Albums of 2022 Discussion Thread

Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Albums of 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by Listyguy »

I figured I would start this since I didn't see one yet, and today we saw the first major release of the year, Dawn FM from The Weeknd.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Re: Albums of 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by Zorg »

I listened to Burial's Antidawn yesterday a couple of times. Didn't feel like it was particularly memorable - it felt more atmospheric than I typically like from Burial (like Loser, or Come Down to Us, where they're a bit more intense). And for an EP, it was pretty long....

I've found Burial to be a slow burner for me though, so will keep on it.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Zorg wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:42 am I listened to Burial's Antidawn yesterday a couple of times. Didn't feel like it was particularly memorable - it felt more atmospheric than I typically like from Burial (like Loser, or Come Down to Us, where they're a bit more intense). And for an EP, it was pretty long....

Exactly the same for me !
I listen to a lot of ambient so atmospheric is fine but that didn't leave much of a first impression
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Nassim wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:46 pm
Zorg wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:42 am I listened to Burial's Antidawn yesterday a couple of times. Didn't feel like it was particularly memorable - it felt more atmospheric than I typically like from Burial (like Loser, or Come Down to Us, where they're a bit more intense). And for an EP, it was pretty long....

Exactly the same for me !
I listen to a lot of ambient so atmospheric is fine but that didn't leave much of a first impression
I didn't love it either. It kind of sounded like a computer used a sample of Burial's previous works to make a new album.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I've heard 3 albums thus far:

Burial- Antidawn (EP): Pretty boring, which is a shame because I typically really like his work.

Earl Sweatshirt- Sick!: Not an essential album like Some Rap Songs, but still quite good.

The Weeknd- Dawn FM: I like it a lot! The obvious highlight is "Take My Breath", but the rest of the album is solid too.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Boris released a pretty cool album today. I am not familiar with their prior work, but they've collaborated with Merzbow a lot. Some unsettling noise and icy ambience, with little a doom metal as a treat. Anybody given it a listen?

Gonna try using the spotify album bbcode thing:

Okay, it works, just not with https or with the ?si= parameter, good to know.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

ProjectTermina wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:49 pm Boris released a pretty cool album today. I am not familiar with their prior work, but they've collaborated with Merzbow a lot. Some unsettling noise and icy ambience, with little a doom metal as a treat. Anybody given it a listen?

Gonna try using the spotify album bbcode thing:

Okay, it works, just not with https or with the ?si= parameter, good to know.
Didn't have the time yet but I sure will, love this band.
I highly recommend anything they released between 2000 and 2006 (what exactly depends on whether you prefer drone or heavy metal or noise or post rock).
Pink is a long time fav but I tend to favor Akuma No Uta lately, Naki Kyoku is an incredible song.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

ProjectTermina wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:49 pm Boris released a pretty cool album today. I am not familiar with their prior work, but they've collaborated with Merzbow a lot. Some unsettling noise and icy ambience, with little a doom metal as a treat. Anybody given it a listen?
I'll give it a go. It's the only way I'm going to listen to Boris. (joke probably doesn't work so well outside of the UK)

Impressed with AURORA, and enjoyed Yard Act about as much as I thought I would (i.e. lots). Shout out to Edre, his mixtape is well worth a listen.
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

ProjectTermina wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:49 pm Boris released a pretty cool album today.
I have found that this is good music for walking a mile and a half to a bus station at 5am in January. To go to a funeral, no less! Do with that knowledge what you will.
TheLastEnemy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:41 am I'll give it a go. It's the only way I'm going to listen to Boris. (joke probably doesn't work so well outside of the UK)
You'd be surprised! My American perspective isn't as insular as you might think. Of course I know who Boris Karloff is. ;) ;) ;)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

New FKA Twigs is good. Not as good as MAGDALENE but very good.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

First album I've listened to this year:

Alexander Hawkins Mirror Canon | Break a Vase

Completely different from Shards and Constellations (2020) and Togetherness Music (2021), but no less excellent. Hawkins might turn out to be one of the most prolific artists of the decade if he keeps this going. :D
Also happens to be the best thing I've heard from Shabaka Hutchings.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Yard Act's debut LP The Overload is a lot of fun. They find some nice grooves and sing kind of deranged lyrics over them in a conversational style that belies their rage and despair. Think "Comfort Eagle" but less produced. Favorite tracks: "Tall Poppies," "Land of the Blind," "Rich"

Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Kanye West claims he'll be releasing Donda 2 on February 22. If this album sees the light of day before the end of June, I'll be surprised.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

New Anais Mitchell drops today.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

My current list

1. FKA Twigs - Caprisongs
2. Boris - W

(bubbling under)

- Earl Sweatshirt - Sick!
Edre the Depeche Head
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Listyguy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:42 pm Kanye West claims he'll be releasing Donda 2 on February 22. If this album sees the light of day before the end of June, I'll be surprised.
Oh boy. I admit I have a big bias toward him. The only projects in my opinion that I feel are quite mid from Ye are Jesus Is King and Cruel Summer (both around a 5/10 or 6/10). For me Donda was a strong 7/10 but had a lot of flaws to it that made it a spotty listen but also has some of my favorite songs of his in the past 5 years.

Donda 2 is too quick after Donda and I fear we will get another mid album from Ye.
Edre the Depeche Head
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Edre Peraza wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:01 pm My current list

2. Boris - W

(bubbling under)

Edre, what did you think of Dawn FM? Considering its Eighties nostalgia and callbacks to Depeche Mode, I was thinking it would be up your alley.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

prosecutorgodot wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:23 pm
Edre Peraza wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:01 pm My current list

2. Boris - W

(bubbling under)

Edre, what did you think of Dawn FM? Considering its Eighties nostalgia and callbacks to Depeche Mode, I was thinking it would be up your alley.
I have it at a 5/10. To me the overall tracklist was weaker than after hours and I feel he pulled less from the good side of the 80s here was my review on Albumoftheyear.

“ Even though the album has a bit more of a retro and even a little darker atmosphere and aesthetic, something I generally dont mind, I find the vintage 80s material it is pulling from is not complimentary. Some synth and guitar leads are more reminiscent of mediocre stadium band anthems like Journey or Van Halen. The further I get though, the less this feels like a modern unique take on the retro sound like After Hours and more of imitations of specific genres down to vocal patterns and melodies on songs like the corny “Less Than Zero". Many choruses sound like The Weeknd but in a bit more of a forced retro sound. The Quincy Jones connection only solidifies the aforementioned statement of trying to tackle a specific sound instead of crafting his own. The track with Lil Wayne was one I was defintley excited for but ended up, kind boring. Tracks like “Every Angel Is Terrifying” and "Dawn FM" definitely is more of tracks to built more to the concept so it is an important track but feel like it is trying to make an album that is more shallow at the core than the conceptual image it is pushing. Also Jim Carrey just doesn’t land too well for me either.
There are elements of this album that actually went very well and shows Abel hitting a gold middle ground between mainstream pop, the retro style, and well constructed songs. "Take My Breath" is a solid pop tune, not one of his best but one with hit potential and great hooks. “Out of Time” is full of great performances more so than fresh ideas but is a refreshing track on the album for sure. “Here We Go Again” fit’s a more unique Weeknd flow into the retro ballad sound making it sound a bit more like a fresh take instead of a cosplay. Tyler kills his verse. The chipmunk vocals on “Is There Something Else” is something I want more of on his projects, but it is under utilized here unfortunately.

The Weeknd seems to at an odd place since he is reaching newer commercial highs than ever before but it got even more so after he started switching up his style once again. How long can he keep this up?”
Edre the Depeche Head
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

ProjectTermina wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:14 pm Yard Act's debut LP The Overload is a lot of fun. They find some nice grooves and sing kind of deranged lyrics over them in a conversational style that belies their rage and despair. Think "Comfort Eagle" but less produced. Favorite tracks: "Tall Poppies," "Land of the Blind," "Rich"

It's pretty good, though I wouldn't mind them focusing a bit more on the more straightforward/catchy parts of the music, we have been lacking on simple catchy rock music for a few years now and it seems like they could deliver on that front (I'm putting most of my hopes on Wet Leg for now). Full disclosure, I probably would not have listened to it if I had known Comfort Eagle was a Cake album, not a very enticing comparison to me !
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Nassim wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:00 pm Full disclosure, I probably would not have listened to it if I had known Comfort Eagle was a Cake album, not a very enticing comparison to me !
Fair enough! But I will go to bat for the title track "Comfort Eagle." That song fucks.

This is a complete tangent that has nothing to do with anything, but I was talking about The Overload and "Comfort Eagle" with a good friend of mine last night and when I played the latter for him, he immediately recognized it from this video that he saw, like, eleven years ago, of some guy building a fifty thousand-gallon aquarium in his backyard. At first it was a complete tonal mismatch, but by the end, the photos of the eerie-looking fish in their dark, subterranean tanks were almost as menacing as the song. We watched the whole video on his phone in the front seat of his parked car, rapt. It was very funny to me and probably no one else.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

ProjectTermina wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:54 pm click arrow for next thursday roundup ^
Happy Thursday everyone!

I really liked the gorgeous new Krallice album that dropped on Bandcamp on Friday, Crystalline Exhaustion. It tempers the inhuman iciness of black metal with ominous, sorrowful, and emotionally resonant melodic passages that make it easy to digest. Like pears! Very rich in fiber. You should eat more pears. favorite track: “Crystalline Exhaustion”
https://krallice.bandcamp.com/album/cry ... exhaustion

I have mixed feelings about The Weeknd as an artist, and that relationship is still evolving. I really like Dawn FM, but I can’t yet tell you why. favorite tracks: “Out of Time,” “Gasoline,” “Less Than Zero”

Fantano apparently liked Country Stuff the Album way more than he expected to ("not bad") and praised Walker Hayes for his emotionally compelling country songwriting. Anybody here give it a listen? I don’t loathe “Fancy Like” as much as some do, but it doesn’t really commend a whole Walker Hayes album to me. Maybe it’s one of those things like “Ice Ice Baby” or “Blurred Lines” where the song gets huge at the expense of the artist. But something tells me the country listenership will be more forgiving to Walker Hayes than rap was to Vanilla Ice or pop was to Robin Thicke.

The RuPaul album surprised me a bit. I like it, but there's something kind of ghoulish about it.

~*~

Here’s my roughish ranking of January 2022 albums I’ve paid some amount of attention to. Most of them I haven’t spent enough time with to have a “take” on. This is more for diaristic purposes.

Albums that I recommend:
  • Yard Act - The Overload
  • The Weeknd - Dawn FM
  • Krallice - Crystalline Exhaustion
  • Boris - W
Albums that I like quite a bit:
  • Eels - Extreme Witchcraft
  • Mach-Hommy - Dollar Menu
  • RuPaul - Mamaru
Albums that I like decently enough:
  • KYLE - It’s Not So Bad
  • Aurora - The Gods We Can Touch
  • Kiefer Sutherland - Bloor Street
  • Pinegrove - 11:11
  • FKA Twigs - Caprisongs
Albums that I feel slightly positive to indifferent towards:
  • Christina Aguilera - La Fuerza
  • Glaive - Old Dog, New Tricks
  • Billy Talent - Crisis of Faith
  • Bad Suns - Apocalypse Whenever
  • Eric Nam - There and Back Again
Albums that don’t really do it for me (and I might not have finished):
  • Inna - Champagne Problems
  • Subtronics - Fractals
  • St. Paul and The Broken Bones - The Alien Coast
  • Cory Wong - Wong’s Cafe
  • Magnum - The Monster Roars
  • MØ - Motordrome
Albums that… uhh…
  • Skillet - Dominion
~*~

Albums that I want to listen to (or finish listening to):
  • Jethro Tull - The Zealot Gene
  • The Wombats - Fix Yourself, Not the World
  • Burial - Antidawn
Albums that I am too afraid to listen to:
  • Aaron Lewis - Frayed at Both Ends
If one of you wants to bite the bullet and listen to it for me, I’d appreciate it.

~*~

Non-exhaustive list of albums coming out tomorrow (February 4) for you to peruse:
  • 2 Chainz - Dope Don’t Sell Itself
  • Animal Collective - Time Skiffs
  • As It Is - I Went to Hell and Back
  • Bastille - Give Me the Future
  • Black Country, New Road - Ants from Up There
  • Cate Le Bon - Pompeii
  • Circa Survive - A Dream About Death
  • The Districts - Great American Painting
  • Korn - Requiem
  • Marissa Nadler - The Wrath of the Clouds
  • Mitski - Laurel Hell
  • Rolo Tomassi - Where Myth Becomes Memory
  • Saxon - Carpe Diem
  • Slash feat. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators - 4
  • The Slow Show - Still Life
  • Venom Prison - Erebos
  • Yeule - Glitch Princess
Kinda funny that there’s a Bastille album and an album called Pompeii.

On February 7:
  • J. Holiday - Time
Last edited by ProjectTermina on Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

I’m more afraid to listen to that Mitski album. I wrote in another post how Joanna Newsom’s YS gained like almost an influence and someone said they hadn’t really noticed. It’s more like a pattern I guess. Like the venom of what made legends like Kate and Siouxsie and Sinead and Björk (at times in her case) for the most part artsy but still melodic with a singalong infectious song structure, was drained out. After YS I felt artsier female songwriters were more about writing pieces for the sake of showing off the instrumentation and making it more production focused instead of keeping the structure of the song hooky with a chorus, harmonies more flowing and lively and Mitski suffered from that type of, I hate to say snobbery but I see why she’s more of a critics artist. They can’t all be Courtney Barnette or Lykki Li or Grimes who “get it” and aren’t afraid to keep it more pop oriented but it is what it is.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Worthwile albums I've listened to so far:
- 40 Watt Sun | The Perfect Light (the best of the lot)
- Biosphere | Shortwave Memories
- Bonobo | Fragments
- Silvana Estrada | Marchita
- Madrugada | Chimes at Midnight
- Earl Sweatshirt | Sick!

And a promising release day ahead tomorrow with new releases of Wovenhand, Black Country and Mitski.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

luvulongTIM wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:40 pm I’m more afraid to listen to that Mitski album. I wrote in another post how Joanna Newsom’s YS gained like almost an influence and someone said they hadn’t really noticed. It’s more like a pattern I guess. Like the venom of what made legends like Kate and Siouxsie and Sinead and Björk (at times in her case) for the most part artsy but still melodic with a singalong infectious song structure, was drained out. After YS I felt artsier female songwriters were more about writing pieces for the sake of showing off the instrumentation and making it more production focused instead of keeping the structure of the song hooky with a chorus, harmonies more flowing and lively and Mitski suffered from that type of, I hate to say snobbery but I see why she’s more of a critics artist. They can’t all be Courtney Barnette or Lykki Li or Grimes who “get it” and aren’t afraid to keep it more pop oriented but it is what it is.
I get what you're saying. I respect Mitski more than I like her. It's hard for me to recall what any of her songs sound like except for Nobody or Your Best American Girl - not surprisingly her two most acclaimed tracks - as many of her songs don't have a memorable hook in either the vocal or instrumental melody.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The 2022 albums I've liked so far:

1. Anais Mitchell - Anais Mitchell
2. Boris - W
3. FKA Twigs - CAPRISONGS
4. Yard Act - The Overload
5. The Weeknd - Dawn FM
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

This was a big week in music! Black Country New Road, Animal Collective, and Mitski all dropped but only two make my list! Ants From Up Here is for now my AOTY but I do not love it nearly as much as some people over on Albumoftheyear and RYM. I would give that album an 83/100.

If any of you have been following some of my submissions on Classic Charts, I have been getting into Animal Collective a lot lately. I have not heard all of their albums but the latest one I have heard was Painting With and I genuinely did not like the album since it felt like everything I like about them but watered down. Time Skiffs appears to be a solid return to form with some of their most interesting tracks and production choices in a while. It isn't one of their best but it is very good. 78/100.

And once again I am a bit disappointed from Mitski. The only other album I have heard of hers was her 2018 release and honestly I think both albums are decent at best. Both albums have solid foundations and a sound I enjoy but I feel like the songs are too short and dont leave me with anything impactful. If they were fully fleshed out I would enjoy it a lot more. So her new album for me is a 64/100.

My current list

1. Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up Here
2. FKA Twigs - Caprisongs
3. Animal Collective - Time Skiffs
4. Boris - W

(bubbling under)

Edre the Depeche Head
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Uh. https://youtu.be/UmgDLGpl9ME

No idea if this is legit.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Edre Peraza wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:03 pm If any of you have been following some of my submissions on Classic Charts, I have been getting into Animal Collective a lot lately. I have not heard all of their albums but the latest one I have heard was Painting With and I genuinely did not like the album since it felt like everything I like about them but watered down. Time Skiffs appears to be a solid return to form with some of their most interesting tracks and production choices in a while. It isn't one of their best but it is very good. 78/100.
My favorite AC album is Feels, a 5 star album for me, with Banshee Beat easily my favorite song of them.
Painting With was not very memorable, but the songs worked pretty well live, more than better songs from Feels or Strawberry Jam. The new one is nice though far from their Sung Tongs to MPP run.

Really like Black Country New Road's new album, much more accessible than last year's !
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Nassim wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:57 pm Really like Black Country New Road's new album, much more accessible than last year's !

They really switched atmospheric gears while maintaining their distinctive instrumental talents. For the First Time very much feels like a teen angst anxiety attack, while everything on Ants From Up There feels more nuanced. For me, this isn't really a better or worse thing - I think my opinion of both albums is about the same at the moment. However, the first album is so blunt that everything hit me immediately - I could see a more complex album growing over time.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

BleuPanda wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:15 pm For me, this isn't really a better or worse thing - I think my opinion of both albums is about the same at the moment. However, the first album is so blunt that everything hit me immediately - I could see a more complex album growing over time.
I feel the same way. I don't love the album right now, but I wouldn't be all that shocked if I've changed my mind in a few months.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Like others I enjoy both styles. I'm really enjoying the artists that this new album makes me think of - a nice combo of The Divine Comedy, Explosions in the Sky, Arcade Fire, the National and no doubt many others. That's a nice set for me, and I think im likely to prefer it in the long term to the medley from their earlier album which was a bit more Slint + emo. I'm a massive fan of Snow Globes too.

I've also really enjoyed Caprisongs by fka Twigs. Quite tricky to keep in my head in comparison to Magdalene, but I like the poppier style.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Heard these three:

Black Country, New Road- Ants From Up There: Fantastic. As good as their 2021 album was, this one is even better.

Mitski- Laurel Hell: It's good, albeit unexceptional. I liked her previous two a bit more.

Animal Collective- Time Skiffs: The boys are back. Their best album by far since MPP.

Which means it's time for some tiers:

Great Tier:

1. Black Country, New Road- Ants From Up There

Very Good Tier:

2. The Weeknd- Dawn FM

Good Tier:

3. Animal Collective- Time Skiffs
4. Mitski- Laurel Hell
5. Earl Sweatshirt- Sick!

Decent Tier:

6. Burial- Antidawn (EP)
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Nassim wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:57 pm
Edre Peraza wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:03 pm If any of you have been following some of my submissions on Classic Charts, I have been getting into Animal Collective a lot lately. I have not heard all of their albums but the latest one I have heard was Painting With and I genuinely did not like the album since it felt like everything I like about them but watered down. Time Skiffs appears to be a solid return to form with some of their most interesting tracks and production choices in a while. It isn't one of their best but it is very good. 78/100.
My favorite AC album is Feels, a 5 star album for me, with Banshee Beat easily my favorite song of them.
Painting With was not very memorable, but the songs worked pretty well live, more than better songs from Feels or Strawberry Jam. The new one is nice though far from their Sung Tongs to MPP run.

Really like Black Country New Road's new album, much more accessible than last year's !
Yeah, Feels has quickly become my second favorite album from them! I really want to see them live as well.
Edre the Depeche Head
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

With Black County, New Road like so many newer bands I noticed that so far they’re being labeled post punk. But come the end of the year when they start doing the year end lists I’m wondering if they’re gonna be like all the other newer bands labeled post punk at the beginning of their career and completely opt out of that label. I noticed the post punk pattern but when I saw many of the bands under that label listed in the year end best of 2021, more than half those bands were no longer labeled post punk.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I always thought BCNR were considered post-rock - I can maybe see a post-punk edge to their brand of post-rock, but my most immediate comparison is Slint.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

The first album was all "Black Spider, New Land", but their second album is all "Black Arcade, New Fire".
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

I’m seeing the rave reviews for Big Thief per usual on Metacritic. First thing I read however in the description of the band: “Brooklyn” and “indie” and I’m like literally trying to hold the temples of my forehead up to try to prevent my eyes from rolling lol! I can’t help it, I’d seen they’re moving away from that direction especially last year with the UK having their most urban influenced year maybe ever but that trend had been so etched in my brain even older bands that have stood the test of time from that period give me that Stanley from the Office emoji vibe.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

ProjectTermina wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:56 pm previous thursday roundup ^
ProjectTermina wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:34 pm next thursday roundup ^
Happy Thursday! I haven't been listening to that much new music this week.

I listened to the new Korn album. This was actually my first Korn album. It didn't do much for me. But maybe the problem was that I didn't listen to it while wearing oversized camo shorts and playing Tony Hawk. Keep this in mind if you decide to organize a listening party, as I know many of you will.

I liked the new 2 Chainz album quite a bit. Highlight of the album is the track with 42 Dugg, "Million Dollars Worth of Game." "Kingpen Ghostwriter" is also really cool. I'm super used to Shawty Redd's super-fast skittering constantly-shifting hi-hat rhythms that became ubiquitous in the 2010s, but in "Kingpen Ghostwriter," the hi-hat plays the same slow triplets throughout the whole track, and it contributes a lot to the menacing atmosphere honestly. The album covers a decent breadth of stylistic territory and is only like half an hour so give it a listen, if you want.

Oh! Oh! Also:
Gillingham wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:54 pm Worthwile albums I've listened to so far:
- 40 Watt Sun | The Perfect Light (the best of the lot)
Gillingham, great recommendation, thanks. This album is gorgeous. I swear it's worth your time, if you like slow, pared-down, melancholy rock music. If you're on the fence, give "The Spaces in Between" a listen.

A completely uncurated, non-exhaustive list of albums coming out tomorrow, given freely for you:
  • $NOT - Ethereal
  • Alt-J - The Dream
  • Amorphis - Halo
  • Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You
  • Chase Matthew - Born for This
  • Cult of Luna - The Long Road North
  • Dan Andriano & The Bygones - Dear Darkness
  • Donna Missal - In The Mirror, In The Night
  • Dustin Lynch - Blue In The Sky
  • Eddie Vedder - Earthling
  • Foxes - The Kick
  • Frank Turner - FTHC
  • Half Alive - Give Me Your Shoulders Pt. 1
  • James Morrison - Greatest Hits
  • Jason Mraz - Lalalalovesongs
  • Jazmine Sullivan - Heaux Tales, Mo’ Tales: The Deluxe
  • Joe Nichols - Good Day for Living
  • Joss Stone - Never Forget My Love
  • Joywave - Cleanse
  • Juicy J and Wiz Khalifa - Stoner’s Night
  • Kim Petras - Slut Pop
  • Mary J. Blige - Good Morning Gorgeous
  • Moonchild - Starfruit
  • Nova Miller - Sting
  • Once Human - Scar Weaver
  • Sea Power - Everything Was Forever
  • SeptembersRich - BNL
  • Shamir - Heterosexuality
  • Slash feat. Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators - 4
  • Spoon - Lucifer on the Sofa
  • Trae tha Truth - Truth Season: The United Streets of America
  • Tegan and Sara - Still Jealous
  • Trentemøller - Memoria
  • Voivod - Synchro Anarchy
  • Vundabar - Devil for the Fire
  • Zeal & Ardor - Zeal & Ardor
On February 13th:
  • Snoop Dogg - Bacc on Death Row
On February 14th:
  • Epik High - Epik High Is Here 下, Pt. 2
  • Wifisfuneral - Black Heart Revenge 2
  • Taeyeon - INVU
On February 15th:
  • Treasure - The Second Step: Chapter One
On February 16th:
  • ずっと真夜中でいいのに (ZUTOMAYO) - 伸び仕草懲りて暇乞い
  • Alice Glass - Prey//IV
Edit: got the Florence + The Machine tip from Genius's release radar which is not always reliable. Can't find any press on a Florence release so removed it. sorry
Edit: corrected date of snoop release to feb 13
Edit: corrected name of Mary J Blige record, think that was a Genius typo. sticking to Wikipedia next time i guess
Last edited by ProjectTermina on Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Nick wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:50 pm The first album was all "Black Spider, New Land", but their second album is all "Black Arcade, New Fire".
Did someone say Arcade Fire? I've never gone so quickly to check an album out. And unsurprisingly, I love it. Early frontrunner for album of the year. It didn't remind me quite as much of Arcade Fire as I would have expected on first listen, based on this, but now I've listened about 15 times and it keeps growing on me, and I do hear that similar epic, passionate, layered sound that made Funeral my favorite album. And after typing that, I see that they say they were directly influenced by that album in particular during the recording process. Wish there were more music like this!

And when is Arcade Fire going to finally get around to releasing something?
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I'm really digging the new Big Thief album. Pitchfork aptly called it the band's White Album, and I don't think I have a better way to describe it than that. There's a lot of hopping from genre to genre, but it all works (more or less). It's one of those albums that doesn't feel that long (despite being 80ish minutes long) because of how great it is.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

BleuPanda wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:26 pm I always thought BCNR were considered post-rock - I can maybe see a post-punk edge to their brand of post-rock, but my most immediate comparison is Slint.
Of course, the band would agree, self-deprecatingly referring to themselves in "Science Fair" as "the world's second-best Slint tribute act." As has been noted many times already by now, the second album definitely moves toward a more maximalist sound. I've only listened once, so I won't commit myself yet as to whether it lives up to the rapturous response it's receiving, but it sounds great to me.

With frontman/lyricist Isaac Wood abruptly leaving the band days before the album's release (very clearly for mental health reasons, and I hope he'll be OK), it's going to be fascinating to see where BC,NR goes from here.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Honestly, Ants From Up There is better than any album I heard last year.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Holden wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:02 pm Honestly, Ants From Up There is better than any album I heard last year.
Co-signing this.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

andyd1010 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:11 am
Nick wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:50 pm The first album was all "Black Spider, New Land", but their second album is all "Black Arcade, New Fire".
Did someone say Arcade Fire? I've never gone so quickly to check an album out. And unsurprisingly, I love it. Early frontrunner for album of the year. It didn't remind me quite as much of Arcade Fire as I would have expected on first listen, based on this, but now I've listened about 15 times and it keeps growing on me, and I do hear that similar epic, passionate, layered sound that made Funeral my favorite album. And after typing that, I see that they say they were directly influenced by that album in particular during the recording process. Wish there were more music like this!

I’m not sure if my comment was the reason for you checking it out, but I’m glad you’re loving it! It’s easily my AOTY so far.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Nick wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:56 am
andyd1010 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:11 am

I’m not sure if my comment was the reason for you checking it out, but I’m glad you’re loving it! It’s easily my AOTY so far.
It was! And it is for me too! Thank you. Saw the Arcade Fire comparison, immediately put it on, and it's pretty much been on repeat since.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Like everyone else, I love Ants from Up There. It just checks all the boxes for what I want out of a popular record. The only real "flaw" is that maybe the lyrics/stories are a tad too personal, thus lacking that universal edge that the classic-est of classic albums have. Putting that aside, easiest #1 since To Pimp a Butterfly, it will be difficult to beat (I just feel bad for the great albums that are yet to be released). We will see if critics think the same.

Anyway, what are the Big Thief fans thinking of this new record? I am honestly having to do a double-take, after finding Two Hands (the only other BT album I've heard) only decently pleasant, because I am quite impressed with the new one.

My other favorite album this year is Foxtails - Fawn, which, if you liked BCNR's for the first time, I think would follow nicely, with more screamo.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

I will join the praise for Ants from Up There which has some very strong songs and a pretty consistent mood. I'm not sure I agree with prosecutorgodot regarding the lyrics but I would have to listen again with that in mind. My favorite, "Snow Globes" seems very universal in its spiritual feel.

My favorite of the year until now is Asleep Country's Helvetic Sylph, a wonderful three-hour electronic album full of surprises and inventiveness. Far far better than the three tracks I've heard from the Burial EP.

The Big Thief album seemed very un-remarkable to me. I liked their 2019 double a lot (especially "UFOF", the song), so this is a bit of a disappointment.

Currently listening to Perfect Light and liking it a lot.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

I feel this has been a really good start of the year for rock music
Listened to a few albums and these have marked me and will no doubt make my EOTY list

Black Country New Road's new opus is better, at first listen, than their debut
deathcrash's "Return" is an amazing slowcore album, excellent stuff for fans of Low and Bedhead
last, and a band that never fails to release a good album, Spoon's Lucifer on the Sofa is great indie rock.
VanillaFire1000
Let's Get It On

Post by VanillaFire1000 »

Technically this is late 2021 but I am kinda into this new album by the Taiwanese band 百合花 (Lilium.)
SL3
Different Class

Post by SL3 »

This is fantastic - Jon Free "The Great Bombardment"
https://wildanimalsrecords.bandcamp.com ... ombardment

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”