ballot.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Are you saying that soul music is not a black genre?

Do discussions about race scare you for some reason?
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Just a note to everyone about Bruce. It is clear that he taunts to get a reaction.

My suggestion is that you either ignore the taunt or respond in a way that demonstrates that you are not going to fall for his childish maneuvers.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henry wrote:Just a note to everyone about Bruce. It is clear that he taunts to get a reaction.
Sigh.....you've got it all wrong. I'm just hoping that a couple of you will say to themselves......you know, Bruce is right. I pretty much only listen to music that is done by people like myself. My lists of favorites have a couple of token R&B items here and there, but by and large I only really like music done by other white people. From there maybe they try and figure out why this is.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Bruce wrote:I'm just hoping that a couple of you will say to themselves......you know, Bruce is right.
...yeah, we DEFINITELY have you all wrong, Mr. Troll :roll: LOL
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Bruce wrote:

Are you saying that soul music is not a black genre?

Do discussions about race scare you for some reason?
When I see a discussion about race, I'll tell you if it scares me. All I see is a desperate cudgel being wielded by a man seeking to establish himself in a moral high ground.

And I dare you to go to a music site whose population is majority black and post about how much of a shame it is that their lists do not contain enough 'white music'.

If you want to have a discussion about racial issues, I would be pleased to discuss income inequality with you in a thread in General Discussion.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

You need to listen to people before you can make people listen to you.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Now that Bruce talks about it, I am convinced that the lack of acclaim around here for Can, Blonde Redhead, Boris, Boredoms, Deerhoof and Linkin Park is clear anti-asian racism... This can't be a coincidence ! Van Halen never topping a year poll, must be because Eddie is quarter Indonesian !
The truth is out !!!

P.S : Disregard any acclaim for Pixies or Smashing Pumpkins please.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Jirin wrote:Right, people here don't like black genres. That's why my #1 album of all time is Are You Experienced
If you think that Jimi Hendrix did music from a black genre you are missing the point entirely.

Do you also think that Charley Pride did music from a black genre?
Last edited by Bruce on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Jirin wrote: And I dare you to go to a music site whose population is majority black and post about how much of a shame it is that their lists do not contain enough 'white music'.
I'd be happy to. Just point me in the direction of this site.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Jirin wrote:
If you want to have a discussion about racial issues, I would be pleased to discuss income inequality with you in a thread in General Discussion.
I'm only interested in racial issues in regard to how they affect musical taste and musical styles.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik wrote:You need to listen to people before you can make people listen to you.
It's useless, Henrik, ever since its SavoyBG days Bruce has deliberately ignored all the repeated reproaches formulated against him regarding his attitude. The way he answers to people, only taking some fragments to which he feels like answering and ignoring the rest, is revealing in that matter. He doesn't seem to understand, or even acknowledge, that acting this way he deters everybody from actually reading what he says, even if he makes one point right. I'm now convinced that whatever he says, he doesn't actually care about having someone agree with him, he's just trying to have people notice he exists. By and large, a typical troll.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Pierre wrote:
Henrik wrote:You need to listen to people before you can make people listen to you.
It's useless, Henrik, ever since its SavoyBG days Bruce has deliberately ignored all the repeated reproaches formulated against him regarding his attitude. The way he answers to people, only taking some fragments to which he feels like answering and ignoring the rest, is revealing in that matter. He doesn't seem to understand, or even acknowledge, that acting this way he deters everybody from actually reading what he says, even if he makes one point right. I'm now convinced that whatever he says, he doesn't actually care about having someone agree with him, he's just trying to have people notice he exists. By and large, a typical troll.
I'm sorry you all seem to see it this way. Maybe it's just the cultural differences between us from the New York/New Jersey area and the rest of the world. Maybe it's also a generational gap.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Pierre wrote:
It's true that Bruce should take notice about his attitude (although the rather bad attitude is coming from all directions in this thread, it's contagious I'm afraid). However, what I was mostly thinking of, was that I won't take advice from someone who himself isn't interested in discovering new genres, and even virtually ignores entire decades of music.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik wrote: However, what I was mostly thinking of, was that I won't take advice from someone who himself isn't interested in discovering new genres, and even virtually ignores entire decades of music.
I think most here ignore entire decades of music (1900s, 1910s, 1920s, for instance).

I posted my favorite song of every year through 2010 in another thread. It's not what most here like, but I'm much older than most here (56) and my taste is more like that of someone who is 70 years old.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik wrote:I won't take advice from someone who himself isn't interested in discovering new genres, and even virtually ignores entire decades of music.
I don't think that you need any advice from me. You already do like more R&B and soul music than most here, witness your nomination of that Tammi Terrell track rather than nominating something from this century as most of the other players did.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik wrote:
Pierre wrote:
It's true that Bruce should take notice about his attitude (although the rather bad attitude is coming from all directions in this thread, it's contagious I'm afraid).
I guess so. Oh well, I've blocked him too anyway, so I hope it will preserve me from his influence.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bruce wrote:I'm just hoping that a couple of you will say to themselves......you know, Bruce is right. I pretty much only listen to music that is done by people like myself. My lists of favorites have a couple of token R&B items here and there, but by and large I only really like music done by other white people. From there maybe they try and figure out why this is.
OK, to make myself perfectly clear. Why should anyone need your advice when what you said could be changed to...
Someone wrote:Bruce, I'm just hoping that you will say to yourself......you know, the forumers are right. I pretty much only listen to old music. My lists of favorites have a couple of token 80s-10s items here and there, but by and large I only really like music done before 19xx. From there maybe you try and figure out why this is.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik wrote:
Someone wrote:Bruce, I'm just hoping that you will say to yourself......you know, the forumers are right. I pretty much only listen to old music. My lists of favorites have a couple of token 80s-10s items here and there, but by and large I only really like music done before 19xx. From there maybe you try and figure out why this is.
I know why it is. I knew why it was long before I ever came to this forum. I started not to like much current music anymore 40 years ago in 1974. There was somewhat of a revival in the late 70s and early 80s with new wave and some R&B and funk, but by 1985 or so there was little that appealed to me anymore. One of the biggest reasons is the influence of acts like the Velvet Underground on much of the white rock and roll of the late 80s and beyond. Since I've never had any interest in lyrics I do not like the fact that musical acts in the modern era feel that it's important to have a "point of view" in their music, and that most acts insist on writing their own songs for this reason. I much prefer to hear song stylists like Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Sinatra, Crosby, and others who were not songwriters. Not every musician has songwriting ability. Most don't have any songwriting ability. The skill of playing an instrument and/or singing is an entirely different skill than songwriting.

I prefer the eras of music where most of the great songwriters were not performers, and vice versa.

I know this won't go over well here, but I think one of the main things that ruined music for me was music critics. Their insistence in analyzing the lyrics and supposed meanings of songs slowly but surely made the performers feel like this was very important. Instead of just being entertainers like Johnny Cash, Little Richard. mJerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Muddy Waters, BB king, mand most acts from that generation, the performers all wanted to be looked at the way that Bob Dylan is looked at in this article.

http://musichistorian.tumblr.com/post/2 ... len-willis

I have ZERO interest in this kind of stuff. And this is what music has become in the past 30 years or so. Even in black music, where in the past it was mainly about rhythms and harmony, hip hop is now more about each acts words than anything else.

Give me a jam like "Cold Sweat" or "Doing It To Death" with meaningless words and great grooves anytime over ANY "message" music.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

You might agree with this "message" music:
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Bruce wrote:
Henrik wrote:
I know why it is. I knew why it was long before I ever came to this forum. I started not to like much current music anymore 40 years ago in 1974. There was somewhat of a revival in the late 70s and early 80s with new wave and some R&B and funk, but by 1985 or so there was little that appealed to me anymore. One of the biggest reasons is the influence of acts like the Velvet Underground on much of the white rock and roll of the late 80s and beyond. Since I've never had any interest in lyrics I do not like the fact that musical acts in the modern era feel that it's important to have a "point of view" in their music, and that most acts insist on writing their own songs for this reason. I much prefer to hear song stylists like Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Sinatra, Crosby, and others who were not songwriters. Not every musician has songwriting ability. Most don't have any songwriting ability. The skill of playing an instrument and/or singing is an entirely different skill than songwriting.

I prefer the eras of music where most of the great songwriters were not performers, and vice versa.

I know this won't go over well here, but I think one of the main things that ruined music for me was music critics. Their insistence in analyzing the lyrics and supposed meanings of songs slowly but surely made the performers feel like this was very important. Instead of just being entertainers like Johnny Cash, Little Richard. mJerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Muddy Waters, BB king, mand most acts from that generation, the performers all wanted to be looked at the way that Bob Dylan is looked at in this article.

http://musichistorian.tumblr.com/post/2 ... len-willis

I have ZERO interest in this kind of stuff. And this is what music has become in the past 30 years or so. Even in black music, where in the past it was mainly about rhythms and harmony, hip hop is now more about each acts words than anything else.

Give me a jam like "Cold Sweat" or "Doing It To Death" with meaningless words and great grooves anytime over ANY "message" music.
Then this is the wrong forum for you, pal. I suggest you just leave, since this forum is all about what you just suggested.

Though I would like to say that, aside from your Henrik example, there are plenty of people on this forum who enjoy older music from before the Beatles/Dylan era. Nicolas, Honorio, Romain, Mindrocker, Jonathan, myself... there are probably many more who don't post regularly as well. The thing is though, all of us listen to everything, from every era, every style, every genre, and know that certain music genres and styles have a emphasis on certain musical elements.

It is all music, though, and great music at that. This is what this forum most appreciates, regardless of whether we all enjoy the exact same kinds of music or not. Henry and Moonbeam are polar opposites in terms of tastes, but they still can respect each other's views without having to belittle the other. I really don't like Kanye that much at all, and neither does, say, Jirin, but do you see either of us injecting ad hominem attacks into our expressions of dislike to his fans on this forum?

Everybody here would be willing to listen to your arguments, if you didn't: A) Be so rude and condescending in your expression of those arguments and B) Would be more open-minded to their favorite modern music.

And BTW, if you had followed the former, you may not have been as pressured by others to follow the latter. Just a suggestion though...
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Andre wrote:You might agree with this "message" music:
The opening music is too offensive for me to even get to the words.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Bruce wrote:
Jirin wrote:
I'm only interested in racial issues in regard to how they affect musical taste and musical styles.
Then, your not exactly so interested in genuine racial issues, are you? Your comments are truly amazing some times...
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Bruce wrote:
OK, then this is what you missed:

"what happened to music?
nowadays people are making songs that I don't consider "music" anymore.
its pretty much they bash competitive words with a beat.
yet artists are making millions of dollars and... i don't get it
music is dead, thats all i have to say im going to bed "
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

JimmyJazz wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Jirin wrote:
Then, your not exactly so interested in genuine racial issues, are you?
No. Although I probably have much more first hand knowledge of racial issues than most here because I was married to a black woman for 5 years.

Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Andre wrote:
Bruce wrote:
OK, then this is what you missed:

"what happened to music?
nowadays people are making songs that I don't consider "music" anymore.
its pretty much they bash competitive words with a beat.
yet artists are making millions of dollars and... i don't get it
music is dead, thats all i have to say im going to bed "
I have no interest in the meaning of song lyrics. The lyrics for me are only important phonetically.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Bruce wrote:I have no interest in the meaning of song lyrics. The lyrics for me are only important phonetically.
And I have no further interest in your posts. All the best to you.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Bruce wrote:
Your attitude is way more offensive than anything found in that song, or anything by the Velvet Underground, the Pixies, David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, and Radiohead, dude...

For God's sake, your the same guy who called Henrik,, the man who runs this site and who could ban you in a split second, a "cunt", tells the rest of us to go suck a dick, lambasted the entire nations of Canada (my home land, remember pal?) and France, jokes about suicide to people who have lost friends and family to that, makes assumptions about peoples father's and drug usage, assumes that people who like "depressing" songs or books or movies must have never been in a bad situation in their life, makes homophobic jokes on a forum with two openly gay members, basically says that men are better at making music than women, dismisses anybody who works in the fields of journalism, scholarship, teaching, and academics as being "lazy" and "incapable of getting a real job in the real world"...

I could go on about "offensive" in regards to you pal...
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Now every time I see a thread that is more than 2 pages long I know that Bruce was there.
PS : In my humble opinion, arguing with that guy is a total waste of time.
Worse than that, arguing with Bruce turns every thread into a sterile discussion around him, himself and he.
I don't want to tell anybody what to do but just think about it every time you want to answer to his
provocations.
What is the purpose of this forum : exchanging views about music or discussing Bruce's obsessions and repetitive rants about music that was better before, the VU and lyrics
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

nicolas wrote:Now every time I see a thread that is more than 2 pages long I know that Bruce was there.
PS : In my humble opinion, arguing with that guy is a total waste of time.
Agreed, Nicolas, I am officially done to talking to a freakin' wall. Sorry for dragging this conversation on.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Bruce wrote:
Jirin wrote:Right, people here don't like black genres. That's why my #1 album of all time is Are You Experienced
If you think that Jimi Hendrix did music from a black genre you are missing the point entirely.

Do you also think that Charley Pride did music from a black genre?
I certainly don't think your vote counts in determining what is 'black' and what is not. Or that, in determining the value of music, race is even a relevant distinction.

And my #2 album of all time is Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues, is he not sufficiently black to register on your melanometer?

As for your comment about only listening to music by 'People like myself'. Bob Dylan is nothing like me. Comes off as kind of an ass, to be honest. I suppose 'Music by people like me' would be brainy indie rock like the Decemberists. They're okay, certainly not something I'd want to listen to all the time. Among artists who factor highly in my favorite singles and artists of all time are Fela Kuti, Prince, Public Enemy, Outkast, Stevie Wonder, Jorge Ben, Aretha Franklin, Miles Davis, The Four Tops, The Supremes, Michael Jackson, Otis Redding, Robert Johnson, Wes Montgomery. I suppose you have a pre-cooked argument to refute their 'Blackness' or 'Latinness' as well. I can't relate to these individuals any less than I can relate to heavy metal musicians or punk rockers, or anyone else who isn't a nerd. And they are certainly not 'Token' inclusions.

Black nerds are far more relatable to me than white jocks.

Nobody's mad at you because your taste is different. There are horizontal listeners and vertical listeners, people who like to seek out a little of everything, and people who like to seek out a lot of a specific thing. You're clearly a vertical listener, and there's nothing wrong with it. But you're always going out of your way to be condescending to everybody who isn't on the same page, constantly attacking people's motives or even their racial tolerance, and the goal isn't to spread exposure for your kind of music, it's to establish your taste as superior.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I'm closing this thread, as it doesn't go anywhere meaningful. If I see any "Bruce-arguings" in other threads I will create a Bruce thread, and move the posts to that thread. Hopefully there won't be too many such posts, as I have more important things to do.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”