Vote for your favorite 5 songs

Poll ended at Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:34 pm

Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues
9%
Alcest - Opale
No votes
Katy B - Crying for No Reason
2%
Timothy Bloom - Stand in the Way (Of My Love)
4%
Mac DeMarco - Passing Out Pieces
1%
Have a Nice Life - Burial Society
4%
iamamiwhoami - Fountain
9%
Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings - Retreat!
4%
Damien Jurado - Silver Timothy
9%
James Vincent McMorrow - Cavalier
3%
Mogwai - No Medicine for Regret
8%
Angel Olsen - Hi-Five
3%
Real Estate - Talking Backwards
5%
Bruce Springsteen - High Hopes
1%
St. Vincent - Digital Witness
9%
John Talabot - 08-01
2%
Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra - Fuck Off Get Free (For the Island of Montreal)
11%
Trust - Rescue, Mister
2%
Warpaint - Love Is to Die
7%
Wild Beasts - Wanderlust
5%

Total votes: 91

Henrik
Site Admin

AMF Chart!

Post by Henrik »

Welcome to a test of an Acclaimed Music Forum Chart!

As you can see above, the poll runs till 01 Feb 2014, XX:34 and you may select up to 5 songs.

I am thinking that this could be a recurring feature. To begin with, I have chosen 20 songs that have been discussed recently in the forum, or are in the top of RYM's 2014 chart. But after this test, I'm thinking that the top 10 (based on the results) and 10 new songs (based on nominations in the current thread and songs from new albums on otisredding's Mega-Critic Chart) will form every following chart.

During this test week, we could first of all discuss if is this a good idea. Does it sound like fun? Do we have time for this, given all other polls we have? I think it would be great way to discover new music and it would be great if a chart like this could live on for a very long time. Perhaps it could become a popular feature and recruit new forum members. But I am aware that the most games are far most popular at the beginning and then the popularity usually fade out rather quickly.

If we think it is a good idea, we could also discuss the following:
- Are others willing to take over and set up new voting threads? It could be a circulating job.
- Should it be a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly feature?
- 20 options/songs is the maximum. Is this good, or is it too many?
- My suggestion that 10 songs move on to the next round, is it good, too few or too many?
- How many songs should we be allowed to vote for? I chose 5 for the test. Should it be higher?
- Should we include songs from new albums on otisredding's Mega-Critic Chart? Should they have priority over nominations from members?
- Should the first nominations or a random selection of nominations be included in the next voting round? I suggest that if a song is nominated by two people it always gets priority.
- How old songs should be allowed for nominations?
- Should nominations of songs that have already been in a voting round be allowed?
- How do we solve ties at 10th place? My suggestion here would be to include or exclude all of them depending on if they have x votes or more, where x is determined from the voting turnout of the test week.
- What should happen if there aren't 10 nominated songs?

Listen to the songs!

Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Re: AMF Chart!

Post by jamieW »

I'll have to give some thought to the questions you asked, but I do think it's an intriguing idea (though I would suggest only 10 songs if it's weekly?). I'm shocked that I don't know (or remember) any of the songs on this list, which means I'd better get to listening!
jimmyj
Strange Fruit

Post by jimmyj »

I think this is a great idea. I will go through the questions and try to help in any way I can.
guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Post by guigs2910 »

Henrik wrote:If we think it is a good idea, we could also discuss the following:
- Are others willing to take over and set up new voting threads? It could be a circulating job.
- Should it be a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly feature?
- 20 options/songs is the maximum. Is this good, or is it too many?
- My suggestion that 10 songs move on to the next round, is it good, too few or too many?
- How many songs should we be allowed to vote for? I chose 5 for the test. Should it be higher?
- Should we include songs from new albums on otisredding's Mega-Critic Chart? Should they have priority over nominations from members?
- Should the first nominations or a random selection of nominations be included in the next voting round? I suggest that if a song is nominated by two people it always gets priority.
- How old songs should be allowed for nominations?
- Should nominations of songs that have already been in a voting round be allowed?
- How do we solve ties at 10th place? My suggestion here would be to include or exclude all of them depending on if they have x votes or more, where x is determined from the voting turnout of the test week.
- What should happen if there aren't 10 nominated songs?
- I am willing to. I think it could be a great new addition to this forum. And since I am very into songs and singles (and also because I have to be updated about new songs, because of the weekly column I write for a friend's website), I think I have what it takes to create some threads.
-Weekly. That's the best part, for me.
-20 songs may seem like a bit too much, but only if few people cast votes. If the thread get some more followers, I believe the more options, the better.
-I think 10 songs moving on is the perfect count (for 20 songs).
-I think that people nominating up to 5 songs, which is 25% , is a good number. This way, people can't vote for all of them freely, but still get to vote for their favorites, probably leaving only the not-so-favorites out.
-I think we should include songs from new acclaimed albums on the MegaCritic chart. I think priorities should be decided to who is setting up the new thread.
-I believe that the person responsible for the next thread should check the nominations and see the ones that people are wanting to put into the voting. The criteria is up to the thread creator (but a criteria that pays attention to the most wanted ones).
-Only new songs are allowed, so I think that after its release, it should be available for nominations up to ... 2 months? Obviously every case is different. But I think that after 2 months the freshness is gone and if it still hasn't enterede the voting thread, it probably won't enter anymore.
-I don't think so. If it was already eliminated is becaus it wasn't that popular. I mean, I don't know. Maybe, in case its popularity suddenly increases later, and more poeple find out the track is actually quite good and worth it. Once again, every case is different.
-I think that your suggestion is good. But the song with the least weeks inside the voting could have priority, since the one with more weeks is more likely to bow out, in my opinion.
-Bring the ones that were nominated to the next round and add more than 10 new ones on the next thread. For example, if only 8 songs get nominated, the next forum member organizing the thread should choose 12 new nominations to compete.

I hope I have helped Henrik!
Immerse your soul in love. No matter how it ends, no matter how it starts.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks guigs2910, it's awesome that you want to step in!

We also seem to agree on basically everything. I like your suggestion to give priority to songs with fewer weeks on the chart, in the case of ties at 10th place. I'm not sure about your answer to the last question though. There will always be ten songs moving on to the next round, right? And there can never be more than 20 songs to vote for, so I don't see the need to add another 12 songs at any time.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Not so many votes yet, but there are still many days to vote. I'm still listening myself.

And please go ahead and nominate new songs for the next round!
guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Post by guigs2910 »

Henrik, I'm Sorry. I didn't get that last quetion correctly. Re-reading it now, I think that if there aren't 10 new nominees, then we should introduce then in the next week's round of voting, alongside with the ones that received more votes. What I mean is: if there are only 8 nominations, the 12 best songs in the voting proceed.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Henrik - I love this idea (I voted the day it came out after burning through your playlist). I believe you & guigs are on the right track and will support your decisions regardless. I think a carry-over of 10 for 20 per week is perfect, love the 2-month guideline (though perhaps there will be exceptions a la Parquet Courts, which is fine), and I don't see a need for bringing old songs back once they've been "ejected."

Looking forward to the next batch!
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I've cast my five votes. A really strong, eclectic group of songs (but then I guess that was the point!). I look forward to seeing the final results and where we go from here...
StationToStation
Start Me Up

Post by StationToStation »

Just voted, awesome idea! Count me in for future charts!
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

I found this idea excellent. And it will be for sure a very good game in this website. :happy-partydance:

I just see a little "problem" with this, in the end of the year, the risk of a drop of variety in our songs lists. If we all listen the songs porposed here, there are high possibility we put great songs found in this game in our own lists. And I have to say, I love discovering songs of the other forumers. Except this little thing, I'm sure we'll have fun.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Romain wrote:I found this idea excellent. And it will be for sure a very good game in this website. :happy-partydance:

I just see a little "problem" with this, in the end of the year, the risk of a drop of variety in our songs lists. If we all listen the songs porposed here, there are high possibility we put great songs found in this game in our own lists. And I have to say, I love discovering songs of the other forumers. Except this little thing, I'm sure we'll have fun.
Our EOY songs list might be more predictable, but might also be more varied across genres, because of exposure to various styles in this chart.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Next week's chart will include songs from East India Youth, Stephen Malkmus, Actress and Broken Bells, as they appeared in the Mega-Critic Chart. We need 6 more nominations so keep 'em coming!

This week's current standings, with 1,5 days until the voting closes:
1. Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues 7
1. iamamiwhoami - Fountain 7
1. St. Vincent - Digital Witness 7
1. Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra - Fuck Off Get Free (For the Island of Montreal) 7
5. Damien Jurado - Silver Timothy 4
5. Mogwai - No Medicine for Regret 4
5. Real Estate - Talking Backwards 4
5. Wild Beasts - Wanderlust 4
9. Timothy Bloom - Stand in the Way (Of My Love) 3
9. Have a Nice Life - Burial Society 3
9. James Vincent McMorrow - Cavalier 3
9. Angel Olsen - Hi-Five
9. Warpaint - Love Is to Die
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

On the recent Pitchfork's Best New Music I really like Cloud Nothings - I'm Not Part of Me (unsurprisingly), Holly Herndon - Chorus, Perfect Pussy's Driver and Sevendeaths - All Night Graves. The strange piece of noise/drone/synth by Sevendeaths might be my favorite but I guess Cloud Nothings would be a slightly more fitting contestant.

Otherwise I read a lot of buzz around the new A Sunny Day in Glasgow song, though it's not really my cup of tea.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I suggest that everyone ranks his nominations, and that everyone's first nomination is picked first, then the second, etc., just like the nominations in the Moderately Acclaimed Album game.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I also suggest that the new list of songs is up sometime during Mondays, and the voting closes sometime during Sundays, with one day for preparations for the next week.

guigs2910, do you want to present the next week's chart on Monday?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Nomination from DocBrown, sent to me by PM.

"Wish I didn't" by Elizabeth & the Catapult
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz9po08Wkqk
guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Post by guigs2910 »

Henrik, I can do it. Just tell me which songs do you want to put from the MegaCritic chart, and when the current thread will really end. I just don't know how to create a spotify playlist since I don't use Spotify. But I can leave youtube links.

And here's my nomination for the next thread:

Ben's My Friend - Sun Kil Moon
tfguenther
The Only Way Is Up

Post by tfguenther »

Is it possible to nominate more than one song from an album?
If so I would like to nominate "What we loved was not enough" - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Interesting idea! Do the nominations have to be new songs?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

tfguenther wrote:Is it possible to nominate more than one song from an album?
If so I would like to nominate "What we loved was not enough" - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra.
Sure!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Moonbeam wrote:Interesting idea! Do the nominations have to be new songs?
Yes. Less than 2 months old, or older but basically unknown when it was released.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

OK, how about Chromeo's "Over Your Shoulder"?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Actually, guigs2910 suggested 2 months and that's the only suggestion so far, but I think we could have a bigger window, so for me the Chromeo song (a little more than 3 months old) is not a problem.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

guigs2910 wrote:Henrik, I can do it. Just tell me which songs do you want to put from the MegaCritic chart, and when the current thread will really end. I just don't know how to create a spotify playlist since I don't use Spotify. But I can leave youtube links.

And here's my nomination for the next thread:

Ben's My Friend - Sun Kil Moon
I recommend that you start using Spotify then. You won't regret it... ;)
But I can also make a Spotify list for each week.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Final standings:

1. Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra - Fuck Off Get Free (For the Island of Montreal), 10
2. Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues, 8
2. iamamiwhoami - Fountain, 8
2. Damien Jurado - Silver Timothy, 8
2. St. Vincent - Digital Witness, 8
6. Mogwai - No Medicine for Regret, 7
7. Warpaint - Love Is to Die, 6
8. Real Estate - Talking Backwards, 5
8. Wild Beasts - Wanderlust, 5
10. Timothy Bloom - Stand in the Way (Of My Love), 4
10. Have a Nice Life - Burial Society, 4
10. Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings - Retreat!, 4
13. James Vincent McMorrow - Cavalier, 3
13. Angel Olsen - Hi-Five, 3
15. Katy B - Crying for No Reason, 2
15. John Talabot - 08-01, 2
15. Trust - Rescue, Mister, 2
18. Mac DeMarco - Passing Out Pieces, 1
18. Bruce Springsteen - High Hopes, 1
20. Alcest - Opale, 0

guigs2910, this is your call since you will host the next week's chart, but since there are three songs tied at 10th place, and it's the first week in the chart for all of them, I suggest that twelve songs move on to next week, together with four songs from albums in the Megacritic chart and the primary choice from the first four people who nominated songs in this thread. In that case the 20 songs will be:

Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra - Fuck Off Get Free (For the Island of Montreal)
Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues
iamamiwhoami - Fountain
Damien Jurado - Silver Timothy
St. Vincent - Digital Witness
Mogwai - No Medicine for Regret
Warpaint - Love Is to Die
Real Estate - Talking Backwards
Wild Beasts - Wanderlust
Timothy Bloom - Stand in the Way (Of My Love)
Have a Nice Life - Burial Society
Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings - Retreat!

East India Youth - Looking for Someone
Stephen Malkmus And The Jicks - Lariat
Actress - Gaze
Broken Bells - After the Disco

Cloud Nothings - I'm Not Part of Me
Elizabeth & the Catapult - Wish I Didn't
Sun Kil Moon - Ben's My Friend
Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra - What We Loved Was Not Enough

Thanks everyone for participating!
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I missed this first one, but it seems like fun!
guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Post by guigs2910 »

Henrik,

My only question before creating the new thread is: Will each new voting round have a new forum thread, or will we use the same thread for all new rounds?

Just give me the answer and I'll create the poll (and if it's in the same thread, how do I replace you're poll for the new one?) Thank you!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

guigs2910 wrote:Henrik,

My only question before creating the new thread is: Will each new voting round have a new forum thread, or will we use the same thread for all new rounds?

Just give me the answer and I'll create the poll (and if it's in the same thread, how do I replace you're poll for the new one?) Thank you!
You almost answered the question yourself. It does not seem possible to create a second poll in the same thread, so if we're using this format (which I think is a good idea), we need to have a new thread each week. We should also have a "mother thread" with links to each week, that I will link to from the AM home page (just like it is set up for the Megacritic Chart) and hopefully we'll get even more voters that way.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”