AMF Chart Week 16 2014

Vote for up to 5 of your favorite songs!

Poll ended at Sat May 31, 2014 7:22 pm

The Afghan Whigs - "Algiers"
5%
The Black Keys - "Fever"
6%
The Black Keys - "Weight of Love"
11%
The Both - "Milwaukee"
3%
Broken Twin - "Sun Has Gone"
3%
The Common Linnets - "Calm After the Storm"
8%
Drive-By Truckers - "Shit Shots Count"
2%
Fennesz - "Liminality"
5%
Future Islands - "Seasons (Waiting on You)"
6%
Gobby - "Aantezeksyll"
1%
Jeremy Messersmith - "Ghost"
5%
Keb' Mo' - "The Worst Is Yet to Come"
4%
Lana Del Rey - "West Coast"
9%
Margot and the Nuclear So and So's - "Hello, San Francisco"
1%
Nick Mulvey - "Cucurucu"
2%
Sia - "Chandelier"
2%
Swans - "A Little God in My Hands"
6%
Todd Terje feat. Bryan Ferry - "Johnny and Mary"
4%
tUnE-yArDs - "Water Fountain"
6%
The War on Drugs - "Under the Pressure"
8%

Total votes: 93

Setherex
Movin' On Up

AMF Chart Week 16 2014

Post by Setherex »

Welcome to Week 16 of the AMF Chart! I'm going to do my best to make this a Saturday-at-19:00GMT thing. Which is noon my time, over here in Cali'. Though I'm already a bit late this week... :( But I'll get back on my timeliness! Seems doable, right?

As part of that hopeful timeliness, the poll will end at 19:00GMT next week - or, at least, I'll count the votes at that point and make the new topic 8-)

Here are your rankings for Week 15 (number of weeks on the chart so far in parentheses):

1. Todd Terje feat. Bryan Ferry - "Johnny and Mary" (6)
2. Lana Del Rey - "West Coast" (1)
3. Jeremy Messersmith - "Ghost" (2)
4. The Afghan Whigs - "Algiers" (4)
5. Swans - "A Little God in My Hands" (6)
5. The War on Drugs - "Under Pressure" (6)
7. Fennesz - "Liminality" (3)
8. The Black Keys - "Fever" (5)
9. Future Islands - "Seasons (Waiting on You)" (6)
10. tUnE-yArDs - "Water Fountain" (7)
11. Conchita Wurst - "Rise Like a Phoenix" (1)
12. The Horrors - "In and Out of Sight" (1)
13. EMA - "Satellites" (5)
14. Douglas Dare - "London's Rose" (1)
14. Lykke Li - "Gunshot" (1)
14. tUnE-yArDs - "Wait for a Minute" (1)
17. Swans - "Oxygen" (1)
18. Emily King - "Distance" (1)
18. Kelis - "Cobbler" (1)
18. Protomartyr - "Come & See" (1)

The top 10 songs went through to this week. Only one new song will make the chart this week, but what a new song that is! Interesting that last week's chart topper was very near elimination. And, as noted a few times on the last thread, it was a very strong week, with a lot of votes for some of the bubbling-under songs.

2014 Chart-toppers by week (number of weeks atop of the chart, if more than 1, are counted next to the name):

1. Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra - "Fuck Off Get Free (For the Island of Montreal)"
2. Damien Jurado - "Silver Timothy" / Warpaint - "Love Is to Die"
3. Warpaint - "Love Is to Die" (2)
4. Damien Jurado - "Silver Timothy" (2)
5. Young Fathers - "Get Up"
6. St. Vincent - "Digital Witness" / Warpaint - "Love Is to Die" (3)
7. Sun Kil Moon - "Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes" / Warpaint - "Love Is to Die" (4)
8. The War on Drugs - "Red Eyes" / Warpaint - "Love Is to Die" (5)
9. Sun Kil Moon - "Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes" (2)
10. Sun Kil Moon - "Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes" (3)
11. Todd Terje feat. Bryan Ferry - "Johnny and Mary"
12. Sun Kil Moon - "Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes" (4) / Todd Terje feat. Bryan Ferry - "Johnny and Mary" (2)
13. Sun Kil Moon - "Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes" (5)
14. tUnE-yArDs - "Water Fountain"
15. Todd Terje feat. Bryan Ferry - "Johnny and Mary" (3)

Here is this week's 17-song Spotify chart (with the three remaining songs in Youtube clips):
Here is your 2014 AMF Chart playlist of all songs on the chart so far:

Thank you all for nominating and voting! A friendly note to all: keep nominating, obviously. But also note that you can support nominations from other voters! It will give songs a higher chance of making it into next week's chart, especially if it's a lowly secondary nomination that likely wouldn't get in otherwise. So if you see someone else nominate a song you like - second their nomination!

Best of voting :)
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Re: AMF Chart Week 16 2014

Post by DocBrown »

I'll nominate the Greyhounds' "Yours to Steal".
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

My nomination: Di-Rect - You & I
Sketch
Strange Fruit

Post by Sketch »

Even stronger than last week IMHO. :D

Nominating: Owen Pallett - The Riverbed
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Sketch wrote:Even stronger than last week IMHO. :D

Nominating: Owen Pallett - The Riverbed
Great song, good nomination!
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I would like to nominate "Monument" by Robyn and Royksopp :)
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I'd like to nominate "Zigzagging Toward The Light" by Conor Oberst.
Sketch
Strange Fruit

Post by Sketch »

acroamor wrote:I'd like to nominate "Zigzagging Toward The Light" by Conor Oberst.
Seconded.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

We need more votes and more nominations, please.

My second nomination: Morrissey - Istanbul.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

^ Just had a listen to some of the nominations, next week will be hard!

If there is space I would also like to nominate Jack White - Lazaretto.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

My nomination:

Sylvan Esso - Coffee
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

After having won 3 times and smoothly heading towards the Hall of Fame, it seems like "Johnny and Mary" is not gonna make it this week.

We should vote songs based on what we like or dislike ourselves, not based on what other people like or dislike. If my critical note from last week has anything to do with the change of votes for Terje/Ferry, than I am a little bit disappointed that a few posts on this forum can have such an influence. Even though I don't like the song, it was for sure never my intention to have it kicked out. Maybe some of the new songs are really considered better, but I am a bit worried about this now. The week is not over yet, so I can also assume that some fans of the song did not vote yet?
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Andre wrote:After having won 3 times and smoothly heading towards the Hall of Fame, it seems like "Johnny and Mary" is not gonna make it this week.

We should vote songs based on what we like or dislike ourselves, not based on what other people like or dislike. If my critical note from last week has anything to do with the change of votes for Terje/Ferry, than I am a little bit disappointed that a few posts on this forum can have such an influence. Even though I don't like the song, it was for sure never my intention to have it kicked out. Maybe some of the new songs are really considered better, but I am a bit worried about this now. The week is not over yet, so I can also assume that some fans of the song did not vote yet?
Actually I think everyone who was voting for perhaps the weakest song off Terje's album finally came to their senses. I agree with OtisRedding from a few weeks back that this remake added nothing to the original.

On the other hand, there seems to be a bit of a flatter distribution of votes the past two weeks, so I hope the weekly chart is getting more competitive. It would be great (in my opinion) if that results in more turnover... including watching former favourites fall off the chart. Even my favourites :(
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Thanks for your feedback, docbrown. Regarding the turnover, it currently looks like 3 newcomers will make it to top 10!

We still need more nominations, ladies and gentlemen.

To be on the safe side, here's my third nomination: The Men - Settle Me Down.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

DocBrown wrote:
Andre wrote:After having won 3 times and smoothly heading towards the Hall of Fame, it seems like "Johnny and Mary" is not gonna make it this week.

Actually I think everyone who was voting for perhaps the weakest song off Terje's album finally came to their senses. I agree with OtisRedding from a few weeks back that this remake added nothing to the original.

On the other hand, there seems to be a bit of a flatter distribution of votes the past two weeks, so I hope the weekly chart is getting more competitive. It would be great (in my opinion) if that results in more turnover... including watching former favourites fall off the chart. Even my favourites :(
Added nothing to the original? The song finally found its right pace!

The two most surprising dropouts from the chart might also be my top two songs of the year so far, namely "Johnny and Mary" and "Silver Timothy". I guess I have to create a personal HOF for them.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I nearly commented on "Johnny and Mary" last week, but ended up deciding against it. Now, though, I'd like to say that (while I do like the Palmer original, given that I'm a sucker for 80's synths), I think the dreamy tone of the Terje version just fits the somber lyrical content more. In fact, I found it ironic that Ferry was connected to it, since it reminded me of some of Eno's more melancholy moments (especially "By This River," although I wouldn't put it in the same class as that masterpiece). I haven't voted for it in a few weeks, since the chart has become so incredibly strong; but I have voted for it in the past, and it would seem to be a lock for my Top 40 songs of the year. I, too, was shocked that it dropped off so suddenly...

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”