Post by dumbangel »

Favourites so far :
Ed Harcourt - "Time Of Dust"
Temples - "Sun Structures"
guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Re: Albums of 2014

Post by guigs2910 »

Mighty Blues wrote: Isaiah Rashad's Cilvia Demo has also impressed me. I think he's definitely got potential to do a bit of a kendrick over the next couple of years. One to watch for sure.
What a surprise to see someone that has already listened to it too, since it was such a low profile release! And I just came here to talk about it. Isaiah Rashad's "Cilvia Demo", while not a perfect album, it's full of promise. For a debut, I thought it was quite impressive, the way he has confidence to rhyme over that beautiful production and beats. He's still failing on some lyrical parts, but overall, the attitude is there, and there are lots of excellent moments on this one. I truly recommend!
Immerse your soul in love. No matter how it ends, no matter how it starts.
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

There is currently 9 albums with a score higher than an 8 on Any Decent Music's Top Rated New Albums chart....that's remarkable. I don't know if it's really been that great of a month, or if the critics are just going a bit bonkers.
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Their boards do seem to raving about what's happening. It might be too soon to start celebrating yet as they'll be more reviews for those albums next week. We'll see how they fair after that...

...Out of curiosity, which aggregator(s) do each of you favour the most, if any? Album of the Year, Any Decent Music and Metacritic all get an occasional look-in here, though I wouldn't call myself a devoted follower of any of them.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

Matski wrote:Their boards do seem to raving about what's happening. It might be too soon to start celebrating yet as they'll be more reviews for those albums next week. We'll see how they fair after that...

...Out of curiosity, which aggregator(s) do each of you favour the most, if any? Album of the Year, Any Decent Music and Metacritic all get an occasional look-in here, though I wouldn't call myself a devoted follower of any of them.
I definitely enjoy ADM the most just because of it's format. Plus the discussions there always seem to be ver intelligent and respectable. I use meteoritic the least of the three. I do enjoy Album of the Year for it's recommendation system.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

I use a combo of Any Decent Music, Metacritic and AM's very own MegaCritic. I never rely on just one. Historically, I have found that I can expect to enjoy an album if it has a score of 80+ with 20+ reviews on all of those charts.

Note: as of now, no album of 2014 has done that, but I expect that to change on the next Megacritic update.

If I had to choose one, it would be AnyDecentMusic, but only because I like their system of adding albums early (often way before Metacritic). Many times ADM was the first place where I realized a particular album was gonna be something special with the critics. And I like how they keep all new entries on their main, home page chart for 6 weeks. An easy way to see the best reviewed new and upcoming albums in one list.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Didn't find Damien Jurado or Sun Kil Moon that great, but I think Morning Phase by Beck is really good.
I feel like that
guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Post by guigs2910 »

Heard another great one today. That is Erich Church's "The Outsiders". Quite normal vocals and lyrics, but God, such baffling arrangements and production. Each song feels like a country rock arena hymn, all due to the excellent musical direction, that leads the normal vocals and lyrics I've mentioned before in a very beautiful path. Has some parts that, if not innovative, are very unnusual and unique.

What a great year already for country/folk, with this one, Rosanne Cash's "The RIver & The Thread", Damien Jurado's "Brothers and Sisters Of The Eternal Son" and the musical perfection, Sun Kil Moon's "Benji". 2014 is shaping up to be reaaaally satisfying!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

This has been possibly the best January and February in a long time. That's partly because the best bands don't usually release great albums in January and February, of course. But Sun Kil Moon, Quilt, Thee Silver Mt Zion, all top tier albums. And St Vincent's last two albums are in my top 300 AT (Not counting collaberations), and I haven't even heard hers yet.
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

guigs2910 wrote:Heard another great one today. That is Erich Church's "The Outsiders". Quite normal vocals and lyrics, but God, such baffling arrangements and production. Each song feels like a country rock arena hymn, all due to the excellent musical direction, that leads the normal vocals and lyrics I've mentioned before in a very beautiful path. Has some parts that, if not innovative, are very unnusual and unique.

What a great year already for country/folk, with this one, Rosanne Cash's "The RIver & The Thread", Damien Jurado's "Brothers and Sisters Of The Eternal Son" and the musical perfection, Sun Kil Moon's "Benji". 2014 is shaping up to be reaaaally satisfying!
Speaking of great country rock albums. If you like the genre, definitely check out Lydia Loveless.
guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Post by guigs2910 »

Rocky Raccoon wrote:
guigs2910 wrote:Heard another great one today. That is Erich Church's "The Outsiders". Quite normal vocals and lyrics, but God, such baffling arrangements and production. Each song feels like a country rock arena hymn, all due to the excellent musical direction, that leads the normal vocals and lyrics I've mentioned before in a very beautiful path. Has some parts that, if not innovative, are very unnusual and unique.

Speaking of great country rock albums. If you like the genre, definitely check out Lydia Loveless.
It's already on my "Albums To Listen" list. Hope it's good!
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Matski wrote:Their boards do seem to raving about what's happening. It might be too soon to start celebrating yet as they'll be more reviews for those albums next week. We'll see how they fair after that...

All three have their pros and cons. Interesting feature on Album of the Year is the Worst Albums section. Bruce Springsteen on 5th place, that's quite an achievement from the boss ...
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

Wow... The new St. Vincent album is up to a 8.7 on ADM.
I pretty much have no excuse to avoid giving it a listen :D
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Hands down, my favorite album of the year so far is Sun Kil Moon’s remarkable “Benji.” How fitting that, one day after ranting about the disturbing lyrics of Behemoth in another thread, I listen to the passionately personal and powerful songwriting of Mark Kozelek. I don’t think I’ve ever heard another album where I felt that I’ve gotten to know an artist as intimately as this one. It’s a truly staggering piece of work, and I would be stunned if another album comes along this year that emotionally affects me as deeply as this one. It's definitely a wonderful confirmation of exactly why song lyrics are so important to me.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Now that the first 2 months of 2014 are pretty much over, I can justify to myself posting another update on what I've heard-

Very Good:

1. Sun Kil Moon- Benji
2. St. Vincent- St. Vincent

Good:

3. Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra- Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything
4. Schoolboy Q- Oxymoron
5. Beck- Morning Phase
6. Phantogram- Voices
7. Against Me!- Transgender Dysphoria Blues

Alright:

8. Bruce Springsteen- High Hopes
9. Broken Bells- After the Disco

So far I'm liking 2014, but it's not off to as good of a start as 2010 or 2011 were around this time of the year. By the end of February 2010 we had excellent albums from Beach House, Vampire Weekend, Joanna Newsom, and Four Tet. And by the end of February 2011 we had excellent albums from PJ Harvey, James Blake, Destroyer, Adele, and Radiohead.
Mighty Blues
Superunknown

Post by Mighty Blues »

guigs2910 wrote:
Mighty Blues wrote: Isaiah Rashad's Cilvia Demo has also impressed me. I think he's definitely got potential to do a bit of a kendrick over the next couple of years. One to watch for sure.
What a surprise to see someone that has already listened to it too, since it was such a low profile release! And I just came here to talk about it. Isaiah Rashad's "Cilvia Demo", while not a perfect album, it's full of promise. For a debut, I thought it was quite impressive, the way he has confidence to rhyme over that beautiful production and beats. He's still failing on some lyrical parts, but overall, the attitude is there, and there are lots of excellent moments on this one. I truly recommend!
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who enjoyed it. I love rappers who are able to rap with real passion over relatively stripped down chilled production and Isaiah fits firmly in that category.

Not sure if anyone is into their house music of the soulful variety but I managed to get my hands on a copy of Moodymann's latest LP. It was featured on Gilles Peterson's show this weekend as album of the week. Highly recommended.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

The new "Skip the use" album is good. A lot of catchy songs.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

St. Vincent is already the clear winner of my year, it's an album where I have fallen in love with every track, and I would be surprised (and delighted) if something can knock it off. Strange Mercy and Love this Giant are topping their respective years, Annie is by far my favourite artist of the 2010s!

1. St. Vincent - St. Vincent

2. Damian Jurado - Brothers And Sisters
3. Young Fathers - Dead
4. Broken Bells - After The Disco
5. Beck - Morning Phase

6. Quilt - Held In Splendour
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

I'm ready for my first top ten of the year:

1. Sun Kil Moon - Benji
2. Damien Jurado - Brothers and Sisters of the Eternal Son
3. Tinariwen - Emmaar
4. East India Youth - Total Strife Forever
5. Bibio - The Green
6. Warpaint - Warpaint
7. St. Vincent - St. Vincent
8. Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra - Fuck off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything
9. Beck - Morning Phase
10. Actress - Ghettoville
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

does anyone know where I can hear the new Wild Beasts album?
guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Post by guigs2910 »

2014 is just brilliant up until now! This week I heard 3 very strong albums: -Angel Olsen's "Burn Your Fire For No Witness", which is quite stunning, even though it has some minor flaws, it made me anxious to see where the artist can go in uture albums; - Young Fathers' "Dead", an excellent, attention demanding hell of an album, with also some minor flaws and a tiny bit directionless, but the passion of the group that's felt in the vocals and the beats sort of make up for that; -and Marissa Nadler's "July", an album I believe it's being very underated, because it is so focused and so constant in its excellence, comprised of very mature love lyrics and vocal performance, alongside a sweet atmosphere of loss and disappointment. Loved the 3 of them!
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Haven't seen the Neneh Cherry's new album on any personal lists here or mentioned by anybody. I just listened to it and it's quite excellent. Firmly in my top 3 of the year behind Sun Kil Moon and St. Vincent. Who knew she would be such a good match with the electronic soundscapes of Four Tet? Kind of like a 21st century Maxinquaye.

I also second guigs's recommendation for Angel Olsen.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Well I posted a link to Neneh Cherry's new album, available on stream via NPR on the first page of this topic and we've also briefly talked about it in Otissredding's MCCh thread. Since then, the Guardian started streaming it too. Good to see someone else enjoying it.

;)
Mattceinicram wrote:does anyone know where I can hear the new Wild Beasts album?
Still not up on Spotify yet, which is disappointing. This account on Youtube seems to have the individual tracks if you're okay with using their site and streaming an album individual song-by-song.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

Matski wrote:
Mattceinicram wrote:does anyone know where I can hear the new Wild Beasts album?
Still not up on Spotify yet, which is disappointing. This account on Youtube seems to have the individual tracks if you're okay with using their site and streaming an album individual song-by-song.
I'm listening to this stream now. Thanks!
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

You can on de streaming service of the Dutch radio programme '3 voor 12'. If you go to http://3voor12.vpro.nl/luisterpaal/ you can select it their, but I'd recommend to download their app as well: 3 voor12 luisterpaal. Lot of good albums streaming their now.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

What albums that are due to be released this year are you all looking forward to? These are the ones that are on my radar-

Real Estate- Atlas- March 4th
Elbow- The Take Off and Landing Of Everything- March 10th
Metronomy- Love Letters- March 10th
Cloud Nothings- Here and Nowhere Else- April 1st
Todd Terje- It’s Album Time- April 8th
LCD Soundsystem- The Long Goodbye: LCD Soundsystem Live at Madison Square Garden- April 19th
Damon Albarn- Everyday Robots- April 28th

Azealia Banks- Broke With Expensive Taste- TBA
Burial- TBA- TBA
Coldplay- TBA- TBA
Death Grips- TBA- TBA
Flying Lotus- TBA- TBA
Frank Ocean- TBA- TBA
Gnarls Barkley- TBA- TBA
Kanye West- TBA- TBA
Kendrick Lamar- TBA- TBA
Lana Del Rey- Ultraviolence- TBA
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart- Days of Abandon- TBA
Panda Bear- Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper- TBA
Run the Jewels- TBA- TBA
U2- TBA- TBA
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Isn't Kristeen Young coming out with something? She is extremely popular in the UK. With all the women over the years that have been influenced by Kate Bush especially as of late, she is spot on as close to sounding like Bush as anyone will EVER get and that's saying something cause Tori was ambushed with Kate Bush comparisons.

Also looking forward to the next Pains of Being Pure at Heart. What the heck happened to them? Their last album got even better reviews than their debut yet came EOY time they were left off just about everybody's list/poll. It was such a solid sophomore effort and it seemed to have disappeared off the face of the Earth and we haven't heard from them since. They deserved so much better. They didn't suffer from a sophomore slump like so many of their contemporaries, they put out great EPs and remixes of their classics yet their popularity seems to have declined significantly. :?
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I'm really liking Beck's new album Morning Phase. It's at least his best since Sea Change if not every bit as good as his early albums. It reminds me of his style from Mutations, only with a little of Sea Change thrown in.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

New tUnE-yArDs coming May 6. Life just got colorful.

Really cut back on new listening this month, but the Drive-By Truckers "English Oceans" is their best album since "Decoration Day". Mike Cooley has returned from (apparently) a seven-year long writers' block and trades tune for tune with Paterson Hood. The only thing that could have improved this album is if Jason Isbell had contributed Elephant, Super Eight and Travelling Alone.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I like the new DBT but I would say it's their best since Brighter Than Creation's Dark, because I like that album even better than Decoration Day, and I miss Shonna Tucker.

My top 10 (Not including Neneh Cherry and DBT yet because I've only heard those once each):

1. Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire For No Witnesses
2. Sun Kil Moon - Benji
3. Beck - Morning Phase
4. Quilt - Held In Splendor
5. Thee Silver Mt Zion Orchestra - Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light On Everything
6. St. Vincent - St. Vincent
7. Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - Give The People What They Want
8. Bibio - The Green EP
9. Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Piano Nights
10. Damien Jurado - Brothers and Sisters of the Eternal Sun
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Here's what I listened to in February.

Phantogram – Voices. Saw them opening a festival last year. Great band, great album; for fans of Sleigh Bells’ first album, or Crystal Castles. 8.4

Blood Red Shoes – S/T. I must be the only fan here for the Brighton garage rock scene with three big releases coming up; Band of Skulls, Fear of Men and Blood Red Shoes. In fact the only hype I’ve found for this album was at NME. A Solid 8.0

Drive – By Truckers – English Oceans 7.5
Nina Persson – Animal Heart 7.5
Nicole Atkins – Slow Phazer 7.3
Cibo Matto – Hotel Valentine 7.2 Quirky tour of a haunted hotel.
Cymbals – The Age of Fracture 7.0
Rosanne Cash – The River & the Thread 7.0 Good, not great. Might grow on me.
Real Estate – Atlas 6.8
East India Youth - Total Strife Forever 6.7
Kate Tucker & The Sons of Sweden – The Shape The Color The Feel 6.4
The Notwist – Close to the Glass 5.7

Benji by Sun Kil Moon should be right in my sweet spot; confessional singer songwriter folk rock with some interesting arrangements, beloved of critics and AM both. But after two listens, I’ve reached the conclusion that it’s just not for me. 5.5

I’m still working to come up with a rating for St. Vincent, but I’m not sure I like it as much as Strange Mercy. I’ve only listened to Beck and Neneh Cherry once, and enjoyed both, but they certainly need more attention.

Final edit of the day, I hope. Paste just directed me to Carla Bozulich's new album "Boy". On one quick listen, it will be in my top five for sure.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Yeah, thanks for reminding me about Carla Bozulich. She's been consistently getting top grades on AMG too and as such I've been meaning to check this out.
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

February wrap up
Adding February albums, which are bolded.

Album of the year contender
St. Vincent - I like Actor and Strange Mercy well enough, but don't fully connect because they're a little uneven to me. I have no such issues with this one. I get to go see her on March 26.

Top 20 albums
Thee Silver Mt. Zion Orchestra
Beck - Yeah, it's a lot like Sea Change, the happier version, and that's a good thing. It might be his best since then, too. Although I'm partial to Modern Guilt.

Top 20 albums contenders
Timothy Bloom
Against Me!
Angel Olsen - I dig the lo-fi buzz and quieter, more-acoustic moments. I think she's grown as a singer, too. She sounds less affected.
Lydia Loveless - Some really good country rock from this young gal. I like it a little better than Rosanne Cash's release in the same category because she mixes it up and rocks more.

Good
Rosanne Cash
Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks
Damien Jurado
Lake Street Dive - It's got a cool, jazzy vibe to this mostly mainstream pop music. What makes it good is the solid songwriting and a singer who's got some golden pipes.
Tinariwen - I didn't know traditional Saharan music had electric guitars. Joking aside, it's a pretty cool album that does start to sound a little the same toward the end.
Broken Bells - Rinse and repeat. Not bad considering I like the first album, but I'm not finding as many memorable songs this time out.
Sun Kil Moon - There are certainly some emotionally resonate moments on this album, and overall it's good. But there are some valleys, and after awhile he's mining the same musical and lyrical acreage too often. To be blunt, some of his vignettes just aren't that interesting.

Así así
Warpaint
Cibo Matto - I tried, but I really couldn't get into it that much.

Bad
Nothing to report yet
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

St Vincent is great live, I saw her last week.

I think her new album is really good. The reason I don't put it in the same league as Actor and Strange Mercy is I think the free flowing weirdness of those two albums suits her better than the 1970s Brian Eno style of her new one.
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

Good to know. Looking forward to it even more now.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

DocBrown and Matski, thanks for getting me into Carla Bozulich. She's fantastic, and so is her new album. For what it's worth, the few reviews it has gotten have been great (it's at 93 on Metacritic with 4 reviews). But this is one of those cases, kind of like Anais Mitchell, where I just don't get why a highly talented, enjoyable musician doesn't get more attention.

Interesting trivia: her old band, The Geraldine Fibbers, contained Wilco's Nels Cline for a stretch.
guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Post by guigs2910 »

The New St. Vincent album is really good, but not excellent as the singles led me to believe... there's just a tiny spark missing on that flame for me to love, it went through a very artsy path I did not expect and even though I enjoyed, I couldn't adore. But something tells me I will wind up adoring, giving it time.
But I adooored Present tense by the Wild Beasts! Very rich, sonically textured and with beautiful lyrics. Excellent!
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Here's some recent album streams from NPR for ease:
The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
Kevin Drew - Darlings
Tycho - Awake
guigs2910 wrote:But I adooored Present tense by the Wild Beasts! Very rich, sonically textured and with beautiful lyrics. Excellent!
Yeah, Present Tense is a very worthy album to add to their oeuvre, though its underrated predecessor Smother still remains my favourite.
irreduciblekoan wrote:DocBrown and Matski, thanks for getting me into Carla Bozulich...
Ahh, you would have noticed it sooner or later. ;)

Apparently she's quite close comardes with Nels, having performed with his free-jazz band on occasions too.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

So far this year I've liked:

1. Behemoth - The Satanist
2. Beck - Morning Phase
3. Wild Beasts - Present Tense

Haven't listened to that many albums though.
I feel like that
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Mark my words. Once Todd Terje releases his debut in April, everybody is going to be going crazy over it. 9.3 from Pitchfork, 4.5/5 from AMG, etc.
Mighty Blues
Superunknown

Post by Mighty Blues »

Couldn't agree more about todd terje. Can't remember the last time I was anticipating an album this much. Inspector Norse is easily one of the songs of the decade for me.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Mighty Blues wrote:Couldn't agree more about todd terje. Can't remember the last time I was anticipating an album this much. Inspector Norse is easily one of the songs of the decade for me.
Literally everything I've heard from the album so far has been amazing. "Inspector Norse" and "Strandbar" are two absolute monsters.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Neneh Cherry - Blank Project is so good. Easily a top ten of the year contender.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

The War on Drugs new album is pretty outstanding! :D
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Mattceinicram wrote:The War on Drugs new album is pretty outstanding! :D
I agree! Very Springsteen. Although it's a full hour long, the songs seem to go by pretty quickly- an impressive feat as many of the songs are over 7 minutes long.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I'm listening to the War On Drugs album now. I'm not sure what I think.

I'm excited for a Jungle album, if one is going to be released this year - or ever.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Why not make a MCCH of AM'ers?

To do this, we need eachother that users publish their lists here valued the albums from 0 to 100 points (or 0 to 10 points).

In this thread have posted the following comments am'ers (sorry if I forgot anyone)

a) rating albums: HRS; DocBrown, Romain;

b) lists of albums: Mattceinicram: Jirin, Gillingham, NIck, granit, Andre; dumbangel; Maschine_Man; Rocky Raccoon.

If people of paragraph b) make their lists on ratings, we could have a pretty interesting Mini Chart.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

Otisredding wrote:Why not make a MCCH of AM'ers?

To do this, we need eachother that users publish their lists here valued the albums from 0 to 100 points (or 0 to 10 points).

In this thread have posted the following comments am'ers (sorry if I forgot anyone)

b) lists of albums: Mattceinicram: Jirin, Gillingham, NIck, granit, Andre; dumbangel; Maschine_Man; Rocky Raccoon.

If people of paragraph b) make their lists on ratings, we could have a pretty interesting Mini Chart.
Yeah sure, I'll try to put together a complete list with ratings and keep it updated!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I'd love to be part of that but my ranking is based on a nonparametric comparison-based algorithm similar to the one Moonbeam uses. I suppose I could find some way to scale it to ratings.

Also I'm not including all my ratings for the albums I didn't like, so I'd have to also go through and rate all the ones I've heard that I didn't think were good enough to place on my list.
guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Post by guigs2910 »

Otisredding wrote:Why not make a MCCH of AM'ers?

Otisredding, whenever it starts, please, tell me. I would love to participate. :)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”