My 1,000 Favorite Songs of all Time

SavoyBG
Let's Get It On

Re: My 1,000 Favorite Songs of all Time

Post by SavoyBG »

Henry wrote:
SavoyBG wrote:
Henrik has no problem with me listing a bunch of songs where he has them listed in the wrong year. How come the rest of you are so sensitive about your mistakes?

A real dedicated music fan does not let someone's personality prevent them from discovering a record that do not know and would like.

Savoy - as demonstrated yesterday, when you provided corrections to my 1982 listings, some of us can readily appreciate the value of your corrections. The clearly established fact that some folks do not take such corrections as gracefully as you would prefer, does not mean that you should continue engaging with arrogance. What exactly did your mother teach you :o
She taught me to never back down when I am in the right.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

SavoyBG wrote:
Henry wrote:
SavoyBG wrote:
Henrik has no problem with me listing a bunch of songs where he has them listed in the wrong year. How come the rest of you are so sensitive about your mistakes?

A real dedicated music fan does not let someone's personality prevent them from discovering a record that do not know and would like.

Savoy - as demonstrated yesterday, when you provided corrections to my 1982 listings, some of us can readily appreciate the value of your corrections. The clearly established fact that some folks do not take such corrections as gracefully as you would prefer, does not mean that you should continue engaging with arrogance. What exactly did your mother teach you :o
She taught me to never back down when I am in the right.
She taught you that arrogance was correct? I doubt it.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

SavoyBG, I don't think anybody is disputing the release dates you suggest. It's just the tone of your language that has raised eyebrows from what I can tell.

We all can make the mistake sometimes of communicating over the internet with a tone that is misconstrued - I've pissed off a number of people at times as well, but such instances have always been resolved.

I think you'll find that this community is rather close-knit in that regard and hence the dialogue may be friendlier and more "PC" than on other forums. Several users have met up in real life on a number of occasions and I feel that this both reflects and contributes to the nature of the discussions that go on here.

I'm not really comfortable giving advice to anyone, but I can say that there is a ton of great information to be gleaned from the users here if you approach them in a friendly manner.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

To summarize :

"
Forumer : ...26 : Queen - Another one bites the dust - 1932...
SavoyBG : mother son of the bitch, this is not the fucking real date, it's obviously 1982, you are so stupid.
Forumer : ??????? Your behavior is not acceptable.
SavoyBG : you don't accept my correction, you are such an asshole.
"

Can you see the problem now? It's not your lists, it's not the corrections, it's the way you come in this forum and talking to people. Nothing else!

I think you can bring some fresh air for the 50's and 60's lists but with decent words, please.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I don't listen to albums. Never bought into that record company marketing strategy.
I can agree that there were (and always will be) albums which were nothing but collections of singles and could be considered marketing strategies, however I don't believe this holds true for all albums. The notion of a singular piece of art (album) with many segments (singles) is not just some 20th century construct or marketing strategy.

The songlines of Indigenous Australians are sung in a sequence which allows travellers to navigate the terrain.
Paintings may be Polyptychs (Ghent Altarpiece) or contain various scenes that make a whole.
Plays and films have acts and scenes.
Symphonies have movements.
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Post by DDD troll account »

Henry wrote:Perhaps we should attempt to respond playfully to Savoy because it appears to me that Savoy has a very well developed appreciation of music from which we could benefit - as long as we don't get sidetracked by his overplayed condescension.
I can confirm this. I know Savoy from the DDD boards (he is Bruce there, editor of many a list on the main site). Reading through this thread I get some kind of a déjà vu since similar discussions took place when he posted this list there a few months ago. Once you get over the fact that he has some very bold opinions that barely anyone will ever agree with and learn to ignore these, he can be a very nice guy and he definitely knows his shit when it comes to the single-oriented music of the early r&b/r&r era. Even if he may sometimes comes off as a bit arrogant, I doubt he means it.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

SavoyBG wrote:Henrik has no problem with me listing a bunch of songs where he has them listed in the wrong year. How come the rest of you are so sensitive about your mistakes?
I the report errors thread you were only supportive, and thus I was only grateful.
pauldrach wrote:
Henry wrote:Perhaps we should attempt to respond playfully to Savoy because it appears to me that Savoy has a very well developed appreciation of music from which we could benefit - as long as we don't get sidetracked by his overplayed condescension.
I can confirm this. I know Savoy from the DDD boards (he is Bruce there, editor of many a list on the main site). Reading through this thread I get some kind of a déjà vu since similar discussions took place when he posted this list there a few months ago. Once you get over the fact that he has some very bold opinions that barely anyone will ever agree with and learn to ignore these, he can be a very nice guy and he definitely knows his shit when it comes to the single-oriented music of the early r&b/r&r era. Even if he may sometimes comes off as a bit arrogant, I doubt he means it.
These words from Henry and pauldrach seem like the most positive way possible to end this thread, so I'm closing it (and the 1956 thread) now. Let us all start over with the friendly dialogue we are used to in this forum.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”