Little Simz lyrics

discord
Let's Get It On

Little Simz lyrics

Post by discord »

Is it just me that finds her lyrics superficial, lacking any depth of thought whatsoever?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: Little Simz lyrics

Post by StevieFan13 »

Yes
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Is this in reference to all her work or just the new album? Because the new album is a boring slog to get through, cheesy as hell and the lyrics really are pretty vapid. But GREY Area is really great (which is why Sometimes I Might Be Introvert is so disappointing).
discord
Let's Get It On

Post by discord »

Schüttelbirne wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:23 am Is this in reference to all her work or just the new album? Because the new album is a boring slog to get through, cheesy as hell and the lyrics really are pretty vapid. But GREY Area is really great (which is why Sometimes I Might Be Introvert is so disappointing).
The 2021 album. I haven't heard anything else by her. But this one is woeful. I'm amazed it is so well liked.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

discord wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:35 pm
Schüttelbirne wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:23 am Is this in reference to all her work or just the new album? Because the new album is a boring slog to get through, cheesy as hell and the lyrics really are pretty vapid. But GREY Area is really great (which is why Sometimes I Might Be Introvert is so disappointing).
The 2021 album. I haven't heard anything else by her. But this one is woeful. I'm amazed it is so well liked.
GREY Area isn't as grandiose and sprawling as SIMBI - no Emma Corrin spoken-word interludes over Disneyesque strings - so you may like it more.

As for SIMBI, to each their own - for me, it's one of those albums that announced itself as an instant classic the first time I listened to it. Not going to derail this thread with praise, just popping in to say that I'm not surprised at all that it's running away with the poll so far. Doesn't mean we're all right and those who don't like it are wrong - no such thing. Everyone doesn't have to like the same things.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

The lyrics are alright, not Kendrick-level conceptual, but they're good for what they are
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

prosecutorgodot wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:49 pm The lyrics are alright, not Kendrick-level conceptual, but they're good for what they are
One thing that is a little irritating: she has a penchant for deliberately mispronouncing words (e.g., accenting the wrong syllable, etc.) to fit the particular cadence or rhyme scheme she's going for at a given moment - including Kendrick Lamar's name (she says "LAM-ar")!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I don’t see it. Her lyrics aren’t brilliant or anything but they’re not especially vapid by any stretch. Especially if your base for comparison is the mainstream.

A tad reductionist, perhaps. But how much of the music we listen to legitimately isn’t?
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Although the music and vocals are the main attraction for me, I don't mind the lyrics at all. They're just fine.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I don't pay much attention to the lyrics because the music itself is so grandiose and sprawling. I'll pay more attention the next time I go through the album.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

I'm not in love with the album lyrically either, for whatever it's worth.
Harold wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:31 pm One thing that is a little irritating: she has a penchant for deliberately mispronouncing words (e.g., accenting the wrong syllable, etc.) to fit the particular cadence or rhyme scheme she's going for at a given moment - including Kendrick Lamar's name (she says "LAM-ar")!
Awhhh, I like that though! The rhythmic creativity keeps me on my toes. Missy was good at that. Who can forget where they were when they first heard "I feel the wind / five six seven, eight nine ten / begin / I sit on hills like lau-ryn / until the rain... starts... coming down, pou-rin"? Well, I do, but you get the point.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

To me, the appeal of the album lies largely in its production - I think Kanye is a better comparison than Kendrick for why people care about SIMBI. I generally have difficulty processing lyrics on the first listen of anything, but I was immediately hooked by the overall sound.

I don't think the lyrics are a negative as much as they largely serve to push the moment to moment energy. Individual lines carry more weight than the verses, and I think the deliberately stilted delivery at certain times is key. Even the album title is deliberately awkward. And I think there is a greater purpose to this aspect - many people are immediately dismissed if their grammar or pronunciation isn't 100% perfect. But what matters more, the grammar or the message? And what does it mean to dismiss someone for these reasons if you ultimately understand their words? I would guess Little Simz has experienced this sort of dismissal before and is choosing to embrace it - she wants to irritate some of us with something that ultimately doesn't matter.

But whatever the themes of this album, my love of it is almost entirely on a sonic level.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

BleuPanda wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:15 pm To me, the appeal of the album lies largely in its production - I think Kanye is a better comparison than Kendrick for why people care about SIMBI. I generally have difficulty processing lyrics on the first listen of anything, but I was immediately hooked by the overall sound.
Agreed on this. The sonic difference between SIMBI and Grey Area is startling, even though Inflo is running both shows - it's immediately apparent that Simz and Inflo have jumped onto the go-big-or-go-home train, and it's thrilling. In fact, those few tracks that sound more like the previous album stick out like the proverbial sore you-know-what.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”