Moderately Acclaimed Albums 12 - Round 1.7

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 12 - Round 1.7

Post by Brad »

Welcome to Round 1.7 of Moderately Acclaimed Albums!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Good-spirited comments are encouraged, but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = April 20th at 10am EST.

Here's a link to the bracket for the entire tournament:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=474290

Match-ups:
1. The Pentangle - Basket of Light vs. Orange Juice - You Can't Hide Your Love Forever
2. Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby vs. Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing
3. АукцЫон [Auktyon] - Бодун [Hangover] vs. Paul Kelly And The Messengers - Comedy
4. Borokov Borokov - Eerlijk Delen vs. Alain Bashung - Bleu Pétrole

Eenie, meenie, mienie, mo
Whichever way you wanna go
Talk about...
Last edited by Brad on Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 12 - Round 1.7

Post by Listyguy »

1. The Pentangle - Basket of Light vs. Orange Juice - You Can't Hide Your Love Forever
3. АукцЫон [Auktyon] - Бодун [Hangover] vs. Paul Kelly - Comedy
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

The Pentangle | Basket of Light (1969)

Half of the tracks are traditional folk songs with new arrangements, the other half are new compositions that sound very much like the traditional ones (which is a compliment in this case). The group is definitely dedicated to the folk roots of the songs, but uses a different instrumentation, giving them a new exciting layer. The most peculiar instrument to use in traditional English folk music is the sitar which was certainly never intended to be used in conjunction but works admirably. Most songs are primarily sung by Jacqui McShee who has this particular vocal style one often finds in singers of traditional folk music and it works well here, especially when supported by her band colleagues. The vocals are not the focal point for me, however; they‘re nice and work in the song, but they lack a certain personality, which is the most important thing for me when listening to traditional folk music. A guy like Dave Van Ronk makes the songs come alive just with his voice, and this doesn‘t really work here.
The instrumentals make up for that though. It seems like the type of album that was clearly made at the end of the ‚60s, combining two prevalent styles from the decade into a unique style.
Highlights: „Once I Had a Sweetheart“, „Hunting Song“, „The Cuckoo“, „House Carpenter“

Orange Juice | You Can‘t Hide Your Love Forever (1982)

The most important thing first: There is only one true James Kirk, and he doesn‘t play in a Jangle Pop band. The name of the principal vocalist might actually be the most interesting thing about the band. I know that is mean, but they just seem incredibly un-interesting. The guitar playing doesn‘t grab me at all (except in „Tender Object“) and the vocals sound like a bad imitation of Bryan Ferry‘s bombastic, slightly kitschy singing style. The lyrics also don‘t carry a lot of weight, so overall this just seems like the kind of album I forget immediately after listening to it, which is not a good thing.
Highlight: „Tender Object“

Lou Reed | Coney Island Baby (1975)

I had listened to this before, but listening again I realized how little of Lou Reed I have actually listened to, because this is the „newest“ album of his I‘ve actually heard. Considering that he kept releasing material for decades and that Berlin is one of my favorite albums I should probably change that.
Coney Island Baby was released in the same year as Metal Machine Music and is far less interesting but much more well-liked. The songs on it are of the weird type where I should like them because the individual elements do appeal to me, but in most cases it doesn‘t come together. It lacks the certain something Transformer and Berlin had in their songwriting and production despite Reed‘s vocals being very strong throughout. The only track that works fully is the title track which is gorgeous and comes together beautifully.
Highlights: „She‘s My Best Friend“, „Coney Island Baby“

Suzanne Vega | Solitude Standing (1987)

One of those albums that‘s dominated by its hit singles. „Tom‘s Diner“ and especially „Luka“ are just so much more famous than anything else on the album that the expectation I went in with was not encountering anything quite as good as those two. Interestingly, I didn‘t even encounter the version of „Tom‘s Diner“ I‘m familiar with (though it‘s one of those songs that get annoying rather quickly), but rather an a cappella version and an instrumental version. „Luka“ does tower miles above the other tracks here.
Vega‘s songwriting is very focused on telling self-contained stories, but she doesn‘t really have a storyteller voice, it‘s more a voice of a dreamy painter (if that makes sense). A bit more edge in her voice would make a lot of the songs work better for me.
The production doesn‘t help. I don‘t know what it is about ‚80s synthesizers that makes them sound dated and almost ancient, while older music doesn‘t sound that way to me, but I tend to have problems with it. The best track aside from „Luka“ is „Wooden Horse (Caspar Hauser‘s Song)“ which has a dark, mythical feeling to it.
Highlights: „Luka“, „Wooden Horse (Caspar Hauser‘s Song)“

АукцЫон [Auktyon] | Бодун [Hangover] (1991)

I believe one of the biggest obstacles when looking for non-Western music is the alphabet. It wasn‘t too hard to find this album, but I still needed longer than for other albums just because I can‘t write the kyrillic alphabet on my keyboard (technically I probably could, but that would last even longer). I know some bands that want to be recognized on an international level title their tracks and albums in English, like the Chinese indie rock band Hiperson did in their album last year. It‘s just ridiculously hard to find music in different alphabets, but I also don‘t know how to improve that.
Now on to the music: Auktyon‘s type of rock music is very bizarre and I like that a lot. It sounds like a mixture of post-punk and jazz- and folk-influenced art rock. Their riffs are great and their vocal style is very evocative, even if I can‘t understand what they‘re singing. The saxophone is used to great effect and interacts perfectly with all the other elements. There‘s a lot of layers to the individual songs, so I will need to listen to this again to fully grasp it. One of the best discoveries here yet, many thanks to the nominator!
Highlights: „День Победы“, „Сирота“, „Фа Фа Фа“, „Warum?“, „Зима“, „Отлюбил“

Paul Kelly and the Messengers | Comedy (1991)

A rather straightforward singer-songwriter album that‘s nice but never transcends that. One of the most important things for music like this that does depend on the vocals a lot is the voice of the singer and his articulation. Kelly doesn‘t really have that; he does sound good, but he lacks the edge I normally look for. The songs often overstay their welcome, and feature rather cringy lyrics at points.
There‘s also hints of an album that could be way more fun, but as it is, I don‘t really care for it.
Highlight: „Invisible Me“

Borokov Borokov | Eerlijk Delen (2017)

I really had no idea what to expect from this, because neither the artist‘s name nor the album title or cover gave me any indication. I suspected it would not be a metal album because those typically those look different. Instead it‘s a rather enjoyable electronic album with pop influences that occassionally sounds like Synthpop. The songs are colorful and have good ideas, but some of them feel underdeveloped. Most of the songs are on the short side and they‘re very nice, but then I got to „Papiloma“ and that song just towers above the rest. It‘s a bit freaked-out, but that‘s what I like about it, and I kind of wish the album was a bit more like it in general. The electronic melodies and beats are nice, but fail to blow me away.
Highlights: „Dansende Mensen“, „Papiloma“

Alain Bashung | Bleu pétrole (2008)

There‘s a lot of French albums in the tournament this year. Similarly to Paul Kelly‘s album this is a rock-oriented singer-songwriter album, but I prefer this by a lot. A major reason for that is Bashung‘s voice that gives the songs character despite me not understanding a lot. But it‘s not just the vocals: The guitar melodies and string arrangements work together with the voice and never seem too pompous. Instead they help get the best out of each other. From the highlights below I especially want to single out „Comme Un Lego“ which is a wonderful nine-minute-long journey.
Highlights: „Résidents de la République“, „Venus“, „Comme Un Lego“

3 | The Pentangle | Basket of Light vs. 8 | Orange Juice | You Can‘t Hide Your Love Forever
5 | Lou Reed | Coney Island Baby vs. 6 | Suzanne Vega | Solitude Standing
1 | АукцЫон [Auktyon] | Бодун [Hangover] vs. 7 | Paul Kelly | Comedy
4 | Borokov Borokov | Eerlijk Delen vs. 2 | Alain Bashung | Bleu pétrole
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

1. Orange Juice - You Can't Hide Your Love Forever
2. Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby
3. Paul Kelly - Comedy
4. Alain Bashung - Bleu Pétrole
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Three albums not on Spotify this week. Any legal streams anyone can link to for Basket Of Light, Eerlijk Delen or Bleu Patrole?

Solitude Standing 86 - Coney Island Baby 82
Hangover 85 - Comedy 77

Edit: I found Eerlijk Delen, just had band name wrong somehow.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Jirin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:54 pm Three albums not on Spotify this week. Any legal streams anyone can link to for Basket Of Light, Eerlijk Delen or Bleu Patrole?
Basket of Light and Eerlijk Delen (with one track missing) both are on Spotify for me in the United States. Do these work for you:
https://open.spotify.com/album/0A4Okh0tYW7NDq4LUmf59M
https://open.spotify.com/album/4rOoH26Xjc4vfGgwZ0qxEE
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

All three are on Spotify in France.

In any case, Eerlijk Delen is also on soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/borokovborokov/sets/eerlijkdelen
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Now I’m seeing Basket of Light. Still missing Bashing though.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

3. АукцЫон [Auktyon] - Бодун [Hangover] vs. Paul Kelly And The Messengers - Comedy
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Jirin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:04 pm Still missing Bashing though.
Instead of bashing him, have you tried the name spelled as Bashung?

I have it here:
http://open.spotify.com/album/5YIjRpGNnxHJj7yDujLX3h
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

1. The Pentangle - Basket of Light (9) vs. Orange Juice - You Can't Hide Your Love Forever (8)
2. Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby (8) vs. Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing (7)
3. АукцЫон [Auktyon] - Бодун [Hangover] (6) vs. Paul Kelly And The Messengers - Comedy (7)
4. Borokov Borokov - Eerlijk Delen (5) vs. Alain Bashung - Bleu Pétrole(8)
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Strange, I had Résidents de la République on my brain the other day after not having thought about Bleu Pétrole for years:

7. The Pentangle - Basket of Light v. 1. Orange Juice - You Can't Hide Your Love Forever
4. Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby v. 2. Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing
6. АукцЫон [Auktyon] - Бодун [Hangover] v. 5. Paul Kelly - Comedy
8. Borokov Borokov - Eerlijk Delen v. 3. Alain Bashung - Bleu Pétrole

Standouts: House Carpenter | Consolation Prize | Kicks | Luka | Отлюбил | It's All Downhill from Here | Woeste Grond | Résidents de la République
All I got inside is vacancy!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Rob wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:34 pm

I have it here:
I've been searching the correct name, I just typoed in my message. That link only has three of the songs available in my region.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Jirin wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:37 pm
Rob wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:34 pm

I have it here:
I've been searching the correct name, I just typoed in my message. That link only has three of the songs available in my region.
Does this playlist on YouTube work for you?
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMDg ... Vv_bvLSxWQ
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

3. Paul Kelly - Comedy
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The problem with using YouTube links is if they are up there illegally and I stream them at work where I do most of my listening it’s a problem.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Jirin wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:56 am The problem with using YouTube links is if they are up there illegally and I stream them at work where I do most of my listening it’s a problem.
Here is the album on the official chanel of the artist on youtueb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPjbijQ ... cHxZGLD4kI
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Romain wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:39 pm
Jirin wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:56 am The problem with using YouTube links is if they are up there illegally and I stream them at work where I do most of my listening it’s a problem.
Here is the album on the official chanel of the artist on youtueb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPjbijQ ... cHxZGLD4kI
Looks like that’s not available in the US either. I’ll try to find time to listen to it at home.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

4 | The Pentangle | Basket of Light
1 | Orange Juice | You Can't Hide Your Love Forever

3 | Lou Reed | Coney Island Baby
2 | Suzanne Vega | Solitude Standing

6 | АукцЫон [Auktyon] | Бодун [Hangover]
7 | Paul Kelly And The Messengers | Comedy

8 | Borokov Borokov | Eerlijk Delen
5 | Alain Bashung | Bleu Pétrole

Favourite song of the week: Orange Juice | Falling and Laughing
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

The Pentangle - Basket of Light
Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing
АукцЫон [Auktyon] - Бодун [Hangover]
Alain Bashung - Bleu Pétrole
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Archangel
Are You Experienced?

Post by Archangel »

spiritualized wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:36 am 1. The Pentangle - Basket of Light (9) vs. Orange Juice - You Can't Hide Your Love Forever (8)
3. АукцЫон [Auktyon] - Бодун [Hangover] (6) vs. Paul Kelly And The Messengers - Comedy (7)
I’m amazed you chose Lou Reed over Suzanne Vega ! You seemed to be enjoying it with me on Friday night 😶
I’m just a girl... (don’t you think I know exactly where I stand ?)
Archangel
Are You Experienced?

Post by Archangel »

Archangel wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:26 am
spiritualized wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:36 am 1. The Pentangle - Basket of Light (9) vs. Orange Juice - You Can't Hide Your Love Forever (8)
I’m amazed you chose Lou Reed over Suzanne Vega ! You seemed to be enjoying it with me on Friday night 😶

I guess that’s me listening to this list today then...especially Lou Reed’s...though I suspect I won’t make the same choice as you... we’ll see !
LunarPiper
Different Class

Post by LunarPiper »

3. Paul Kelly And The Messengers - Comedy
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Archangel wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:34 am

I guess that’s me listening to this list today then...especially Lou Reed’s...though I suspect I won’t make the same choice as you... we’ll see !
Bon sang, on va avoir des conflits de couple en plein forum maintenant :-)
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Match-ups:
1. The Pentangle - Basket of Light
3. Pass
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

8 albums from 6 different nationalities. But I have a British battle between England and Scotland (well, Bert Jansch from Pentangle was Scottish too) at the top. A battle between Orange Juice fresh debut, a favourite of mine when I was a teenager, and an album I discovered thanks to the seventh edition of this wonderful game, a jewel of British progressive folk. And I'm afraid I'm going to reproduce the battle of Culloden, with England defeating Scotland. P.S. the last Bashung album was also excellent.

1. The Pentangle - Basket of Light (1969) vs. 2. Orange Juice - You Can't Hide Your Love Forever (1982)
5. Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby (1975) vs. 4. Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing (1987)
6. АукцЫон - Бодун (1991) vs. 7. Paul Kelly and The Messengers - Comedy (1991)
8. Borokov Borokov - Eerlijk Delen (2017) vs. 3. Alain Bashung - Bleu Pétrole (2008)

Favourite song from every album:
House Carpenter | Consolation Prize | Coney Island Baby | Luka | День Победы | From Little Things Big Things Grow | Dansende Mensen | Résidents de la République
Archangel
Are You Experienced?

Post by Archangel »

Romain wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:32 am

Suzanne is a HUGE favorite of mine 😉😉😉 It’s worse when he played it to me then voted against her !!! 👀 Especially when we had her concert in Nîmes, which he kindly bought us tickets to, cancelled due to Covid.... I shall sit in the corner of the forum and sulk now 😉😉😉 lol
Archangel
Are You Experienced?

Post by Archangel »

Archangel wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:40 am
Romain wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:32 am
Suzanne is a HUGE favorite of mine 😉😉😉 It’s worse when he played it to me then voted against her !!! 👀 Especially when we had her concert in Nîmes, which he kindly bought us tickets to, cancelled due to Covid.... I shall sit in the corner of the forum and sulk now 😉😉😉 lol
Just had a listen. Lou sings flat, makes grammatical « errors » (sorry but I teach English and have so many students learning bad grammar through songs!!!)... I guess there are about three chords involved. Sorry my love but my vote will cancel yours... 😉
Archangel
Are You Experienced?

Post by Archangel »

2. Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing
3. Paul Kelly And The Messengers - Comedy

(Sorry Spiritualized 😉)
Archangel
Are You Experienced?

Post by Archangel »

Romain wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:33 am Match-ups:
3. Pass

Damn... nobody told me we could pass 😁 I would have gladly passed on that choice too. Good to know !
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Just over 23 hours left to vote!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My picks:

Thanks!
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I feel terrible that I didn't get a chance to listen to the albums in the last 2 matchups; but (to put things mildly) it's been one of those weeks! :( Hopefully, this will be the only time this happens.

The Pentangle - Basket of Light
Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

5. Basket of Light < 3. You Can't Hide Your Love Forever
1. Coney Island Baby > 2. Solitude Standing
4. Бодун [Hangover] > 6. Comedy
8. Eerlijk Delen < 7. Bleu Pétrole
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

2. No time yet to listen
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

1. The Pentangle - Basket of Light vs. 8. Orange Juice - You Can't Hide Your Love Forever
4. Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby vs. 3. Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing
We haven't had one of these line-ups this year, but it is a classic case. One album that's inconsistent, but has very high highs versus an album that is very consistent, but never reaches the same heights. The latter wins out, as is usual again, as consistent albums just tend to be more satisfying. The title song from Coney Island Baby is a huge favorite of mine though.

2. АукцЫон [Auktyon] - Бодун [Hangover] vs. 6. Paul Kelly And The Messengers - Comedy
7. Borokov Borokov - Eerlijk Delen vs. 5. Alain Bashung - Bleu Pétrole
A Dutch-language album not nominated by me and which I haven't heard of? Well, it turn out to be from Belgium and being one of the most obscure records in MAA history. Sadly, I thought it was a rather rigid electronic album, so I can't give my vote to it.
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Winners in red:

Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Rob wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:46 am 7. Borokov Borokov - Eerlijk Delen vs. 5. Alain Bashung - Bleu Pétrole
A Dutch-language album not nominated by me and which I haven't heard of? Well, it turn out to be from Belgium and being one of the most obscure records in MAA history. Sadly, I thought it was a rather rigid electronic album, so I can't give my vote to it.
Honestly, my Borokov Borokov nomination comes mostly from the fact that I had so much fun both times I, completely by chance, saw them live : once when they replaced at the last moment a band that couldn't join at the (pretty fantastic) Micro Festival in Liege, the other time in Antwerp when they played after a Omar Souleyman concert (I think that's the only time I have seen people play AFTER the main act, on a smaller part of the venue)
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

20 total voters this week:
Archangel
Bang Jan
bonnielaurel
Brad
DaveC
Honorio
jaimeW
Jirin
Kingoftonga
Listyguy
LunarPiper
Madzong
mileswide
Rdwdbob
Rob
Romain
rumpdoll
Safetycat
Schüttelbirne
spiritualized

Winners:
1. The Pentangle - Basket of Light over Orange Juice - You Can't Hide Your Love Forever 12-7
2. Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby over Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing 10-9
3. АукцЫон [Auktyon] - Бодун [Hangover] over Paul Kelly And The Messengers - Comedy 10-8
4. Alain Bashung - Bleu Pétrole over Borokov Borokov - Eerlijk Delen 16-1

Round 1.8 up soon!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”