Need some help about a ranking method

dumbangel
Are You Experienced?

Need some help about a ranking method

Post by dumbangel »

Hi to all,
I would like to call on the talents of statisticians some of you have in this forum. It's about a personal ranking of the best albums of the year that I update regularly on rateyourmusic.com site. http://rateyourmusic.com/list/dumbangel/2013_albums/
I rank the albums according to the number of plays on my account last.fm.
I don't take in consideration the note I attribute to the albums because I value most of my albums from 3.5/5 to 4.5/5, which is not sufficiently discriminating factor.
I stop this ranking on December 31 of the year in order to get some kind of final classification.
I want to improve my ranking method taking into account not only the number of plays but also the bias caused by two factors:
- The release date of the album: an album released in November is less likely to be ranked higher than an album released earlier this year
- The number of songs in the album (for example, although I love the latest album from Steven Wilson, since it contains only six songs, he clearly has no chance of being ranked higher an album of 15 songs).
Does someone could help me by suggesting me a statistical formula or some kind of algorithm?
Thank you.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”