AMF Hall of Acclaim 2009 Edition: Voting Thread

JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

AMF Hall of Acclaim 2009 Edition: Voting Thread

Post by JimmyJazz »

Sorry that this came a little late. Been super busy…

Welcome everybody to the AMF Hall of Acclaim voting thread for the year 2009. This feature was running back in 2008 under the administering of the old AMF member Schleuse, and in some ways this is dedicated to his memory. You can view the current inductees of the Hall in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1328

So how this game works is pretty simple: nominate at least five and no more than ten acts that you feel are deserving of being in the AMF Hall. For your list to be considered eligible, however, you have to provide a brief justification for why you personally feel the top five acts on your list deserve to be inducted. This is only required for the first five acts on your list. Additionally, you can nominate up to three “backstage wing” individuals who you feel deserve to be in the Hall. “Backstage wing” types include songwriters, producers, record company founders/owners, music video directors, and critics/scholars. This is entirely optional, however, and your list will not be deemed ineligible if you don’t nominate anyone in this category. Another thing regarding acts: Please consider their work BEFORE the year 2009 when making your choices.

The point system I will be using is as basic as possible: #1 = 10 pts., #2 = 9 pts., and so on. For the backstage lists, if you only include one person, that person will get 3 points, a 2-person list has the second person get 2 points, and so on. I will keep this poll up until the 9th Saturday night 8:00 pm UTC timezone. The top four vote getters will be the inductees of that year. In the case of a tie, a vote will be used to determine the winner.

For reference, here are the Top 100 acts listed on AM that are not in the Hall (btw you do NOT have to vote for only acts who are on this list):

1. MIA
2. Animal Collective
3. Grateful Dead
4. Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young)
5. Rod Stewart
6. Deep Purple
7. Missy Elliott
8. Jefferson Airplane
9. Sonny Rollins
10. Derek and the Dominoes
11. Grizzly Bear
12. Tim Buckley
13. The National
14. Sigur Ros
15. Herbie Hancock
16. Bon Iver
17. Carole King
18. Morrissey
19. Jackson Browne
20. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
21. Iggy Pop
22. The Verve
23. The Streets
24. Dusty Springfield
25. Motorhead
26. Jimmy Cliff
27. Nico
- Serge Gainsbourg (Forgot initially, but now included)
28. Santana
29. Van Halen
30. Green Day
31. Gang of Four
32. John Cale
33. The Allman Brothers Band
34. Eric B. and Rakim
35. New York Dolls
36. Fleet Foxes
37. Public Image, Ltd.
38. Fugazi
39. The Prodigy
40. Dexys Midnight Runners
41. Manic Street Preachers
42. Four Tops
43. MC5
44. Arctic Monkeys
45. Aphex Twin
46. Weezer
47. Echo and the Bunnymen
48. Buffalo Springfield
49. Gorillaz
50. Alice Cooper
51. Modest Mouse
52. Ike and Tina Turner
53. Spoon
54. Jane’s Addiction
55. Rage Against the Machine
56. Happy Mondays
57. MGMT
58. Robert Wyatt
59. Todd Rundgren
60. Sinead O’Connor
61. Stan Getz
62. Dire Straits
63. Hot Chip
64. Thin Lizzy
65. Bill Evans
66. The Drifters
67. Soundgarden
68. Genesis
69. Traffic
70. M83
71. Yo La Tengo
72. The Modern Lovers
73. Paul McCartney
74. Phoenix
75. Air
76. The Human League
77. The Ronettes
78. Eric Clapton
79. Richard and Linda Thompson
80. Donna Summer
81. Tom Petty
82. Pere Ubu
83. Isaac Hayes
84. The Libertines
85. Count Basie
86. B. B. King
87. Beach House
88. Buzzcocks
89. Lucinda Williams
90. Underworld
91. Fairport Convention
92. Tricky
93. Spiritualized
94. Little Feat
95. Antony and the Johnstons
96. Suicide
97. Mott the Hoople
98. Justin Timberlake
99. Amy Winehouse

Once again, apologies that I couldn’t post more detailed statistics about the aforementioned acts. My schedule has been swamped.
Last edited by JimmyJazz on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Re: AMF Hall of Acclaim 2009 Edition: Voting Thread

Post by JimmyJazz »

To get things started, here is my ballot:

1. MIA (One of the greatest music acts to emerge in the new millennium, forming a unique sound and image synthesizing hip-hop, punk, and her own South Asian heritage. A creator of passionate political messages that speak to the modern day, post-9/11 immigrant in the Western world. Oh, and she is the act who is just outside the AM Top 100, so there is that too :D )
2. Dusty Springfield (The greatest "blue-eyed soul" singer of all time, with all due respects to the likes of Jagger, Bowie, and Winehouse. Has one of the best voices I've ever heard, and the song "Son of a Preacher Man" and the album Dusty in Memphis are both bona fide classics.)
3. Nat King Cole (In many ways, one of the most important singers of the twentieth century, paving the way for smooth, cool, and suave black performers like Gaye, Brown, Cooke, and Green, and tremendous influence on the R&B genre. Once again, one of the finest voices who ever lived.)
4. Siousxie and the Banshees (A highly influential and important punk band. Very important for women in the realm of the rock and alternative genres, and great songwriting and sound.)
5. Deep Purple (Along with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, the foremost architects of the hard rock/metal genre. In many ways, compared to the two previously mentioned bands, possibly the most tasteful and intelligent musically speaking.)
6. Serge Gainsbourg (Thanks to Pierre's ballot, I was reminded that Serge is unbelievably not in the Hall! Hopefully it will be remedied with this voting!)
7. The National
8. Echo and the Bunnymen
9. Morrissey
10. Sonny Rollins
Last edited by JimmyJazz on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

1. Cocteau Twins: quite simply the band that started Dreampop which evolved into shoegaze, c86, twee even highly influential on acclaimed dark metal acts as Deftones and Deafheaven. Now that is coming a long, long way. The list of bands they've influenced is in the millions. Everyone MBV, Spacemen 3 and JAMC have influenced can also be mentioned in the same breath as the Cocteaus.

2. Dusty Springfield- Almost anything female and British nowadays sounds so much in dept to this icon it's just starting to get tiring.

3. Teenage Fanclub: They just keep getting better and more melodic with every album. They never get their due even though you can always count on them creating catchy memorable glorious gems.

Manic Street Preachers - The Welsh need representation too and these riveting rockers reward with their relentless rhythmically ferocious glory. They keep putting out universally stellar stunners with sonically shimmering sentiment.

4. Saint Etienne: At first despised amongst their "Britpop" piers they got the last laugh because to this day this eclectic ensemble elevates electrifying elements with their bombastic blend of blistering beats and sunny surprises with each riveting release.

5. Shonen Knife- Can't really think of any twee bands who predated them so they must be considered one of the first and cutest no doubt. Plus the were massive in Japan at one time which is beyond rare;)

6. Lilys
7. The Divine Comedy
8. Liz Phair
9. Whitney Houston
10. Gore Gore Girls

*NON Musician/Production Wing
-Rodney Bingenheimer
-John Peel
-Kim Fowley
-Phil Spector
-Dick Clark
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

luvulongTIM, for the backstage wing, two of those individuals (Spector and Peel) are already in the Hall. Would you like me to consider the other three people on that list as ranked from 1-3, top to bottom?
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Definitely. In fact I'll make Rodney my new #1 above the Cocteau Twins. In short he was the first to play just about everyone from Ramones to Coldplay, Smiths, Cure, Blur, Oasis, Blondie, X, YYYs, Strokes, Travis, Bowie, Nirvana, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Runaways, the Donnas, Suede, Pulp, the Clash, Ash, Elastica, Ride, Siouxsie..., The Pandoras, James, Hole, Garbage, Red Kross, Bratmobile, the Sweet, T.Rex, Roxy Music, Belle and Sebastain, Alice Cooper, Wire, the Buzzcocks, Thin Lizzy, Gary Glitter, Silverhead, Kate Bush, Sex Pistols, Bauhaus,Garbage,the Stone Roses, Supergrass, the Damned, Dickies, Dead Kennedy's, the Germs, X Ray Spex, Bow Wow Wow, Bad Religion, NOFX, Elvis Costello, Sonic Youth, The Blasters, No Doubt, Doves, Elbow, Green Day, Manic Street Preachers, the Cramps, the Specials, Trashcan Sinatras, Placebo, The Divine Comedy, The Sundays, the Happy Mondays, Madness, the English Beat, Black Flag, Bikini Kill, Gore Gore Girls, Clinic, Dandy Warhol's, Sleater-Kinney, Catherine Wheel, Nina Hagen, Suzy Quatro, the Go Gos, The Bangles, Bananarama, Oingo Boingo, Dramarama, The Negro Problem, the Horrors, The Sounds, Phantom Planet, The Killers, Interpol, Hot Hot Heat, Muse, The Circle Jerks, the Chills,
the Postmarks, Slade....I can go on for days not to mention being a stand in for Davy Jones and the proud owner of LA's legendary English Disco. Definitely my #1 in every sense of the word.
Last edited by luvulongTIM on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

1. Modest Mouse (Without a doubt one of my top ten artists of all time. The perfect combination of powerful, intelligent lyricism with a bold, guitar-based sound that works as well in their early lo-fi and their popular success.)
2. Weezer (Everyone knows about the two albums of perfect power pop Weezer were responsible for in the mid-90s and their intense intimacy, but Weezer's back catalog contains some of the most incredible unmade songs ever, including my #2 song of all time.)
3. Godspeed You! Black Emperor (GY!BE distill post-rock into everything it can and should be - cinematic, profound, beautiful. Every other post-rock artist sits in their shadow.)
4. Steve Reich (The greatest minimalist composer. Besides his magnum opus Music for 18 Musicians, works like "Electric Counterpoint" and "Drumming" define the phasing techniques that made him such a genius.)
5. Aphex Twin (The man who took techno and ripped it to shreds. Everything from brostep to Flying Lotus to avant-garde electronica draws inspiration from the bizarre soundscapes of Richard D. James.
6. R. Kelly
7. Billy Joel
8. Boards of Canada
9. Lucinda Williams
10. The Allman Brothers Band
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

The twist should be that you should only consider the output of those bands BEFORE 2009, meaning for instance that you should not take into account Merriweather Post Pavilion so Animal Collective should be lower on the "theoretical list" or that Fleet Foxes should for now be considered a one album (and one EP) band.
Mindrocker
Let's Get It On

Post by Mindrocker »

This seems like a fun game. But I'm a bit at loss why it's called the 2009 edition. Does that indicate next month we get the 2010 edition, until we reach 2014?

Anyway, here are my nominations:

1. 13th Floor Elevators.
Texan acid eaters who more or less invented psychedelia with their debut The Psychedelic Sounds Of.... (1966). An album so trippy for its time, if you played the record it threatened to float right out of the window. A serious trip which caused many to flip, including Elevators frontman Roky Erickson himself. After digesting so much hallucinogens and many drug-busts with the police he was diagnosed with schizophrenia and disappeared for years in a mental hospital. After he (sort of) recovered since the early 80s Roky also made a couple of neat albums under his own name.

2. Bobby Bland.
The greatest but underrated bluesy soul artist of 'em all. Bobby Bland started in the early 50s in a more traditional blues idiom but at the end of the decade veered towards what we now consider soul music, which at that stage was still in its infancy. With his album Two Steps From The Blues, Bobby (1961) helped define Soul and continued to so with quality songs and albums deep into the 70s.

3. The Residents.
Dadaism translated into music. Absurdism for the sake of it, in comparision they even make Beefheart or Zappa sound like mainstream pop acts. But as out-there as The Residents seem, hiding behind their eyeball disguises, they also have an unmistakable knack for catchy melodies. And something ultra-rare among experimental artists, their music is chockfull of humor. Children love The Residents, it's adults who usually don't get them.

4. Autechre.
Contemporaries of Aphex Twin, but even more mathematic. With every new release the sonic labyrinths created by Autechre get more complicated and deeper.

5. Fats Navarro.
Brilliant trumpeter from the 40s bebop era who could give Dizzy Gillespie a run for his money. Navarro recorded little music under his own name but delivered many virtuoso contributions to historical bop sessions By Tadd Dameron, Dizzy Gillespie, Illinois Jacquet, Charlie Parker, Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis and Kenny Clarke. He died unfortunately at a very early age (26 years). Nowadays it's not too difficult to find a compilation of his collected works.

6. Faust
7. Ulver
8. Pere Ubu
9. Tortoise
10. Scott Joplin

Backstage wing:
1. Coxsone Dodd (Studio One owner/producer)
2. Wrecking Crew (legendary L.A. session troupe who in the 60s played on a gazillion pop/jazz/soundtrack sessions, including the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds/Smile dates).
3. Conny Plank (principal krautrock producer, also many new wave/postpunk acts in the 80s).
4. Ike Turner (not only a great musician in his own right but in the 50s also a producer/talent scout for innumerous R&B acts including Howlin' Wolf, Bobby Bland and Elmore James and of course his future wife Tina).
5. Chris Blackwell (Island Rec. boss)
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

1. Built to Spill
Forget Pavement, Built to Spill released the greatest indie trilogy of the 90s, with gut wrenching evocative guitar, wonderful lyrics and a constant evolution.
2. Modest Mouse
Modest Mouse is actually one of the very few bands to have in my book a trilogy that can compare with Built to Spill 90s output (from The Lonesome Crowded West to Good News For People Who Love Bad News). Both bands basically share the same qualities, Modest Mouse behind the rawer side of the coin.
3. Puppetmastaz
Talking about trilogies, Puppetmastaz first 3 albums make my favorite hip-hop 3 albums run (which might be a bit different if I liked Graduation a bit more). Unfairly overlooked, partly for not being really innovative, they deliver catchy samples and killer lines by the truckload. Plus at the end of 2008 they were still to release a dud (which would happen in 2009...)
4. Hot Chip
Though I like Hot Chip's next 2 albums, their best 2 had already been released at the end of 2008, putting melancholy back on the dancefloor with an obvious talent for catchy pop melodies and a knack for irresistable beats.
5. Animal Collective
While I imagine some people would wait next year's Merriweather Post Pavilion to vote for them, I consider Feels to be the game changing album in their discography, the one that set a new standard in adventurous indie rock (and Strawberry Jam is a great album, and Leaf House a wonderful song...)
6. IAM
There are 2 bands to know in French hip-hop, and IAM will always top NTM in my heart as the defining French rap band
7. Gorillaz
8. Rage Against the Machine
9. At the Drive-In
10. Fugazi : probably the band the most overlooked in the forum compared to the AM list !
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

OK, I never took part in a game here before, but I'll bite to this one. I'm gonna do a pretty suicidal one though. :mrgreen: (because I'm 100% sure that none of these acts will be inducted, except maybe 1 or 2)

1. Soda Stereo
The greatest band singing in Spanish. They have sold albums by the millions, and they are considered in Latin America as a kind of latino U2.

2. Serge Gainsbourg
The guy wrote truckloads of French seminal songs. Everybody here knows Melody Nelson already (I guess...), but he has done much more, for him and for others (Vanessa Paradis, France Gall, Alain Bashung, Alain Chamfort, Jane Birkin, and so on).

3. Léo Ferré
He might be the single greatest French chanson singer of all times. His songs showcase a versatile songwriting style with one of the most prolific vocabulary from any chanson songwriter. Favourites: "Avec le temps", "La Mémoire et la Mer", "La Solitude", "C'est extra" (this one has aged badly though)...

4. Andrés Calamaro
A recent discovery, and one of the most pleasant. He is seen as one the biggest Argentinian rockers of all times. His double album "Honestidad brutal" is one of the most expensive Spanigh-language albums ever (250 000 dollars), having done roughly a hundred songs, of which "only" 37 ended on the album.

5. Alain Bashung
This guy is the most underrated French rock singers of all times out there. Half of his albums are classics, and some songs, such as "La nuit je mens", "Ma petite entreprise", "Gaby oh Gaby", "Résidents de la République" or "Osez Joséphine" are legendary here in France.

6. Mecano
A really sweet Spanish pop act of the 80s. "Hijo de la luna" or "Mujer contra mujer" are among the most beautiful pop ballads I ever heard.

7. Noir Désir
The greatest French rock band of all time, they just brought grunge to the hexagon, included some French influences in it and turned their sound into a sonic alternative revolution. "Tostaky", "L'Homme pressé", "Un jour en France", "Le vent l'emportera", "Aux sombres héros de la mer"...

8. IAM
They authored the French hip-hop album "L'École du micro d'argent", if you understood French lyrics, it should have been enough. :music-rockon:

9. Animal Collective
Although they don't seem to be gathering much votes so far, probably due to their last outputs, I still fondly remember "Strawberry Jam" and "Merriweather Post Pavilion".

10. Underworld
The guys who made me fall in love with electronic music. Give me more of "Cowgirl", "Born Slippy", "Juanita/Kiteless/This Dream of Love", "Pearl's Girl", "Jumbo"...

Backstage wing:
1. Chris Blackwell
I can't believe he's not in yet!

2. Pierre Barouh
Mostly remembered by many as the guy who sang the title song of "A Man and a Woman/Un homme et une femme" alongside Nicole Croisille, he is most of all the guy who introduced Bossa Nova in France before founding the "Saravah" label, on which some seminal French acts recorded, such as Brigitte Fontaine, Jacques Higelin or Jean-Roger Caussimon.

3. Dee Nasty
French DJ who practically created the French hip-hop subculture. I hesitated much with Geldof and Ezrin, but I thought I should not stop my suicidal wave :mrgreen:

4. Bob Ezrin
5. Bob Geldof
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Here are a couple of replies:

Nassim: That sounds like a good idea! I'll add it to the rules at the top.
Mindrocker: This week, we are inducting acts under the pretense that this is currently 2009. Next week, it will be 2010, this will repeat until the first week of December when we will induct acts for 2013.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

JimmyJazz, is it permissible to nominate only in the builders category?
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Sure Doc :)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Nassim wrote:The twist should be that you should only consider the output of those bands BEFORE 2009, meaning for instance that you should not take into account Merriweather Post Pavilion so Animal Collective should be lower on the "theoretical list" or that Fleet Foxes should for now be considered a one album (and one EP) band.
JimmyJazz wrote:Nassim: That sounds like a good idea! I'll add it to the rules at the top.
Well, I'm hesitating about keeping my vote for Animal Collective now. But since my favourite album by them is SJ, I think I won't change it in the end.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Ok In the behind the scenes category:

1.) Barry Beckett, Roger Hawkins, Jimmy Johnson and David Hood ("the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section"). Founded the Muscle Shoals Recording Studio, arguably as important in the 70's and 80's, and continuing through today, as Berry Gordon's studio in the 60's or Sun Studios in the 50's. Artists who recorded there include the Rolling Stones (Sticky Fingers), Herbie Mann, Aretha Franklin, Bob Seger, Alabama, Lynard Skynard, Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel (separately), right up to the Drive-By Truckers, Bettye LaVette and the Alabama Shakes. The original studio itself is on the U.S. Register of National Historic Places. (Edit: sorry - forgot it's only 2009!)

2.) T-Bone Burnett. A record producer since 1972, his credits include everyone from B.B. King to the Wallflowers, with two Grammys (Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, Raising Sand and the O Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack) and one Oscar for Best Original Song (The Weary Kind from "Crazy Heart"). A musician himself, he was guitarist for Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Review.

3.) Jimmy Iovine. Legendary producer. Bruce Springsteen, from "Born to Run" to "Tunnel of Love" should be enough said.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Has Bernie Taupin been inducted in the Backstage Wing? He deserves credit for writing EJs most epic pieces such as Candle in the a Wind , Your Song, Levon and Daniel. Think he's the main reason EJ doesn't get name dropped as often as he should here although he did surprisingly well in our last poll. If Elton's here so should the brains behind craft and creativity.

BACKSTAGE WING

1-5. Rodney Bingenheimer
6. Kim Fowley: both he and Rodney considered Mayor of the Sunset Strip at one point. Runaways creator who would have NEVER gotten away with sexifying teenage girls (all be it with tremendous talent) the way he did back than NOW. Kind a like the John Waters of 70s glam/hard rock with his wild perversion and raunchy imagery. Recently FINALLY buried the hatchet with Lita and yes Cherie Currie.

7. Dr. Demento (come on bring some comedy to the HOF so many songwriters take themselves so seriously and believe the own SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........AVING CREAM;)
8. Bernie Taupin
9. Dick Clark
10. Don Cornelious (especially after dreaming I bought some wind chimes from him at his yard sale;)
Last edited by luvulongTIM on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

luvulongTIM, I'll tally your revised backstage list, but I will only allocate points for the top 3 people you mentioned.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Thread bump! So far, we have five acts who have received more than one vote, and there is currently no consensus on the Backstage inductee. Get voting guys!
Poliuks
Wannabe

Post by Poliuks »

1. Animal Collective - undoubtly one of the leading groups of the new millenium, at their best they manage to merge weirdness and fun and create innovative, trippy mixture (and Leaf House is, indeed, a wonderful song)
2. Cocteau Twins - as luvulongTIM pointed out, ancestors of countless shoegaze groups... which doesn't really impress me quite as much as Elizabeth Frazer's vocals; I know, calling someone an angel is kinda pretentious, but I can't really think of better comparision this time. Anyway, they deserve credit and inclusion for both factors.
3. Tricky - no one can make druggy decadence this fascinating and seductive; Maxinquaye is currently my no. 1 for the 90s. Excellent producer too.
4. This Heat - Not the most uplifting group of all time, but their two experimental albums predate post-rock and still sound original and fresh.
5. Albert Ayler - possibly my favorite jazz musician, with solos of rarely seen raw emotional power - I am not much of a film expert, but I think Bergman's Cries and Whispers is a good comparision; Spiritual Unity is highly recommended.
6. Derek & the Dominoes
7. Elmore James
8. Carole King
9. Santana
10. Lee Morgan
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

JimmyJazz wrote:6. Serge Gainsbourg (Thanks to Pierre's ballot, I was reminded that Serge is unbelievably not in the Hall! Hopefully it will be remedied with this voting!)
You're welcome, and by the way, I don't want to be a bother, but could you fix your first post to add him to the Top 100? I believe some people might not notice him because of his absence. Not that sure he would get in anyway though...
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

1. Serge Gainsbourg : the number one of all the autor/composers in this galaxy... and "je t'aime, moi non plus" What else?
2. Alain Bashung : an absolute stylish guy who created some of the best French songs of all times.
3. Sigur Ros : the best show I have ever seen come from their, wonderful songs, full of energy and grace.
4. Dusty Springfield : one of my favourite all time singer.
5. George Brassens : Il earn French with this guy and I continue to discover the beauty of the language thanks to him.
6. MGMT
7. Gorillaz
8. Antony and the Johnstons
9. Arctic Monkeys
10. The Libertines

Backstage wing : Michel Gondry for all the superb videos clip he made.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Cool list, Romain. However, Michel Gondry is already in the Backstage wing. Do you have another person you would like to nominate?
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

1. Sigur Ros - Really unique sound. I had an idea of just making sounds that fit to the music, and that's exactly what they're doing.
2. Jimmy Cliff - Almost as important to reggae as Bob Marley. Has done a long career of good music, but only the early stuff is recognized by critics, which is okay.
3. Green Day - Dookie from what I've read was groundbreaking, but I think their best album is American Idiot. A huge hit with the public, makes everything else that they've done sound worse, if you know what I mean.
4. MIA - Two great albums with really good flow, and of course Paper Planes is a really awesome song on its own.
5. Paul McCartney - Ram is so underrated, a really great album with great melodies. Band on the Run is a little overrated IMO. Then there are a few okay albums. He is kind of unlucky to have three albums bubbling under, should be a little higher on this site.
6. Gorillaz - I like them a lot better than Blur, which is weird. I think actually Plastic Beach is their best album, so they would be higher if 2010 was taken into account.
7. R. Kelly - I really like the Space Jam song. Ignition is good too.
I feel like that
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

1. B.B. King- Simply one of the biggest and most influential figures in blues music. His innovations on the guitar are still heard today

2. Grateful Dead- One of the most prominent figures in classic psychedelic rock. These guys inspired generations of dead-heads to come.

3. Sigur Ros- Kings of post-rock. Albums like Agaetis Byrjun and () are simply mesmerizing.

4. Justin Timberlake- He is by far the most important figure in today's mainstream pop figure. Call him the modern day Michael Jackson if you will.

5. Modest Mouse- I don't think there is an indie-rock band out there who wouldn't list these guys as a major influence. They have a very unique signature guitar sound.

6. MIA
7. Herbie Hancock
8. Serge Gainsbourg
9. Paul McCartney
10. Dusty Springfield
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

1. Soda Stereo
The biggest rock band of Argentina. Excellent musicians, their surreal lyrics seem to have no apparent meaning, rather they have a different meaning for each person who will listen. They did not write music, They made feelings. They were the perfect blend of romance and eroticism, passion and melancholy, popularity and quality.

2. Andrés Calamaro
Calamaro has a great ability: Even his song with the simplest melody has a complex meaning. His songs have perfect structures, and each of their notes is honest. You might as well remove the voice to any of his songs, and the feeling that causes would probably not change. Or you could take away the music and you would stay with a very, very good poem.

3. Shonen Knife
Simple and fun songs. I've always been in love with Ritsuko Taneda. Man, she is perfect. Have any you ever wondered what would happen if the Ramones would have been tender Japanese girls? Yes, they would have been Shonen Knife.

4. Rockdrigo González
The quintessential rock musician. (Although he played mostly folk.) He was an intellectual who changed Freud's books by a guitar and a harmonica. He played for the city, and the city itself took him. It was the main exponent of called Cave Rock (Rock Rupestre), which he describes thus:
"Not that cave musicians have escaped from the old Museum of Natural Sciences, much less, from the Museum of Anthropology, nor who have come from the hills hidden in a truck full of chickens and beans. But that is only a name that hang all those who are not very handsome, nor have tenor voice, nor compose like the great heights of aesthetic wisdom, or worse, do not have sophisticated electronic equipment full of sinters and very crazy effects to amaze the first clueless guy who passes by."

5. Café Tacvba
The best Mexican rock band. They have an advantage: They get all the influence from music in english language, plus Latin music influences. They are not only a very good band, but represent very well the Latin American culture, with all its contradictions and contrasts.

6. Estopa
7. Quiero Club
8. Las Ultrasónicas
9. Manu Chao
10. Joaquín Sabina
Last edited by Blanco on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

1. Todd Rundgren/Utopia - one of the most prolific innovators for the past 40 years. My favorites by Todd include: Hello It's Me, I Saw the Light, Can We Still Be Friends, Compassion, Just One Victory, The Last Ride, Love Is the Answer, We Gotta Get You a Woman, Bang the Drum All Day, Be Nice To Me, Caravan, Chain Letter, A Dream Goes On Forever, Fidelity, Hideaway, Hope I'm Around, It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference, Izaat Love?, Long Flowing Robe, No World Order, Parole, Property, Real Man, Sometimes I Don't Know What to Feel, Time Heals, Couldn't I Just Tell You, Dust In the Wind, Crybaby, Mated, Mimi Gets Mad, and The Ikon

2. Style Council - Paul Weller's vocals are sublime. My favorites include: My Ever Changing Moods, You're the Best Thing, How She Threw It All Away, Heavens Above, The Cost of Loving, Boy Who Cried Wolf, The Lodgers, and Shout to the Top

3. Allman Brothers - One of the first big time Southern Rock bands. Fantastic dual guitars from Dickie Betts and Duane Allman. My favorites include: Whipping Post, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, Blue Sky, Melissa, Ramblin' Man, Southbound, and Jessica

4. Joe Jackson - eclectic performer who readily adapted to include jazz elements in his new wave masterpieces. Favorites include: You Can't Get What You Want, Breaking Us In Two, Is She Really Going Out With Him?, It's Different for Girls, Steppin' Out, Be My Number Two, Don't Wanna Be Like That, One More Time and Pretty Girls

5. Genesis - One of the more talented prog rock innovators with both Gabriel and Collins as front men. Favorites include: Behind the Lines, Home By the Sea, Throwing It All Away, Misunderstanding, In Too Deep, Taking It All Too Hard, Invisible Touch, Please Don't Ask, Turn It On Again, ABACAB and Follow You, Follow Me

6. Joe Satriani
7. Peter Gabriel
8. Santana
9. Carole King
10. Jackson Browne
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

JimmyJazz wrote:Cool list, Romain. However, Michel Gondry is already in the Backstage wing. Do you have another person you would like to nominate?
Thanks JimmyJazz. For the Backstage wing, I have nobody in my mind.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Ok, Romain.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Thread bump! Two more days guys, get those votes in! From the last thread, Henrik, JamieW, Gillingham, Kingoftonga, Stephan, and Bruno said they wanted to vote. To entice people to submit some more ballots, I'll drop hints as to who is performing well. The current leaders are a famous French rocker, a 60s soul singer, a band from Iceland, and a band named after a Virginia Woolf line. A certain Sri Lankan rapper and a notable indie band who will release their greatest work this particular year are not too far behind! As for the Backstage Wing, still no consensus.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Jimmy, I'll add five musician votes to help (or hinder) tie-breakers.

1. Carole King. Critically under-rated songwriter, she forms, along with James Taylor, the link between Tin Pan Alley and the singer-songwriter genre. Unfortunately, her second album, Tapestry was such a huge success that her much more modest output over the last forty years has been mostly ignored.

2. Carlos Santana. Great guitarist. First live show I ever saw (on the Abraxas tour, to date myself.) Had a second wind with his duets album early in the 00's which introduced him to a whole new generation, and deservedly so. Never went away for lovers of Latin Jazz.

3. Rage Against The Machine. Politically motivated music that captures the anger of the times, plus kick ass raps, plus blistering nu-metal guitars. What's not to love?

4. Billy Joel. Ok, huge amounts of pop-cheese at his worst, but at his best (Piano Man, New York State of Mind, Movin' Out) he was the quintessential 70's songwriter.

5. B.B. King is not in the Hall of Acclaim? What, nobody loves him but his mother? And she could be jiving too?
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Thanks, Doc! :greetings-waveyellow:
blackandbianco
Start Me Up

Post by blackandbianco »

Wow, so many fantastic artists, at least half of that top 100 in AM not in yet I would really like to put votes to. However one "year" at a time. Many of them have to me (and most people I think) greatness based on just 1, 2, 3 albums, so I will try to focus on those with a bigger discography to base on, not to mention some have released some great work since 2009. Here it goes:

1. Herbie Hancock - Bridged the gap between many styles inside and outside of jazz, from his days with Miles Davis to his more funk based style in the 70s especially with Head Hunters, an accessible yet not compromising landmark in the canon of the great jazz albums. Still very much active, if not on the highest level of things, to this time as well.

2. B.B. King - Somewhat understandably not a huge favorite here, can be hard to get to the best of his work what with no definitive and obvious great studio album(s) necessarily, and not all of his prolific discography is always too great, but then again, ultimately he is not called the King of the Blues for no reason. A master of an instrument and a style, easy to overlook among others sometimes, but definitely worth a lot.

3. Nina Simone - Not sure what I have to go on about with her, but anyone familiar knows it well. From the voice to the piano to hopping between genres and encompassing many at the same time, criminally underrated on the site's rankings somehow, because she does have at least a couple of albums and songs I would think would show up often enough on the lists, and yet even "Sinnerman" does not seem to even be bubbling under.

4. Aphex Twin - Would have one of the best cases here even for just "Windowlicker" or many of his single best works which are so often varied from one person to the next, and yet, his prolific discography (which personally I do have much to explore in yet) is one of the most influential across genres in recent decades I think. He's the sort of artist that can drag you away from listening to anything else very easily if you're not careful.

5. Eric B. & Rakim - Admittedly, their work doesn't always stand up as well as a listening experience today, due to the advancements in the artistry of hip hop albums shortly after Paid in Full, but no less a hugely important duo with some still very sweet tracks, Eric B's production work doesn't sound completely smooth today always, but no less enjoyable necessarily and groundbreaking for virtually all hip hop coming after, with Rakim's constant confident raps just going on and on about themselves without him raising his voice, masterful.

Listing any more right now is just too difficult, so just those five for this time I guess.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

Sorry I have so little time, it was hard enough getting the list together...

1. Nina Simone - A master of so many genres, the difficulty to pin her down has hurt her in the realm of acclaim. It is time to make that right. Also, I can think of very few who could write their own work as well as interpret standards as amazingly as Nina.

2. Gil Scott-Heron - The true progenitor of rap, but with great songs that also bridge into jazz. His entire '70s output is worth checking out, and it's curious that he isn't feted more.

3. Sun Ra - Of all the avant garde musicians, Sun Ra was the most truly OUT, in sound and vision and character. Just the sheer amount of great records he realized over a 3-decade period should get him in immediately.

4. Os Mutantes - The best Brazilian group of 'em all, absurdist rockers whose music somehow stands the test of time better than so many of their anglo counterparts.

5. Boredoms - Starting out as true guerrilla art, the amazing moment was when they morphed into a far east, turn of the millennium Can.

6. The Shangri-Las - How are they not in already?
7. The Ronettes - How are THEY not in already?
8. Caetano Veloso - A master
9. Prefab Sprout - Some of the best pop songwriting ever, really
10. Mercury Rev - If the Lips are in, they should be too.

Wish I could've made room for:

Serge Gainsbourg (looks like he's got the votes)
This Heat (just not quite enough of a catalog, but my what a catalog)
Moondog (the greatest outsider artist still sadly on the outside...)
The Roots (they really should be in, yikes)
Gal Costa
Milton Nascimento
Jorge Ben
Antonio Carlos Jobim
Gilberto Gil
Alice Coltrane
Anthony Braxton
Super Furry Animals
Don Cherry
Stereolab
Blind Willie Johnson (wish I could fit him, he belongs with the other blues artists in there)
Pharoah Sanders
Art Ensemble of Chicago
Carla Bley
Archie Shepp
Albert Ayler
Disco Inferno
Faust
Nico

Plus some modern classical that may or may not eventually belong...

Steve Reich
Arvo Part
Gyorgy Ligeti
Philip Glass
Krzysztof Penderecki
Julius Eastman
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

JimmyJazz wrote:Thread bump! Two more days guys, get those votes in! From the last thread, Henrik, JamieW, Gillingham, Kingoftonga, Stephan, and Bruno said they wanted to vote. To entice people to submit some more ballots, I'll drop hints as to who is performing well. The current leaders are a famous French rocker, a 60s soul singer, a band from Iceland, and a band named after a Virginia Woolf line. A certain Sri Lankan rapper and a notable indie band who will release their greatest work this particular year are not too far behind! As for the Backstage Wing, still no consensus.
I'm really sorry (especially since I did say I'd vote), but I probably won't have time after all, since I don't have time to prepare comments. I just recently started a new job, and it's more time-consuming than I ever would've imagined. For the same reason, I haven't been able to volunteer to help with the 4,000 song spreadsheet, as much as I'd like to. I still hope to submit a list of albums and songs for 1989, but it'll likely be just a rehash of a past list I made. I really do love the variety of artists I've seen mentioned so far in this thread, and look forward to following it whenever I do find time.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

11 more hours guys! If you want to vote, get your ballots in while you still can!
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I might not have time to get to the backstage guys, sadly. Here's my frontstage list:
1- Game Theory
They released two of the best albums of the 80s. It's a shame nobody knows abou them.
2- Van Halen
I'll admit they have some bad music, but their debut was stellar and they had a steady flow of good singles after that.
3- Green Day
Again, I realize they've given us some really bad music, but "Dookie" and "Good Riddance" are enough to get my vote.
4- The Cars
These guys had one of the best debut albums of all time!
5- Def Leppard
So they had some really bad hair metal songs (I'm noticing a theme here), they also had some amazing songs.
6- Billy Joel
The Piano Man, Long Island native. What's not to love?
7- Foo Fighters
They don't get as much respect as they should because of Dave Grohl living in the shadow of Kurt Cobain, but thy're an great band.
8- Tom Petty
9- Soundgarden
10- Boston
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

1. Ennio Morricone - I love film music and Morricone is my favorite composer. His scores for Leone's Dollar trilogy (including of course "The Good the Bad and the Ugly") and "Once Upon a Time in the West" are absolute classics.
2. Nina Simone - I am very surprised she's not already in. Had she not become a forum favorite yet in 2009?
3. Low - Another artist that has gained popularity here lately, and deservedly so. The slowcore masters.
4. Brian Eno - Another surprise if he's not been inducted yet. I don't see him in any of the lists. Have you missed him somewhere, JimmyJazz?
5. Dead Can Dance - I've known and liked this band for a long time, but they really clicked with me earlier this year. Totally unique. Well, they have many followers but no one can match them.
6. Astor Piazzolla
7. Orchestra Baobab
8. Serge Gainsbourg
9. Genesis
10. Iron Maiden
11. Judas Priest (if Eno is already inducted)
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

1. Aphex Twin

Not the first electronic artist by any stretch, but definitely the one responsible for bringing electronica into the modern age. For about ten years there, his output was unimpeachable, and is still wildly influential.

2. Iggy Pop

Sure, he's already in for the Stooges. But I think Iggy is deserving for a solo entry as well; The Idiot and Lust for Life are both excellent albums, and "The Passenger" is one of my favorite songs.

3. Jefferson Airplane

Surprised that they're not in. They burned out quickly, but for a brief moment there in the late 60s they were one of the best psychedelic acts around, and their ability to mesh this psychedelia with their pop sensibilities makes them worthy of admission.

4. Rage Against the Machine

Don't blame them for the rap rock sludge that followed. They did it the right way, with real anger and conviction, and their recent number one in Britain for "Killing in the Name" shows that they are symbolic of a wider musical populism and anger against cookie-cutter music.

5. Faust

The most enigmatic of the Krautrockers, which is saying a lot, considering the genre. They could do minimalistic drone music, such as their collaboration with Tony Conrad, but could also thread together quickly-changing music that was anything but minimal, such as The Faust Tapes.

6. Yo La Tengo

No one album is really a masterpiece, but they've been remarkably consistent for decades.

7. Dire Straits

I think they're an underrated band, with some good songwriting and (naturally) excellent guitar work from Knopfler.

Backstage nominees:
Ryan Schreiber - founder of Pitchfork, which (like it or not) defined Internet music criticism.
Robert Moog - Inventor of the synthesizer, which is easily as influential on popular music as the electric guitar.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Henrik wrote:1. Ennio Morricone - I love film music and Morricone is my favorite composer. His scores for Leone's Dollar trilogy (including of course "The Good the Bad and the Ugly") and "Once Upon a Time in the West" are absolute classics.
2. Nina Simone - I am very surprised she's not already in. Had she not become a forum favorite yet in 2009?
3. Low - Another artist that has gained popularity here lately, and deservedly so. The slowcore masters.
4. Brian Eno - Another surprise if he's not been inducted yet. I don't see him in any of the lists. Have you missed him somewhere, JimmyJazz?
5. Dead Can Dance - I've known and liked this band for a long time, but they really clicked with me earlier this year. Totally unique. Well, they have many followers but no one can match them.
6. Astor Piazzolla
7. Orchestra Baobab
8. Serge Gainsbourg
9. Genesis
10. Iron Maiden
Awesome list, Henrik! Regarding Nina, I think she's become more of a forum favorite recently, going over older polls. As for Eno, yikes! That list of inductees I posted on the last thread was copied straight from the archived poll in the forum polls section. I guess he didn't get in! Too late for me to change the list now to make much of a difference, but this week he's #1 on my ballot for 2010!
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

1. Siouxsie and the Banshees - I'm elevating them to #1 to give them a boost. They are so much more than punk, post-punk, or goth. One of the most diverse and capable artists of the last 40 years.

2. Janet Jackson - My favorite artist not yet inducted. She defined pop music for me for awhile.

3. Kylie Minogue - Her run of albums from 1997-2003 is absolutely stunning.

4. Annie - Even with just 2 eligible albums at this point, she would threaten my top 10 of all time.

5. Brian Eno - I can't believe how long it took for me to get into him despite loving Roxy Music. A true genius.

6. Grace Jones

7. Aaliyah

8. Missy Elliott

9. Annie Lennox

10. Donna Summer
Mindrocker
Let's Get It On

Post by Mindrocker »

JimmyJazz wrote:As for Eno, yikes! That list of inductees I posted on the last thread was copied straight from the archived poll in the forum polls section. I guess he didn't get in! Too late for me to change the list now to make much of a difference, but this week he's #1 on my ballot for 2010!
Eno is already in the backstage wing hall of fame. He is of course a very important musician as well, but is that allowed, having entries in both halls?
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I certainly think it can be.
StationToStation
Start Me Up

Post by StationToStation »

Here's 10 off the eligible list given for '09, not much time for detail but here goes:

1. Iggy Pop
Imagine The Stooges are in from before, Iggy solo deserves to get his solo work in now as well. "Lust For Life" one of the finest albums of the 70's, easily.
2. Van Halen
Throw away Van Hagar for a moment and the early years is enough to get them in.
3. Sigur Ros
4. Weezer
5. Fugazi
I'm afraid their discography is just as impressive if not more than impressive than just about all the artists I've got here.
6. Jane's Addiction
7. Rage Against The Machine
8. Soundgarden
9. Genesis
Gabriel and/or Collins...it's time for Genesis to be inducted.
10. Paul McCartney

Thanks!
StationToStation
Start Me Up

Post by StationToStation »

Oops, justification for 3 and 4:

3. Sigur Ros
One of the most powerful and consistent acts since the century began. Anytime I point back to where the century began musically, it's always their debut. Such an otherworldly group but yet so relevant to the world around us.

4. Weezer
On Blue Album and Pinkerton alone. The rest I can do without but they kept churning out music and influenced many artists along the way.

Thanks!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Poll closed. With 20 ballots, the results will be unveiled soon.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Ok everyone. I will present the winners of 2009 in more proper official manner with extra stats and information and pictures soon, like Schleuse did, but here are the Four Inductees of 09: Sigur Ros, Serge Gainsbourg, Nina Simone, and Dusty Springfield! However, there is a little problem that prevents me from creating a more proper presentation just yet. We did not get a large amount of backstage ballots, 5 to be precise. As a result, we are stuck with 5 ties. You know what that means! Tie break vote time! Here are the five backstage candidates:

Chris Blackwell
The Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section
Rodney Bingenheimer
Coxsone Dodd
Ryan Schreiber

I will keep this up all Sunday until 6:00 PM UTC time. After that, I will start a separate thread for inductee "ceremony" pages, with 09 being the first. I will also start the 2010 voting thread around that time.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I vote Blackwell.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Actually, I just remembered: back in 2008, if there were no consensus candidates for the Backstage Wing, then Schleuse would simply not induct anybody in that category. We need more votes than 5, guys! So, forget the tie breaker. Moving on, I'm going to sleep soon. In the morning, I'll start the induction thread and the 2010 voting thread.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

JimmyJazz wrote:
Henrik wrote:1. Ennio Morricone - I love film music and Morricone is my favorite composer. His scores for Leone's Dollar trilogy (including of course "The Good the Bad and the Ugly") and "Once Upon a Time in the West" are absolute classics.
6. Astor Piazzolla
7. Orchestra Baobab
8. Serge Gainsbourg
9. Genesis
10. Iron Maiden
Awesome list, Henrik! Regarding Nina, I think she's become more of a forum favorite recently, going over older polls. As for Eno, yikes! That list of inductees I posted on the last thread was copied straight from the archived poll in the forum polls section. I guess he didn't get in! Too late for me to change the list now to make much of a difference, but this week he's #1 on my ballot for 2010!
I agree, I totally forgot Eno. This guy deserve a lot more love.
And Morricone too. I have 49 albums by him 49 incredibles OST.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Sorry for not having time to vote. I participated actively in the previous edition but right now I'm simply too busy (not only I haven't been able to participate but the last two weeks I even haven't even been able to visit AM Forum, which makes me so sad). It's funny that you mentioned Brian Eno because these last two weeks it's the only music I'm listening (I'm currently listening at Grooveshark to the whole output of Eno as musician, producer and collaborator in chronological order while I work at the computer writing the presentations for the many conferences I have to give right now, it's a music that increases my concentration). On the first edition I was one of the supporters of inducting Eno on the backstage wing because I thought that his merits as a producer (he was the main responsible of the link between rock and avant-garde) were higher that his merits as a performer. Maybe I still think the same (I'm currently listening to his 1984 collaboration with Harold Budd "The Pearl" so I've already listened to his productions for John Cale, David Bowie's Berlin Trilogy, Talking Heads, Devo, Ultravox, the compilation "No New York" or his works for Obscure label with Gavin Bryars, Michael Nyman or John Cage) but his production as solo artist (or with Cluster, Robert Fripp or Harold Budd) is also outstanding, both his pop albums and his ambient works. So if I find the time to vote on the next weeks count with Brian Eno as my number 1.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”