June update

jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Re: June update

Post by jamieW »

RE: "Call Me Maybe"

Since I've been a Top 40 fan my entire life (although, lately, the word "fan" may be a little strong, since the format is making it increasingly difficult for me), I wanted to weigh-in on "Call Me Maybe." To me, it's an incredibly silly song that doesn't connect with me whatsoever. But then that's the essence of fun, catchy, "pop" music, since we never know what will grab us. I guess the thing that bothered me the most about "Call Me Maybe" was that it became so trendy (possibly because, at first, it fell into the so-bad-it's-good category?), even amongst critics, that it seemed to become "cool" to like it. Again, it's hard for me to be objective, because there are a lot of mainstream songs I still like (and "Call Me Maybe" isn't one of them). However, to my ears anyway, there are many better pop songs out there that just never garner the critical attention that was afforded Carly Rae Jepsen (for whatever reason).
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

"Call Me Maybe" got irritating, as most big hits do when you hear them so often. But, it is catchy and fun and good pop. However, note that her album got little in the way of acclaim. :)
santacosta
Strange Fruit

Post by santacosta »

Excellent job as always :mrgreen: I'll be listening the new additions ASAP. But I must say that I was a little disappointed when I didn't see any of the songs pre-2010 that were supposed to be added to the list, but well, they should be added next year. Keep up the good work, and thank you thank you :music-listening:
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

acroamor wrote:I don't really see how somebody can hold that opinion towards Call Me Maybe and still be fine with say, Be My Baby being as high as it is. Just because something is pop doesn't make it any more or less music than a more "serious" genre.
There are great pop songs out there and Call Me Maybe is not one of them. A great pop song is one that people will be listening to ten years later, long after it is popular. Call Me Maybe is 'good'. But it's only as popular as it is because it happens to hit a current cultural note, and because somebody paid Clear Channel to make their radio stations play it.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I have been travelling over the weekend, but I have constantly checked the forum for new comments on the update and I'm so glad that I have pleased so many. :happy-partydance:

Re: that no songs or albums before 2010 were added in this update
This is the first time I have ever made an update where I didn't add songs that I know would have made the top 3000. I can assure you that it annoys me just as much as you, but I just couldn't find the time to do the work. The inclusion of 2010-2012 had the highest priority. Hopefully next year I will be able to catch up with everything.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Awesome work Henrik; haven't found a whole lot of time to check things in depth but from what I've seen this must have been an immense workload. I don't know how you find the time (even with some help).
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

ehh, as for Call Me Maybe. I use to absolutely hate it, but I warmed up to it a bit. However I can see it making the list, but I also don't agree with how high it is
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Daniel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Daniel »

Which pre-2010 songs would have made the cut?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Daniel wrote:Which pre-2010 songs would have made the cut?
I can't say exactly which, but many of these.
Daniel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Daniel »

Henrik wrote:
Daniel wrote:Which pre-2010 songs would have made the cut?
I can't say exactly which, but many of these.
Thanks :) Was there any specific sort of extra help you needed in getting these songs into the next update, or is it mostly the time consumption involved with HTML encoding?
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Jirin wrote:
acroamor wrote:I don't really see how somebody can hold that opinion towards Call Me Maybe and still be fine with say, Be My Baby being as high as it is. Just because something is pop doesn't make it any more or less music than a more "serious" genre.
There are great pop songs out there and Call Me Maybe is not one of them. A great pop song is one that people will be listening to ten years later, long after it is popular. Call Me Maybe is 'good'. But it's only as popular as it is because it happens to hit a current cultural note, and because somebody paid Clear Channel to make their radio stations play it.
For some reason the song that it reminds me the most is Hanson's MmmBop. They're fun and catchy and well written and produced even if they are not the greatest artistic achievement ever. Mmmbop was in the top 1000 once upon a time and now seems to settle around #1500 and I can imagine Call Me Maybe doing the same (though Mmmbop hasn't appeared in any all time list for a long time so I guess it can continue its decrease)
I am pretty sure it will remain popular and be heard on the radio for a long time anyway.

On a related note, I quite enjoy Macklemore and Ryan Lewis songs and don't really understand the critical bashing they receive (if you want to bash a rapper who is all over the radio, go for Pitbull for God's sake !)
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Nassim wrote: On a related note, I quite enjoy Macklemore and Ryan Lewis songs and don't really understand the critical bashing they receive (if you want to bash a rapper who is all over the radio, go for Pitbull for God's sake !)
They're definitely better than, say, Drake, who is now on AM's list. I've only heard two of their songs, and I like "Can't Hold Us" and I'm indifference to "Thrift Shop".
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Thanks Henrik.

Your hard work makes us happy.

I'm discovering new wonderful songs.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Great job, Henrik! Thanks for the continuous effort :D
guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Post by guigs2910 »

Even though I really like Drake too, I must say how much I ADORE Thrift Shop! I think its beat is quite unique and the lyrics are pure rap-comedy-fun genius! I don't really understand why it is not garnering much critical acclaim. But, that's life.
Immerse your soul in love. No matter how it ends, no matter how it starts.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein ( 1973 ) # 2361
America - A Horse with No Name ( 1972 ) # 2431
Coasters - Charlie Brown (1958)

Henrik, you have the wrong years on these three items. The Edgar Winter is 1972, the America is 1971 and the Coasters record is 1959.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Hymie is partially right:
- Edgar Winter Group released "Frankenstein" as a single on 1973 but previously closed their album "They Only Come Out at Night" released in 1972.
- The Coasters released "Charlie Brown" in January 1959 according to different sources (Rateyourmusic, SoulfulKindaMusic and an official page on Angelfire). Some other sources (Discogs for instance) date it as 1958 but probably it should be changed to 1959.

About "A Horse With No Name" I'm not sure. According to Wikipedia it seems that America's first album was released on December 29 of 1971 but the first pressings didn't include that song. The song was released as a single in January of 1972 and became a big hit, so the re-releases of the album added that song. But I told it before, I'm not completely sure.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

> Procol Harum - Conquistador ( 1967 ) # 2345
Shouldn't this be the live version from 1972? That was the hit version.

> The Stylistics - Betcha By Golly, Wow ( 1972 ) # 2528
This is from 1971. Its on their debut album (The Stylistics) which enetred the Billboard pop albums chart already in December of 1971.

> The Stylistics - You Make Me Feel Brand New ( 1974 ) # 2713
This is from 1973. It's on the Rockin' Roll Baby album which was on the Billboard pop albums chart already in November of 1973.

> Don & Juan - What's Your Name ( 1962 ) # 2858
This is from 1961. It did not become a hit until 1962, but if you check the label number (Big Top 3079) you'll see that it was an earlier release than "So Long Baby" by Del Shannon (Big Top 3083), which was on the Billboard Hot 100 already in September of 1961. It took like 5-6 months before it became a hit.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Hymie, can you please post these corrections in the error thread instead of this one? That'll make it easier for Henrik to keep track of them.
o.m.
Different Class

Post by o.m. »

It's been almost one week that this update was online and I haven't had enough of scrutinizing all the changes...The songs section looks superb Henrik...!!! I can't believe you included the 10000 additional songs in the index from the big book...Well, the result is beyond expectations really...You're the boss! ;)
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I'm surprised at the level of discussion on "Call Me Maybe"...do people not notice that songs like "Crazy in Love," "Umbrella," "Toxic," and "Since U Been Gone" are ranked well above it, or do they all prefer those songs? In my opinion "Call Me Maybe" is one of the most fun and definitive pop songs of the last 10 years. Its impact whenever it was played in a public setting anywhere last summer was undeniable. Also, it cruised to a Pazz and Jop victory, and is ranked well behind most recent Pazz and Jop winning singles. Do you guys all really hate it that much, or are you just afraid to admit that it's a pretty great pop song?

Disclosure: I really do like this song personally and think it belongs up in the T1000, and is arguably pretty underrated. Especially considering newer songs that made very little popular or cultural impact (such as "Myth" by Beach House and "Losing You" by Solange and "Bad Girls" by M.I.A.) ranked higher without anyone complaining.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Jackson wrote:I'm surprised at the level of discussion on "Call Me Maybe"...do people not notice that songs like "Crazy in Love," "Umbrella," "Toxic," and "Since U Been Gone" are ranked well above it, or do they all prefer those songs?
Yes, but they are much better than "Call Me Maybe", which is also good.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Jackson wrote:I'm surprised at the level of discussion on "Call Me Maybe"...do people not notice that songs like "Crazy in Love," "Umbrella," "Toxic," and "Since U Been Gone" are ranked well above it, or do they all prefer those songs? In my opinion "Call Me Maybe" is one of the most fun and definitive pop songs of the last 10 years. Its impact whenever it was played in a public setting anywhere last summer was undeniable. Also, it cruised to a Pazz and Jop victory, and is ranked well behind most recent Pazz and Jop winning singles. Do you guys all really hate it that much, or are you just afraid to admit that it's a pretty great pop song?

Disclosure: I really do like this song personally and think it belongs up in the T1000, and is arguably pretty underrated. Especially considering newer songs that made very little popular or cultural impact (such as "Myth" by Beach House and "Losing You" by Solange and "Bad Girls" by M.I.A.) ranked higher without anyone complaining.
Of the songs you mentioned, I'd prefer "Call Me Maybe" to "Toxic" and maybe "Umbrella". I'm still hungover from hearing the song so many times last summer.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Henrik wrote:
Otisredding wrote:If Henrik wants, I can update the playlist of 3000 songs from spotify
Otis, I'm thinking of a way to do this automatically, via Excel. But if it doesn't work I'll let you know. Thanks!
Is there a spotify version of the top 3000 available?
Daniel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Daniel »

Jackson wrote:I'm surprised at the level of discussion on "Call Me Maybe"...do people not notice that songs like "Crazy in Love," "Umbrella," "Toxic," and "Since U Been Gone" are ranked well above it, or do they all prefer those songs?
While I do enjoy "Umbrella" and "Toxic" (probably the only songs I actually like from Rihanna and Britney Spears), I remember being shocked at the acclaim for "Crazy in Love" and "Since U Been Gone" when they were released. Some other songs that fall into this category whose acclaim I find baffling:
Missy Elliott - "Get Ur Freak On," "Work It"
Amerie - "1 Thing"
Kelis - "Milkshake"
Usher - "Yeah!," "Climax"
...just to name a few.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henry wrote:
Henrik wrote:
Otisredding wrote:If Henrik wants, I can update the playlist of 3000 songs from spotify
Otis, I'm thinking of a way to do this automatically, via Excel. But if it doesn't work I'll let you know. Thanks!
Every all-time, decade and year list of songs has a link "SPOTIFY PLAYLIST" in the top of their pages.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Henrik wrote:
Henry wrote:
Henrik wrote: Otis, I'm thinking of a way to do this automatically, via Excel. But if it doesn't work I'll let you know. Thanks!
Every all-time, decade and year list of songs has a link "SPOTIFY PLAYLIST" in the top of their pages.
Thanks Henrik. When I looked at the Spotify list for the top 3000 songs I was not able to reconcile the order of songs in the Spotify list with either the 2013 or 2011 ranking. For example, I attempted to find Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" at number 348 or at number 311 on the Spotify List, but was unable to find the song at either location. I would greatly appreciate it if someone would please help me understand what is going on with this Spotify List so that I can use it more effectively. Thanks!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

It's at the 348th place. If you sort the list by artist you will find it easier. Then mark the track and re-sort the list back in the original order.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Henrik wrote:It's at the 348th place. If you sort the list by artist you will find it easier. Then mark the track and re-sort the list back in the original order.
Doesn't work for me. The spotify list I see (admittedly I only have the free version) has The Police's Roxanne at 348, the list doesn't appear to permit me to sort it as I can other lists that I create myself. My problem could very well be operator related given my approaching senility :greetings-waveyellow:

When I went to the 1985 list, Running up that Hill does show up as the 2nd ranked song, but it is not available for play (indicated by grey font, instead of black for those songs on the list that will play).
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henry wrote:
Henrik wrote:It's at the 348th place. If you sort the list by artist you will find it easier. Then mark the track and re-sort the list back in the original order.
Doesn't work for me. The spotify list I see (admittedly I only have the free version) has The Police's Roxanne at 348, the list doesn't appear to permit me to sort it as I can other lists that I create myself. My problem could very well be operator related given my approaching senility :greetings-waveyellow:

When I went to the 1985 list, Running up that Hill does show up as the 2nd ranked song, but it is not available for play (indicated by grey font, instead of black for those songs on the list that will play).
Probably you aren't able to play the song where you live. Go to Edit/Preferences and untick "Hide unplayable tracks" to see what you are missing.

Edit: Your second paragraph indicates that you have already unticked this box. I'm confused.
chet_baker
Start Me Up

Post by chet_baker »

I love that critics are so willing to include pop hits in their lists. 1 thing, Since U been gone and Toxic are great examples. But call me maybe? I just don't hear it.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

If anyone's interested, there are some sporcle quizzes I made a while back for the top song and album by year that I've edited for the new update.
Songs
Albums
mattschroeder
Are You Experienced?

Post by mattschroeder »

Harold wrote:A quick note, in case anyone's interested, on what I've come to refer to as "Project 3000," my quest to own all of the top 3000 albums on CD.

There are 199 new entries or re-entries to the top 3000 in this update.

I already have all of them.

That is all.
Harold, I remember you saying that you have most of the songs on PRESENTING THE FABULOUS RONETTES FEATURING VERONICA (#1437 on the list) because that particular album has never been released as a standalone CD. Not sure if you were aware, but that disc was released as part of a box set called "Phil Spector Presents the Philles Album Collection". If you're desperate to get it, you can probably get the box set on Amazon or something.

OR

On a recent trip over to Seattle, I was at a library that actually had this box set, and I ripped a copy of PtFRFV to my computer. If you'd like, I'd be happy to burn a CD of that album and send it your way. Your call.

Of course, all of this is a moot point if you already own that box set.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

mattschroeder wrote: Harold, I remember you saying that you have most of the songs on PRESENTING THE FABULOUS RONETTES FEATURING VERONICA (#1437 on the list) because that particular album has never been released as a standalone CD. Not sure if you were aware, but that disc was released as part of a box set called "Phil Spector Presents the Philles Album Collection". If you're desperate to get it, you can probably get the box set on Amazon or something.
Oh, I was very aware of that boxed set. I couldn't bring myself to spring for the whole 7-disc set just to get the album, but fortunately they made Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes available as a standalone digital download a few months later. Purchased it, downloaded it, burned it to a CD, filed it. I don't think I ever mentioned that here, so let me make it clear that I have the entire top 3000.
mattadam
Start Me Up

Post by mattadam »

Just wanted to thank Henrik and all those who work on this site! I honestly don't know what I'd do without it! God bless
Best album of 2013: Reflektor by Arcade Fire

How did it only get an 80 on metacritic!?

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”