John Lennon on "Sgt. Pepper" as a "Concept Album"

Bruce
Feeling Good

John Lennon on "Sgt. Pepper" as a "Concept Album"

Post by Bruce »

Lennon was unequivocal in stating that the songs he wrote for the album had nothing to do with the Sgt. Pepper concept, and further noted that none of the other songs did either, saying "Every other song could have been on any other album".

In spite of Lennon's statements to the contrary, the album has been widely heralded as an early and groundbreaking example of the concept album.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Re: John Lennon on "Sgt. Pepper" as a "Concept Album"

Post by PlasticRam »

Idk I think because Paul came up with the idea, at least he wrote his songs "the concept" in mind. Then there's George Harrison's song that I think could have been replaced with Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields, as it doesn't fit the album at all IMO.

Whether or not you think it's a concept album doesn't change the fact that it is one of the greatest albums of all time. Number five on my list behind Abbey Road and Revolver FWIW.

Also, if the idea of concept album is interesting to you, I'm sure you'll find many of Frank Zappa's albums top notch! :D That is referring to for ex. Piero Scaruffi agreeing with John that Sgt. Pepper isn't a concept album, and giving credit to Zappa as the creator of the idea.

One more thing, Phil Everly has died at 74. I prolly should have created its own thread, but didn't have the courage. Anyone is free to do so. The Everly Brothers were a huge influence to Simon and Garfunkel and to Beatles too somewhat. Of course they did great records themselves too, as I'm sure you'll agree, Bruce. RIP.
Edit: Oh yeah good correction Stephan. A language barrier sorta.
Last edited by PlasticRam on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I feel like that
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

PlasticRam wrote:Whether or not you think it's a concept album doesn't change the fact my opinion that it is one of the greatest albums of all time. Number five on my list behind Abbey Road and Revolver FWIW.
;)
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Stephan wrote:
PlasticRam wrote:Whether or not you think it's a concept album doesn't change the fact my opinion that it is one of the greatest albums of all time. Number five on my list behind Abbey Road and Revolver FWIW.
;)
I'm not a big album listener, bit I fully admit that "Sgt. Pepper" is much better than the sum of its parts. I also agree that dumping the Harrison song for "Fields" would have been a vast improvement. "Fields" and "Penny Lane" were supposed to be on the album, but while they were working on it EMI was clammoring for a new single and they gave them those two songs for that. George Martin has said that he now regrets not saving those two songs or the album .
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

Well, maybe "rock" concept album (and like someone else said, Zappa had The Beatles beat by about a year). But arguably, Sinatra was doing concept albums back in the '50s.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

irreduciblekoan wrote:Well, maybe "rock" concept album (and like someone else said, Zappa had The Beatles beat by about a year). But arguably, Sinatra was doing concept albums back in the '50s.
Shirley & Lee and the Heartbeats/Shep & the Limelites each did a long succesion of concept singles back then.

The Heartbeats/Shep and the Limelites had things like..

A Thousand Miles Away - 1956
500 Miles To Go - 1957
One Week From Today - 1961
Daddy's Home - 1961
What Did Daddy Do - 1962

Shirley and Lee had a story about them falling in love, then Lee proposing, then a breakup, then a reconciliation, etc...
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Woody Guthrie's 1940 album Dust Bowl Ballads sounds pretty much like a concept album to me too.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”