Moderately Acclaimed Albums 12 - Round 1.8

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 12 - Round 1.8

Post by Brad »

Welcome to Round 1.8 of Moderately Acclaimed Albums!
This will take us to the mid-point of the first round!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Good-spirited comments are encouraged, but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = April 27th at 10am EST.

Here's a link to the bracket for the entire tournament:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=474290

Match-ups:
1. Beach House - 7 vs. The Black Keys - El Camino
2. Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression vs. Ministry - Land of Rape and Honey
3. Wayne Jarrett - Showcase, Vol. 1 vs. Aretha Franklin - Aretha Arrives
4. Madrugada - Industrial Silence vs. The Dukes of Stratosphear - Psonic Psunspot

O sol nas bancas de revista
Me enche de alegria e preguiça
Quem lê tanta notícia
Eu vou...
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 12 - Round 1.8

Post by Listyguy »

4. Madrugada - Industrial Silence vs. The Dukes of Stratosphear - Psonic Psunspot
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Unfortunately, I seem to be falling behind pretty harshly with this game. Luckily, I have heard both of the albums in the top match-up extensively (one of which was actually my nomination, I'll let you guess which).

Last edited by Holden on Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Beach House | 7 (2018)

I could never really warm up to Beach House from the songs I‘ve heard; they just never seemed remarkable enough for me to seek out the albums. „Zebra“ tries hard to create a mythical feel, but maybe it tries too hard because my first association with Beach House is their overly solemn singing of „black and white horse“.
Overly solemn fits the band in general. They try to evoke a feeling of dreamy, mythical mystery, like the things one perceives have another layer of meaning behind them that transcends the original meaning. That‘s why a zebra is not just a zebra, but something worthy of a festive-seeming song.
But that doesn‘t work for me. I never get that feeling (which is entirely due to me, of course) and so I can‘t really enjoy their music a lot. 7 isn‘t different in that regard. As is typical for the genre, they mostly use keyboards and guitar to create a musical background with a certain feeling. What I realized is that their keyboard often sounds like it‘s imitating an organ, which is of course one of the most solemn instruments in the world, but a keyboard fails to capture the magic an organ actually shows. This is because the keyboards creates its sounds electronically while the organ is a huge machinery of pipes and keys and pedals. The sheer force of the organ is missing, but the sound is very similar, especially in „Lemon Glow“ and „Girl of the Year“.
They do try to make the different songs unique, by not all of their methods work. The synth sounds in „Dark Spring“ right when the chorus enters seem out of place, just as the weird sample of somebody shouting „yes“ does in „Woo“. I was intrigued by the chorus-like vocals in „L‘Inconnue“ (probably achieved through mixing), but that ultimately didn‘t entirely convince me.
I am sure that there‘s enough Beach House fans here who feel different and I get that, but they haven‘t convinced me yet.
Highlight: „Black Car“

The Black Keys | El Camino (2011)

Very straightforward guitar-dominated rock music, that delights precisly because of its simplicity. The only thing working against that are the background vocals that sometimes seem a bit too much.
The formula Auerbach and Carney use in these songs stays pretty much the same, but since it works well, there‘s no real reason to change it. The songs do sound a bit alike, some more, some less, but that just contributes to this album having no bad tracks, but also only two tracks that really stand out.
That is the opener and by far the most famous song here, „Lonely Boy“ which is defining the word „catchy“ and shows off Auerbach‘s guitar riffs very well while having the greatest chorus of the album.
My favorite may be „Little Black Submarines“ though, which starts out as an acoustic version before bringing out the electric instruments for a hard rock second part.
Highlights: „Lonely Boy“, „Little Black Submarines“

Iggy Pop | Post Pop Depression (2016)

Another one of those artists whose work is incredibly extensive, but never seemed relevant enough for me to check out after a certain point. The three Stooges albums are classics of course, as are his two solo albums from 1977, even if The Idiot is vastly superior to Lust for Life. I also enjoyed Brick by Brick in MAA last year. I remember Post Pop Depression being quite popular when it came out, but I never really got to it.
My first thought once he starts singing on „Break Into Your Heart“ was how much he sounded like Bowie. Now I know that people always mention him when talking about Iggy Pop because he they worked closely together at the end of the ‚70s. I‘m not trying to reduce his own contributions to his own music, since it sounds completely different from what Bowie did at the same time (both Post Pop Depression and Blackstar were recorded at the same time) and Bowie‘s vocals on his album are quite different from the way he used to sound. So Iggy Pop sounds a bit like Bowie from the ‚70s and ‚80s just from the way he sings his lines. The rest not so much.
The material on the album is mostly straightforward rock with good guitar work, but nothing that blows me away. If I hadn‘t read about Josh Homme producing this album, I wouldn‘t have caught the similarities to Queens of the Stone Age, but knowing it, they share certain characteristics.
Judging from the title, it might seem like this is one of those goodbye albums that seemed to dominate 2016, with David Bowie and Leonard Cohen releasing their introspective, darker final albums. Iggy Pop does do something similar but it‘s also completely different. He does look back upon his life; in „American Valhalla“ he sings: „I've shot my gun, I've used my knife / This hasn't been an easy life / I'm hoping for American Valhalla“, which would fit into the whole introspective „final album“ thing that didn‘t turn out to be true (I don‘t even know if it was ever intended as a final album, but I think I remember reading critics talk about it).
But on „Paraguay“ he‘s off spewing venom at basically everybody which is quite funny. Also funny is whatever is going on in „German Days“ which features what might be the best lyrics on the album: „Germany / Must germinate / Germinate / In a German way“. I have no idea what that means and if it‘s negative or positive, but it just sounds awesome.
Highlights: „In the Lobby“, „Vulture“

Ministry | The Land of Rape and Honey (1988)

The combination of Industrial and Metal seems rather natural, so it‘s surprising it needed ten years until people actually tried it. It works really well, too with hard guitar riffs, electronic effects and machine-like beats. There‘s more structure in the songs than in early Industrial albums, and the songs are clearly distinct from each other. The use of samples is good throughout, particularly on „Abortive“ which features quite a lot of them. I just don‘t care for the Nazi chant sample in the title track, even though it is pretty obviously critical, characterizing the country as the "land of rape of honey", an perversion of the biblical land of milk and honey which was the promised land for Jews. Overall it is a very intense album that I enjoyed a lot.
Highlight: „Stigmata“, „Deity“, „You Know What You Are“, „Flashback“

Wayne Jarrett | Showcase, Vol. 1 (1981)

I‘m really out of depth regarding dub music. I‘ve heard some dub albums, but not enough to really say whether this is good inside the genre or not. What I can say is that I really enjoyed it. It has a nice, relaxing rhythm. There‘s too much going on to call this ambient (and there‘s vocals) but it does have a similar feel to it in parts. The use of wind instruments (or at least what sounds like wind instruments?) is especially pleasant.
Highlights: „Every Tongue Shall Tell“, „Darling Your Eyes“

Aretha Franklin | Aretha Arrives (1967)

Squeezed right between I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You and Lady Soul, her two most acclaimed albums, this really doesn‘t sound nearly as good. Franklin‘s voice was never my favorite; she‘s good in a lot of songs, but she‘s not able to elevate material just by singing it. And the material here isn‘t very good, it‘s rather bland. The producers probably thought it wise for her to record more covers after „Respect“ was a success, but the cover versions fall flat, especially „Satisfaction“. I was never a big fan of the original, but this doesn‘t even come close to matching it. The rest of the album is ultimately lacking in interesting songs and Franklin really is an artist who needs good songs because she can‘t make them good just by herself.
Highlight: „That‘s Life“

Madrugada | Industrial Silence (1999)

Funny that in a week where we have an actual Industrial album, there‘s also an album with Industrial in the title that happens to not sound like Industrial at all. Instead it‘s melancholic rock music that failed to really resonate with me. There are some good songs here (mostly in the middle), but overall I didn‘t enjoy listening to it. The songs all have a similar style (except „Norwegian Hammerworks Corp.“ and „This Old House“) and they don‘t do a lot to vary that style. One of the bigger problems is the length of the tracks. Most of the tracks are about five minutes long, but you could easily cut half a minute out of them and make them better, because they suffer from the „too long outro“ disease. I‘ve read people praising the vocals but I didn‘t find them particularly special. It is certainly decent, but not much more.
Highlights: „Sirens“, „Strange Colour Blue“, „This Old House“

The Dukes of Stratosphear | Psonic Psunspot (1987)

I haven‘t heard any of the albums XTC released in the ‚80s, so I can‘t comment whether this deviates in sound from those albums, but the orientation on the 1960s comes through very clearly to me. It‘s all a bit over the top, but I guess that‘s the point. The entire album seems to be a parody of ‚60s music, but the good kind of parody that stems from deep knowledge of the thing that‘s being parodied. At its best moments this is very catchy pop music that has enough elements to work and is tremendous fun. „You‘re a Good Man Albert Brown (Curse You Red Barrel)“ seems to be the most divisive track because it really doesn‘t hide its laughability, but that‘s what I like about it.
Highlights: „Little Lighthouse“, „You‘re a Good Man Albert Brown (Curse You Red Barrel)“, „Brainiac‘s Daughter“

8 | Beach House | 7 vs. 4 | The Black Keys | El Camino
5 | Iggy Pop | Post Pop Depression vs. 1 | Ministry | The Land of Rape and Honey
3 | Wayne Jarrett | Showcase, Vol. 1 vs. 7 | Aretha Franklin | Aretha Arrives
6 | Madrugada | Industrial Silence vs. 2 | The Dukes of Stratosphear | Psonic Psunspot
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

1. The Black Keys - El Camino
2. Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression
3. Aretha Franklin - Aretha Arrives
4. The Dukes Of Stratosphear - Psonic Psunspot
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Insane match-ups this time. Lots of quality

1. Beach House - 7 (8/10) vs. The Black Keys - El Camino (9)
Beach House's latest is really, really quite good, but El Camino has the much needed uuuumph after the heavily shoegaze-influenced album.
2. Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression (7) vs. Ministry - Land of Rape and Honey (7)
Two evenly rated albums which I felt I needed to have listened to before. Josh Homme's production on Pop's recent album really does the trick. The songs are tight, melodious and rock !. but Ministry takes the top spot with their groundbreaking album of industrial metal. It would pave the way for their 1992 masterpiece "Psalm 69"
3. Wayne Jarrett - Showcase, Vol. 1 (6) vs. Aretha Franklin - Aretha Arrives (7)
The weakest of matchups - but still pretty good. I always has a soft spot for dub, and Showcase is a good delivery, but it can't top the magical voice of Aretha.
4. Madrugada - Industrial Silence (7) vs. The Dukes of Stratosphear - Psonic Psunspot (7)
Another tie in this fourth fight - moody and mysterious Norwegians alt-rockers with probably their best record against XTC (didn't see the need to change the name, there) and their psychedelic pop. Really liked both, but the debut album from the Nordics wins it.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Once again, the pearls amongst the albums I didn't already know were by artists I hadn't heard of before- bravo, nominators!

6. Beach House - 7 v. 1. The Black Keys - El Camino
7. Iggy Pop - Post-Pop Depression v. 2. Ministry - Land of Rape and Honey
4. Wayne Jarrett - Showcase, Vol. 1 v. 5. Aretha Franklin - Aretha Arrives
3. Madrugada - Industrial Silence v. 8. The Dukes of Stratosphear - Psonic Psunspot

Standouts: Dive | Nova Baby | Sunday | You Know What You Are | Bubble up | Ain't Nobody (Gonna Turn Me around) | Beautyproof | You're My Drug
All I got inside is vacancy!
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

4. Madrugada - Industrial Silence

Very happy to see a Madrugada album here.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

El Camino 90 - 7 85
Post Pop Depression 86 - Land Of Rape and Honey 66
Aretha Arrives 84 - Showcase Vol 1 83

Need to find Psunspot.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Jirin wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:22 pm El Camino 90 - 7 85

Need to find Psunspot.

Does this work for you? It's a compilation consisting of a preceding EP and the album starting with "Vanishing Girl".
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Jirin wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:22 pm El Camino 90 - 7 85

Need to find Psunspot.
This official playlist should work:

Psonic Psunspot
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

If there's regional alternate titles can they be listed in the contests?

Although it looks like between what you linked to and the allmusic page, there's 10 songs in common then six others, but tracks 1-10 on allmusic are tracks 7-16 on Spotify, and tracks 1-6 on Spotify are 25 O'Clock, but 11-16 on allmusic are not on the list.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

The choice for album of the week was easy. "El Camino" should not be only "moderately acclaimed," due to its natural catchiness and homogeneous high quality it doesn't feel like an album, it feels more like a greatest hits compilation, every song could have been a hit. Number two was easy too, the recreation of the sixties psychedelic sound by a faux band (an XTC spin-off) is brilliant. Number three was much trickier, the vaporous dub of Wayne Jarrett won to the deep soul of Aretha Franklin if only by a hair.

5. Beach House - 7 (2018) vs. 1. The Black Keys - El Camino (2011)
6. Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression (2016) vs. 8. Ministry - Land of Rape and Honey (1988)
3. Wayne Jarrett - Showcase, Vol. 1 (1981) vs. 4. Aretha Franklin - Aretha Arrives (1967)
7. Madrugada - Industrial Silence (1999) vs. 2. The Dukes of Stratosphear - Psonic Psunspot (1987)

Favourite song from every album:
Lemon Glow | Lonely Boy | Sunday | Stigmata | Brimstone & Fire | Baby, I Love You | Vocal | Vanishing Girl
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Jirin wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:33 pm If there's regional alternate titles can they be listed in the contests?

Although it looks like between what you linked to and the allmusic page, there's 10 songs in common then six others, but tracks 1-10 on allmusic are tracks 7-16 on Spotify, and tracks 1-6 on Spotify are 25 O'Clock, but 11-16 on allmusic are not on the list.
AllMusic is not a very good site to determine what the original tracklist of an album is. Very frequently they use a deluxe or other alternative version as a basis, without specifying this. RateYourMusic, Discogs and Wikipedia always use the first release.
If you look at the page for Psonic Psunspots on AllMusic, you can actually see that many songs from #11 to 16 have duplicates titles with previous tracks, so that's clearly a re-release with probably demos or remixes.

Schüttelbirne already specified that on his playlist the first 6 songs are from a preceding EP, but starting with Vanishing Girl you get the exact right album, all the way to closer Pale and Precious.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

The Black Keys - El Camino
Ministry - Land of Rape and Honey
Aretha Franklin - Aretha Arrives
Madrugada - Industrial Silence
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Beach House - 7
Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression
Wayne Jarrett - Showcase, Vol. 1
Madrugada - Industrial Silence

Favorite album I didn't vote for: The Black Keys - El Camino
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

5 | Beach House | 7
8 | The Black Keys | El Camino

3 | Iggy Pop | Post Pop Depression
6 | Ministry | Land of Rape and Honey

2 | Wayne Jarrett | Showcase, Vol. 1
4 | Aretha Franklin | Aretha Arrives

7 | Madrugada | Industrial Silence
1 | The Dukes of Stratosphear | Psonic Psunspot

Favourite song of the week: The Dukes of Stratosphear | Vanishing Girl
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Rob wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:02 am
Jirin wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:33 pm If there's regional alternate titles can they be listed in the contests?

AllMusic is not a very good site to determine what the original tracklist of an album is. Very frequently they use a deluxe or other alternative version as a basis, without specifying this. RateYourMusic, Discogs and Wikipedia always use the first release.
If you look at the page for Psonic Psunspots on AllMusic, you can actually see that many songs from #11 to 16 have duplicates titles with previous tracks, so that's clearly a re-release with probably demos or remixes.

Schüttelbirne already specified that on his playlist the first 6 songs are from a preceding EP, but starting with Vanishing Girl you get the exact right album, all the way to closer Pale and Precious.
The album is named Chips from the Chocolate Fireball on US Spotify though, so it'd be good to have a call out it cases like this.
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My picks:
...and Yes, I picked Black Keys to win it all...
I confess I didn't know who Wayne Jarrett was before this week. I assumed he was a jazz artist (Wayne Shorter + Keith Jarrett? lol). Very pleased with this album & fits my current mood well.
Had never heard Madrugada before either. Probably my favorite "discovery" so far this tournament.

25 hours left to vote!
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

El Camino is the kind of album I don't like seeing in this game personally, I don't think it was a discovery for most persons.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

7. Beach House - 7 vs. 1. The Black Keys - El Camino
I'm a big fan of Beach House before 7. When that album came out I desperately wanted to love it as I was going to a concert by them, but I never could. 7 is easily my least favorite Beach House record. It just sounds so thick and airless. A few years laters I still don't seem to like it much.
I agree with Nassim that El Camino doesn't feel completely in the spirit of this game, though it was part of Moderately Acclaimed back in 2015 (I think) and didn't win then. In the meantime I can't pretend I don't love it.

3. Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression vs. 2. Ministry - Land of Rape and Honey
Post Pop Depression was another album that didn't impress me upon release, but in contrast to 7 this one suddenly grabbed me now. It's pretty cool. I just like the Ministry album even more.

6. Wayne Jarrett - Showcase, Vol. 1 vs. 5. Aretha Franklin - Aretha Arrives
Showcase, Vol. 1 starts strong, but I feel like the album loses its steam as it goes on. It doesn't help that the songs are all very long with little variety. Aretha Arrives is not a career highlight or anything, but goes down well for the whole length.

4. Madrugada - Industrial Silence vs. 8. The Dukes of Stratosphear - Psonic Psunspot
I've come to notice that the neo-psychedelic music I like the least are the ones that focus heavily on the bells and whistles of the genre; the funny noises and quirky elements. It's why I can't stand Animal Collective and to a lesser extend is why Psonic Psunspot really wears me out after a few songs. It just annoys me before the end. Madrugada is way up my alley. What a voice too!
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

7. 7 < 1. El Camino
2. Post Pop Depression > 8. Land of Rape and Honey
4. Showcase, Vol. 1 > 5. Aretha Arrives
3. Industrial Silence > 6. Psonic Psunspot
hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Post by hectorthebat »

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Psionic Psunspot 85 - Industrial Silence 81
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

20 total voters this week:
Bang Jan
bonnielaurel
Brad
DaveC
hectorthebat
Holden
Honorio
jaimeW
Jirin
Listyguy
Madzong
mileswide
Nassim
Rdwdbob
Rob
Romain
rumpdoll
Safetycat
Schüttelbirne
spiritualized

Winners:
1. The Black Keys - El Camino over Beach House - 7 12-7
2. Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression over Ministry - Land of Rape and Honey 13-6
3. Aretha Franklin - Aretha Arrives over Wayne Jarrett - Showcase, Vol. 1 10-8
4. Madrugada - Industrial Silence over The Dukes of Stratosphear - Psonic Psunspot 10-8

Round 1.9 up soon!
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

The Black Keys - El Camino
Aretha Franklin - Aretha Arrives
The Dukes of Stratosphear - Psonic Psunspot
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”