EOY Albums Spreadsheet: Update thread

Harold
Into the Groove

EOY Albums Spreadsheet: Update thread

Post by Harold »

This thread will be where updates to the 2013 EOY Albums Spreadsheet will be posted. This first version contains the following sources:

USA: Amazon, Decibel
UK: Mojo, Q, Uncut
Rest of the World: Sonic [Sweden], Telerama [France], MondoSonoro-International [Spain], Gaffa [Sweden], Gaffa [Denmark], Blitz-International [Portugal], Intro [Germany]

If someone had predicted which album would have a commanding lead at this early point, I would have thought they were completely ... but that would be giving it away. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Henrik
Site Admin

Re: EOY Albums Spreadsheet: Update thread

Post by Henrik »

This is great! Now I kinda realise how you feel when I do a site update...
Harold wrote:If someone had predicted which album would have a commanding lead at this early point, I would have thought they were completely ... but that would be giving it away. :mrgreen:
Really? I think it's easily the best album of the year. I'm glad the megacritic chart wasn't a good prediction for the EOY lists. I think it has come to number one to stay there.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

Here we go again!
Thanks for your great work, Harold!
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

I'm surprised to see The 20/20 Experience Part 2 so low. It did awful on the critics charts...deserved I believe as well. Also Danny Brown and Julianna Barwick is a lot lower than I was expecting
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Just a quick note, in case there's any confusion - all of the albums currently on the Mega-Critic top 100 are included in the spreadsheet, even if they haven't yet appeared on an EOY list.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

Is it safe to say that this list is bound to change a lot?
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Mattceinicram wrote:Is it safe to say that this list is bound to change a lot?
Hopefully some of my favorite artists are going to.....get lucky this year.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Overall I'm loving how the list is turning out so far. Here are some of my predictions for the next couple updates...

Haim and Nick Cave are going to take some big drops, David Bowie will take a small but significant drop.

Deafheaven and Arcade Fire are going to rise quite a bit. Danny Brown and Sigur Ros will too.
Last edited by Nick on Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik wrote:
Harold wrote:If someone had predicted which album would have a commanding lead at this early point, I would have thought they were completely ... but that would be giving it away. :mrgreen:
Really? I think it's easily the best album of the year. I'm glad the megacritic chart wasn't a good prediction for the EOY lists. I think it has come to number one to stay there.
I agree. I began to suspect it would be that way a while ago, some people said in the beginning that the album was divisive, but actually, I felt that it mainly divided their fanbase, not the critics. I personnally think another album is the best of the year, but seeing this one topping the chart is unsurprising to me. I, too, think it will remain there.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Oh yeah, and the album of the year when all is said and done will be Vampire Weekend. I'm calling it now.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

On a side note: Miley Cyrus indeed managed to get some backing, since her album is here (although with only one nomination). I don't think it will stay up for very long, not even talking of getting in the AM inductees, but she might actually get a song or two in the EOY songs selection.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

I think Daft Punk will consolidate itself at the top. It had a highly acclaimed single that was also the summer hit of 2013, a highly acclaimed record, that was also commercially successful, and they were coming off the heels of the splash Discovery did inside plenty of lists by the end of the last decade. I can see Vampire Weekend over Daft Punk in the US, but the rest of the world voters seem to associate themselves to the latter pick. I think Bowie will remain the UK consensus choice.

Now, when it comes to Julianna Barwick and, my favorite record the year, Julia Holter's Loud City Song, I just don't expect them to go far. They'll be lucky to crack the top 20, although such a placement for Holter might be feasible after some of the other lists come in, since some names ahead of Loud City Song don't look like locks. There was a time when I used to confuse widespread raves with consequential great performance inside EOYs. These are polarizing records by niche artists that are not widespread listened by those that contribute to the lists, and plenty disliked too. One needs a great deal of press and widespread blogosphere reception, the type both Grimes and Fiona Apple received last year or St Vincent and tUnE-yArDs in 2011, to crack a top 10 and back the reception it received before. It's also not a coincidence that all of them had more accessible records that went on to become indie hits. So I'm not counting with those two records breaking the top 20.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Thank you Harold. This is one of the funniest moments of the year: open the spreadsheet EOY.

Anyway, one thing I never understood: change the name of the artist. Some reasons:

A) When we talk (or when we read an article or an album cover) we say David Bowie, not Bowie, David.

B) Each artist chooses his stage name. David Bowie decided so called, not Bowie, David (he could have chosen but did not)

C) It is more work for you go changing names. And after Henrik because he does put "David Bowie"

D) The list are the ugliest with names changed

PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I think Daft Punk is the second best album of the year. Actually was surprised that it didn't do so well in the Mega critic chart thingy.
I feel like that
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

Haim may drop a little, but I think (hope) it will stay very high, like top 20. Personally, I loved it right away and had a feeling it would do well on EOY lists.

Thank you, as every year, Harold!
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Care to enlighten the Excel impaired?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Jonathon wrote:Care to enlighten the Excel impaired?
Yes. Install Excel.

Just kidding. I hope you're not expecting the entire contents of the spreadsheet to be summarized here somehow, though. What I can do is reprint the top 25, which is about all anyone needs this early in the process:

1 Daft Punk Random Access Memories
2 Arctic Monkeys AM
3 Vampire Weekend Modern Vampires of the City
4 Haim Days Are Gone
5 Cave, Nick and The Bad Seeds Push the Sky Away
6 West, Kanye Yeezus
7 Bowie, David The Next Day
8 My Bloody Valentine m b v
9 National, The Trouble Will Find Me
10 Arcade Fire Reflektor
11 Queens of the Stone Age …Like Clockwork
12 Callahan, Bill Dream River
13 Blake, James Overgrown
14 Knife, The Shaking the Habitual
15 Hopkins, Jon Immunity
16 Disclosure Settle
17 Grant, John Pale Green Ghosts
18 Vile, Kurt Wakin on a Pretty Daze
19 Foals Holy Fire
20 Rhye Woman
21 Marling, Laura Once I Was an Eagle
22 King Krule 6 Feet Beneath the Moon
23 Phosphorescent Muchacho
24 Deafheaven Sunbather
25 Isbell, Jason Southeastern
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Jonathon, I suggest you download Excel Viewer.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

I must have missed something here.

Why Daft Punk appears at the top on the list when their album does not figure in the top 20 of the Otisredding's list?
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Bruno wrote:I must have missed something here.

Why Daft Punk appears at the top on the list when their album does not figure in the top 20 of the Otisredding's list?
Otisredding's list is an aggregate of all music critics scores with respect to the number of scores a given album has. This list is a ranking of albums based on their placement on EOY lists. For a variety of reasons, the two lists don't always match up.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Bruno wrote:I must have missed something here.

Because they're two very different lists. Otisredding's bimonthly Mega-Critic list is based on time-of-release reviews, while the EOY spreadsheet is compiled from end-of-year album lists. Frequently, an album that had a relatively low ranking on Mega-Critic all year long (or, sometimes, one which never made it at all) will suddenly start to appear near the top of the EOY lists, and that's what's happening here with Random Access Memories.

[edit: Just saw Nick's reply.]
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Thanks, Nick and Harold!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

It also has to do with averages. Let's say there are 40 critics featured. If 20 of them give Random Access Memories a 100/100 and 20 of them give it a 50/100, then the average would end up being a 75/100. However, those 20 critics that gave it a perfect score might end up putting it as the best album of the year, while the other 20's non-mentions wouldn't matter as much. Meanwhile, let's say there is an album that got straight 76/100s across the board. It would end up higher on the critical aggregate ranking, but it might end up not getting mentioned at all in the best of lists. Thus, a critically divided score of the same value is usually much stronger in the end than a consistent value, because what matters in the EOY lists is who really liked the albums.
Future Critic
Let's Get It On

Post by Future Critic »

Thanks for doing this, Harold. It's a lot of fun to see where my favorite albums are being ranked.

A few more lists came out today. I'm not sure if they meet the requirements and you probably already know about them, but I'm adding links just in case:

Rolling Stone Magazine: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... 3-20131202
Paste Magazine: http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/list ... -year.html
Spin Magazine: http://www.spin.com/articles/best-albums-2013/
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Future Critic wrote:Thanks for doing this, Harold. It's a lot of fun to see where my favorite albums are being ranked.

A few more lists came out today. I'm not sure if they meet the requirements and you probably already know about them, but I'm adding links just in case:

Rolling Stone Magazine: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... 3-20131202
Paste Magazine: http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/list ... -year.html
Spin Magazine: http://www.spin.com/articles/best-albums-2013/
Future Critic, there's actually another section on this board, called "Critics' lists" where these lists must be posted. These three are already there :)
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

I normally wouldn't post another update so quickly, but the lists that were released today are pretty significant, so I figured I'd go ahead. The spreadsheet is updated with the following:

USA: Paste, Spin, Rolling Stone
Rest of the World: Blitz-National [Portugal]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I'm really, really happy with how the list is shaping up so far! My only real complaint is that I wish Sigur Ros would get a bit more acclaim.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Generally the albums you'd expect are near the top, though I'm surprised at Daft Punk being #1 since I thought it was seen as a pretty good album with one standout single.

I am glad to see Haim way up on the list. It's working its way quickly up my EOY list but nobody seems to talk about it here, possibly because they're mainstream in the UK.

Obviously I'd like to see a few more surprises on the list, since as usual a majority of the groups near the top of the list are from artists who already have major critical hits.
mattadam
Start Me Up

Post by mattadam »

I think I've said this once every year, and I'll say it again. Thank you everyone who works on this site! You guys are awesome
Best album of 2013: Reflektor by Arcade Fire

How did it only get an 80 on metacritic!?
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Jirin wrote:Generally the albums you'd expect are near the top, though I'm surprised at Daft Punk being #1 since I thought it was seen as a pretty good album with one standout single.
I don't want to sound like a know-it-all or like captain hindsight, but like the third time I listened to that album, I thought this album has like four to six great songs. And the rest are good too. But I guess I do sound like that :?

But anyway yeah thanks for all the people doing work towards this!

Edit: Also why every magazine wants to rank it on their list is that it was hugely popular, that matters some. It's hard to snub.
Last edited by PlasticRam on Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I feel like that
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

I will always be ashamed of American critics for their treatment of Nick Cave. Push the Sky Away is far from his best album, but it still should have made a list by now.
mattadam
Start Me Up

Post by mattadam »

Omfg! Haim is so talented! I'm not the target audience for their genre at all, but they have so much attitude and charisma.

Arctic monkeys...they always get more credit than they deserve...AM has so little imagination

Vampire Weekend out out a masterpiece
Best album of 2013: Reflektor by Arcade Fire

How did it only get an 80 on metacritic!?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated:

USA/Canada: Stereogum, Glide, Textura [Canada]
UK: The Quietus, NME, The Skinny
Rest of World: FasterLouder [Australia]
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

Haim is definitely a lot higher than I thought it would be, not a bad thing though!
cartoken
Are You Experienced?

Post by cartoken »

it's always amusing to see the ranking difference between the US and the Uk, which proves that music is really a subjective thing, mixed with a bit of national pride.
Illiniq
Strange Fruit

Post by Illiniq »

cartoken wrote:it's always amusing to see the ranking difference between the US and the Uk, which proves that music is really a subjective thing, mixed with a bit of national pride.
Especially when it comes to certain genres...America's younger generations have all but abandoned Rock 'n' Roll, Funk, The Blues, Soul...it's all hip hop and electronica music for them.

UK seems to still cling to it's Rock 'n' Roll Traditions - (ie see how much stronger Brit Pop like AM and post punk like Savages connects there). Never was this more evident than when the Stone Roses Headlined Coachella...my guess is they would still draw monster crowds in the UK...couldn't pull 5000 for their headlining week 1 set over here.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

I said earlier in the Critics' Lists forum that I probably wasn't going to post an update until Monday because of a couple of incomplete lists, but I decided that wasn't really fair. This update adds:

USA/Canada: Pretty Much Amazing, American Songwriter, A.V. Club, Magnet
UK: MusicOMH [#6-100], The Guardian [#11-40]
Rest of World: OOR [Netherlands], Rumore [Italy], Blow Up [Italy], Rockerilla [Italy]
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Harold wrote:I said earlier in the Critics' Lists forum that I probably wasn't going to post an update until Monday because of a couple of incomplete lists, but I decided that wasn't really fair. This update adds:

USA/Canada: Pretty Much Amazing, American Songwriter, A.V. Club, Magnet
UK: MusicOMH [#6-100], The Guardian [#11-40]
Rest of World: OOR [Netherlands], Rumore [Italy], Blow Up [Italy], Rockerilla [Italy]
#7-#11 love how those youngster up and comers are doing so well;)
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

I'm expecting Nepenthe by Julianna Barwick to have the same fate that Anais Mitchell's Hadestown had a few years ago. Showers of praise froms critics but lacking appearance in EOY lists due to it's obscurity and niche market.
Last edited by Mattceinicram on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Mattceinicram wrote:I'm expecting Nepenthe that Julianna Barwick to have the same fate that Anais Mitchell's Hadestown had a few years ago. Showers of praise forms critics but lacking appearance in EOY lists due to it's obscurity and niche market.
I'm not sure about this - remember, most of the big American indie sources haven't been heard from yet. I'm kind of expecting Barwick to do well on those lists. The Magic Place ended up making a respectable showing a couple of years ago, and there's no reason to assume that the much-more-highly acclaimed Nepenthe won't do even better.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

Harold wrote:
I'm not sure about this - remember, most of the big American indie sources haven't been heard from yet. I'm kind of expecting Barwick to do well on those lists. The Magic Place ended up making a respectable showing a couple of years ago, and there's no reason to assume that the much-more-highly acclaimed Nepenthe won't do even better.
Well I'd be more than happy if you are correct!
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Hypothetical question...if the lists stopped today, what kind of artist ranking bumps could we see next update?

Some of my predictions: Kanye and Arcade Fire seem to be guaranteed a spot in the top 50 next update, with Kanye possibly heading for the top 40 with Yeezus's current performance. Given Daft Punk might be adding a career high single and album to their repertoire, both probably guaranteed top 200-250s, I'm not sure a 40 spot artist jump is out of the question.

Possible post update artist rankings:

Kanye West ~ 40
Arcade Fire ~ 45
Daft Punk ~ 65
My Bloody Valentine ~ 95
The National ~ 120
Arctic Monkeys ~ 160
Queens of the Stone Age ~ 185
Vampire Weekend~ 200
cartoken
Are You Experienced?

Post by cartoken »

Illiniq wrote:
cartoken wrote:it's always amusing to see the ranking difference between the US and the Uk, which proves that music is really a subjective thing, mixed with a bit of national pride.
Especially when it comes to certain genres...America's younger generations have all but abandoned Rock 'n' Roll, Funk, The Blues, Soul...it's all hip hop and electronica music for them.

UK seems to still cling to it's Rock 'n' Roll Traditions - (ie see how much stronger Brit Pop like AM and post punk like Savages connects there). Never was this more evident than when the Stone Roses Headlined Coachella...my guess is they would still draw monster crowds in the UK...couldn't pull 5000 for their headlining week 1 set over here.
maybe the music tastes are different for both countries but the top 10 from the US critics is mainly Rock
Illiniq
Strange Fruit

Post by Illiniq »

Harold wrote:
Mattceinicram wrote:I'm expecting Nepenthe that Julianna Barwick to have the same fate that Anais Mitchell's Hadestown had a few years ago. Showers of praise forms critics but lacking appearance in EOY lists due to it's obscurity and niche market.
There's always a couple great albums each year that get the year-end shaft, but Hadestown is by far the most egregious in recent memory...so clearly one of the genuinely great albums of 2010, and such a unique effort, should have been listed there right alongs MBDTF, High Violet, This Is Happening, ArchAndroid, The Suburbs, Sir Lucious Leftfoot et al that year.

Sadly, Mitchell got the same cold shoulder last year with Young Man In America, though that album wasn't quite the showstopper Hadestown was.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

No update just yet - I'd like to wait until the Clash and Playground lists are complete, and hopefully both will be on Wednesday. Since it has been a few days, and I've added quite a number of lists to the spreadsheet, I thought I'd provide a preview here by posting the current top 50 - including a new #1:

1 West, Kanye Yeezus
2 Daft Punk Random Access Memories
4 National, The Trouble Will Find Me
5 Arctic Monkeys AM
6 Haim Days Are Gone
7 Arcade Fire Reflektor
8 Bowie, David The Next Day
9 Cave, Nick and The Bad Seeds Push the Sky Away
10 My Bloody Valentine m b v
11 Vile, Kurt Wakin on a Pretty Daze
12 Queens of the Stone Age …Like Clockwork
13 Savages Silence Yourself
14 Knife, The Shaking the Habitual
15 Monae, Janelle The Electric Lady
16 Disclosure Settle
17 Blake, James Overgrown
18 Callahan, Bill Dream River
19 Phosphorescent Muchacho
20 Hopkins, Jon Immunity
21 Deafheaven Sunbather
22 Grant, John Pale Green Ghosts
23 Chvrches The Bones of What You Believe
24 Boards of Canada Tomorrow's Harvest
25 Foals Holy Fire
26 Marling, Laura Once I Was an Eagle
27 Chance the Rapper Acid Rap
28 Case, Neko The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight …
29 King Krule 6 Feet Beneath the Moon
30 Holter, Julia Loud City Song
31 Parquet Courts Light Up Gold [2012]
32 Deerhunter Monomania
33 These New Puritans Field of Reeds
34 Lorde Pure Heroine
35 Factory Floor Factory Floor
36 Run the Jewels [El-P & Killer Mike] Run the Jewels
37 Brown, Danny Old
38 Hecker, Tim Virgins
39 Earl Sweatshirt Doris
40 Fuck Buttons Slow Focus
41 Isbell, Jason Southeastern
42 Rhye Woman
43 Musgraves, Kacey Same Trailer Different Park
44 Waxahatchee Cerulean Salt
45 Pusha T My Name is My Name
46 Autre Ne Veut Anxiety
47 Atoms for Peace Amok
48 Wilson, Jonathan Fanfare
49 Tegan and Sara Heartthrob
50 Timberlake, Justin The 20/20 Experience [1 of 2]

The current point totals for the top 3 (way ahead of the rest of the pack) are:
Yeezus - 265
Random Access Memories - 250
Modern Vampires of the City - 243
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Harold wrote:1 West, Kanye Yeezus
2 Daft Punk Random Access Memories
Well, it looks like we were all proven wrong :D Yeezus is an unexpected leader, really, it's not nearly as good as MBDTF, and if we're only talking about hip-hop, I actually liked Matangi better.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with the following:

USA/Canada: PopMatters, La Presse [Canada], NPR, Austin Town Hall, AllMusic, Pigeons & Planes [inserted into 1st column of USA section in place of the deleted Amazon list]
UK: The Guardian [#8-10], Clash [#11-40], Drowned in Sound, Thrash Hits, Wire
Rest of World: Jenesaispop [Spain], Nojesguiden (Intl & Natl) [Sweden], Playground (Intl) [Spain], Humo [Belgium], Laut [Germany]

I decided not to wait for Clash to stop being cute and post their goddamned top 10 already.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

I don't think I was ever expecting Kanye to be number 1 this year.
cartoken
Are You Experienced?

Post by cartoken »

Mattceinicram wrote:I don't think I was ever expecting Kanye to be number 1 this year.
this
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

It's kind of ironic. Last time The National lost to Arcade Fire when I thought High Violet was clearly a better album than The Suburbs. This year, the National put out what's (in my opinion) their weakest album since 2004, and The Arcade Fire put out their strongest since 2004...and The National is beating Arcade Fire.

*throws up hands.*

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”