New Unacclaimed?

whuntva
Keep On Movin'

New Unacclaimed?

Post by whuntva »

I remember back on the old forums c.2010 or 2011. I was just "W" back then. There was a tournament of songs unlisted on AM as either albums or songs. But I don't remember if or when the final was resolved. I loved it though, as I was introduced to new music and artists as well as have a new appreciation for artists I hadn't previously known much about.

But I would love a Round 2. With a fresh list and a fresh take on the tournament.

Who's up for another? Same format? Different? More songs? Fewer? Let me know and we can get started.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: New Unacclaimed?

Post by Jirin »

I'd be in favor of that, but I'd definitely go for single elimination instead of double elimination this time.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Alright. I could understand the logic behind double-elimination, but it dragged the tournament way too long and it was flawed in how it matched songs up.

I have my own idea. It's a bit weird, but I like it. Start with 64, though any base number will do. Arrange into four groups of 16 and when we get to the final four, it is no longer single elimination. It is ranked with first place getting four points and last only getting one. Winner is the song with the most points at the end.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Based on the 2012 all-time songs poll, I think we can declare "Sinnerman" to be the Unacclaimed champion. I'd be all for a new Unacclaimed game, but would the songs on the list of 4000+ songs to be added to the next update (including "Sinnerman") be eligible or not?
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

OOOH thank you for reminding me, Ron. I guess we should probably wait until the next update goes up. That sounds like a fair compromise.

Also, nothing from the past tournament should be eligible. But you'd have to dig around the old forums for it.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I really liked this tournament. I thought it was one of the more interesting ideas on the forum, and I discovered several new favorites through it (Mindrocker's nominee "Hilly Fields" is one that jumps out). I'm all in favor of a 64 song, single elimination bracket.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

I'm glad to see interest in another version of this game!

I agree that the double elimination format didn't quite work - I wanted to avoid a situation where a great song was eliminated early just because it happened to be in the same bracket as another great song. As all of the songs were without acclaim, I had no way of forecasting or seeding the field. The losers' bracket matches suffered from low participation, though. I think a World Cup format might work, if you're willing to consider it: have the songs placed in pods of 4 in which the top 2 advance to a single-elimination tournament.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I would definitely be up for another round of this!

Here's the link to the original poll: http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/ ... 0&cmd=show

I see that Game Theory was in the original poll. I guess I'll have to keep that streak alive. :D
Last edited by Listyguy on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I think a format where you're doing multiple different matches for the same songs would suffer from the same issues as the double elimination. But if we want to avoid bad matchups taking the best songs out early we can do it this way: Four songs in a matchup, and the top two advance to the next round.

The World Cup format works well in a system where you play a different song from the same artist every week, but if it's the same songs playing in the same matchups it would just cause a lot of repetition fatigue.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Yep. And World Cup format means that after Group Play, we can conveniently "seed" the songs in the playoff (1-4).
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I may be alone in this, but I think the most fun of this game is to nominate songs, and to listen to all the songs in the first round. Then I want to get to nominate new songs again...

Therefore I suggest a very quick game, with groups of four, where only the winner continue to the next round. We could have 64 songs to begin with and the winner would be decided already after 3 rounds (64-16-4).
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Alright, I came back to post.

Update is live.

It is time to play.

First, we have to decide a format.

Options Proposed:
I: Single-elimination all the way through
II: Single-elimination until Final Four Group Stage
III: World Cup (Group Ranking 4-1 pts. Top Two in each group advance)
IV: Group-eliminate half each round

Once we agree on this, we can nominate songs. For me, keeping the number at 64 is reasonable.

Remember, It cannot be a song OR album listed on AM, THIS INCLUDES BUBBLING UNDER! If it is from a re-release of an acclaimed album not on the original, it's fair game, though. This happened last time.

Have fun!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

III or IV
Chilton
Different Class

Post by Chilton »

I would go with III or IV as well
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

For a fifth option, there's also Henrik's suggestion of having groups of 4, with only 1 per group moving on to the next round (64-16-4).
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

I or III both sound good
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

I really like the sound of III
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

This sounds interesting, but I really don't get the voting system here, so I also don't really understand the choices we have. Is it the same system that was used in the current US artist game?

Anyway, I don't have the most original taste on the forums here, but curiously I have three songs in my all time top 10 that would qualify for this game. It'll be interesting to see how my selection would fare and what others select.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

No real voting system. I'm just looking to see what everyone would prefer.

Most people seem partial to World Cup, so I think I'd like that. Basically, it goeth thusly. We have groups of four, and they are ranked in votes. "Users would give four points for the favorite, one for the least favorite. Two with the most points at the end advance and the next round is all single elimination. It's not quite the US artists, that was single-elimination throughout. It is designed so there are no rematches and it's quick and easy.

As a special bonus, I thought of giving the groups a theme name. Don't ask what it is, it's a surprise.

Also, unlike last time, you are not required to comment on your selections. Some people may not have time for that.

I kinda want to start the nominating stage around Saturday. We'll have anywhere between 32-64 songs picked. One nomination per user for the first go around, but If we don't hit any of those benchmarks, like if we have 26 or even 38 songs, we can extend it and you may nominate another.
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

Good idea. That "unnaclaimed song tournament" has been one of the best games we've done here. And, like Henrik said, the best part is to nominate the tracks and listen to all the participant songs. Reading everybody's opinions is also another part of the fun. So, even tough comments might not be mandatory, it would be much more interesting if people explained their choices.
I liked much last game's criteria of a double-elimination system for each song; it seemed more fair. Among these possibilities, though, numbers III and IV also sound good to me.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”