Black Keys - Fever
8%
Drowners - You've Got It Wrong
3%
EMA - Satellites
7%
Fennesz - Liminality
8%
Future Islands - Seasons (Waiting On You)
6%
Jeremy Messersmith - Ghost
5%
Kasabian - Eez-eh
2%
Moss - Unilove
1%
Nick Waterhouse - This Is a Game
2%
Ought - The Weather Song
3%
Ratking - Snow Beach
2%
St. Vincent - Digital Witness
7%
Sun Kil Moon - Richard Ramirez Died Today Of Natural Causes
7%
Swans - A Little God In My Hands
8%
Thievery Corporation - Sola In Citta
3%
Todd Terje feat. Bryan Ferry - Johnny And Mary
7%
tUnE-yArDs - Water Fountain
9%
War On Drugs, The - Under The Pressure
4%
Willie Nelson - The Wall
2%

Total votes: 101

Henrik
Site Admin

AMF Chart Week 14 2014

Post by Henrik »

Welcome to the AMvision Song Contest!!!

Last week's rankings (the top 10 songs go through to this week's voting, according to the chart's rules):

1. Sun Kil Moon - Richard Ramirez Died Today Of Natural Causes
2. tUnE-yArDs - Water Fountain
3. The Afghan Whigs - Algiers
3. Fennesz - Liminality
3. Future Islands - Seasons (Waiting On You)
3. Todd Terje feat. Bryan Ferry - Johnny And Mary
7. EMA - Satellites
7. St. Vincent - Digital Witness
9. Black Keys - Fever
9. Swans - A Little God In My Hands
9. The War On Drugs - Under The Pressure
12. The Afghan Whigs - The Lottery
12. Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots
12. Kelis - Jerk Ribs
15. Strand Of Oaks - Goshen '97
16. Future - Benz Friendz (Whatchutola)
16. The Horrors - So Now You Know
16. Nickel Creek - Rest of My Life
16. Nickel Creek - You Don't Know What's Going On
16. Seinabo Sey - Younger

There was a tie at 10th place so 11 songs moved on to this week, again including only one of last week's new songs. There were only 8 nominations in last week's thread (we need more votes!!) so I took a track from the first bubbling under album in Otisredding's Mega-Critic chart.

2014 Chart-toppers by week (number of weeks atop of the chart, if more than 1, are counted next to the name):

1.Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra - Fuck Off Get Free (For The Island Of Montreal)
2.Damien Jurado - Silver Timothy / Warpaint - Love Is To Die
3.Warpaint - Love Is To Die (2)
4.Damien Jurado - Silver Timothy (2)
5.Young Fathers - Get Up
6.St. Vincent - Digital Witness/Warpaint - Love Is To Die (3)
7.Sun Kil Moon - Richard Ramirez Died Today Of Natural Causes/Warpaint - Love Is To Die (4)
8.The War On Drugs - Red Eyes/Warpaint - Love Is To Die (5)
9.Sun Kil Moon - Richard Ramirez Died Today Of Natural Causes (2)
10.Sun Kil Moon - Richard Ramirez Died Today Of Natural Causes (3)
11.Todd Terje feat. Bryan Ferry - Johnny And Mary
12.Sun Kil Moon - Richard Ramirez Died Today Of Natural Causes (4)/Todd Terje feat. Bryan Ferry - Johnny And Mary(2)
13.Sun Kil Moon - Richard Ramirez Died Today Of Natural Causes (5)

Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Re: AMF Chart Week 14 2014

Post by Andre »

Henrik,

thank you for the new list. FYI, the Thievery Corporation song is also available on Spotify (actually the whole Saudade album).

I'm gonna stick to 3 nominations per week, hopefully other members can also do some more nominations?!

This week, as you requested, my nominations are all in the category soul:
1. Emily King - Distance
2. Curtis Harding - Castaway
3. Kelis - Rumble
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

That's great, Andre!

Could you please post the link to the Saudade album on Spotify. It doesn't seem available here in Sweden, but if I get the link I think I will still be able to add the song to the playlist.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henrik wrote:That's great, Andre!

Could you please post the link to the Saudade album on Spotify. It doesn't seem available here in Sweden, but if I get the link I think I will still be able to add the song to the playlist.
I found it myself through a playlist search.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Henrik, would you like me to assist in making the AMF Chart weekly topics? If it's difficult for you to find the time to do so, I'd be happy to take over starting next week - you do so much already, haha. I only ask because I notice there's a bit of a delay in making the new topics, and I find the chart really interesting to track new songs from! :)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

You are very welcome to take over, Setherex. Thank you!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Nominations:

Conchita Wurst - Rise Like a Phoenix
The Common Linnets - Calm After the Storm
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Henrik wrote:... again including only one of last week's new songs.
Just a thought... perhaps to keep the chart rolling new tracks, maybe we need to add a limit on most-loved tracks. After x number of weeks, we could retire "Richard Ramirez", "Digital Witness", et al to the AMF Chart Hall of Fame to make way for new blood.

I'll nominate the Horrors "First Day of Spring"; Keb'Mo' "The Worst Is Yet to Come"; and Margot and the Nuclear So and So's "Hello, San Francisco" for this go-round.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

DocBrown wrote:
Just a thought... perhaps to keep the chart rolling new tracks, maybe we need to add a limit on most-loved tracks. After x number of weeks, we could retire "Richard Ramirez", "Digital Witness", et al to the AMF Chart Hall of Fame to make way for new blood.

I'll nominate the Horrors "First Day of Spring"; Keb'Mo' "The Worst Is Yet to Come"; and Margot and the Nuclear So and So's "Hello, San Francisco" for this go-round.
Great idea! I really like that the songs will not just be removed at some limit, but they will then gain a higher status as a member of the Hall of Fame. The question is what the week limit should be. I give you three alternatives and I will go with the one with the most votes.

A: 5 weeks (an argument for this could be that Rocky Raccoon has already started the 5/40 club)
B: 10 weeks (a well rounded number)
C: 15 weeks (it's already the 14th week for "Digital Witness")
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

Henrik wrote:Nominations:

Conchita Wurst - Rise Like a Fenix
I see you watched a certain European song competition yesterday Henrik :mrgreen:
Henrik wrote: Great idea! I really like that the songs will not just be removed at some limit, but they will then gain a higher status as a member of the Hall of Fame. The question is what the week limit should be. I give you three alternatives and I will go with the one with the most votes.

A: 5 weeks (an argument for this could be that Rocky Raccoon has already started the 5/40 club)
Either option A or option B sounds solid, though A seems a little short and B seems a little long... I guess Option B gets my vote, for what it's worth
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I vote option B. Five weeks does seem a little short for a Hall of Fame, while 15 weeks seems a little long to wait. I think 10 weeks would be perfect.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

I'm bored with most everything by ten weeks (damn that ADHD). I'll throw my two cents in for option B.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

I'll be a contrarian and vote for no limit. If I get tired of something enough that it's not one of my five faves, I'll no longer vote for it!
TimmyWing
Different Class

Post by TimmyWing »

I'd like to nominate Chandelier by Sia.
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

I like the idea of a 10 week limit. Although I still quite like "Richard Ramirez," I'm pretty tired of "Digital Witness" by this point.
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

First, I'll nominate Lana Del Rey's "West Coast."

Secondly, I'd say at least 10 weeks to make the Hall of Fame. If you're gonna make it into the HoF, you've got to earn it. I'd even prefer 15 weeks. Also, what about 13 weeks? I know it's not a nice roundish number, but it is where St. Vincent is now, and it's also a quarter of a year.

13 weeks (total number of votes)
St. Vincent - Digital Witness (86)

11 weeks
Sun Kil Moon - Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes (72)

Five weeks
tUnE-yArDs - Water Fountain (26)

Four weeks
Todd Terje feat. Bryan Ferry - Johnny And Mary (30)
Future Islands - Seasons (Waiting On You) (23)
Swans - A Little God In My Hands (21)
The War On Drugs - Under The Pressure (20)

Three weeks
2. Black Keys – Fever (16)
3. EMA – Satellites (16)

Two weeks
The Afghan Whigs – Algiers (12)

One week
Fennesz – Liminality (6)

5/40 club (songs that advanced at least five weeks and received 40 or more votes)
St. Vincent - Digital Witness (13/86)
Sun Kil Moon - Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes (11/72)
Warpaint - Love Is to Die (10/76)*

* Eliminated in 11th week on chart
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Rocky Raccoon wrote:First, I'll nominate Lana Del Rey's "West Coast."
Outstanding nomination, Rocky Raccoon. My second favorite song of 2014 so far...
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Personally, I'm fond of the 15 week limit. Mostly because I like giving songs a long opportunity to make their mark (and 15 weeks is going to be between three and four months with a regular schedule, seems like good enough time to me). But also because it fits pretty perfectly with how long our chart has been going so far :)

But of course, if enough people want 10 rather than 15, that's cool tooooo.
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

jamieW wrote:
Rocky Raccoon wrote:First, I'll nominate Lana Del Rey's "West Coast."
Outstanding nomination, Rocky Raccoon. My second favorite song of 2014 so far...
Cool, make sure to vote for it.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Henrik, Sweden was also well up front with a 3rd place. I had tipped Austria and Sweden to be on top, so I was quite surprised to see Holland ending in second place.

For the first time in the ESC history I even voted. Since I live in Germany I could vote for Holland and it helped because they did get 12 points from Germany :music-rockon:

In the end, the James Bond like ballad from the "woman with beard" (who is more like a "man with dress") is a well deserved winner.
Last edited by Andre on Sun May 11, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Henrik wrote:
DocBrown wrote:

Great idea! I really like that the songs will not just be removed at some limit, but they will then gain a higher status as a member of the Hall of Fame. The question is what the week limit should be. I give you three alternatives and I will go with the one with the most votes.

Good idea, DocBrown, it crossed my mind too but hesitated to post it because my opinion was not clear: Sometimes I want to see new blood too, sometimes I agree with Brad that we should be able to vote what we like as long as we like.

The concept of a Hall of Fame, however, is making me decide now for the regular new blood and option B is my favorite. 5 weeks is too short and 15 weeks will not happen often enough.

What happens with the songs in the Hall Of Fame? Are they automatically seeded for the yearly song polls, whereas other songs need to qualify?
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

The past few weeks have been frustrating with votes being split between new songs leaving the list little changed and inevitably I am bored with some of the popular choices. 5 weeks is too short. My feeling is that 12 of 13 weeks would be ideal but 15 weeks too long, so I'm voting B.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

DaveC wrote:The past few weeks have been frustrating with votes being split between new songs leaving the list little changed and inevitably I am bored with some of the popular choices. 5 weeks is too short. My feeling is that 12 of 13 weeks would be ideal but 15 weeks too long, so I'm voting B.
13 weeks is about one quarter of a year, that would also work for me (option D ?).

BTW, right now we have 59 votes and again only 1 newcomer would make it to the next week ...
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

I was also originally thinking about one calendar quarter. Henrik, will you call that concensus? :-)
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

5 weeks is enough

Do voters of songs "Richard" and "Digital" really hear the new songs proposals each week?

In my opinion, great songs have gone unnoticed because of the fixed voters to "old" songs
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

And right now we have 74 votes and not one single newcomer would make it to the next week ...

My main interest for the chart is, to get to know new interesting songs. This would actually speak for having many newcomers per week, so in that sense I should be happy ...

On the other hand, to see the same songs go further each week will, on the long run, have a negative effect on our motivation to keep voting. It is getting pretty boring ...

I have been thinking of two groups of songs, one group with 10 newcomers (the "new songs" group) and one group of 10 established songs (the "old songs" group). Each week 5 songs from the new songs group would qualify and 5 songs from the old songs group. This will not solve our problem completely, but at least keep new blood coming in.

And the only thing we would need to change now is the rules: Not the top 10 goes through to the next week, but the best 5 newcomers and best 5 non-newcomers. This can still be organized together with a Hall of Fame, to avoid that songs stay in the best 5 forever.
Last edited by Andre on Mon May 12, 2014 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
tombeet
Strange Fruit

Post by tombeet »

I will says 12 weeks (roughly 3 months) is reasonable.

And I'll suggest each voters can only have 3 votes, by that way they don't have enough option to automatically vote for "old" songs
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Otisredding wrote:5 weeks is enough

Do voters of songs "Richard" and "Digital" really hear the new songs proposals each week?

In my opinion, great songs have gone unnoticed because of the fixed voters to "old" songs
I can't speak for everyone, but I hope this isn't happening. One of the things I look forward to each week is listening to the new songs; although many of my new favorites haven't made it through. (For example, "The Lottery" by The Afghan Whigs last week.) If I'm having trouble deciding between a couple of songs, I usually go with the newer one, figuring the older song already had a good run.

With that said, I will admit to being a huge fan of "Richard," and have voted for it every week. Conversely, I've never voted for "Digital Witness," which definitely isn't one of my favorites off the St. Vincent album.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I think the issue with letting things last too long is that the general consensus favorites will pretty quickly keep the recurring spots. If, say, Digital Witness ends up being the most popular song on the board for the year, it will hang on forever. As we get deeper into the year, the more and more stacked the list will get, making it ever harder for a new song to break into the top 10. Coming back in the very first week is a hundred times easier than coming back now.
TimmyWing
Different Class

Post by TimmyWing »

I'd just like to say thanks to whoever nominated and voted for Under the Pressure, I'm completely obsessed! Shame it doesn't look like it'll make it to next week though.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

TimmyWing wrote:I'd just like to say thanks to whoever nominated and voted for Under the Pressure, I'm completely obsessed! Shame it doesn't look like it'll make it to next week though.
After two other songs from the album had already been in this chart, I nominated Under the Pressure, so sorry to have caused the obsession :)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Luke JR68 wrote:

I see you watched a certain European song competition yesterday Henrik :mrgreen:
Yes, but the reason for my nominations is that I genuinely think they are great songs. They are up there with Shirley Bassey and Plant & Krauss.

Edit 1: The Eurovision Song Contest has never been better than this year, and I think the results were perfect with Austria, The Netherlands and Sweden as the top 3. I slightly prefer Ace Wilder's totally different "Busy Doin' Nothin'" (which I nominated for week 7, and only got my vote) to Sanna Nielsen's "Undo" though. "Undo" won the Swedish competition with 2 measly points. It would have been interesting to see where "Busy Doin' Nothin'" had ended up in ESC.

Edit 2: But the ESC song that might be most likely to get some love in this forum is Finland's Softengine with "Something Better", which sounds like another male band the Brits can never get too much of.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I vote for 10 weeks maximum on the chart. I think this alternative won, but 13 weeks also got several votes even though it wasn't one of the original options.

With the results this week where no new songs will be moving on, which means only two songs moving on in the last three weeks, I really think 10 weeks is preferable. I hope it's alright with everyone.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”