Moderately Acclaimed Albums 4 - Round 1.5

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 4 - Round 1.5

Post by Brad »

Round 1.5

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as he or she has heard both albums!
Comments are strongly encouraged but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = April 8th at 10am EST

Matchups:
1. Sugar - Copper Blue vs. Elvis Costello - King Of America
2. Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape vs. Tom Waits - Blue Valentine
3. Santana - Supernatural vs. The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette
4. Patty Water - Sings vs. The Tallest Man On Earth - Shallow Grave

Lay It Down Clown!
Last edited by Brad on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 4 - Round 1.5

Post by Honorio »

1. Sugar - Copper Blue vs. The Costello Show - King of America
2. Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape vs. Tom Waits - Blue Valentine
3. Santana - Supernatural vs. The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette
4. Patty Waters - Sings vs. The Tallest Man on Earth - Shallow Grave

I told before that I was not going to post comments but if you don't mind I'm going to post the very first music review I ever wrote. I did it after the first album poll in 2005, then I asked the posters to defence the highest album on their list than no one else voted for. That was my case with "King of America," it was my #18 album but no one else voted for it. That why I wrote the...

Ten Reasons Why I Love Costello’s “King of America”

1. The SONGS: The first reason for loving an album must always be the music that contains, and the music of this record is first class. The songs of this set are the most consistent in the second part of Costello’s amazing career. From the gorgeous opener “Brilliant Mistake” to the sad closer “Sleep of the Just” (both with similar melodic line) there’s not a weak moment in the record. And we’re talking about an album with 15 songs and almost 1 hour length. And some great songs remained unreleased (in the bonus CD of the 2005 reissue we can find “King of Confidence” or specially “Shoes Without Heels”, better songs that others that made the cut).
2. It’s Elvis 86 COMEBACK Special: “King of America” is a pivotal album in the Costello career. Elvis had released previously tons of great material, evolving from the quasi-punk angry young man of “This Year’s Model” to the crafted, sophisticated and elegant songwriter of “Imperial Bedroom”. After the (relative) failure of “Goodbye Cruel World”, an uninspired divorce album, and after a year without any Costello release (having released 1 or 2 albums per year since 1977), “King of America” was a kind of “comeback” album.
3. It’s a PERSONAL album: the album is credited to The Costello Show but in the album credits the artist appears as Declan MacManus, his real name (Columbia Records refused to release the album under that name alleging contractual reasons). And, even if the lyrics continue his particular tradition of cynical and clever observations of the world around him (“He thought he was the King of America / where they pour Coca Cola just like vintage wine” “She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet that she knew how to use”), it introduces several verses about his personal feelings. The line “I was a good idea at the time / now I’m a brilliant mistake” doesn’t left any space for doubt. Elvis Costello was then facing divorce and alcoholism, although was soon to recover by marrying Cait O’Riordan, the Pogues bass player (Costello was the producer of the great Pogues album “Rum, Sodomy and the Lash”).
4. It’s an GENRE EXERCISE on American music, especially country & western, but it still is a personal album. I’m fascinated for the musicians who, having chosen to do this kind of genre exercise, are able of creating new and fresh material culling the elements from old and venerable styles. It could be compared with some Clint Eastwood movies, in which generates relevant new material without stop being genre films (western in “Unforgiven”, impossible-love drama in “The Bridges of Madison County”, boxing in “Million Dollar Baby”). I think that’s very difficult to write a song that seems to has been always there, floating in the air.
5. The MUSICIANS: It was the first album without The Attractions since 1977’s “My Aim Is True” giving himself the opportunity to breathe (although he returned with the Attractions for his next effort, the equally good “Blood and Chocolate”). But the session musicians (The Confederates) that backed Elvis in this album were the best for making that kind of music. To name only three: T-Bone Burnett (that act also as the sessions producer), James Burton (whose guitar can be heard backing Gram Parsons or –significantly- the other Elvis) and Jim Keltner (whose curriculum as a drummer produces vertigo).
6. The VISION, the concept or whatever you call it: This album was conceived like a journey through America, and I suppose that’s a dangerous subject for American people coming from a cynical European. But it can be considered “the journey across America in relation to the journey into oneself”, using a quote from the excellent review of Adrian Pennigton in Amazon.co.uk. More verses taken from the album: “Now I’m in America and running from you / Like my grandfather before me I walk the streets of New York / And I think of all the woman I pretend mean more than you / When I open my mouth and I can’t seem to talk”.
7. The VERSATILITY of Elvis and the band: in this journey through America no style is forbidden, all are boarded with energy and confidence. It dominates the country music, being up-tempo numbers (like “Glitter Gulch” or “The Big Light”) or torch ballads (like “Our Little Angel” or the great “Indoor Fireworks”). But in this album you can also get generous portions of rockabilly (“Lovable”), blues (“Eisenhower Blues”), folk (“Little Palaces”) or even jazz (“Poisoned Rose”). All American styles, aren’t they? And, of course, my favourite style (and Costello’s): pop. My favourite songs of this set are bright pop songs like the opener “Brilliant Mistake” and “Jack of All Parades”.
8. The VOCAL PERFORMANCE. The voice of Elvis Costello maybe is not his main assets, being much more recognized as a songwriter. But, even if it’s funny to hear him trying (without luck) to howl like James Brown in “Eisenhower Blues”, in this album Costello improves leaps and bounds as a singer. Listen to his vibrato (his vocal signature within the years) in “Poisoned Rose”, to the transitions from whisper to cry in “I’ll Wear It Proudly” and to the breaking of the voice (intentional or not) in the last verse of “Our Little Angel”.
9. Does HUMOUR belongs in music? asked Frank Zappa. Of course, Frankie, humour is always welcome. Costello, an archetypical Englishman, the King of America? Why not? It could not be worse than George W. Bush.
10. And, uh, well, I was very young when I bought this album, and reminds me of a girlfriend then (that I was deeply in love). I remember a tape I recorded for her that I named “Especially for You”. I don’t remember many songs (it was more than 25 years ago) but I remember that opened with “Brilliant Mistake”. Basically the tape included some of my favourites songs of that year (like “Fall on Me” by R.E.M., “Blood and Roses” by The Smithereens, “Already Yesterday” by The Church or “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” by The Smiths), but also a few of all-time favourites like The Byrds’s “My Back Pages” or Bowie’s “Life on Mars”. Anyway, the tape didn’t work. The relationship was soon to break. We were a fine idea at the time, now…

But "Copper Blue" is a fantastic album too! We will see what happens...

And another last comment: many thanks HRS for discovering us the hidden gem of Patty Waters' debut album, an artist and album I never heard about. It made me go to the 1960s Poll to see if someone voted for it on the 1965 Poll. And no, not even sonofsamiam, Mindrocker or Charlie Driggs. A surprising album, with an A-side filled with minimalistic miniatures of eerie vocal jazz and a B-side that it's like a descent into madness.
Greg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Greg »

1. Elvis Costello - King Of America
2. Tom Waits - Blue Valentine
3. The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette
4. Patty Water - Sing
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Reminder - there is also an outstanding overtime match-up from Round 1.4:
2. Miossec - Boire vs. Cesária Évora - Miss Perfumado

Both are available via Spotify.

Next vote wins!
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

I've avoided nominating Shallow Grave so far (although for many of the tournaments it wasn't eligible) for fear of annoying you guys too much, but I couldn't any longer. It's up against an album that's perhaps equally special, but not nearly as enjoyable to me. Also, I had avoided Supernatural, but this competition kinda ruined that plan. It wasn't as bad as I'd expected, I suppose; the first song is okay.

1. The Tallest Man On Earth - Shallow Grave
3. Elvis Costello - King Of America
4. Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape
5. Patty Waters - Sings
6. The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette
7. Sugar - Copper Blue
8. Santana - Supernatural
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

2. Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape is preferred over Tom Waits - Blue Valentine
3. Santana - Supernatural is preferred over The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

4. The Tallest Man On Earth - Shallow Grave
Billy
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Billy »

1. Elvis Costello - King of America
2. Sugar - Copper Blue
3. Tom Waits - Blue Valentine
4. The Tallest Man on Earth - Shallow Grave
5. Patty Waters - Sings
6. Foo Fighters - The Color and the Shape
7. Santana - Supernatural
8. The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette

1. King of America is my favorite Elvis Costello album and he has some really good ones. Honestly I would not be sad if this one won the whole competition. Copper Blue is one that I grew up with, so it might be sort of a nostalgic pick, but I'd consider it a very strong album. Sadly, Elvis is just too big of a beast for Bob Mould of Husker Du fame.

2. Blue Valentine is sort of a different album for Tom Waits compared to his previous works, but executes it rather well. I like it a lot. The Foo Fighters album features some of their most popular songs and is a good album in that regard. I just feel there are too many filler songs to justify a great score. The "filler" songs aren't bad but nonetheless, it doesn't translate for me. If this wasn't such a monster weak, it probably would be higher up on the list.

3. I'm sort of indifferent to both albums in this match but I preferred Santana over The Damned.

4. The Tallest Man on Earth edges the Patty Waters vocals. I really enjoy the instrumentation in The Shallow Grave, something that's sort of lacking in Sings, which leaves me a little bored at stretches. However, the last track on Sings is quite something....somehow I enjoyed very much, though I think I wouldn't be able to take repeated listens of it.

This week was pretty strong, man these are the weeks I look forward to. Keep em coming!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Tom Waits - Blue Valentine 90
The Tallest Man On Earth - Shallow Grave 85
Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape 84
Patty Waters - Sing 76
Elvis Costello - King Of America 75
Sugar - Copper Blue 61
Santana - Supernatural 53
The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette 37
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

What a strange week :

2. Sugar - Copper Blue
3. Tom Waits - Blue Valentine
4. The Tallest Man On Earth - Shallow Grave
5. Patty Waters - Sings
6. Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape
7. The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette
8. Santana - Supernatural
Michel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Michel »

Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My Picks:

1. Elvis Costello - King Of America over Sugar - Copper Blue
Copper Blue is my favorite non-Husker Mould effort, but it's not enough to beat Elvis. Saw both these bands on their respective tours for these albums, incidentally.
2. Tom Waits - Blue Valentine over Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape
"Kentucky Avenue" is my favorite Waits song, incidentally.
3. The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette over Santana - Supernatural
Not close for me. I'd like a third of the Santana album if it was half as long and all instrumental.
4. The Tallest Man On Earth - Shallow Grave over Patty Water - Sings
Very close - mood favors Tallest Man.

Thanks!
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

Elvis Costello - King Of America
Tom Waits - Blue Valentine
The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette (this better win)
Patty Waters - Sings (I had heard this before, but it's not in my all-time faves. Still, fascinating stuff.)
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Elvis Costello - King Of America
Tom Waits - Blue Valentine
Patty Waters - Sings

Honorio - Glad you enjoyed Patty; she's one of those artists that were born for this game. Great writing on King of America! :D

On a sidenote: Too bad she went up against The Tallest Man on Earth because they were two of my favorite records of the game, so far. I'm glad to have given her a minor exposition and satisfied with whichever pass to the next round!
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

King of America over Copper Blue, although my vote doesn't matter much. :( :D
I feel like that
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

PlasticRam your vote matters as much as any other's!! Welcome to the forum and thanks for your participation in this game
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

I took the time and I vote for Cesaria! Outstanding voice! I also like to point out that I found out that a close aunt of mine is really a fan of her and know the songs by heart. She also pointed out that my late-grandmother loved Cesaria and their voices even shared a similar tone.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

I hope I won't forget tomorrow. So far (and in case I forget) I can say that

I'll vote for Blue Valentine in the second match
And for Shallow Grave in the 4th
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

1. Sugar - Copper Blue vs. Elvis Costello - King Of America

Very close, and I'm normally not a huge Costello fan, but the sheer variety of King of America won me over.

2. Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape vs. Tom Waits - Blue Valentine

I like the Foo Fighters' singles, but the album as a whole doesn't really impress me. Waits has definitely done better than Blue Valentine (if his repertoire consists of bastards, bawlers, and brawlers, this album seems to only have the bawlers), but it's enough to win this round.

3.Santana - Supernatural vs. The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette

Another close vote where I changed my mind at the last minute. Supernatural is super catchy, but the awesome wailing guitars in "Plan 9 Channel 7" convinced me that the Damned deserved my vote.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Blue Valentine
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Thanks HRS... Cesaria wins!

about 22 hours left to vote for this week's matchups!
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

2. Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
The third and quite possibly last great album labelled "post grunge" is an old personal favorite, one of the albums that really got me into music, so I can't be really objective about it. That being said, Blue Valentine left me quite indifferent.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Results
16 total voters:
Billy
Brad
DaveC
Greg
Henrik
Henry
Honorio
HRS
Jirin
kingoftonga
Michel
Nassim
nicolas
sonofsamiam
Stephan
PlasticRam

Winners:
1. Elvis Costello - King Of America over Sugar - Copper Blue 12-0
2. Tom Waits - Blue Valentine over Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape 13-2
3. The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette over Santana - Supernatural 8-3
4. The Tallest Man On Earth - Shallow Grave over Patty Waters - Sings 6-4

Round 1.6 up soon!
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

HRS wrote:Honorio - Glad you enjoyed Patty; she's one of those artists that were born for this game. Great writing on King of America! :D
Many thanks, HRS. And many thanks for voting for Cesária, I was afraid of having her eliminated on first round!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”