Review the highest ranked album you are not familiar with!

Bruce
Feeling Good

Re: Review the highest ranked album you are not familiar wit

Post by Bruce »

Next for me would be OK Computer. Should I review it?
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Bruce wrote:Next for me would be OK Computer. Should I review it?
I find that album a bit overrated. It's the Best Album Ever amongst some rock fans. If the worst that happens is that you'll take it down a peg, I say go for it :wink:
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Live in Phoenix wrote:
Bruce wrote:Next for me would be OK Computer. Should I review it?
I find that album a bit overrated. It's the Best Album Ever amongst some rock fans. If the worst that happens is that you'll take it down a peg, I say go for it :wink:
OK Computer should be much better for Bruce than Nevermind. As a fellow oldster, I guess that Bruce will find the complexity of the music a bit off-putting as well as the absence of any cheerfulness. But, hopefully Bruce will be able to progress through the entire album without too much pain.

The "noisiness" of Nevermind is not particularly pleasant for many folks whose formative years were prior to 1990. So, my advice to Bruce is to continue to stay away from Nevermind for the time being and give OK Computer a chance. He may actually want to give OK Computer more than one listen.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henry wrote:So, my advice to Bruce is to continue to stay away from Nevermind for the time being
Henry, you're kidding here, right?

I'll NEVER listen to that album again.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henry wrote:give OK Computer a chance.
Maybe after Judge Judy.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I don't think Bruce's post was obnoxious, it was just his opinion of the album.

Bruce doesn't like noisy music. No problem with that. ;)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

I'm going to listen to Pet Sounds soon. I'm already very well familiar with three songs from it, and I think you all know which ones.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I would also like to read Bruce's reviews of-

Swans- "The Seer"

Death Grips- "The Money Store"

Merzbow- "Pulse Demon"

:P
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

OK COMPUTER

1."Airbag" – 4:44

Confusing opening. The guitar parts are less hard rock than the Nirvana album. I don't care for the trance like aspects of the alternative sound. Good stereo separation on this one. It sounds like the more progressive style of rock from the late 60s and early 70s, which I did not like very much back then and nothing has changed in the last 45 years. RATING - 3

2."Paranoid Android" – 6:23

This is their supposed epic song I believe. Better opening so far. The falsetto is not exactly Clyde McPhatter-like, but not too bad. Good acoustic guitar work. The vocals seem intentionally drowned out by the music. So far this album is a lot more PROG influenced than the Nirvana album. Much better background vocals than I heard from Nirvana. I'm towards the end of the song right now and it sounds like a funeral dirge. I don't care for a lot of crazy effects on the guitar playing - RATING - 4

3."Subterranean Homesick Alien" – 4:27

Too bad it's nothing like the record that it stole its name from (that one is a 9). I suppose that Pink Floyd fans (I am NOT one) like this kind of stuff. It's just too spacy for me. RATING - 2

4."Exit Music (For a Film)" – 4:24

More PROG like stuff. Sounds like it could be from a Moody Blues album. It's starting to sound like a music score from a horror film now. Loud lower notes from some kind of synthesiser keyboard I think. RATING - 3

5."Let Down" – 4:59

I gotta think that the suicide rate among alternative fans must be through the roof. Every song seems to intentionally want to make you feel like you are losing touch with reality. This one is the worst yet - RATING - 1

6."Karma Police" – 4:21

At this point I'm hoping for something as good as "Karma Chameleon" by the Culture Club, which was not exactly a favorite of mine. But at last it had a melody and a normal strructure and was sorta happy. I get the feeling that the generation that likes this stuff must have all been looking for an escape for reality for some reason. Were you all doing valium when you were listening to these things? Singer kind of reminds me of Ray Davies artsy stuff, which I was not real big on. RATING - 2

7."Fitter Happier" – 1:57

You can't call this drivel a "song." RATING - ZERO

8."Electioneering" – 3:50

Holy shit, it actually has a sorta catchy guitar riff. Are these guys all singing at the bottom of a cliff straining to reach a microphone that is not quite close enough to them? The music isn't bad put the vocals to my ears are so fucking putrid that I can't take it - RATING - 1

9."Climbing Up the Walls" – 4:45

This album certainly has me climbing the walls alright. I'm just staggered that people see this as one of the greatest albums of all time. The vocals on this disaster sound intentionally garbled and distorted. People actually like this? If Cobain got resurrected and heard this song he'd kill himself all over again. RATING - ZERO

10."No Surprises" – 3:48

Okay, maybe some sanity is returning. I never thought I'd be begging for artsy Kinks like ballads. It's still depressing as all hell, but at least it's melodic and pretty sounding. Nice ending - RATING - 3

11."Lucky" – 4:19

I'd almost smoke a Lucky Strike cigarette if it would get me out of listening to these last two songs. More spaced out fluff - RATING - 2

12."The Tourist" – 5:24

THE LAST SONG :music-rockon: I need a few bottles of Red Bull just to stay conscious here. RATING - 1

OVERALL - This genre is the most depressing noise I have ever heard in my life. This album makes "Taps" sound like "Happy Days Are Here Again." I knew I didn't like this stuff, but listening to the ENTIRE ALBUM has given me a new perspective on just how BAD this so called music is.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

What's so bad about depressing music? Why should music only cover a narrow portion of the human experience?
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Nick wrote:What's so bad about depressing music? Why should music only cover a narrow portion of the human experience?
There's plenty of things in real life to be depressed about. When I listen to music I want to escape from that, not have it reinforced for an entire album.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bruce wrote:
Nick wrote:What's so bad about depressing music? Why should music only cover a narrow portion of the human experience?
There's plenty of things in real life to be depressed about. When I listen to music I want to escape from that, not have it reinforced for an entire album.
Unlike Henry, I wasn't surprised you liked "OK Computer" less than "Nevermind". And again, I thought your review was honest and from a personal perspective. That is until you get to your conclusion.
Bruce wrote:listening to the ENTIRE ALBUM has given me a new perspective on just how BAD this so called music is.
I wish you instead had said it has given you a new perspective on how much you dislike this type of music. Because, as you said above, it's just you who want to escape from depressing music. Lots of people don't and for them the music is fantastic.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik wrote: Because, as you said above, it's just you who want to escape from depressing music.

A depressing song is nice once in a while, but not for an entire album, no. And I don't think it's just me who feels that way, Radiohead did not exactly burn up the USA singles charts.
Henrik wrote: Lots of people don't and for them the music is fantastic.
Obviously, these are mega hit albums. Different strokes for different folks. My friend's 17 year old daughter has Radiohead as her favorite act. If I EVER played that kind of stuff around my friends in their 60s and 70s these guys would strip me naked and throw me out into the snow.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Next up for me would be "The Queen is Dead."
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Bruce wrote:Next up for me would be "The Queen is Dead."
Bruce, I will give you credit in listening to one album (Nevermind). In that you recently claimed that Nirvana did not belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, it may lend some credibility to your argument that you have actually listened to at least one of their albums. But please spare us all a one at a time summary of how much you hate everything outside your own window of experience. The game was to review the FIRST album with which you were not familiar. You have. Thank you.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Henrik wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Unlike Henry, I wasn't surprised you liked "OK Computer" less than "Nevermind". And again, I thought your review was honest and from a personal perspective. That is until you get to your conclusion.
Bruce wrote:listening to the ENTIRE ALBUM has given me a new perspective on just how BAD this so called music is.
I wish you instead had said it has given you a new perspective on how much you dislike this type of music. Because, as you said above, it's just you who want to escape from depressing music. Lots of people don't and for them the music is fantastic.
I was never particularly good at making predictions :) I was a bit surprised at Bruce's low rating of Paranoid Android which has been quite a grower for me.

Unlike my fellow oldster, I am a big prog rock fan, so perhaps I was too enthusiastic about Bruce's potential enjoyment of Subterranean Homesick Alien and Exit Music (For a Film).

I share Bruce's disdain for Fitter Happier and Climbing Up the Walls, and have always wondered how an album that includes these very annoying songs can be rated so highly by so many.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

DocBrown wrote:
Bruce, I will give you credit in listening to one album (Nevermind). In that you recently claimed that Nirvana did not belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, it may lend some credibility to your argument that you have actually listened to at least one of their albums. But please spare us all a one at a time summary of how much you hate everything outside your own window of experience. The game was to review the FIRST album with which you were not familiar. You have. Thank you.
Whew....thanks for sparing me any more misery :mrgreen:
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Personally, I find depressing music gloriously invigorating! Nothing more uplifting than being emotionally moved, no matter what the direction.

Frank Sinatra - Songs For Swingin Lovers

Very charismatic singer. Great production. Frank Sinatra is a master of his craft.

I just don't like the kind of songs he sings. They bore me and strike me like he's trying to pander to a certain mindset.

Rating: Abstain/10. I am the incorrect audience for this album.

So, next on the list: Frank Sinatra - In The Wee Small Hours

The first two albums I know nothing about are Frank Sinatra albums ranked literally right next to each other! 246 and 247. Skip.

Next: 252 Kraftwerk - Die Mensch Maschine
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Post by DDD troll account »

"In the Wee Small Hours" is better than "Songs for Swingin' Lovers" though, and it's also way more depressing. Not saying you'll necessarily like it (the songs on it are standards after all) but you might want to give it a shot.
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Post by DDD troll account »

DocBrown wrote:
Well, after having listened to your initially first album, the second one becomes the first. Just sayin'.

Maybe I'm a masochist but I love reading reviews that don't match my personal opinion at all. Actually I don't even see the point of reading reviews that match your opinion (unless they're exceptionally well written).
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

pauldrach wrote:"In the Wee Small Hours" is better than "Songs for Swingin' Lovers" though, and it's also way more depressing. Not saying you'll necessarily like it (the songs on it are standards after all) but you might want to give it a shot.
What, is this place the "We Love Depressing Albums" Club? :(
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Whenever I think of Frank Sinatra fans I think of 50 year old gamblers with 22 year old mistresses smoking expensive cigars, but maybe I'm just stereotyping. ;)

It's more a 'We find the quality of an album to be unrelated to its mood' club. :music-listening:
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

I do suppose the Smiths album would be comparatively upbeat(!) and have more accessible musical appeal. But I think we can save that for another day, in the distant future.

As for Sinatra, I do like the upbeat stuff along with the music made after Ava Gardner broke his heart. When you've loved and lost the way Frank has, then you know what life's about (said Spinal Tap's limo driver).
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

I liked the reviews, Bruce, thanks! Even if you do not share the same opinion as mine.

For me, you have the freedom to do review on which album you want. As paul said above, I prefer to read reviews of people with different tastes from mine, although much of what you really like (40s, 50s, 60s) I also appreciate very much.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Live in Phoenix wrote:As for Sinatra, I do like the upbeat stuff along with the music made after Ava Gardner broke his heart. When you've loved and lost the way Frank has, then you know what life's about (said Spinal Tap's limo driver).
Well, when you have loved and had your heart broken by a woman like Ava Gardner, you can't really blame a guy for expressing emotions like that in his music. ;)
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

Bruce wrote:
I don't know about that. I feel music does a great job of tapping into any emotion one might be facing. I love listening to more somber and melancholy tunes that you may label "depressing" when I'm having a rough week. I find I can relate to some of the lyrics or textures in the music. Personally Nevermind and OK Computer are two of my favorite albums of all time, but I can understand why they aren't your cup of tea.

Also, you mentioned the Queen is Dead is next for you. That one might not suit your palette at all. The Smiths are one of the most "depressing" bands around, and really have become one of my all-time favorite artists for that very reason.
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Mattceinicram wrote:
Bruce wrote:
I don't know about that. I feel music does a great job of tapping into any emotion one might be facing. I love listening to more somber and melancholy tunes that you may label "depressing" when I'm having a rough week. I find I can relate to some of the lyrics or textures in the music. Personally Nevermind and OK Computer are two of my favorite albums of all time, but I can understand why they aren't your cup of tea.

Also, you mentioned the Queen is Dead is next for you. That one might not suit your palette at all. The Smiths are one of the most "depressing" bands around, and really have become one of my all-time favorite artists for that very reason.
I absolutely agree. Listening to a sad song while depressed and thinking "yes, someone else has felt exactly the way I feel. I'm not alone in this. Someone else has been here before" is one of the most empathetic experiences I can think of.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Jirin wrote:Personally, I find depressing music gloriously invigorating! Nothing more uplifting than being emotionally moved, no matter what the direction.

Frank Sinatra - Songs For Swingin Lovers

Very charismatic singer. Great production. Frank Sinatra is a master of his craft.

I just don't like the kind of songs he sings. They bore me and strike me like he's trying to pander to a certain mindset.

Rating: Abstain/10. I am the incorrect audience for this album.

So, next on the list: Frank Sinatra - In The Wee Small Hours
It's funny that we are having a discussion about depressing music right now, since I have always found many of Sinatra's own recordings to be quite somber and melancholy in their tone. In my opinion, that's the genius of Sinatra (along with other great performers who did not write their own lyrics, like say, Billie Holiday or Elvis Presley): he was able to embody the speaker in a song and make you think that the lyrics were coming from himself personally. Every emotion and thought in a song sounded like they were his. This is particularly true with his 50s albums, which are among the very first masterpiece albums, IMO.

Jirin, I know that you are a huge fan of Tom Waits (just like myself). One of his primary influences is old jazz and pop music, and that includes Frank Sinatra particularly. In fact, in many ways, much of his music is like a strange, modern version of the very stuff Sinatra at his best was singing. Just thought about mentioning that. But, to each their own.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

I had the pleasure of reviewing Public Image Ltd.- Metal Box/Second Edition

First off, this is not an extremely accessible album. It is definitely intended to be a challenging listen. It really does not surprise me that I wasn't familiar with any of the tracks prior to me listening to this album, they were not written to be popular radio hits. They were written to be hard-to-digest artistic statements.

Right off the bat, a sort of commercial alienation is set in place with a eerie 10-minute atonal jam. The track is layered with feedback, guitar melodies that don't seem to have a very traditional direction to them, and some sinister howls from John Lyndon (ex guitarist from the Sex Pistols). It's a very confusing mess and will quickly weed out the listeners who wan't a more stable and easier to grasp listening experience. However, for those who are intrigued by this abrasive chaos that Public Image Ltd. presents, there is much more to dig into as this record progresses.

On a completely musical standpoint, this is an album full of experimental post-punk compositions. The album has a very cold and isolated sound. The bass is the most prominent instrument in the mix here. Some of the the most engaging moments on this record come from the repetitive, dark, and distorted dub bass riffs that are really hard to escape. The guitar plays very fragmented and choppy riffs that add a bit of a scathing texture to the music.

Vocally Johnny Rotten can be very frightening sometimes. He provides a very nightmarish identity to the music as he brings hollowed chants and devious cries to the mix. Lyrically, he talks about the horrors that have become of modern culture, dealing from a range of topics of consumerism to death. You can feel a real disenchantment with the world in how the lyrics are written.

Three instrumentals bring some relief from the abrasiveness. Those would be "Graveyard", "Socialist", and "Radio 4." These instrumentals are a bit more hopeful and less dissonant. They have a futuristic tone to them and do a good job of brewing up the chaos and despair that is the overarching character of this album.

Overall I gave this record a 9/10. It may not be for everyone. It is not the happiest and most social friendly record, but it's not suppose to be. Metal Box does a fascinating job of really capturing the essence of societies woes and shortcomings both through it's lyrical portrayal, and it's unforgiving tone. It was not an easy listen, but a listen I found myself really enjoying, and one I will find joy in revisiting again.

With all that being said, Bruce I think this is the perfect album for you to enjoy!
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Mattceinicram wrote:Overall I gave this record a 9/10. It may not be for everyone. It is not the happiest and most social friendly record, but it's not suppose to be. Metal Box does a fascinating job of really capturing the essence of societies woes and shortcomings both through it's lyrical portrayal, and it's unforgiving tone. It was not an easy listen, but a listen I found myself really enjoying, and one I will find joy in revisiting again.
Great review, Matt! Fair, informative, positive in tone and presentation. Thanks.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Mattceinicram wrote:
With all that being said, Bruce I think this is the perfect album for you to enjoy!
Here's one for you!
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

Bruce wrote:
Mattceinicram wrote:
Here's one for you!
This is pretty nice!! I like it!
By the way I was just poking some light hearted fun with that comment. I hope I didn't offend you or anything. If I did I'm sorry. It was a joke :P
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

I thought that I had listened to Television's "Marquee Moon" album before. But, after a recent listening I found it to be rather compelling and was blown away by its similarities to some music performed by the Talking Heads.

I plan to write a song by song analysis later, but do not have time at this particular moment.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Mattceinicram wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Mattceinicram wrote:
Here's one for you!
This is pretty nice!! I like it!
By the way I was just poking some light hearted fun with that comment. I hope I didn't offend you or anything. If I did I'm sorry. It was a joke :P
Not at all. A lot of what I post around here is also said jokingly but people seem to take it seriously.

BTW, that record I posted was a Sun Ra production. He may even be singing on it.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

For me depressing music doesn't remind me of depressing things from real life.

Being emotionally moved in any direction gives me joy.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

As promised, here's my review of The Suburbs. I gave it 4 stars on RYM.

This album will forever be associated with two albums: Funeral and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Unfortunately, is falls short of both of these albums, so it can claim neither the title of “Best Arcade Fire Album” nor “Best Album of 2010”. Song for song, this album is probably the band’s best album, but as a whole, it’s slightly inferior. But back to the songs, because they’re really good. I love the acoustic pop ballads like “The Suburbs” and “Wasted Hours”. Win Butler’s voice fits that type of song perfectly. That’s not to say that rockers like “Month of May” don’t work because of his voice, because that’s not true (that song is also excellent). The Suburbs also includes another awesome piano ballad to add to the ever-growing collection. This time it’s “We Used to Wait”, which is easily my favorite song on the album. It would definitely be my favorite song by the group if their other awesome piano ballad (“Rebellion”) didn’t exist.

Favorite tracks: The Suburbs, Ready to Start, Modern Man, Rococo, City With No Children, Half Light II, Suburban War, Month of May, Wasted Hours, Deep Blue, We Used To Wait, Sprawl II
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

^ Yeah I think "We Used to Wait" is the band's most underrated track. It's really quite epic.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I listened to A Love Supreme by John Coltrane. It was okay, I mean the great thing probably about that album was that it was original and it had a big influence. I'm just not a fan of jazz.
I feel like that

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”