June update

notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

June update

Post by notdarkyet »

Not to be a pain but just because I'm getting really excited I wondered if Henrik might specify a targeted date in June for us to look forward to the update going live. The notion that we might be less than a month away is a lot to contain.
Harold
Into the Groove

Re: June update

Post by Harold »

notdarkyet wrote:Not to be a pain but just because I'm getting really excited I wondered if Henrik might specify a targeted date in June for us to look forward to the update going live. The notion that we might be less than a month away is a lot to contain.
I doubt Henrik knows the exact date the update is going live yet; even if he did, I personally don't think I would want to know. I've been content in the past to simply log on one day and, like magic, it's there!
notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

Post by notdarkyet »

I figured with this update being associated with an outside interest licensing the data there would be an agreed upon deadline. Of course if it is not a firm posting date and ready/permitted sooner all the better.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

notdarkyet wrote:I figured with this update being associated with an outside interest licensing the data there would be an agreed upon deadline. Of course if it is not a firm posting date and ready/permitted sooner all the better.
The agreed deadline is June 30. A lot of work remains so it won't be much before then.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

If Henrik wants, I can update the playlist of 3000 songs from spotify
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Otisredding wrote:If Henrik wants, I can update the playlist of 3000 songs from spotify
Otis, I'm thinking of a way to do this automatically, via Excel. But if it doesn't work I'll let you know. Thanks!
notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

Post by notdarkyet »

Awesome, thanks for the info. I obviously very eagerly look forward to the update and appreciate the extraordinary work you do.
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

How's the update coming, Henrik? Any idea at this point which all-time lists will be included? Thanks. :)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henrik wrote:
notdarkyet wrote:I figured with this update being associated with an outside interest licensing the data there would be an agreed upon deadline. Of course if it is not a firm posting date and ready/permitted sooner all the better.
The agreed deadline is June 30. A lot of work remains so it won't be much before then.
JR, this is still my only answer.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

A silly question: In June, all albums and songs will have their positions updated with the inclusion of new lists? Or just going to be made ​​the inclusion of releases (albums and singles) the years 2010-2012?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

All albums and songs will have their positions updated.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Henrik wrote:All albums and songs will have their positions updated.
Thanks, Henrik!
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Any bets on some big changes ?
I'd say Kanye West has a chance at cracking the top 50 artists of all time (OF ALL TIME!!!), so should PJ Harvey, Arcade Fire and Tom Waits should get close to it but no cigar and LCD Soundsystem gain about 10 places.
I don't see anyone cracking the top 100 safe for little readjustments (so any band between 101 and 110 might have a chance, I guess the points difference is rather small between them). I think Sufjan will fell short for lack of highly ranked songs. The National should enter the top 200, maybe Gorillaz too but I doubt it.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Nassim wrote:Any bets on some big changes ?
I'd say Kanye West has a chance at cracking the top 50 artists of all time (OF ALL TIME!!!), so should PJ Harvey, Arcade Fire and Tom Waits should get close to it but no cigar and LCD Soundsystem gain about 10 places.
I don't see anyone cracking the top 100 safe for little readjustments (so any band between 101 and 110 might have a chance, I guess the points difference is rather small between them). I think Sufjan will fell short for lack of highly ranked songs. The National should enter the top 200, maybe Gorillaz too but I doubt it.
Obviously, Frank Ocean will make a HUGE debut on the artist list, with two albums (I'm fairly certain that Nostalgia, Ultra will crack the top 3000) and, if there's any justice, at least two or three high-performing songs as well.

Others poised to make big jumps besides the ones mentioned by Nassim: Beach House, The Black Keys, Bon Iver, Swans (and who the hell could have predicted THAT?!?), Fiona Apple, Vampire Weekend, Flying Lotus, Japandroids, Robyn.

Small jumps likely: Deerhunter, Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear, Dirty Projectors, Wilco, Caribou/Manitoba, Destroyer, St. Vincent, Joanna Newsom, M83, Fucked Up, The xx, Girls, Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Welcome, new friends!: Tame Impala, Kendrick Lamar, Janelle Monae, James Blake, Chromatics, The Weeknd, tUnE-yArDs, Grimes, Ariel Pink, Kurt Vile, Jessie Ware

Hello, old friends starting new chapters!: Big Boi, Jack White
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

M83 are going to have a big jump. "Hurry Up, We're Dreaming" was a top 10 album of 2011 and "Midnight City" could very well be the song of the decade so far.

Kanye West might not break top 50, but he will definitely break top 60. He's getting 2 albums in, one of which will probably be the album of the decade so far, and 7 (Runaway, Power, Monster, All of the Lights, Otis, Niggas In Paris, Mercy) songs added. His rank will skyrocket. LCD Soundsystem might break top 70, but won't break top 60. Beach House might break top 200, or at the very least, top 250. PJ Harvey will break top 50. Arcade Fire will break top 70, but not top 60. Jay-Z's rank will climb a little due to "Watch the Throne" and the 2 songs he's getting off of it. Vampire Weekend might break top 200.

Frank Ocean will be getting 2 albums added, one of which was the album of its year, and 5 songs added (Pyramids, Thinkin Bout You, Bad Religion, Novacane, and Swim Good), one of which was the song of its year. He will probably break top 250.
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

Hopefully some of the notable all-time lists get added in the June update, in addition to recent years' year-end ones- the "newbies" shouldn't be the only ones to have the acclaimed fun. :mrgreen:
o.m.
Different Class

Post by o.m. »

Hey guys, I'm so excited about this June update...It might sound silly but it surely will be the highlight of my year...Will invite some friends around to have a few swedish beers...Spendrups first come to my mind Henrik, available in my local Carrefour but hey, at least it's swedish! Thanks wholeheartedly for this work...Hope the events in Hosby don't affect you too much emotionally...(I know any politic thinking has ever entered this forum, sorry about that pals....) Nassim, considering that only the first 6 albums of an artist are counted for the points, I'm not sure P.J. Harvey will have a HUGE boost in the top 50...That will be the suspense of this update...But Kanye will be the big winner, that's for sure...What an artist!!! At least when he's sober! :mrgreen: ...Last but not least Henrik, Hervé Bourhis has just published a 2013 version of his "LE PETIT LIVRE ROCK" book...Are you interested in the brand new singles for 2010-2012 inclusions...? If so, I go tomorrow to the store and buy a copy...Just a small contribution to the big thing...Hope to hear from you... :music-rockon:
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

o.m. wrote:Nassim, considering that only the first 6 albums of an artist are counted for the points, I'm not sure P.J. Harvey will have a HUGE boost in the top 50
It's not the first 6 chronologically that are counted, it's the 6 highest ranking (or else how the hell would The Beatles be number 1?). And since "Let England Shake" is poised to be one of PJ Harvey's highest ranking, if not THE highest ranking, album of hers, it will surely count towards her artist rank. And I also think Henrik revised the formula so that it's now the 9 highest instead of 6. But I might be wrong about that.
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

Did I miss something, in which Henrik explained something about such-and-such number of albums counting toward points? I wasn't aware- most acts on the AM site probably don't even have nine albums listed, but for some that have many (i.e. The Beatles), that's a lot of points it would be losing.
o.m.
Different Class

Post by o.m. »

My mistake Nick, thanks for clarifying this...By using the word "first" I obviously wanted to mean the first 6 albums by points number and given that right now her 6th highest ranked album is IS THIS DESIRE? (ranked 1694) it will only count for half the points compared to some artists who got for instance 3 albums and are counted a fourth album for points..Do I make myself clear....? I mean it's not as many points as if she had only 5 albums on her active and the last one would be counted...Realistically LET ENGLAND SHAKE will replace IS THIS DESIRE, correct...? Besides, I wasn't aware of that 9 albums rule but hey artists like Prince, Neil Young or Springsteen would gain substantial points, eh....
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

JR wrote:Did I miss something, in which Henrik explained something about such-and-such number of albums counting toward points? I wasn't aware- most acts on the AM site probably don't even have nine albums listed, but for some that have many (i.e. The Beatles), that's a lot of points it would be losing.
I'm not sure I see what you mean, the only artist who would get an edge over the Beatles with 9 albums counted would be Dylan (his #8 The Basement Tapes is 100 places above Please Please Me and his #9 John Wesley Harding is 200 places higher than Let it Be). And this would very likely be compensated by the even bigger edge the Beatles would get on the songs part.
Bruce Springsteen would have a big shot at taking over Radiohead who only have 6 ranked albums though (I guess 7 soon but King of Limbs won't rank very high)
I think going up to 9 albums would be a nice push for albums with a handful of moderately acclaimed albums like Nick Cave, and I'm sure Henrik would find the right formula to balance top heavy artists and more consistant ones.
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

I just meant in general- i.e. if just the top 9 albums are taken into consideration for points, then the Beatles' lead wouldn't be as large as it would be, otherwise. :) Some acts have more than nine albums ranked in the top 3000- a select group, for sure, as most do not.

Is there a threshold for the top tracks, too?
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Further Predictions:

Top 5 Albums of the New Decade:

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
2. The Suburbs
3. Channel Orange
4. Good Kid, M.A.A.D City
5. Let England Shake

Top 5 Songs of the New Decade:

1. Midnight City
2. Fuck You
3. Tightrope
4. Pyramids
5. Rolling In the Deep
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Will the songs and albums lists still go up to 3000? Or will they be extended? I looked at an old post where Henrik said that he might extend it to 4000, but I'm not sure if this is still true.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

Post by notdarkyet »

June's here...and it's palpable! :music-rockon:
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Once again...
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Will the songs and albums lists still go up to 3000? Or will they be extended? I looked at an old post where Henrik said that he might extend it to 4000, but I'm not sure if this is still true.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Will the songs and albums lists still go up to 3000? Or will they be extended? I looked at an old post where Henrik said that he might extend it to 4000, but I'm not sure if this is still true.
I'm 99.9% certain that won't happen with this update.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

I'd rather Henrik not extend it. A larger list means less updates, and the #4000 or #5000 album of all time is pretty statistically insignificant.
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

True. Plus, Henrik already lists many bubbling under entries.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Some time after the update arrives, I'm going to listen to all 3000 songs, from bottom to top.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

:angry-banghead: Waiting...is...so...difficult...
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Jonathon wrote::angry-banghead: Waiting...is...so...difficult...
Patience is a virtue, my friend.

But it's a boring-ass virtue that needs to hurry the hell up.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Ha, it's like we're impatiently standing about the Christmas tree in mid-December.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

*temper tantrum*
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

It's gotten to the point where I'm refreshing the main page a couple dozen times a day, checking for the new update.

But we should all try to be patient. Henrik is obviously working very hard on this, trying to get it to us as fast as possible. And for that, I thank him.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Nick wrote:It's gotten to the point where I'm refreshing the main page a couple dozen times a day, checking for the new update.

But we should all try to be patient. Henrik is obviously working very hard on this, trying to get it to us as fast as possible. And for that, I thank him.
Yep. I'm still not expecting it until the 30th.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Nick wrote:It's gotten to the point where I'm refreshing the main page a couple dozen times a day, checking for the new update.

Me too. I kind of wish I'd extended my sabbatical a bit until the update.
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

I too expect it around the 30th- any time before that would be a bonus. :) As would some notable all-time lists being added, as well.

Thanks to Henrik and assistants in advance for the work.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Yes, thanks to Henrik and company for the work going into this. I've worked on more modestly ambitious music/movie personal lists, and that stuff was time-consuming enough ... I could only imagine how much time something of this order is taking up!
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Sad as this is, the update has kind of kept me going this month. Heartbreak and family illness, all month. This update is going to be my bright spot.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Jonathon wrote:Sad as this is, the update has kind of kept me going this month. Heartbreak and family illness, all month. This update is going to be my bright spot.
I hope the situation gets better for you and your family, Jonathon.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Thank you.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

The update is...up.

I recommend y'all to empty your web browser's cache and history.

Have fun! I will go to bed now and hopefully not too many errors have been found when I wake up...
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Yeah, thanks Henrik! =)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Alright! This was a surprise! Thanks a bunch, Henrik! Glad to see some Beatles in the top 10 songs, and Revolver at #1!

BTW, it seems the only new songs added were songs from 2010-2012. Didn't you say there would be older songs added as well?
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

Ahhhhhh :D
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

The Logical Song is back in the top 3000 songs.

That alone satisfies me completely.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Alright! This was a surprise! Thanks a bunch, Henrik! Glad to see some Beatles in the top 10 songs, and Revolver at #1!

BTW, it seems the only new songs added were songs from 2010-2012. Didn't you say there would be older songs added as well?
I said that, but some of the information got lost in the disc crash last year, and I didn't have the time to catch up again. Next year...
Beans
Superunknown

Post by Beans »

Henrik wrote:The update is...up.

I recommend y'all to empty your web browser's cache and history.

Have fun! I will go to bed now and hopefully not too many errors have been found when I wake up...
You were supposed to be in bed an hour ago, it was a pleasure doing a small bit of work for you Henrik, this site is nothing short of amazing.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Thank you, Henrik. As always. For everything.

For some reason, I had a strong feeling this was going to happen tonight. Of course, I've been saying that pretty much every day for the last two weeks. But it seemed particularly strong today.

Now to dive in...

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”