Songs of 2013?

atldan
Superunknown

Songs of 2013?

Post by atldan »

Keeping track of the most acclaimed singles is a lot less expensive than albums, but I hate having to wait until December or January until all of the publications come out with their results.

Any guesses what will be this year's top songs?
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Re: Songs of 2013?

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Maybe some stuff off that Justin Timberlake album... and, uh... "Get Lucky"? I dunno...
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

"Get Lucky" is an almost definite top 3. Everything else is up for grabs.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

I'd say "Get Lucky" and "Black Skinhead".

My website, Top Songs, did a list with the highlights of 2013 (Jan-Jun): http://www.topsongs.com.br/noticia.php?id=91
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Well on the songs released so far this year, there's indeed no doubt that Get Lucky will be #1. Let's see if anything released in Sep or Oct can top it but I don't think this will happen.

Blurred Lines will make top 10 for sure, top 5 very likely.

I'd say Blood on the Leaves too, but Kanye might have votes/lists spread over Black Skinhead, I Am a God, New Slaves and Blood on the Leaves (and maybe even Bound 2).
Disclosure might have the same issue, splitting votes between Latch, Voices, White Noise and When a Fire Starts to Burn, but you can definitely bet on them having at least a song in every UK top 10 and at least half of the US and rest of the world ones.

I could imagine Foals - My Number ending quite high on UK's lists, but I don't think we will see much of it in the US.

And the Knife Full of Fire and A Tooth for an Eye are very solid underdogs too, wouldn't be surprised to see one of those make Pitchfork's top 3 among others, though I don't know which of the 2 will dominate.

Vampire Weekend's Diane Young seems to be overtaking Ya Hey recently, I'd see the first ending in the top 10 and the latter in the top 30.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Nassim wrote: Vampire Weekend's Diane Young seems to be overtaking Ya Hey recently, I'd see the first ending in the top 10 and the latter in the top 30.
I'm really hoping that there's a fair amount of love for my favorite song off the new Vampire Weekend album- "Unbelievers", though "Diane Young" and "Ya Hey" will probably place higher on the critic's EOY lists.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I would put a lot of money right now on "Get Lucky" being the year's top song. The placement of the other song of the summer, "Blurred Lines", is a little more up in the air, though it seems like it could get T10 treatment.
blackandbianco
Start Me Up

Post by blackandbianco »

I don't think that anything will really beat "Get Lucky" on the majority of lists. Vampire Weekend, Disclosure, and Kanye West will likely have a bunch of vote-splitting, possibly the National and the Knife also, although I do agree that either "A Tooth for an Eye" or "Full of Fire" could make a very high placement on pitchfork and the similar places. "Blurred Lines" has taken a lot of music sites a while to warm up to, but I don't see it doing hugely well, but that's because I don't think it's quite that good. Top 20 at the best if it were up to me. That said, there has been no shortage of fantastic albums this year, but not a ton of standouts from them that stand up equally well on their own.

A few more - how about "Sacrilege" from Yeah Yeah Yeahs, a definite standout from what I feel is their weakest album so far. Not a fan of Justin Timberlake's "Suit & Tie" and it seems to be a bit polarizing among writers. My pick from him would be "Mirrors" although that's still not on the level of his best from the past. Have to see how his second album is then.

This is slightly off topic, but Arcade Fire's new single has leaked, anyone hear it?

Would love to see Deafheaven's "Dream House" and Daft Punk/Panda Bear's "Doin' it Right" make impact as well.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

I agree that "Get Lucky" will be the top song of 2013, but I somehow just don't seeing making the all-time top 200.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

blackandbianco wrote: This is slightly off topic, but Arcade Fire's new single has leaked, anyone hear it?
I really love it, it's everything I need right at this moment in my life.

I can see it being in the top 10, even top 5, songs of the year.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

It's a good song and more adventurous than anything on The Suburbs. The interactive video is also really good. Having said that, It brought the Talking Heads back to my mind a little too much for its own sake. I already had notice some Remain in Light similarities after they deliver the first promo picture for Reflektor, but now Will and the band took the comparisons to a whole different level. So far, it didn't bother me so much. A full album of it? Might make me turn the sound off and go listen to Byrne and that other terrific art pop band.
Amoux
Are You Experienced?

Post by Amoux »

I've not enjoyed much music from 2013. It's been disappointment after disappointment. Arcade Fire's new song 'Reflector' makes everything better. :D
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Who is this Arcade Fire band you speak of? I think you may have them confused with Arcade Soundsystem, who did in fact release a new single called "Reflektor" yesterday. :lol:
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Arcade Fire! At the Disco
blackandbianco
Start Me Up

Post by blackandbianco »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:I agree that "Get Lucky" will be the top song of 2013, but I somehow just don't seeing making the all-time top 200.
Hadn't thought of it that way before, the thing is just own its own, I think "Get Lucky" could be top 200-worthy, except the thing is I don't think it's Daft Punk's best song (although some will think so and I understand that). In a way, I could see it being ranked higher than any other of theirs on the all-time list but not number one on their own list, not that that even makes any logical sense at all.

To be honest, I'm not sold on "Reflektor" just yet. I'm a big fan of all of James Murphy's work, but it just doesn't feel right coming through now with Arcade Fire, but eventually I will get it. Most likely more as I hear where it comes in on the album.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

I begin to suspect that indeed, Get Lucky will be the song of the year, and now will appear in a higher position than any other song of Daft Punk. Which I think is unfortunate, because they have other much better songs, though not as commercial as Get Lucky. Could it be that all this is because of marketing? :(
But not only that, I begin to think that it could even be the best song of the decade in AM, as the media talk about it in good terms more that once talked about Midnight City, by M83. Heck, if Get Lucky beats Midnight City... I will seriously think dedicate myself to independent journalism or something like that.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Blanco wrote:I begin to suspect that indeed, Get Lucky will be the song of the year, and now will appear in a higher position than any other song of Daft Punk. Which I think is unfortunate, because they have other much better songs, though not as commercial as Get Lucky. Could it be that all this is because of marketing? :(
But not only that, I begin to think that it could even be the best song of the decade in AM, as the media talk about it in good terms more that once talked about Midnight City, by M83. Heck, if Get Lucky beats Midnight City... I will seriously think dedicate myself to independent journalism or something like that.
And this is only Get Lucky! Maybe the votes will split a little with Giorgio by Moroder, Lose Yourself to Dance and Doin' It Right, but it's pretty much assured the top spot so far. But what about the album itself? RAM is building up to be a huge critical hit as well. Here in France, the Inrockuptibles magazine, which might be the most pro-indie high profile mag here, has done a big special issue for Daft Punk recently, and hail RAM as the greatest album of the year so far! And the towering sales? How many consensual hit records between the public and the critics have we seen in recent history? I'm getting confident we're heading for the Daft Punk year. Contrary to you, Blanco, I don't feel that bad about it but I admit it's pretty stunning. Of course, I like Midnight City more than Get Lucky as well. But I like RAM more than Hurry Up, We're Dreaming :mrgreen:

The LCD Soundsystem/Arcade Fire alliance is still lurking behind the corner though... :music-rockon:
blackandbianco
Start Me Up

Post by blackandbianco »

Blanco wrote:I begin to suspect that indeed, Get Lucky will be the song of the year, and now will appear in a higher position than any other song of Daft Punk. Which I think is unfortunate, because they have other much better songs, though not as commercial as Get Lucky. Could it be that all this is because of marketing?
In a way, it is, I'm not old enough to have been aware of any sort of commercial impact the Homework and Discovery singles may have had, but while I know that they did crossover into mainstream consciousness a bit, the mainstream ubiquity of "Get Lucky" is way more exposure than Daft Punk have gotten before, which of course causes the usual "music snob" backlash against their new popularity and Random Access Memories. I love "Get Lucky", although I just think it's their fifth, fourth, third best song at the very highest. As far as the lists go, I don't mind it being that high, because I really can't complain when a song like that can top both mainstream popularity and critic's lists. But as far as marketing goes, Random Access Memories was massively hyped into pop culture, made to be quite commercial, and that's what Daft Punk wanted this time around. I guess that is ok.

Aside, I predict that Chvrches will do quite well on EOY singles lists.
guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Post by guigs2910 »

Other than Daft Punk's "Get Lucky", which is the clear favorite by far, which other ones you think, so far, will also be on the top?

Mixing my personal best with what I think will please most critics:

A Tooth For An Eye/Full Of Fire - The Knife
Song For Zula - Phosporescent
Bipp- Sophie
Hold On, We're Going Home - Drake
Pale Green Ghosts/GMF - John Grant
Retrograde - James Blake
Diane Young/Ya Hey - Vampire Weekend
Open - Rhye
White Noise - Disclosure
Open Eye Signal - Jon Hopkins
Papi Pacify - FKA Twigs
Sacrilege - Yeah Yeah Yeahs ....

And Justin Timberlake, Chvrches, Arctic Monkeys, Autre Ne Veut, Haim, Run The Jewels, David Bowie ...

What do you guys think? What other songs and artists would you bet on?
Immerse your soul in love. No matter how it ends, no matter how it starts.
Illiniq
Strange Fruit

Post by Illiniq »

I'm always much more torn by Song of the Year versus Album Of The Year arguments...It's so much easier to differentiate the truly special albums than between great songs...that said, few of my Favorites this year will probably make the year end lists.

My Personal Favs -

Song of the Year - Higgs Boson Blues - Nick Cave

Finalists
Get Lucky - Daft Punk
Tears o' Plenty/Stoned & Starving - Parquet Courts
Late Night - Foals
Open - Rhye
Shut Up - Savages
Obvious Bicycle - Vampire Weekend
Nitrous Gas - Frightened Rabbit
Where Ever You Want To Go - Patty Griffin
Sacrilege - The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The Quotidian Beasts - Phosphorescent
Kinda Fuzzy - Eels
The Stars (Are Out Tonight) - David Bowie
Columbia - Local Natives

Trouble WIll Find Me is easily the year's best album, but it's a fantastic album that wins on super high consistency, craft and tone rather than any one overwhelmingly great song that belongs on a best track of the year list.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Blanco wrote:I begin to suspect that indeed, Get Lucky will be the song of the year, and now will appear in a higher position than any other song of Daft Punk. Which I think is unfortunate, because they have other much better songs, though not as commercial as Get Lucky. Could it be that all this is because of marketing? :(
"Get Lucky" will be the song of the year for one simple reason- it's a massively successful single (commercially speaking) by a band with enormous amounts of critical acclaim. How often does that happen? While critically acclaimed bands these days manage to do well on the albums chart (Vampire Weekend and Arcade Fire's latest albums went number 1 in the US), success on the singles charts always eludes them. Any artist that can get that magic formula of commercial success with prior critical acclaim is going to destroy the EOY lists.

Also, "Get Lucky" is a GREAT song, but yeah, Daft Punk have better. Still, it's probably in my top 5 Daft Punk songs, and it's currently in my top 3 songs of the year.
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Post by Chambord »

For me Get Lucky is the silliest song of the year. And the fact that you can't turn your head these days without hearing it at every corner makes it even more annoying. For fuck's sake, if Liam freakin Gallagher says about your song that he could have written it in an hour ... then you've hit the bottom alrite

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”