R.I.P. Jim Steinman

Harold
Into the Groove

R.I.P. Jim Steinman

Post by Harold »

Jim Steinman, the songwriter/producer/arranger best known as the architect of Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell, has passed away at age 73:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... y-1158472/

Steinman worked with many other artists besides ML. In fact, for three straight weeks in 1983, the top two singles on the Billboard Hot 100 were Steinman creations: Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" ("TURN AROUND, BRIGHT EYES!") at #1, and Air Supply's "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" at #2.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: R.I.P. Jim Steinman

Post by Rob »

My father used to play Bat out of Hell regularly and I've always had a soft spot for its feeling of grandeur. The title track is a clear personal favorite. And my sister was/ is obsessed with Céline Dion, especially in the nineties and I heard her Steinman recordings endlessly. And of course, in the nineties Meat Loaf had a comeback with I Would Do Anything for Love, so in the nineties I got a very hefty dose of Steinman, even though at the time I didn't know he was the writer/ composer of these songs.

For some he may be a figure of dad rock at its most excessive, but I liked him. R.I.P.
Wezzo
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Wezzo »

A big fan of Steinman's sound, the theatrical vibe and heart-on-sleeve lyrics formula usually worked well for me, even if it did occasionally veer into self-parody. A good dozen or so of his tracks make my top 1000. RIP.
Archangel
Are You Experienced?

Post by Archangel »

I loved Jim when I was young and only recently pulled his music back up on Spotify. I’d forgotten his classic move made when he took the music and backing singers from Stark Raving Love, 3 years after its release in 1981 and turned it into Bonnie Tyler’s Holding Out For A Hero by changing the key...I always wondered what the hell happened ? Did he wake up, get a call from Bonnie who wanted a new hit and couldn’t be bothered to write something that day ? Or did he want to prove that his song was so good that it could be two hits at the same time ?? Who knows ? But they are both amazing songs 🙃🥰
RIP Jim... I am so sad the world of music lost such an incredible composer.
I’m just a girl... (don’t you think I know exactly where I stand ?)
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Rock And Roll Dreams Come Through ... 'nuff said.
Archangel
Are You Experienced?

Post by Archangel »

For some he may be a figure of dad rock at its most excessive, but I liked him. R.I.P.
That description made me smile, although in mine and Spiritualized’s household, Jim counts as “Mum-Rock at its most excessive”... Dad is too busy blasting out Tool (which we all like ) .
I’m just a girl... (don’t you think I know exactly where I stand ?)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”