Best Moderately Acclaimed Album of 2021 - Voting

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Best Moderately Acclaimed Album of 2021 - Voting

Post by Jirin »

Nominations have been made, this is the voting and discussion thread for Best Moderately Acclaimed Album Of 2021.

The way this works, you have all months to listen to as many of the nominations as possible. Then, rank the ones you heard from favorite to least favorite. The winner will be determined by a win-loss based voting system, so if you don't rank an album it won't either help or hurt it.

Nominations should be PMed to me, not posted in this thread.

The winner will get automatic entry to next year's Best Moderately Acclaimed Album.

The Nominations:

Brad: Lost Girls - Menneskekollektivet
bonnielaurel: Hiromi: The Piano Quintet - Silver Lining Suite
rumpdoll: Moin - Moot
FrankLotion: Genesis Owusu - Smiling With No Teeth
Jiri: Hybrid - Black Halo
Jackson: Magdalena Bay - Mercurial World
mileswilde: Tamada - Dionysus vs. Tamada
Rdwdbob: The Fratellis - Half Drunk Under A Full Moon
Edre Peraza: Kanye West - Donda
KingofTonga: Torres - Thirstier
Gillingham: Wadrruna - Kvitravn
Rob: Alba Gil Aceytuno - Aguayro
spiritualized: Biffy Clyro - The Myth Of Happily Ever After
acroamor: Deafhaven - Infinite Granite
Schuttelbirne: Magdalena Ganter - Neo Noir
sonofsamiam: Spellling - The Turning Wheel
Listyguy: 파란노을 [Parannoul] - To See The Next Part Of The Dream
DaveC: Richard Dawson & Circle - Henki
Nassim: The Notwist - Vertigo Days
phil: Marissa Nadler - The Path Of The Clouds
madzong: The Chills - Scatterbrain
Last edited by Jirin on Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Re: Best Moderately Acclaimed Album of 2021 - Voting

Post by mileswide »

It's that time again! :happy-partydance: When's the deadline though?
All I got inside is vacancy!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

mileswide wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:29 pm It's that time again! :happy-partydance: When's the deadline though?
January 31st.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Hi Jirin,

Just sent you my nom :)
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'm going to finally try to participate in this for the first time - and I've already been awarded with a new album cracking my top 30 for the year (though 3 of these were already familiar to me and even higher)!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

How do people feel about allowing a late nom, by the way? I think Madzong may have misread something in the nomination window.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Jirin wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:29 pm How do people feel about allowing a late nom, by the way? I think Madzong may have misread something in the nomination window.
That's fine with me! The more the merrier!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'd happily check out another album. I missed the nomination window myself, but someone else chose what I would have nominated, so it all worked out for me (and that specific nomination is only my #3 among this final list)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Jirin wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:29 pm How do people feel about allowing a late nom, by the way? I think Madzong may have misread something in the nomination window.
I guess I'll survive one more.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

That's fine
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

In that case, Madzong has nominated:

The Chills - Scatterbrain
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Thanks all :)
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

I won’t spoil how my list went since we’re keeping it private but I just want to say that you all nominated some really great stuff, even the album in last place on my list is pretty good!

Definitely hope I can participate in this next year as well.
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

I think its the best nomination list since I started participating
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

It's funny how all five ratings for Neo Noir on RYM are from people on this forum.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Schüttelbirne wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:45 am It's funny how all five ratings for Neo Noir on RYM are from people on this forum.
The same goes for Aguayro. Both albums weren't even on RYM when this game began.
FrankLotion wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:48 pm I won’t spoil how my list went since we’re keeping it private but I just want to say that you all nominated some really great stuff, even the album in last place on my list is pretty good!
This is also the best year up to now for me. I do actually really dislike my last place album and there are also two minor albums in my view, but otherwise this is a stellar line-up.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

This is going to be the first year I don’t vote my own nom #1, although it’s something like 4th and 5th best of the year.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Jirin wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:46 pm This is going to be the first year I don’t vote my own nom #1, although it’s something like 4th and 5th best of the year.
I will say that your nomination was the best discovery of the game for me, loved it.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Rob wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:09 am
Schüttelbirne wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:45 am It's funny how all five ratings for Neo Noir on RYM are from people on this forum.
The same goes for Aguayro. Both albums weren't even on RYM when this game began.
I was meaning to ask actually, how did you discover Aguayro? I saw on Spotify that she only had like 53 monthly listeners so I was wondering if you knew her personally.

Great album by the way.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

FrankLotion wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:14 pm
I was meaning to ask actually, how did you discover Aguayro? I saw on Spotify that she only had like 53 monthly listeners so I was wondering if you knew her personally.

Great album by the way.
I'm doing a write-up to all the albums here (which could perhaps be part of the presentation, if Jirin wouldn't mind) and I'll go into how I discovered Aguayro there. I wouldn't say I know Alba Gil personally, but I met her once last year, very briefly, which has something to do with discovering the album.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Rob wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:33 pm
FrankLotion wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:14 pm

Great album by the way.
I'm doing a write-up to all the albums here (which could perhaps be part of the presentation, if Jirin wouldn't mind) and I'll go into how I discovered Aguayro there. I wouldn't say I know Alba Gil personally, but I met her once last year, very briefly, which has something to do with discovering the album.
Sounds good! I’ll be excited to see your write-up for it.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Phew! Lots of good listening done I’ve sent in my ranking.

I have to say there was a great variety and so got to hear lots of new music/artists I had never heard before too!

Great game. I can’t wait to see the results!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I’ve got 8 more albums to get through.

Aguyaro is giving me a Colin Stetson vibe.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Huh, I thought I was done listening, but it looks like I listened to Marina Topley Bird instead of Magdalena Ganter. The nomination thread says Magdalena Ganter, is it possible somebody edited their nomination post after I initially listened to it?
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Jirin wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:27 pm Huh, I thought I was done listening, but it looks like I listened to Marina Topley Bird instead of Magdalena Ganter. The nomination thread says Magdalena Ganter, is it possible somebody edited their nomination post after I initially listened to it?
rumpdoll did. It took me by surprise as well. :D
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Like I said, I have written a little piece for every album here. I would like to post it to Jirin with my ranking, but do people want it in the results? In the sixties poll BleuPanda does make a mention of how if only one person reviews these things it can be a bit jarring. I get what he means. To be fair, I'm very positive about most of the selections and about the only one I really didn't like, Donda, I already posted a long review in its own topic (my reviews for this series are short, by the way). There are also two albums I have mixed feelings about, but otherwise its mostly praise. If people like to keep it separate I can also post the reviews after the results are done.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Rob wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:25 pm Like I said, I have written a little piece for every album here. I would like to post it to Jirin with my ranking, but do people want it in the results? In the sixties poll BleuPanda does make a mention of how if only one person reviews these things it can be a bit jarring. I get what he means. To be fair, I'm very positive about most of the selections and about the only one I really didn't like, Donda, I already posted a long review in its own topic (my reviews for this series are short, by the way). There are also two albums I have mixed feelings about, but otherwise its mostly praise. If people like to keep it separate I can also post the reviews after the results are done.
To me, the problem is when we're doing a big decade or all-time poll and the comments are negative - since the nomination process here was open game, it also makes sense for the comments to be more scattered. So, the difference to me is that I feel something like our top 250 songs of a decade should be treated more like a celebration of that music we collectively chose.

Edit: in other words, those 60s songs already proved themselves and it feels like cutting them down after the race is over. The MAA game is about discoveries and therefore are trying to prove themselves.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

BleuPanda wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:30 pm
Rob wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:25 pm Like I said, I have written a little piece for every album here. I would like to post it to Jirin with my ranking, but do people want it in the results? In the sixties poll BleuPanda does make a mention of how if only one person reviews these things it can be a bit jarring. I get what he means. To be fair, I'm very positive about most of the selections and about the only one I really didn't like, Donda, I already posted a long review in its own topic (my reviews for this series are short, by the way). There are also two albums I have mixed feelings about, but otherwise its mostly praise. If people like to keep it separate I can also post the reviews after the results are done.
To me, the problem is when we're doing a big decade or all-time poll and the comments are negative - since the nomination process here was open game, it also makes sense for the comments to be more scattered. So, the difference to me is that I feel something like our top 250 songs of a decade should be treated more like a celebration of that music we collectively chose.

Edit: in other words, those 60s songs already proved themselves and it feels like cutting them down after the race is over. The MAA game is about discoveries and therefore are trying to prove themselves.
I get that, but there is still some awkwardness maybe if the only comments are from one person.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Anyone who sends comments I will add in the final rankings.

Today is the official deadline but it might take me a bit to tally results so I’ll accept submissions until I do.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Votes I have so far:
Myself
BleuPanda
Schuttelbirne
rumpdoll
Nassim
RyanM
spiritualized
phil
Brad
mileswide
Rob
DaveC
Rdwdbob
Madzong
Listyguy
FrankLotion
bonnielaurel

Please let me know if I'm missing anyone. I will probably tabulate some time this weekend.

Unless there's major changes in the four ballots I haven't read through yet there might be a runaway victor.
RyanM
Superunknown

Post by RyanM »

BleuPanda wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:30 pm Edit: in other words, those 60s songs already proved themselves and it feels like cutting them down after the race is over. The MAA game is about discoveries and therefore are trying to prove themselves.
Yeah I agree, I'd like to discuss these albums here. Part of the point is that a lot of this is new music to most listeners, and the submitter obviously thinks that their selection is underappreciated in some way.
Rob wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:54 pm I get that, but there is still some awkwardness maybe if the only comments are from one person.
To your point Rob, forum threads can always get awkward if there's no discussion, regardless of the topic.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Jirin wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:33 pm Unless there's major changes in the four ballots I haven't read through yet there might be a runaway victor.
I hope it's not from an English speaking country ! (And if it is, let's make it Australia)
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Nassim wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:23 pm
Jirin wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:33 pm Unless there's major changes in the four ballots I haven't read through yet there might be a runaway victor.
I hope it's not from an English speaking country ! (And if it is, let's make it Australia)
Just going off of the lists I've seen in the year-end thread, I get the feeling the runaway winner is from an English speaking country (though their grammar might not be the best, if you catch my drift)
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Listyguy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:51 pm
Nassim wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:23 pm
Just going off of the lists I've seen in the year-end thread, I get the feeling the runaway winner is from an English speaking country (though their grammar might not be the best, if you catch my drift)
I do, and I'd guess the same, but it's in my bottom 3 so I hope not !
phil
Unquestionable Presence

Post by phil »

I'm guessing it isn't that one. I reckon that might be around 5-8.

I'm surprised there is any runaway victor. I have two guesses (probably bad ones) at what it might be... either my #1 (which isn't my own nomination) or my #6.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Sorry I've been slow to start the results, I've just been busy.

I've looked at all the ballots now, and I will say, there is one album that is top 6 in 13 out of 17 ballots.

There's also one album that is in the bottom half of every single ballot.

The program I wrote to do this calculation, I wrote before I ever worked as a programmer. God damn the code is bad. I should rewrite this.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I've calculated the results now. I will start the rollout this evening.
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Jirin wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:30 pm I've calculated the results now. I will start the rollout this evening.
Awesome Jirin! Looking forward to the countdown. Thanks!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”