EoY 2013 Talk Thread

Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

EoY 2013 Talk Thread

Post by Matski »

Thought I'd open up this thread as a place to voice all our general opinions about the 2013 EoY lists as they are being posted online and reported back to the forum. Are there any surprising trends and patterns that you are noticing?

For example, Kanye West's 'Yeezus' seems to be the frontrunning EoY contender at the moment. Admittedly, I've never been one of his fans and from what I have heard from those who are, many don't really consider it to be on par with his last release, or either of his first two albums. Furthermore, while the album was originally very well-received by the critics there have been many albums that were just as highly-appraised in 2013 and as such I wasn't expecting it to be as dominant as it has been.

On the other hand, My Bloody Valentine's album, 'm b v' doesn't appear to have held up as strongly with the plaudits as it did when it was first released. Perhaps it's justified the idea that many critics were in too much of a rush to publish their reviews initially and now after that first wave of excitement everyone has been given the chance to reconsider it within a much less ecstatic frame-of-mind.
Last edited by Matski on Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Harold
Into the Groove

Re: EoY 2013 Talk Thread

Post by Harold »

I'm surprised and impressed by how well Yeezus is doing - it's at or near the top of almost every list (even The Quietus list, which has 67 freakin' albums that I had to enter into the spreadsheet for the first time, has it in the top 20). It was such an instantly polarizing album when it came out that I never thought it would be this high in the EOY rankings. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy suffered in 2010 from its very late release date (it didn't make most of the major UK lists because those were compiled before it came out), and I'm starting to think that there's a chance Yeezus may actually end up outranking it at AM. Which would be more than a little ridiculous, as it's nowhere near as good. Don't get me wrong, I like the album a lot, but - to paraphrase an infamous quote from the man himself - MBDTF is one of the BEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Harold wrote:even The Quietus list, which has 67 freakin' albums that I had to enter into the spreadsheet for the first time
Oh, now I understand why you seemed to ignore my lists. :) Sorry, Harold. Do not hate me for posting lists with strange entries. See it as an attempt to make AM a little more international. If you think it's hard work, I can help you write the music lists in Spanish language to the spreadsheet, especially since you're writing first surnames, and I know that when it comes to foreign music that may seem confusing. I will try to upload the specifications Henrik asked, but due to lack of time I think I can not do it as fast as I would have liked. But sooner or later, I'll upload them. :music-listening:
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Blanco wrote:
Harold wrote:even The Quietus list, which has 67 freakin' albums that I had to enter into the spreadsheet for the first time
Oh, now I understand why you seemed to ignore my lists. :)
Not at all, Blanco - if any of the lists you've posted from new sources are eligible, I will gladly add them to the spreadsheet. I have no problem with that, and I have no problem looking up artist names, either. The reason I haven't added any of these yet is simply because, given the volume of lists that get posted, I naturally gravitate first to the ones with which I'm already familiar from previous years. It may take a while for new source lists to get added, but rest assured, I'm as committed as you are to making the spreadsheet as comprehensive as possible.

(I realize you were kidding with the comment quoted above, but your post deserved a response.)
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Harold wrote:I'm surprised and impressed by how well Yeezus is doing - it's at or near the top of almost every list (even The Quietus list, which has 67 freakin' albums that I had to enter into the spreadsheet for the first time, has it in the top 20). It was such an instantly polarizing album when it came out that I never thought it would be this high in the EOY rankings. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy suffered in 2010 from its very late release date (it didn't make most of the major UK lists because those were compiled before it came out), and I'm starting to think that there's a chance Yeezus may actually end up outranking it at AM. Which would be more than a little ridiculous, as it's nowhere near as good. Don't get me wrong, I like the album a lot, but - to paraphrase an infamous quote from the man himself - MBDTF is one of the BEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME.
Don't worry about it; MBDTF has been doing sickly well in all-time lists. And personally I think there's not that much difference in quality, personally.
I feel like that
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

Yeah MBDTF will probably be in the top 100 at least, maybe top 50, and deservedly so. Yeezus will probably be ranked at AM close to Late Registration though.
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Mattceinicram wrote:Yeah MBDTF will probably be in the top 100 at least, maybe top 50, and deservedly so. Yeezus will probably be ranked at AM close to Late Registration though.
I think closer to The College Dropout. Channel Orange is ranked freaking 125.
I feel like that
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

I am surprised that "Black Skinhead" seems to have taken the position as the Kanye song for everyone to agree on. I would have thought that "New Slaves" would be that song (although, admittedly, it's not doing so poorly either).

I'm disappointed by the absolute lack of Flaming Lips' The Terror in nearly every EOY list so far. I guess with all of Wayne Coyne's antics it's easy to get tired of the group, but I thought that it was one of their stronger albums, and would at least make the Top 50.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

With apologies to - and in memory of - Lou Reed:

Yeezus, help me find your proper place
Will you stay on top or are you
Bound 2 fall from grace?
Yeezus!
Yeezus!
guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Post by guigs2910 »

The most interesting phenomena of this year's EoY threads is the almost perfect scoring of Get Lucky. more than 90% of the lists are giving it its deservedly number 1 spot. On this rhythm, I wonder where it will end up on 2014's update...
Immerse your soul in love. No matter how it ends, no matter how it starts.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Harold wrote:With apologies to - and in memory of - Lou Reed:

Will you stay on top or are you
Bound 2 fall from grace?
Yeezus!
Yeezus!
nice!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

guigs2910 wrote:The most interesting phenomena of this year's EoY threads is the almost perfect scoring of Get Lucky. more than 90% of the lists are giving it its deservedly number 1 spot. On this rhythm, I wonder where it will end up on 2014's update...
I wonder this too...! The closest to a perfect EOY scoring there has ever been was for Missy Elliott's "Get Ur Freak On", which ended up at #15 of all time in the 2002 update. I have changed the algorithm a lot since then though, so I don't know where "Get Lucky" will end up if it keeps topping the lists like it has so far. Maybe a little bit lower, but I would think that it makes top 50 at least.

AM's All Time Singles in 2002
Get Ur Freak On's EOY scoring
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

It would be interesting if it is ranked that high. It is definitely the best song this year, but I don't know if I'm ready to call it one of the absolute best songs ever made.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

MBDTF is a solid 8/10, but it's easily one of the best marketed albums of all time. Not bad for a self proclaimed vaginal-reupholstery expert. College Dropout is a much better album but came out before he learned how to crossover market so well so it's not talked about as much.

The thing about KW is, besides being a marketing genius who makes music ranging from cringe-worthy to really damn good sometimes over the course of the same song, he's got roots in both the popular and the critical camps. So talking about Kanye is a sure way for mags to appeal to both parts of their audience. The sheer quantity of Kanye discourse gets him rated higher than less well known music of equal or better quality. Yeezus has some really good moments but a lot more really clashy transitions than his previous work.

In terms of using social media to make everybody take him really seriously, he is absolutely a genius.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

A lot of people still praise The College Dropout as one of Kanye's two or three best, but it's actually my least favorite album by him. It's bloated, there are too many skits, it's messy (it's the Kanye album that is most like a collection of songs, whereas his later albums seemed more created AS ALBUMS), and it ends with a 10 minute talk-a-thon that I end up skipping now.

Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised at how well Yeezus is doing. I knew it would do well, but I still wasn't sure about top 5, until now. I also LOVE that Daft Punk are ruling the year, though I did expect that. And Haim's success as well. Their album didn't get extraordinary reviews (very good but nothing special), but I knew when I heard it that it would be one of 2013's defining releases. I'm actually not disappointed nor surprised at My Bloody Valentine's showing. I was AFRAID critics would put it high on their EOYs just because it was MBV and decent. I really liked it the first few times I heard it, but it lost its luster for me very quickly. I found myself just going back to Loveless after awhile. I think it was so praised back in February because it was early in the year and it was MBV and it sounded good. But I thought it was overpraised. Even top ten would be too high in my book. I predict that it will lose even more spaces before the year is out.

The big snub to me on the spreadsheet thus far is Julia Holter. I loved Loud City Song very much and it got excellent reviews. Her previous album has a good showing on AM, and I think Loud City Song is better in every way, and most critics seemed to agree. How is it only 39th??
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Disappointed and surprised at MBV's relatively low placement. Same goes for Arcade Fire.

Very surprised at Kanye's high placement. VERY VERY surprised at Haim's high placement.

Also, why is everyone giving "Step" all the acclaim out of all the songs off of MVOTC? "Unbelievers", "Diane Young", and "Ya Hey" are much, much better.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

I will say I wasn't expecting Lorde to be doing so well.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Harold wrote:I'm surprised and impressed by how well Yeezus is doing - it's at or near the top of almost every list (even The Quietus list, which has 67 freakin' albums that I had to enter into the spreadsheet for the first time, has it in the top 20).
Hey, the Quietus list is great! Even though the choices can get really obscure, it's not like they all are--David Bowie was #3, and other top 20 picks like These New Puritans, Nick Cave, Savages, and Jon Hopkins are critical mainstays this year. I really dig their pick for number 1, Grumbling Fur, which I would not have heard otherwise. The incredible thing is only four critics' picks comprise the list. They must just listen to more albums than any other critics short of Fastnbulbous.
Federico
Let's Get It On

Post by Federico »

Very surprised about the success of Daft Punk. I never thought, critics would rank such a Commercial Album and song so high. But it seems 2013 wasn't a year with spectacular new developments in pop music.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Federico wrote:Very surprised about the success of Daft Punk. I never thought, critics would rank such a Commercial Album and song so high. But it seems 2013 wasn't a year with spectacular new developments in pop music.
Daft Punk are a very critically acclaimed act. Just look at their ranking on the site. I'm not entirely sure what you are talking about.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Surprised not to see "Tunnel Vision" (JT) and "Lose Yourself To Dance" (Daft Punk) nowhere in the list.
Mindrocker
Let's Get It On

Post by Mindrocker »

Jackson wrote:
Harold wrote:I'm surprised and impressed by how well Yeezus is doing - it's at or near the top of almost every list (even The Quietus list, which has 67 freakin' albums that I had to enter into the spreadsheet for the first time, has it in the top 20).
Hey, the Quietus list is great! Even though the choices can get really obscure, it's not like they all are--David Bowie was #3, and other top 20 picks like These New Puritans, Nick Cave, Savages, and Jon Hopkins are critical mainstays this year. I really dig their pick for number 1, Grumbling Fur, which I would not have heard otherwise. The incredible thing is only four critics' picks comprise the list. They must just listen to more albums than any other critics short of Fastnbulbous.
Seconded.
The Quietus list is the most interesting I've seen so far. Really need to check out more of its entries for my own EOY list.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

JimmyJazz wrote:
Federico wrote:Very surprised about the success of Daft Punk. I never thought, critics would rank such a Commercial Album and song so high. But it seems 2013 wasn't a year with spectacular new developments in pop music.
Daft Punk are a very critically acclaimed act. Just look at their ranking on the site. I'm not entirely sure what you are talking about.
Like Federico, I am also surprised by the success of Daft Punk this year. If you look carefully, in the past they never had much presence in the year-end lists. They achieved such high positions through lists of the best of the decade or the best of all time lists.

So to the high position that will win Daft Punk with these end of the year lists, plus lists of the best of all time and the best of the decade that will come in the future, with the time we will see Get Lucky easily appear in the top 20 (or maybe top 10) of the best songs of all time. And also Daft Punk in the top 20 artists.

And rarer still, because the last production before Random Access Memories that achieved a place in AM, was in 2001. 12 years ago!
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Blanco wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote:
Like Federico, I am also surprised by the success of Daft Punk this year. If you look carefully, in the past they never had much presence in the year-end lists. They achieved such high positions through lists of the best of the decade or the best of all time lists. And with RAM and Get Lucky, we still need to calculate future lists of the best of this decade, etc.

So to the high position that will win Daft Punk with these end of the year lists, plus lists of the best of all time and the best of the decade that will come in the future, with the time we will see Get Lucky easily appear in the top 20 (or maybe top 10) of the best songs of all time. And also Daft Punk in the top 20 artists.

And rarer still, because the last production before Random Access Memories that achieved a place in AM, was in 2001. 12 years ago!
I don't actually think Get Lucky will do that well on all-time lists, so the position might go down from number 50 to number 80 eventually or something like that. A part of why critics rate it so high right now is because it's a hit with the audience, but like every other song ever made, in five years it won't be the hottest new thing anymore. When comparing it to songs that are in AM top 20, it's not as good as them. I hope my rambling makes at least some sense.
I feel like that
blackandbianco
Start Me Up

Post by blackandbianco »

It seems that the Knife album has not had many high placings in lists so far, although it does have a quite good standing on the overall chart. It has generally gotten good acclaim, though not quite at the same level as the other consensus great records this year, but I would think it to be an album that one would either be put off by or have to embrace as one of the best of the year. I cannot help but compare it in this way to The Seer from last year, that one did not seem to be hurt much by its huge left-field nature and massive scope and length, in terms of year-end lists. But then again, the Knife's is probably just my favorite album of the year, so this means nothing. Would like to see it get some top 10 or top 5 placings in lists yet though.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Really? Every single person on this forum was saying "Get Lucky" would be the song of the year on the EOY lists, absolutely no questions asked. Daft Punk already have a massive amount of critical success behind them, with 2 albums and 2 songs in the top 500 of all time. Daft Punk are also riding high from the massive amount of EOD lists songs like "One More Time", "Digital Love", "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" and the album "Discovery" placed on. Additionally, "Random Access Memories" was their first studio album in 8 years, so after all the hype that they got thanks to the EOD lists, it was obvious that their comeback would be greatly anticipated by fans and critics alike.

Now all of that alone would have assured Daft Punk's new album and single a respectable spot on the EOY lists, but when you factor in the fact that "Random Access Memories" hit number 1 in loads of countries (including the US) and "Get Lucky" hit number 1 or 2 in loads of countries as well, I literally cannot think of a more perfect storm for critical success.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Nick wrote:
Really? Every single person on this forum was saying "Get Lucky" would be the song of the year on the EOY lists, absolutely no questions asked. Daft Punk already have a massive amount of critical success behind them, with 2 albums and 2 songs in the top 500 of all time. Daft Punk are also riding high from the massive amount of EOD lists songs like "One More Time", "Digital Love", "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" and the album "Discovery" placed on. Additionally, "Random Access Memories" was their first studio album in 8 years, so after all the hype that they got thanks to the EOD lists, it was obvious that their comeback would be greatly anticipated by fans and critics alike.

Now all of that alone would have assured Daft Punk's new album and single a respectable spot on the EOY lists, but when you factor in the fact that "Random Access Memories" hit number 1 in loads of countries (including the US) and "Get Lucky" hit number 1 or 2 in loads of countries as well, I literally cannot think of a more perfect storm for critical success.
Agreed. Great post, Nick.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

The Daft Punk album is one of the few albums where I ended up disliking it more as I continued listening to it. I just find it thoroughly average. :?
mattadam
Start Me Up

Post by mattadam »

I kind of agree with you maschine man about RAM

The two albums that came out on top in 2010 were the suburbs and MBDTF. Now I LOVE the arcade fire and win butler, but MBDTF is the album I would listen to now if I had to choose between one or the other. MBDTF is just outrageously fun, and to me is definitely one of the best albums of all time. Haim is a very interesting curveball, and honestly I think they deserve it. I would say don't listen to just their single, listen to their whole album and you'll be blown away.
Best album of 2013: Reflektor by Arcade Fire

How did it only get an 80 on metacritic!?
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Does every songs list have to have Kanye, Vampire Weekend, and Haim in their top ten?

Also, where is the love for MBV, These New Puritans, Julia Holter and Forest Swords? Aka some of the best-reviewed albums of the year. It's funny how some albums are conveniently forgotten at year end.

EDIT: MBV is higher than I realized on the spreadsheet, didn't think it would be as high as 6. Still, there seems to be a general lack of excitement around the album, and I was thinking it could be a potential #1 for the year.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

I actually thought Justin Timberlake was a shoo in to be in the top 20, not necessarily due to how good it is, but how some of the mid year lists had it acclaimed. However it is 64 right now and may be in danger of not making the AM 3000. Of course pitchfork loved it and they have yet to put out there list.
t3t332
Start Me Up

Post by t3t332 »

So what do you think Pitchfork's Top 10 will look like? I reckon something like this:
1. Kanye West - Yeezus
2. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
3. Arcade Fire - Reflektor
4. Disclosure - Settle
5. My Bloody Valentine - mbv
6. Deafheaven - Sunbather
7. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
8. Julia Holter - Loud City Song
9. Danny Brown - Old
10. Phosphorescent - Muchacho

Although Darkside and Burial got 9.0 scores, i doubt they will be featured in the top 10.

'Reflektor' or something from Yeezus for Best Track.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Looks like Drake has a good chance of making it in the top 10 but Kanye looks pretty set to take the #1 spot
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Top 10 Albums by Pitchfork Prediction-

1. Kanye West- Yeezus
2. Vampire Weekend- Modern Vampires of the City
3. Arcade Fire- Reflektor
4. My Bloody Valentine- m b v
5. Daft Punk- Random Access Memories
6. Disclosure- Settle
7. Deafheaven- Sunbather
8. Drake- Nothing Was the Same
9. Savages- Silence Yourself
10. Danny Brown- Old

Obligatory "what the hell, Pitchfork??" for putting Drake at number 1 on their songs list.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Nearly Nick. Don't worry, hardly anyone predicted that Majical Cloudz would make their top ten.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”